Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Night Blade posted:

S+ was the worst in 1 because you'd then be matched exclusively with the japanese. In a peer to peer game that picked the host that could give the most players a good ping. Meaning it was impossible to play since you'd have 400 ping and your enemies could see you before you could see them.

https://www.twitch.tv/its_power_/videos/all

This guy is S+ now and is a super good charger who does insane, accurate flick shots.

Nice, looks like there are sub-ranks to S+ now to show how many times you've filled the gauge. So S+ essentially has sub-ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

that's me in the green hair, hidden by the bubble. Annaki face mask, school top, and some ink saver main red something shoes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shame Boner posted:

Nah it was a pretty straightforward joke about the ambiguity of the word "sponge" that the localization team threw in there intentionally.

Haha, no.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wendell posted:

Haha, no.

Agreed.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I wish the stores would always restock with stuff you don't own. I think when I checked the shops this morning I owned all the new items except 2 or 3 in each shop

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is there a way to sell/drop an item? A few of the rare/common main abilities, you'll get locked out of them if you get the "wrong" one first and then it just marks as Owned without the option to buy and swap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nephzinho posted:

Is there a way to sell/drop an item? A few of the rare/common main abilities, you'll get locked out of them if you get the "wrong" one first and then it just marks as Owned without the option to buy and swap.

Get it through Merch or the SplatNet Store and you can swap'em.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get it through Merch or the SplatNet Store and you can swap'em.

Figured that was going to be the tedious response. Especially considering the case i ran into I wanted the common ability from the store after I had bought the rare ability from splatnet.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There's no prestige system in this like other modern shooters right? Just hit whatever the max level is and you're there forever?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Lakbay posted:

There's no prestige system in this like other modern shooters right? Just hit whatever the max level is and you're there forever?

Not solo, at least. Get a buddy or three more and hit the leagues for a chance to hit the top of the charts.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I actually liked the "using newbie weapons again" aspect of prestige systems more than the "look at how much of my life I've wasted" part

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've discovered that I have two kinds of matches.

In one, I play heroically, I am squidkid incarnate, I make magnificent plays that capture the zone or whatever singlehandedly and get tri and quad kills before dying, but my moronic team can't hold the objective and we end up losing by like two points and I get docked despite playing amazingly.

In the other I am trash from the garbage and I spend my time running into enemy lines saying "please shoot me" and my amazing team carries me to a resounding shutout victory and I am covered in accolades.

There is no middle ground.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Adjusting to Splatoon rules and mechanics again took a little while but after playing a lot of Overwatch in the time between these games I feel like my mechanical skill has improved as well as my sense of positioning and when I should hold my ground vs when I should run away. I used to be pretty bad with all the guns and while I still prefer sloshers/rollers/brushes, I can hold my own usings splattershots and such since my aim isn't trash anymore. Think it also helps that the pro controller default sensitivity feels better to me than the Wii U gamepad did.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Everyone keeps saying rollers are the newbie weapon but I've never been able to wrap my head around them and I always do poorly and place at the bottom even on turf war

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

Everyone keeps saying rollers are the newbie weapon but I've never been able to wrap my head around them and I always do poorly and place at the bottom even on turf war

Lay it down and roll to glory while running around the map. Avoid Bad Guys altogether if you want, just laying down ink is the key to victory anyway. If you see someone, run them down like an errant cyclist on the road. The flick is an emergency ranged attack that's best used for getting the little poo poo thinking they're safe on a ledge above you.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The vertical flick has pretty crazy range

Don't try to roll fools with the carbon roller

The horizontal flick is the way to murder anyone who knows you're there, rolling is best if you're being a proper ninja.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I mean I'm slightly past the newbie phase but I was talking about being like those people in ranked who pop out of nowhere to do a flick.

Give me a shooter and I can usually get a 50%+ victory on turf war consistently

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Lakbay posted:

The real trick is that rollers (and nearly every short range gun) are stealth weapons. If you aren't painting the back lines, you should be hidden until you get an opportunity to blindside someone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

I mean I'm slightly past the newbie phase but I was talking about being like those people in ranked who pop out of nowhere to do a flick.

Give me a shooter and I can usually get a 50%+ victory on turf war consistently

If you want to get sneaky-flicking, your best weapon is the Brushes. Wear something that gives you stealth swimming, then just leap up out of nowhere and splatter people right in their faces with the Brush or Octobrush :supaburn:.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I've never been killed by a roller that's rolling from the front, except if I run out of ink. All my kills from being rolled are ones I didn't see. Newbies with the roller tend to just roll nonstop, which honestly is probably more beneficial to their team in the end.

Edit: ^^^^ Oh god the brushes, the brushes are god drat murder machines and I die to those so god drat much. I don't know what it is about them, they're deceptive or something, but if someone comes at me with a brush I'm a dead squid :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shortspecialbus posted:

I've never been killed by a roller that's rolling from the front, except if I run out of ink. All my kills from being rolled are ones I didn't see. Newbies with the roller tend to just roll nonstop, which honestly is probably more beneficial to their team in the end.

Edit: ^^^^ Oh god the brushes, the brushes are god drat murder machines and I die to those so god drat much. I don't know what it is about them, they're deceptive or something, but if someone comes at me with a brush I'm a dead squid :(

Try the Slosher or Tri-Slosher, they're a good compromise between the Roller and Brushes if you want something you can splash people in the face with. It reaches a little further than their flick if you aim high, and it is brutal in Tower Mode if you use it properly.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
About 2 or 3 days ago, B ranks Tower Control was 90% brushes and buckets

It's funny to see the dominating type changing each day. Like one day I was thinking "I need something to outrange all these brushes" and then I went into a game and everyone had the same mindset and brought chargers and jet squelchers

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lakbay posted:

It appears that "prestige" is simply "higher than S+". So if you get S+ and rank up, you go to S+1 and start fresh. If you rank up again? S+2. etc.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am late to figuring this out.... but you seriously can't get into a group of 2/3/4 or however many people and just play Turf Wars with voice chat with 4 randoms online? Like I want to play with a friend online, but if it's just me and them, all we can do is go online and play a match against each other 1 on 1 and therefore not even be able to talk to each other becaue we are on different teams?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You can join on a friend who's playing turf war but you're not guranteed to be on the same side. Use discord or something if you wanna chat.

The online lobby thing that integrates with the phone app kind of blows and can only be used for custom matches and salmon runs.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

(Warning: Kotaku.) It was an issue that pro players brought up. But I might've misunderstood them and it was for league mode or something.
I've seen all of 4 japanese players but I haven't tried playing at 2am in PST yet and I'm very VERY VERY happy about this because the lag was crushing me.

But yes I want to confirm this game is absolutely defaulting to regional first world second now.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

You can join on a friend who's playing turf war but you're not guranteed to be on the same side. Use discord or something if you wanna chat.

The online lobby thing that integrates with the phone app kind of blows and can only be used for custom matches and salmon runs.

In my experience, if you play with 1 friend, you'll be on the opposing side 4 out of 5 matches. There was a p big rank/skill disparity between us, though, so it maybe takes that into account.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Lakbay posted:

Oh poo poo totally going to use those, glad to see they stole transforming weapons from CoD: Infinite Warfare

I think I've found my home in Rainmaker, I'll go on a win streak in C+, then go on a lose streak in B- :(

When are we gonna get to the splat brella factory?!?!?! *sobs*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its weird to see people actually using brushes when in Splatoon 1 I basically never saw anyone aside from me with one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shame Boner posted:

Nah it was a pretty straightforward joke about the ambiguity of the word "sponge" that the localization team threw in there intentionally.

They did not put a sex joke in Splatoon. No, not even one that would go over most kids heads. You're reading way too hard into that dude.

The level has sponges on it. That's it. Not everything is a reference. Family Guy broke people's brains or something.

Wendell posted:

Haha, no.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, that's not the original dual squelcher, that's squelcher dualies. That's new!

But if it fires more or less the same way then it's all good. It was my favourite gun in the first game so I hope these are still similar.

EDIT: wait, holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Nintendo_SW/status/890867013668810752
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/890861729567068161

It can function as dualies OR as a single OG dual squelcher, somehow. Not sure how the switching mechanic works but niiiice.

UHHHHHHH HOLY poo poo I WAS HYPE FOR DUAL SQUELCHERS BEFORE BUT NOW I'M MEGA HYPE TO TRY THEM OUT

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shortspecialbus posted:

In my experience, if you play with 1 friend, you'll be on the opposing side 4 out of 5 matches. There was a p big rank/skill disparity between us, though, so it maybe takes that into account.

Unless you're playing on League it definitely takes that into account.

If you find yourselves constantly on the opposite team, leave the lobby and find a new one. If not enough players leave you'll just play against the same people each match and the teams won't get jumbled around as much.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Unless you're playing on League it definitely takes that into account.

If you find yourselves constantly on the opposite team, leave the lobby and find a new one. If not enough players leave you'll just play against the same people each match and the teams won't get jumbled around as much.

Eh, it was like that in about 6 lobbies, since we left to switch weapons a bit. I was rank 11ish, he was rank 3, I was consistently #1 on my team, he was consistently #4 on his team, so I suspect that's really the meat of it right there. Although I'd think that would be a good pairing to make things even. We tried me joining on his game and vice-versa too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lakbay posted:

There is nothing newbie about carbon roller. You move fast and have to know what you're doing to actually get splats.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The N-Zapper is the best newbie weapon imho. Fantastic ink coverage, good ink efficiency, great sub and special, no gimmicks.

The Splattershot Jr is friggin fantastic though.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 28, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I am late to figuring this out.... but you seriously can't get into a group of 2/3/4 or however many people and just play Turf Wars with voice chat with 4 randoms online? Like I want to play with a friend online, but if it's just me and them, all we can do is go online and play a match against each other 1 on 1 and therefore not even be able to talk to each other becaue we are on different teams?

Naw, Nintendo doesn't want a coordinated team to steamroll turf war

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Zelder posted:

Naw, Nintendo doesn't want a coordinated team to steamroll turf war

It's fun to shoot your friends anyways, I had an 8 person discord game in pub servers not too long ago, everyone got to splat and chat

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
turf war is yakety sax anyways and lol if you get mad that you can't roll 10 year olds in it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's fun to shoot your friends anyways, I had an 8 person discord game in pub servers not too long ago, everyone got to splat and chat

Splat and squid bag your friends! I get into squid bagging wars when I play against my friends. It's good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i absolutely don't mind just joining a general game lobby with friends and occasionally playing with or against them, that's one of the things i enjoyed most about team fortress 2 and one of the things i missed the most about overwatch. sometimes it's just fun to get into duels with your friends.

i just seriously wish there was a way to queue up for games together at all rather than having one person join a game and then hope your friend can join in on you before the round starts