Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
You can still recycle them right before they break for a couple mats, but yeah you can't repair them or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just a reminder when you are putting things in the collection book, it is the schematic not the items.

I dumped a bunch of xp into a schematic for a gun I liked, had a gun almost broken so I was like hey i'll just put it in the collections, good bye schematic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BadLlama posted:

Just a reminder when you are putting things in the collection book, it is the schematic not the items.

I dumped a bunch of xp into a schematic for a gun I liked, had a gun almost broken so I was like hey i'll just put it in the collections, good bye schematic.

Mentioned this earlier, but if you favorite a schematic/hero/defender/survivor you can't put it in the book or recycle it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

I would really like the game, but this is the only place on the internet that isn't complaining about how it is seemingly impossible to level up and upgrade once you hit a certain point without dropping a bunch of cash.

From what I am reading once you hit a point a certain currency just stops appearing and the only way to level/upgrade is severely time gated. Have any of you guys hit that point?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
This is what the devs posted on the official forums re Progression

quote:

Homebase Power is key
Unlock survivor slots - Survivor Squads account for the majority of your Homebase power. Make sure to slot matching leaders to squad, and then personalities to leaders when you can.

Level Up Uncommon (green) Survivors - They are an efficient way to gain power in Plankerton. Most of the XP is returned when you retire them. You need to spend survivor XP to gain power, don’t horde!

Slot and level up your Support and Tactical Heroes - These Heroes share their stats to the primary hero and provide significant boosts to health, shields, and ability damage. Even Uncommon Heroes are huge wins here.

Research provides power over time - Make sure to gather this every day and upgrade the F.O.R.T. stats and unlock Survivor slots.

Play missions for Drops of Rain and Survivor XP. You’ll need Drops of Rain for evolution, and you’ll need lots of Survivor XP to level all those Leads and Survivors.

Team up with others - Teaming up provides big boosts to Homebase power. A portion of your F.O.R.T. stats are shared with each party member.

How to pick appropriate difficulty missions

Your level for combat is based on three numbers - Homebase Power, Hero Power, Weapon Power - When all these match and you play a matching difficulty you will be on level for game.
If one of those numbers is below focus on improving that area.
What happens if you are off level? You need more bullets, you are more squishy, you build more to slow husks down, generally the game feels more grindy.

F.O.R.T. Stats Explained

Fortitude - Improves health. If you are getting killed too fast you may not have enough Fortitude.
Offense - Improves weapon damage, both melee and ranged. If it takes too long to kill husks, focus on Offense.
Resistance - Improves shield and shield regen. Best way to improve your survivability for quick moving players.
Tech - Improves ability damage, and traps. Key for Ninja’s skills, and players who use lots of traps.

F.O.R.T. stats are improved through Survivor Squads, Skill Tree, and Reasearch Tree. They are the primary driver of Homebase power.

Getting More Stuff

Mission Alerts - You may have noticed some zones with a little clock on them. These have better rewards that can be collected up to three times per day. Watch for these, they have Drops of Rain, XP, Schematics, and V-bucks in rare cases.

Dailies - You get one daily per day, you can have up three, and can abandon one per day and get a new one.

Quests - Look at the Quest Journal, there are quests that provide V-Bucks, Heroes, Schematics, Leads, and Survivors. Do these quests to help unlock things you need. As we iterate we’ll be adding more quests.

Expeditions - Send your extra Heroes out to find Survivors, rewards of these still require more balance, as a passive reward they provide a steady drip of Survivors.

Llamas - Purchased with V-Bucks, Earned from Outpost Defenses (Help a friend!), given as daily rewards either from the Founders Pack or from the Daily Reward progression.
Transform keys - Combine commons, and uncommons to get rares. When you’re ready start combining Survivors to get ones you need.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Raged posted:

From what I am reading once you hit a point a certain currency just stops appearing and the only way to level/upgrade is severely time gated. Have any of you guys hit that point?

No. But when that happens, I will pretend the game is susbcritption based and buy 15€ montly. If the game is not fun, I will stop playing.

I am playing this game until Destiny 2 release, anyway. I may even played it every time I dont have anything better to play. I played Dungeons Defenders 1 a long time and simply grinding was really chilling.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

the panacea posted:

This is what the devs posted on the official forums re Progression

Transform keys - Combine commons, and uncommons to get rares. When you’re ready start combining Survivors to get ones you need.

Do note that with these Transforms, keep an eye on the results window on the right. You might select a Transform key that will give you a Rare, but you need to use enough material components (people, heroes, etc.) to move that bar far enough over for the reward to tell you you're getting your Rare thing. If you only put in a token amount, it'll show a bit of experience or an Uncommon (green) result instead.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Raged posted:

I would really like the game, but this is the only place on the internet that isn't complaining about how it is seemingly impossible to level up and upgrade once you hit a certain point without dropping a bunch of cash.

It's a micro-transaction based gacha game from the worst depths of mobile monetization hell. It's a given that there's going to be a grind/pay/time gate. If you know how all the game systems work, are lucky, or are good you can push it back a little further but it's always going to be lurking back there. If that bothers you, you should give the entire monetization scheme a miss. That said the game is the only attempt at a PvE Rust that's been made so far. I'm both ok with repeating the same content over again, and am interested enough in a PvE Rust that I'm having fun.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Do you think we should have a discord group to coordinate stuff like Storm Shield defences and whatnot?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The F2P stuff is definitely too far along the Bullshit Meter at this point. It's telling that the devs are great at responding to everything except the monetisation model.

I probably sunk about £80 into ME3 but it was always after I'd had a good game and thought I'd chuck 'em a few quid or they'd just released a good, free, expansion DLC for it. Buying microtransactions for a game I'm enjoying or that has some fun new toys available feels very different to buying microtransactions just to progress and no way am I in for the latter. Like the poster above said, I'd happily pay the equivalent to a subscription fee in microtransactions if the content keeps coming but dropping bucks just to play the same map with higher numbers, and no other way to progress? gently caress that.

The basic gameplay is really solid, I'm liking the game, but really hope they don't kill it with nickel and diming.

00Fresh
Sep 4, 2004

What gets me is on Xbox it says closed beta, yet there is physical copies of the game on store shelves. Doesn't say poo poo on the box about "hey you're paying $60 to be in a beta." I'm enjoying the game and my rear end isn't too chapped about that but I can totally see someone angrily ranting on the internet if they knew no better and picked up a copy and it said that poo poo when they launched it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Vitamin P posted:

The F2P stuff is definitely too far along the Bullshit Meter at this point. It's telling that the devs are great at responding to everything except the monetisation model.

I probably sunk about £80 into ME3 but it was always after I'd had a good game and thought I'd chuck 'em a few quid or they'd just released a good, free, expansion DLC for it. Buying microtransactions for a game I'm enjoying or that has some fun new toys available feels very different to buying microtransactions just to progress and no way am I in for the latter. Like the poster above said, I'd happily pay the equivalent to a subscription fee in microtransactions if the content keeps coming but dropping bucks just to play the same map with higher numbers, and no other way to progress? gently caress that.

The basic gameplay is really solid, I'm liking the game, but really hope they don't kill it with nickel and diming.

The devs were really vocal and communicative during the alpha/beta - right up until the monetisation model went live and they went eerily silent.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

00Fresh posted:

What gets me is on Xbox it says closed beta, yet there is physical copies of the game on store shelves. Doesn't say poo poo on the box about "hey you're paying $60 to be in a beta." I'm enjoying the game and my rear end isn't too chapped about that but I can totally see someone angrily ranting on the internet if they knew no better and picked up a copy and it said that poo poo when they launched it.

On PS4 was even more weird, because was "released" month ago, but for alpha testers only. Still listed as "released" for months.

The developers don't seems your average game developer. They seems more a bunch of junior devs + middleware software people. They probably know how to use the middleware of the digital shops, and do things with this that no others do.

Like Fortnite, of all games, have special integration with Twitch (Viewers quests), or Fortnite PS4 have crossplay with PC and Xbox have crossplay with PC.

So yea, this is a game made by game middleware developers. IMHO. Different type of people (more hardcore, in some ways worse game devs) than normal game developers.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 28, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

jimmydalad posted:

Do you think we should have a discord group to coordinate stuff like Storm Shield defences and whatnot?

Skandranon posted:

From the private game server thread, there's a Discord server available at https://discord.gg/qC4Qjtf
(I had to go back a few pages to find it, so no judgement.)

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I read you can leave games and keep the resources you gained in that game. If that's the case, couldn't you and 3 friends setup supply drop farms while building where you just enter games, all do a supply drop and collect them, then leave and repeat til max resources again?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The llama ui is misleading. One of the llama offers had an x3 on it so I thought buying it would give me 3. Turns out it only gives you one and you can buy max of three. :/

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Akumos posted:

I read you can leave games and keep the resources you gained in that game. If that's the case, couldn't you and 3 friends setup supply drop farms while building where you just enter games, all do a supply drop and collect them, then leave and repeat til max resources again?

It's true because the three basic resources of wood stone and brick are no big deal.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Snagged a free copy of the game from a friend. Thank gently caress I did not pay for this. No long post from me I found the perfect review that sums up my feelings about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUHc9q0KSUg

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

The two arugements I hear against this game are "It's too easy" and "You need luck to RNG a good gun to progress." WHICH ONE IS IT??

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Everyone just got 15 free Llamas, log in and use them!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cheen posted:

The two arugements I hear against this game are "It's too easy" and "You need luck to RNG a good gun to progress." WHICH ONE IS IT??

I love to answer you, but I also hate to answer you.

Neither is correct:

Yes, it takes around 20 hours to get into the "good stuff". But is really a buffer so you get a handle of the game, and a space where people that want the game to be easy they can chill around.

The game looting is RNG over RNG over RNG, this generally produce haves and haves not. People that opened a dumb llama and got everything, and others that after investing 1800$ in the game they only have One mythic anything. But you don't need mythics anything. People are just slowly losing their mind over higher quality loot. Where the game is just FUN FUN FUN if you play it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

This game gives you a lot of RNG and stats to sperg over and the truly damned autists can implode over them.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Are there any good written guides to Storm Shield building? I tried to do some goofy poo poo with pathing but I don't know where the threshold is between "ok i'll try to walk around" and "gently caress it let's go straight through"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nechronic posted:

Are there any good written guides to Storm Shield building? I tried to do some goofy poo poo with pathing but I don't know where the threshold is between "ok i'll try to walk around" and "gently caress it let's go straight through"

I don't know any. Some random dude just posted this in reddit, and could be worth testing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6q486u/plankerton_shield_1_solo_0_shots_fired/

The problem of shield defenses, is that you don't know where the attack will come from, so is hard to guess where to put defenses first.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Akumos posted:

Everyone just got 15 free Llamas, log in and use them!

Oh poo poo, is this an accident or will this still be there tonight? :ohdear:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

15 Llamas, 0 legendaries and about 3-4 rares I would of been upset had I spent 15 bucks on this, many F2P games have some currency that you get out of boxes that stacks up that you can use to buy things if RNG is not your friend, they could use that here.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's incredibly irritating that I'm able to upgrade 2 different types of weapons to 3-star right now while I'm only on page 3 out of 13 of the plankerton storyline quests - which means that if I wasn't paying attention and pulled the trigger on an upgrade, I would be literally unable to make any of my "good" weapons for probably another 12-16+ hours of playtime due to being physically unable to get the resources they need. That's really poor design, as you aren't given any kind of warning or indicator that you're about to gently caress yourself.

Hell, I'm still short on the current-zone rare material (silver) and I go out of my way every few matches to run around and try to find more.

On a positive note, once you unlock research tree 2, both your "claimed" and "unclaimed" point limit massively increases so you don't have to worry about logging in every ~9.5 hours or risk losing research points. Unfortunately everything in the second tree starts out at 1600 points and goes up from there. I expect the next "generate points faster" node is in skill tree 3, which again, is going to be at least 12-16+ hours of playtime away. Whew.

Nechronic posted:

I tried to do some goofy poo poo with pathing but I don't know where the threshold is between "ok i'll try to walk around" and "gently caress it let's go straight through"

It feels like they updated the pathing AI to be "dumber" recently. Had several instances where they should have funneled into my death road but just attacked the closest wall block instead. Rather annoying, have stopped wasting resources on pre-building trap corridors in favor of just slapping down a few floors/spikes near enemy spawns on an ad-hoc basis.

Also if anyone else is using that Reshade thing from a page or two back, what are your custom settings/tweaks? Been playing around with it a bit and haven't really found any I strongly like yet. Using AdaptiveSharpen, HDR, Technicolor2 (turned way down), and Vibrance filters.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 28, 2017

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

I don't know any. Some random dude just posted this in reddit, and could be worth testing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6q486u/plankerton_shield_1_solo_0_shots_fired/

The problem of shield defenses, is that you don't know where the attack will come from, so is hard to guess where to put defenses first.

Thanks, this looks useful. Now to tear down my entire base by hand :negative:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

Very interesting. He's saying that their pathing takes into consideration the total wall health between them and where they're going. Which would potentially explain why they don't walk very far out of their way for a single line of low walls.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tei posted:

Because you can't easily predict the angle of attack, you need a more generalist solution. You want to give yourself time to adapt to changing situations. First step is to make sure you have your sheild/amplifiers protected from direct attack. Next, you establish further lines of defense, with the idea being you can easily fall back to regroup without your main objectives being damaged. Once you can do that, you can start creating chokepoints where you can maximize your damage, but you don't want to over-invest in any one area.

See Defense in Depth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_in_depth

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

sushibandit posted:

It feels like they updated the pathing AI to be "dumber" recently. Had several instances where they should have funneled into my death road but just attacked the closest wall block instead. Rather annoying, have stopped wasting resources on pre-building trap corridors in favor of just slapping down a few floors/spikes near enemy spawns on an ad-hoc basis.

I... don't think that's 'dumber' really. If anything, its meant to have you build an actual base around your objective/chokepoints instead of making an effortless trap tunnel.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Is there a cap on founder's coins that I'm missing? I got at least 400 founders coin drops out of the 15 free llamas but I was only able to afford one founders pack when I was finished opening them all.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I'm not too far into this game but I am liking it a lot because orcs must die was my jam when it was new. It really feels to me like an expanded version of omd where you build everything instead of just traps.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Maybe a cap on how many founder packages you can get??

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nechronic posted:

Is there a cap on founder's coins that I'm missing? I got at least 400 founders coin drops out of the 15 free llamas but I was only able to afford one founders pack when I was finished opening them all.

You did not get 400 founders coins out of 15 lamas, thats not the rate you get them. You probably misinterpreted the numbers on them as they will show you the number you are at with that one added in.

Normally you get about 10 coins per standard lama

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
If you maze/funnel strat is failing it's because you didn't build enough deterrents on the outside. You need to stack multiple walls.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

wjs5 posted:

You did not get 400 founders coins out of 15 lamas, thats not the rate you get them. You probably misinterpreted the numbers on them as they will show you the number you are at with that one added in.

Normally you get about 10 coins per standard lama

Oh, that makes sense. I just assumed that you were getting what was on the card since that's the way most of the cards work, isn't it?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Akumos posted:

If you maze/funnel strat is failing it's because you didn't build enough deterrents on the outside. You need to stack multiple walls.

Right, the AI basically tries to figure out the shortest way to the objective, with fewest barriers and least traps in its path. Of course, since they spawn a fair direction away, they spread out enough to find different ways though if you let them through they'll notably go for the same weak point.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Drakenel posted:

Right, the AI basically tries to figure out the shortest way to the objective, with fewest barriers and least traps in its path. Of course, since they spawn a fair direction away, they spread out enough to find different ways though if you let them through they'll notably go for the same weak point.

Yeah, this didn't show up as much in OMD because the spawn points were so much more concentrated at the rifts, so they were much easier to predict and funnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

A couple pages back, people were mentioning selling their extra standard codes for $20. Anyone got extras? I am apparently dumb enough to spend $20 on a gacha hype train. PM me or leave an email address or something.

I have been helped.

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 28, 2017

• Locked thread