Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Hosted servers are one of the least interesting parts (and probably also the worst-implemented aspect, not coincidentally) of Azure. If your workload is best described as "a bunch of servers", you're already not the right target market.

They had little interest in pitching us a way forwards from our existing non-proprietary stuff to Azure based solutions. Even when we told them we would pay a premium to spin up in countries which are a pain to land hardware in (India, China) answering technical questions about their global backbone was a non-starter for them. Everyone we met ignored anything remotely technical, assuming they were talking to a PC World the-cloud-will-solve-your-problems reading CTO. We gave them a list of questions, requirements, and a target budget 2 weeks ahead of a meeting where 3? 4? people flew in to pitch us (CTO, myself, another technical lead) with none of the questions answered. We wound up cutting the meeting short. It was embarrassing.

Amazon comes prepared.

Vulture Culture posted:

e: The latency story for real-time applications on multi-tenant cloud environments isn't very compelling, either.

This is the killer for us. We're ms not μs but it's still a show stopper when you're aiming to be around 160ms from the browser and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Need a tip or two.

We have a OMGCLOUD application that's basically the internal company site - purchasing, project mgmt, HR, etc. Developed in-house on a pretty robust low-code platform.

It can sync with AD and authenticate users that way but what it can't do (and what I'd really like it to be able to do) is write back to AD for password resets and group memberships. Anyone know if a thing exists that can sit between the two and facilitate that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ADFS, Okta, OneLogin, Azure AD. There's a lot of identity providers that can handle this for you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Triggered from all directions. Better check that drive capacity....

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

H110Hawk posted:

The people you lose moving to the cloud are the datacenter staff, not sysadmins. (HVAC, Electricians, remote hands, janitors, shipping logistics.) Until you're into literally running your own space wholesale (DuPont Fabros, Digital Realty) this isn't a problem you have regardless. Honestly it sounds like the same kool-aid we've been being fed about ~The Cloud~ (jazz hands) solving all of our problems. You can make the same stupid mistakes on other peoples servers as your own servers such as never turning over hardware, provisioning things such that they can never be turned off for maintenance, no DR, no BCP, etc.

This is a serious question: As someone who has picked up the phone when Azure called and then desperately tried to let them pitch it to me, how are you making any sales? Is it just the same slew of people who tried out AWS previously and got scared, "Thank God microsoft has a cloud now!" people, and the ever present march of people believing the cloud will solve their problems? Your sales team is awful. I went through literally 3 sets of them including getting "executives" on the phone who were going to "get to the bottom of it" but they could not produce a BOM that looked anything remotely correct, nor answer any technical questions we asked. It was like being sold HP hardware where halfway through the pitch you realize no one in the room knows what they're talking about and insist you use the hp dot com waking nightmare.

Do you know the difference between IaaS, PaaS and SaaS? Have you used Office 365 or any other cloud product?

Either way, PaaS and SaaS chops at traditional system administration roles of patching, monitoring, maintenance. It's true this is largely at the physical level but there's no longer need to be concerned with patching, upgrades, etc. 3rd-Party products for things Disaster Recovery and Backup are pretty much built into the platform. Once PaaS starts to scale - think of databases, queues, tables,proxies, IIS, etc. as a service it's going to get real.

I can't comment on sales, since I don't work on that side of the business and I'm sorry you had a negative experience but the whole :cloud: thing is very, very real.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Hosted servers are one of the least interesting parts (and probably also the worst-implemented aspect, not coincidentally) of Azure. If your workload is best described as "a bunch of servers", you're already not the right target market.

If all you can do is describe your workload as "a bunch of servers" it sounds like you shouldn't be in IT in the first place.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am watching two directors have an honest to god fight via emails. They're currently comparing how long each has been in IT as a measure of who knows more, and director A is asking if director B knows how to run his department. :munch:

mewse
May 2, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am watching two directors have an honest to god fight via emails. They're currently comparing how long each has been in IT as a measure of who knows more, and director A is asking if director B knows how to run his department. :munch:

Lol that's so unprofessional. Putting it in email makes it even worse.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

If all you can do is describe your workload as "a bunch of servers" it sounds like you shouldn't be in IT in the first place.

Well, there's still a strong tendency on a lot of IT departments to think of what they do ask "keeping the servers running" as opposed to delivering services. It's a forest and trees problem. The servers are a tool, the end goal is to provide some service to the users that has value. But traditional sysadmins work on servers so they get in the mindset of equating the servers with the services. So when they think about moving to the cloud they think about how to move their servers rather than thinking more broadly about how they can leverage the broad set of PaaS and SaaS offerings to provide the same set of services in a different way, either better or cheaper, or both.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mewse posted:

Lol that's so unprofessional. Putting it in email makes it even worse so much easier to share with friends!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Meltdowns are always welcome in email I'm CC'd in.

The only time I've seen one go on for more two messages is when someone sent an email sent an email to group that apparently had the entire company as a member. I got my bonus entertainment in that. First you get the usual bounces around to several thousand addresses, and the inevitable replies asking everyone to not reply-all, and the comedians decided to reply to that with a "I agree". Eventually a VP loses his god damned mind and starts threatening everyone who has or will replied to the chain with disciplinary action up to and including termination. By the time he got to that stage, It was unclear if by "termination" meant end their employment or their lives.

That's about when the messaging team killed the email and then sent out a reminder to everyone (BCC'd this time) to use BCC and double check distribution lists/group membership when sending group emails.

About 2 months after that an email was sent out (again BCC'd) thanking VP for his service and that was leaving to pursue other opportunities. I'm sure that last part is coincidence.

I still have the entire chain (from like 3 years ago) in it's own special folder in an archive. But it would be such a pain in the rear end to remove all identifying information to share with the world I'll probably end up getting rid of that masterpiece. As is, I can only pull it out to obsess over it like I'm Charles Foster Kane.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 28, 2017

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Does anyone here use Veeam to push backups to AWS or Azure (or elsewhere)?

I'm trying to put together a solution to replace our current 'physical tape-to-iron mountain' routine. Right now we use EMC Networker for the physical tape backups, but we do have a license for Veeam and from what I've been reading, the AWS VTL storage gateway looks promising. We also have a regulatory requirement to keep monthly backups of customer data for 7 years, so the ability to archive virtual tapes to glacier looks good for keeping long-term retention costs down.

Anyone have any guidance or resources on this subject? A lot of what I'm finding doesn't go into great detail. Veeam's cloud connect options seem expensive and I don't know if I want to rely on an additional 3rd party.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I'm trying to put together a solution to replace our current 'physical tape-to-iron mountain' routine. Right now we use EMC Networker for the physical tape backups, but we do have a license for Veeam and from what I've been reading, the AWS VTL storage gateway looks promising. We also have a regulatory requirement to keep monthly backups of customer data for 7 years, so the ability to archive virtual tapes to glacier looks good for keeping long-term retention costs down.

Anyone have any guidance or resources on this subject? A lot of what I'm finding doesn't go into great detail. Veeam's cloud connect options seem expensive and I don't know if I want to rely on an additional 3rd party.

I would like to read about experiences in this as well please.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I do this.

I have 1 physical server with 3 VM's that are backed up to Azure.

I did not use the cloud connect option, instead I set up a CIFS repository.

It's been rock solid for a little over a year now, and I do test restores about once a month.

I am willing to answer more specific questions here or in PM as well.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

If you're in a predominantly Windows environment (Linux depends on distro/version) I'd say gently caress Veeam altogether and use Azure Site Recovery. DRaaS is the slam. Pretty bandwidth intensive and the architecture is intense. Tons of pre-reqs and possibly pitfalls. BUT if you can get it working it's one of the coolest goddam things I've ever used for DR.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

I decided to snapshot the reporting servers, install SQL Development Edition, and we got everything working. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to coax the DBAs into using the new box, which is insanely fast, but I think that's going to have to wait until Monday.
Update: My boss now believes that the problem is Sophos Anti-Virus, which, yes, we had running on our production SQL servers, but he had configured it (ages ago) but he disabled it (and I thought we'd tried this earlier in the week) and he says that CrystalDiskMark is reporting that the disk IOs are flying.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Veeam and AWS : http://www.tecfused.com/2017/07/veeam-aws-vtl-virtual-tape-library-guide/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Spiceworks daily challenge amuses me.

75% of Spiceworks usersIT Pros! are unable to do a simple google search when they don't know the answer to something.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Double posting:

Has anyone worked with a sharepoint consulting company that they'd be willing to recommend. We are looking for some help with some design and a migration project in sharepoint online.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

Double posting:

Has anyone worked with a sharepoint consulting company that they'd be willing to recommend. We are looking for some help with some design and a migration project in sharepoint online.

Accenture :lol:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

The Spiceworks daily challenge amuses me.

75% of Spiceworks usersIT Pros! are unable to do a simple google search when they don't know the answer to something.

To be fair, I'd take a challenge like that to be "off the top of your head, do you know," not "can you find the answer." What would be the point of making a challenge like that just to be "google it"?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

To be fair, I'd take a challenge like that to be "off the top of your head, do you know," not "can you find the answer." What would be the point of making a challenge like that just to be "google it"?

If you don't know the answer and your options are, "choose one at random," "don't answer at all," or "look up the answer" I would prefer to go with options 2 or 3.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I sat through 3 in person interviews after having 3 phone interviews yesterday. Its nice to interview again. Interviewing is fun when you aren't stressed about getting a gig. All of them went over a hour and one went to 2. My voice was definitely starting to crack by the 3rd.

1: Codename: Honest Midsized Business

They were laid back, honest, and weren't shy about saying how they were swamped. The position was added because the company is growing through acquisition and is obsorbing new, small orgs constantly. Pay and benefits are great, but the job itself seems very busy. I liked the people and I like the facilities. It was an interview style that I would probably have in that position myself. Do I want to work my rear end off?

2: Codename: New Company that doesn't know what its doing

I met with non-IT people because the company currently uses a MSP and hates life. They want someone to be a director/CIO to come in and make sense of things. The job is in my same town and is a 4 minute drive. They had an aura of desperation that didn't give me a good feeling but outside of IT things business was booming. Might be a place I could inject myself into and become a key person in the company. New facilities, massive hiring spree, and free reign to do what I want.

3: Codename: Startup that is too cool for Texas.

This is a company run like its straight out of silicon valley. Everything detail of the facilities was made to be beautiful and edgy. I counted at least 4 people who were wearing black rim glasses with no lenses. I saw loving scarves when its 108 outside. I was given my choice of coffee from a full coffee bar just for walking in the door to interview. They basically have their own staffed starbucks in their lobby.

I met my possible boss, the director of information services, 24 years old "Nick". Nick did give a decent interview for the most part. He was extremely confident without being goofy and direct in a way which I felt comfortable with. He talked as if he had extensive experience at first but when we moved into talking about their current infrastructure you could see the cracks in the facade fairly easily. After a brief talk about turnover it became apparent that the rest of the administrative staff had left the company when he was promoted to director. Kind of a red flag, but this place has grown at a pace that sometimes turn over is going to happen. He ended the interview with acronym trivia with all the questions and answers in his hand, I tried my best not to be annoyed.

I then met with the CIO who again, silicon valley related, was Gavin Belson incarnate. Everything he spoke about was about image and how important that was to the company. He rambled about IT solutions and how those solutions didn't matter if they weren't in line with the image of the company. "I don't give a poo poo about how good X teleconference room equipment is, if its ugly I won't have it in my conference rooms." He was polite though and not condescending as glassdoor would have you believe. He also didn't give me any confidence that this person was sane at all.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There's a lot to unpack there and others will do a better job of it than I will. I'll just drop a bit of ageism.

"the director of information services, 24 years old Nick"

Nope, thanks for your time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There's a lot to unpack there and others will do a better job of it than I will. I'll just drop a bit of ageism.

I was trying really hard not to do that as being in my 30's now. Nick was incredibly handsome though and the CIO puts a very high premium on appearances of things. I will probably nope tomorrow after I sleep on it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have a coffee shop in our lobby.

But it's an actual shop where you pay money, that is managed by a local coffee roasting company, and we share the building with a half dozen other companies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
As I'm standing out in the rain waiting for the fedex truck driver to bring down a pallet of Meraki WAPs for our new Wi-Fi project, I hear my name being called from off in the distance...

"GNARLYCHARLIE4U GNARLYCHARLIE4U GNARLYCHARLIE4U!!!"

I look up at an open window.

"HAPPY SYS-ADMIN DAY!!!!" the ladies in the upstairs office are yelling to me and waving. :3:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sickening posted:

3: Codename: Startup that is too cool for Texas.

"I don't give a poo poo about how good X teleconference room equipment is, if its ugly I won't have it in my conference rooms."
"Let me introduce you to my friend Cisco"
*throws dollar bills*

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

The Fool posted:

Double posting:

Yes, but how big is the project? They won't touch anything under about 50k iirc

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Super Slash posted:

"Let me introduce you to my friend Cisco"
*throws dollar bills*

These are the loving people who enable Cisco to build the Spark Whiteboard bullshit at a million loving dollars per room or whatever they charge now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How much money would it take you to do it stripe. I mean that honestly, what is your bottom floor number to work for a 24 year old.

I just got a call and an email with an offer that was loving shocking.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You know my WFH love. I'm not giving up my current job for anything under double what I make right now, which unless whoever's reading this thinks I make 32 grand a year, you can imagine that prices me out of every conceivable job.

Of the 3 jobs you mentioned, #1 is the only reasonable job but would be a lot of works, #2's just going to be a clusterfuck, and #3 is just a non starter for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sickening posted:

Nick was incredibly handsome though and the CIO puts a very high premium on appearances of things. I will probably nope tomorrow after I sleep with him.

That's how I originally read this post.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

That's how I originally read this post.
Their update didn't really help, either.

Sickening posted:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

How much money would it take you to do it stripe. I mean that honestly, what is your bottom floor number to work for a 24 year old.

Shocking as in insulting, or shocking as in you are now considering the offer?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

Yes, but how big is the project? They won't touch anything under about 50k iirc

The "we don't have any requirements yet, but we think we're willing to spend about this much" number I was told was 55k

Basically, our first pass attempt has been deemed ugly and clunky (my words) and adoption in other departments has been kinda slow. Executive management is expecting that cleaning everything up and have a nicer experience will increase adoption, and wants it done before we do our big document migration.

So we're looking for company to do a redesign, and then assist with the migration afterwards.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Well I don't have PMs but if you want to send some deets to fakeemailaddress5634@gmail.com with the scope and everything I can see if it's something they'd do and put you in touch if it could work. I'd be really comfortable recommending them, and their design/scoping process is incredibly thorough so you'll know I'm not recommending you some fly by night deal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

Shocking as in insulting, or shocking as in you are now considering the offer?

When I was leaving they scheduled an interview with me and the CEO next week. I took that as "Meet with ceo, get offer, figure out if this is the place for you."

The offer came in so fast and unexpected and for almost a 20k bump from what I make now. I don't make stripe money, but we aren't exactly out of the same tax bracket. The entire compensation package is so good that I am confident my pregnant wife will refuse to go back to work after we have our 2nd which is on the way. She will basically murder in my sleep if I don't accept.

Looks like I am purchasing a beanie this weekend and growing a beard. Anybody seen my mac book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

Looks like I am purchasing a beanie this weekend and growing a beard. Anybody seen my mac book?

Expense those.