Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
why are you talking about games in the linux thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

they wanted to sound off about something and when I think "sound off" I think Linux

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they wanted to sound off about something and when I think "sound off" I think Linux

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

AMD's software stack is fine in a perfect world where game devs are competent and produce software that isn't completely broken.

*hairbrush cursor intensifies*

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

the problem with programming being easier to learn now is that every jackass with a keyboard thinks they can write code

then they decide running java on a microcontroller is a good idea because they're a dumbfuck that can't handle programming without at least 20 libraries handling the real work for them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmfao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Apocadall posted:

the problem with programming being easier to learn now is that every jackass with a keyboard thinks they can write code

then they decide running java on a microcontroller is a good idea because they're a dumbfuck that can't handle programming without at least 20 libraries handling the real work for them

what's actually the problem with this?

like if someone who barely knows processing.js is able to make some weird art project with it on a rpi or whatever that's actually Good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

like if someone who barely knows processing.js is able to make some weird art project with it on a rpi or whatever that's actually Good

Java not javascript.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm running websphere on centos on an rpi. checkmate, nerds.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

i'm running websphere on an rpi. checkmate, nerds.

ur a websphere

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

Java not javascript.

who cares, regular processing instead of processing.js then

let people enjoy things

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

except instead of rpi it's huge business mfc printer and instead of art project it's driver

and isntead of good it's Bad

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

except instead of rpi it's huge business mfc printer and instead of art project it's driver

well yeah that's bad, but it's a printer, what did you expect

(non-functioning printers is a good topic for the linux thread)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
libraries are a tool that can be used or abused like any other.

javascript's ecosystem... certainly represents one extreme, but it seems quite decent actually because your typical javascript "library" is a small handful of functions that do a particular task and you can just pick and choose the bits that you need to get the job done. nothing wrong with pulling in an existing commonly-used and unit-tested-to-hell set of functions to solve a particular task instead of banging out your own implementation of that task. it's fine. we all believe you are more than capable of doing that task yourself if you had to. nobody is going to think you have a small penis.

otoh most languages have a lot more per-library friction than js does so your average library is way bigger and way more of a kitchen sink. if i want to have date-time handling in c or c++ my options are:

1. use what's in the c stdlib (lol)
2. write my own (double lol)
3. pull in glib or qt or some other massive pile of bullshit that also does a million other things.

or maybe i just want string manipulation functions that aren't from the 1970s. same deal.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

i'm running websphere

rip you

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Apocadall posted:

the two sentences of this quote really are a thing of beauty next to each other.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

printers have been terrible since day one tho

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
one time i was so confused by a printer it turned out it was a document scanner 🙈

in my defense it looked exactly like a printer what with the paper feed and all

e: it didn't have the word 'scan' anywhere on it or on its maze gui

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

most non-vr games i play these days work on my chomebook, and since it's also my work laptop i have to do actual work on sometimes, it runs linux.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-mirrors/2017-July/000684.html lol

edit: ig uess this is getting discussed in like 3 other threads

hifi fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 25, 2017

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Truga posted:

most non-vr games i play these days work on my chomebook, and since it's also my work laptop i have to do actual work on sometimes, it runs linux.

if we're going to seriouspost then it should be pointed out that steam boxes are still a thing. They start out at $500 but you can probably go significantly less with a build-your-own or refurbish an older box with a newer video card.

Games that run on Unity (and Valve's Source engine) tend to run on it, such as Hard West.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i tried out wayland since i3 is a dirt simple wm and someone ported it: http://swaywm.org/

i wanted this since ostensibly wayland is supposed to do saner multi-monitor support, especially when there's a large difference in DPI. currently with X I get into weird bullshit situations where my mouse pointer is lolhueg since GTK scaling and xrandr scaling are different things that don't agreee with one another.

it was pretty okay but apparently you can't freely map mouse buttons easily like you could in X: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90204

libinput devs have apparently decided that there are only two ways to emulate middle click and allowing users control over that is impossible. why they thought this would be a good idea given the massive inconsistency in how hardward click/trackpads are designed escapes me, but as-is it makes wayland kind of unusable on my laptop since I can't assign middle click (which i need) to an action that's easy given my particular hardware manufacturer's choices.

gonna be a long, rocky road, isn't it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

installed fedora 26 by blitzing the root and associated dirs but keeping my home dir (stored on another drive). The install was only concerned with installing the OS, and I attached the homedir after installation.

the new partition manager is cool and good. But when I was deleting and recreating new partitions (on a completely bare drive, mind you), it mirrored those steps in the list of actions it was going to take. Why not just skip creating partitions that would be deleted?

Had to install ecryptfs and add myself to the ecryptfs group. Then, I had to just login and install ansible and run my desktop script. The kvm package was renamed but otherwise things ran ok. The wallpaper was just gray but it was easy to pick something new.

All in all, the upgrade was painless. I don't notice any improvements over 25, but I'm sure they will be apparent soon. A++, would upgrade again.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

el dorito posted:

installed fedora 26 by blitzing the root and associated dirs but keeping my home dir (stored on another drive). The install was only concerned with installing the OS, and I attached the homedir after installation.

the new partition manager is cool and good. But when I was deleting and recreating new partitions (on a completely bare drive, mind you), it mirrored those steps in the list of actions it was going to take. Why not just skip creating partitions that would be deleted?

Had to install ecryptfs and add myself to the ecryptfs group. Then, I had to just login and install ansible and run my desktop script. The kvm package was renamed but otherwise things ran ok. The wallpaper was just gray but it was easy to pick something new.

All in all, the upgrade was painless. I don't notice any improvements over 25, but I'm sure they will be apparent soon. A++, would upgrade again.

the files icon is blue now

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

i tried out wayland since i3 is a dirt simple wm and someone ported it: http://swaywm.org/

i wanted this since ostensibly wayland is supposed to do saner multi-monitor support, especially when there's a large difference in DPI. currently with X I get into weird bullshit situations where my mouse pointer is lolhueg since GTK scaling and xrandr scaling are different things that don't agreee with one another.

it was pretty okay but apparently you can't freely map mouse buttons easily like you could in X: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90204

libinput devs have apparently decided that there are only two ways to emulate middle click and allowing users control over that is impossible. why they thought this would be a good idea given the massive inconsistency in how hardward click/trackpads are designed escapes me, but as-is it makes wayland kind of unusable on my laptop since I can't assign middle click (which i need) to an action that's easy given my particular hardware manufacturer's choices.

gonna be a long, rocky road, isn't it.

this has been the direction they've been moving in for years. same thing when they went "you know that neat xmodmap tool that made it trivial to make arbitrary changes to your keyboard layout? we're going to break that (but we won't remove it, we'll just start reverting any changes you make with it at unpredictable intervals). your supported choices now are to pick from this limited list of specific keyboard layout tweaks we approve of, or write your own entire keyboard layout in this ridiculously complicated format that's also not really documented anywhere. good luck!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think i posted in here about my chomebook keyboard once, and it being a gigantic shitshow with many apps ignoring my keyboard model setting.

shortly after that i discovered xkb overlays, and it actually works exactly as you'd expect it to work and is very simple to set up, but there's literally zero documentation for it on the internet. the rest of xkb is documented slightly better, but any modifications you do is an inconsistent pile of poo poo, some apps will work with your modifications/settings, many will just default to whatever pc104 layout says it needs to do regardless of any and every config file.

xmodmap was so much better than this poo poo.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

apparently deja-dup will onky restore directories in-place. You can't just restore a path to a new directory so that comparisons can be made.

It uses duplicity on the back-end but now I'm gonna have to configure a million things to do what I want.

on the bright side, the backup process was easy enough that I actually have a backup in the first place, so I have mixed feelings about backups on the Linux desktop

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the files icon is blue now

:confuoot:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
systemd was updated to 234.

Lots of cool new features. SystemD is good.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

fedora 26 / gnome 3.24 has built-in night mode that works even on wayland. it's not as configurable as redshift or f.lux but besides the blue icon for the file manager it's the only other thing I noticed/cared about :shrug:

I upgraded from f25 via gnome software and it worked perfectly. not a single thing was broken. red hat is the best hat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

systemd was updated to 234.

Lots of cool new features. SystemD is good.

i had some unironic gentoo fanatic try to cry at me how systemd is terrible garbage and how sysvinit, openrc, and upstart are all undeniably better than it :laffo:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i'm late but a fun trick you can do with nvidia on x is start a glxgears and send a SIGSTOP to the x server. you can't move your mouse but the glxgears will still run

that's because in nvidia's architecture things don't render to the buffers which the x server copies, the client literally renders to the screen with a clip list just like in DRI1. it's a stupid way of doing it that's straight out of the 80s but they have mentioned it is super difficult to change.

this is the main reason nvidia won't support glx on wayland since it requires you to render gl to a buffer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i had some unironic gentoo fanatic try to cry at me how systemd is terrible garbage and how sysvinit, openrc, and upstart are all undeniably better than it :laffo:

I used to spin up gentoo anytime i wiped my drive just for fun.

I stopped because systemd is such a nightmare to get running it's not worth the effort anymore.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I love systemd it's the best thing ever for my long running daemon applications. I just wish Java had a way to use the privileged sockets that systemd can pass to your process instead of having to run as root :sigh:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Janitor Prime posted:

I love systemd it's the best thing ever for my long running daemon applications. I just wish Java had a way to use the privileged sockets that systemd can pass to your process instead of having to run as root :sigh:

java could do this if you created the sockets in your own code, just nobody ever does that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm late but a fun trick you can do with nvidia on x is start a glxgears and send a SIGSTOP to the x server. you can't move your mouse but the glxgears will still run

that's because in nvidia's architecture things don't render to the buffers which the x server copies, the client literally renders to the screen with a clip list just like in DRI1. it's a stupid way of doing it that's straight out of the 80s but they have mentioned it is super difficult to change.

this is the main reason nvidia won't support glx on wayland since it requires you to render gl to a buffer.

how does the composite extension work?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Janitor Prime posted:

ooh! ooh! i know this one

you can in fact do this, I discovered a way to do it myself.

put StandardInput=socket into your unit file

then call System.inheritedChannel() to get a handle to that server socket.

This even works with UNIX domain sockets believe it or not.

If you're embedding Jetty then you can even hook it into Jetty's startup quite easily:

Java code:
        // Start up HTTP server

Server jetty = new Server();
        ServerConnector connector = new ServerConnector(jetty);

connector.setInheritChannel(true);
        connector.setHost("localhost");
        connector.setPort(8000);

ServletContextHandler servlets = new ServletContextHandler();

servlets.addEventListener(yourServletContextListener);

jetty.addConnector(connector);
        jetty.setHandler(servlets);
        jetty.start();
        jetty.join();
...which will cause it to try and use a socket inherited from systemd, and if that fails (e.g. it's running in your ide) then it will bind to localhost:8000 instead.

This is possible because inetd actually had a little-known feature where it could pass the server socket itself to its child processes instead of one-child-per-connection, Java supports that mode, and systemd also supports it as an alternative socket-passing mechanism.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

Java code:
        connector.setInheritChannel(true);
...which will cause it to try and use a socket inherited from systemd, and if that fails (e.g. it's running in your ide) then it will bind to localhost:8000 instead.

this is a super cool tip, thankyou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how does the composite extension work?

This Issue from the specification for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap offers us a pretty big clue:

code:
    5. Should users be required to re-bind the drawable to a texture after
    the drawable has been rendered to?

It is difficult to define what the contents of the texture would be if
    we don't require this.  Also, requiring this would allow implementations
    to perform an implicit copy at this point if they could not support
    texturing directly out of renderable memory.
If the compositing manager does not make any X round-trips but simply binds using TFP, renders, and glXSwapBuffers, then it will still work. Think about these two hints for a bit :)

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 29, 2017