Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

How is USF2 as a port anyway? Is it decent at least?
This review is the best thing I could find that lists the changes and modes and gives the game as fair of a take you can get.

In short, there are some things that make the game better than HDR, but it's also missing some things from HDR as well.

General Negatives:
1. No GGPO/rollback, so online experience is going to be variable, and thus probably poo poo.
2. No Classic Mode to go back to ST balance-gameplay, so you're stuck with these newer changes.
3. The new modes all kinda suck.
4. Akuma/Evil Ryu/Violent Ken are super broken in an unfun way.

General Postives:
1. Training mode is pretty solid. Not super super great, but probably the best training mode you'll get for SF2 so far.
2. Input changes/leniency for the characters should make them easier to mess around with if you're not a veteran player. Nice if you want to try Dhalsim/Cammy imo.
3. Old sprites/background options exist. Nice because the old ones are way better.
4. Color editor so you can make your own palletes, though only 1 of them can be used in-game at a time.

If you want a console version of SF2 just for fun, then it's not a *terrible* product but there still might be issues. Most of the community isn't going to play this, and the online not being good means you won't find too many other matches in the first place. If you care at all about actually learning to play SF2 competitively, then you probably aren't going to look at this version at all.

Bill Barber posted:

Serious question has there ever been a Nintendo developed game where you could actually set the controls yourself, not just swap between two different versions?

Brawl, maybe Smash 4 but I never bothered there

Takoluka posted:

My FGC friends and acquaintances are super spergy about frame data, balance updates, and tech changes, with some very huge biases caused by nostalgia goggles and how they feel things *should* be in games they play. If you're looking for some SF2 fun, you'll probably like it. If you want to get competitive and start looking into meta, it will exhaust you, and you will probably hate it.

It's not just nostalgia. In some cases, older fighting games really are just plain better than new releases, right down to the way the games feel. You can disagree with those guys and prefer some modern approaches (comparing Throw teching systems is relevant here), but they aren't just saying that because "nostalgia goggles", they're saying it because the older games really did things better.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They are very Mario Galaxy like levels.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I hope the next Smash gives us Dark Meta Knight who is like Brawl Meta Knight in every way as a separate character while regular Meta Knight gets more and more safety gear added on to make him less of a threat.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Does Capcom refuse to acknowledge the existence of Street Fighter 3 or what

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whaley posted:

if they draw attention to a better game then people might not buy SFV. Gotta keep pushing that money mark (after more than a year they've shipped around 1.5)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

whaley posted:

Well, they did do a ggpo release of sf3 back in 2011. But as for why they focus on SF2, well, that's because 1. SF3 wasn't as popular and 2. SF2 is kind of one of the most well known and important fighting games ever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ventana posted:

SF2 is kind of one of the most well known and important fighting games ever

they absolutely refuse to admit they were wrong about how fast it should play and its sad

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So who all is super pumped for the new Mario Rabbids game?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Nope I'll wait for fire emblem, I need to save up for Odyssey and xenoblade and pokken anyways since splatoon got me hard pressed by it's fresh accessories.

Also gently caress giving Ubisoft money

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's me, I will play the Mario XCOM.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I want Mario XCom with the dumb jokes.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

they absolutely refuse to admit they were wrong about how fast it should play and its sad

I mean yeah, but they've been trying to slow down SF2 since Super. I guess they're a little consistent about it?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Everything about the gameplay makes me want to try it. Everything about the rabbids makes me not want to try it.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

If they deleted the rabbids and it was just normal mushroom kingdom enemies with a few new alien ones (or the bean people) for spice to provide the laser guns and playable characters I would enjoy it way more and buy it for certain.

Imagine Waluigi in your party :allears:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
It sucks that Street Fighter 3 hasn't released all over the place because I only got to play it like once when I found it in an arcade somewhere and it seemed pretty swell

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's the next full price game I plan to buy, so I'm sad it's still so far away.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ventana posted:

Everything about the gameplay makes me want to try it. Everything about the rabbids makes me not want to try it.

Yeah I really don't know what these idiots are supposed to be other than ugly "wacky" rabbit things but I hate them. I want that loving video game though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm excited for Mario/Rabbids. I always wanted to play an XCOM but they seem a little too heavy for me so it's perfect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you hate Rabbids, you can just have a party with Mario/Luigi/Peach/Yoshi and kill Rabbids all day

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you hate Rabbids, you can just have a party with Mario/Luigi/Peach/Yoshi and kill Rabbids all day

Tell me about the Rabbids, George.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I would buy the game if it didn't have rabbids

But it has rabbids, so I won't buy it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

whaley posted:

It sucks that Street Fighter 3 hasn't released all over the place because I only got to play it like once when I found it in an arcade somewhere and it seemed pretty swell

Well a 30th Anniversary Street Fighter Collection just leaked so I guess you'll get your chance!

It's only for PS4 and Xbox One though. Guess you could just download FightCade!

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Thanks for the tips on Splatoon 2, I'll give it a pass.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'll buy Rabbids but I also bought 1 2 Switch so I'll pretty much buy anything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was surprised that 1-2 Switch sold so well. I guess Nintendo knew what they were doing not making it a pack-in

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I am excited for babby's first xcom

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the way people feel about Rabbids is how I feel about Toads but somehow I got past this and played Mario 3D World among a dozen other things. I also loving hate Ubisoft but this is Nintendo steering the ship so I don't feel bad wanting to play the rabbit XCOM game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm just going to go on the XCOM 2 workshop and download some Mario mods instead of buying the rabbid game.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Have any of you messed around with Minecraft on the Switch? I'm a bit curious to see what the consensus was on it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

PowerBeard posted:

Have any of you messed around with Minecraft on the Switch? I'm a bit curious to see what the consensus was on it.

It's minecraft.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PowerBeard posted:

It's still Minecraft, but thanks to a recent patch you can play it at 1080p in docked mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PowerBeard posted:

It's probably the best non-PC version due to being able to play on tv or on the go. You can play local multiplayer split screen too.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

PowerBeard posted:

It's good. Runs fine, though I have had issues with it crashing when I went to one specific place on the map. They've been watching it though, I haven't gone back to check if that still happens since around launch. It's also worth noting that it'll be updated later this year to have cross platform compatibility with people on Xbox and PC.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I marathonned the original Rabids Wii game and had a good time then didn't hear or see anything of the franchise since, so I'm actually fairly excited about Mario XCOM with Rabbids.

Also I woke up too early this morning so I decided to play some Cave Story from bed but then I beat that and didn't want to start another run-through so I bought Mighty Gunvolt Burst from bed then played a bit of that.

The Switch might be Good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The switch is insanely good and cool, friend

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I look at my home screen with Zelda, Mario Kart, Spla2n, Overcooked, Snipperclips, Shantae, and Blaster Master, and I think about how the system has only been out since March, and I wonder why the gently caress people are complaining about having no games. If you didn't want these kinds of games, why the gently caress did you buy a Nintendo console.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The switch is insanely good and cool, friend

It actually gets pretty hot.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
It's because complaining about a Nintendo system is a hack line that people lean on because they just want to have something to say.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coldforge posted:

It actually gets pretty hot.

Mine doesn't, because I play it in handheld mode in bed like god intended

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bill Barber posted:

You sound like a total loser, no offense.
Hey I don't come to the bad post factory and tell you you're a loser.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

If they deleted the rabbids and it was just normal mushroom kingdom enemies with a few new alien ones (or the bean people) for spice to provide the laser guns and playable characters I would enjoy it way more and buy it for certain.

Imagine Waluigi in your party :allears:
Yeah they made up so many characters throughout all the Mario RPG games you'd think they could do better than Ubisoft's minions.
But then you realize that Ubisoft wanted to make this game, not Nintendo, and it makes more sense why we're stuck with the rabbids.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
ubisoft can bite my white rear end

• Locked thread