Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Possibility Storm is useful as a disruption piece in some decks, Ruric Thar is bad in pretty much everything. Maybe a budget Mayael list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Gotta second the Lab Maniacs rec, they do good videos.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

The Shortest Path posted:

Possibility Storm is useful as a disruption piece in some decks, Ruric Thar is bad in pretty much everything. Maybe a budget Mayael list?

Possibility Storm enrages everyone, so it's an auto-include. Also, it does double Ruric damage if people try to remove him, or it, and may possibly not get rid of either.

ITS AWESOME

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

En Fuego posted:

Hot take: Every red deck should run Possibility Storm, especially Zedruu. Also, Ruric Thar.

Corollary: Every blue deck should run Psychic Surgery

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Ban all fast mana effects in EDH imo.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Ruric Thar is one of those cards that is super fun to play in 75-80% meta's, but has no place in an ultra-competitive meta.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Anyone got any fun recommendations for a Riku deck? I've got a handful of other doppelganging creatures and effects to try and maximize my ETB value. I also like morph creatures because they make me nostalgic.

https://deckstats.net/decks/129/355-imitation-rug

Stuff I've already got on my Get List: Mulldrifter, Dragonmaster Outcast, Coiling Oracle, Animar Soul of Elements. Haven't ordered them yet because I wanna get some more ideas first.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Anyone got any fun recommendations for a Riku deck? I've got a handful of other doppelganging creatures and effects to try and maximize my ETB value. I also like morph creatures because they make me nostalgic.

Stuff I've already got on my Get List: Mulldrifter, Dragonmaster Outcast, Coiling Oracle, Animar Soul of Elements. Haven't ordered them yet because I wanna get some more ideas first.

Doubling Season/Parallel Lives, Flameshadow Conjuring, Kiki-Jiki+Zealous Conscripts, Avenger of Zendikar, signets, Sol Ring, Erratic Portal, Cultivate/Kodama's Reach/Harrow. Don't play Reliquary Tower. Even with morph nostalgia, I wouldn't play Zoetic Cavern.

You've got a lot going on that doesn't synergize with Riku.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

go all in, make biovisionary plus all the clones in the game your primary win con.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I haven't tried Biovisionary before, I just thought it would be fun. Is that kind of thing frowned upon in casual EDH play?

I saw him and his goony face and his project: phoenix jars, and I just couldn't leave him out of my deck revision. He's so loving Rick

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

I haven't tried Biovisionary before, I just thought it would be fun. Is that kind of thing frowned upon in casual EDH play?

Nah, if you can get four of him and they can't kill one, you earned it. Go hog wild.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

tzirean posted:

You've got a lot going on that doesn't synergize with Riku.

It started as just a Highlander deck before I knew about EDH, and for a while I was using Intet, the Dreamer as my general, but I figured it was time I try to make it a proper EDH deck. I do like the idea of silly biovisionary shenanigans though. I'll have to get a Rite of Replication too.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Ruric Thar is one of those cards that is super fun to play in 75-80% meta's, but has no place in an ultra-competitive meta.

Ruric Thar is actually a very solid competitive deck but you have to build him to in a somewhat parasitic way. Not a lot of comp decks can deal with taking 6 damage a spell.

List for reference

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

It started as just a Highlander deck before I knew about EDH, and for a while I was using Intet, the Dreamer as my general, but I figured it was time I try to make it a proper EDH deck. I do like the idea of silly biovisionary shenanigans though. I'll have to get a Rite of Replication too.

That makes sense. And Rite is a great addition.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

superstepa posted:

Ruric Thar is actually a very solid competitive deck but you have to build him to in a somewhat parasitic way. Not a lot of comp decks can deal with taking 6 damage a spell.

List for reference

I was playing a 1v1 of Sidisi Ad Nauseum vs Xenagos, and a turn 2 Ruric Thar was pretty painful.

Turn 1: Forest, Elf
Turn 2: Mana Crypt, Forest, Natural Order into Ruric Thar.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've decided to tear apart my Azusa big green deck - no one wants to play against it anymore. It's a 9/10 on the power level scale and the LGS is a solid 7/10-or-lower crew.

Sticking to 4 good decks:
Erebos Big Mana Black (7/10)
Neheb X-Spell Tribal (6/10)
Brago Flicker (8/10)
Gitrog Land Tricks (7/10)

Do you guys rank your decks by power level to ensure you don't have a "nothing but infinite combos" deck that no one wants to play against?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

I've decided to tear apart my Azusa big green deck - no one wants to play against it anymore. It's a 9/10 on the power level scale and the LGS is a solid 7/10-or-lower crew.

Sticking to 4 good decks:
Erebos Big Mana Black (7/10)
Neheb X-Spell Tribal (6/10)
Brago Flicker (8/10)
Gitrog Land Tricks (7/10)

Do you guys rank your decks by power level to ensure you don't have a "nothing but infinite combos" deck that no one wants to play against?

Go watch the video channels listed above. Your power levels are mad inflated.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

Go watch the video channels listed above. Your power levels are mad inflated.

I don't know what channels you're referring to. Also the only thing I have to scale power against is the decks I play against.

I don't know how you can say the power levels are inflated without knowing a) my lists and b) what decks I play against.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Balon posted:

I don't know what channels you're referring to. Also the only thing I have to scale power against is the decks I play against.

I don't know how you can say the power levels are inflated without knowing a) my lists and b) what decks I play against.

You two are just using different scales. You're comparing your decks vs ones at your shop, and Toshimo's scale probably puts things like Doomsday/Ad Nauseum/Storm decks at the top. Decks like ones that can kill the entire table before turn 4. This is a mono-black Sidisi storm deck on those levels. And this is a Chain Veil / Teferi PW deck that's also up there. It's the difference between tuned vintage/legacy decks and kitchen table decks.

It's not a power level that everyone is even interested in playing with, but that's basically what the "high end" of whatever EDH tier list would be.

The fact that you're trying to avoid decks with infinite combos hints at your power level and those of the decks you play against, but the channels Toshimo is talking about are Lab Maniacs and Team Turn Three, both of which are YouTube channels showcasing competitive EDH decks and gameplay. This is a fantastic guide to the CV/Teferi deck I linked earlier.

Do you have your decklists handy? What's your win condition in your Azusa deck?

I stumbled across this article and haven't finished reading it yet, but it does a decent job so far at outlining competitive EDH. Playing Commander to win.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I have a Ruric Thar deck. It's terrible. It's only win condition is 'live to 10 mana and somehow draw primal surge'.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Aranan posted:

You two are just using different scales. You're comparing your decks vs ones at your shop, and Toshimo's scale probably puts things like Doomsday/Ad Nauseum/Storm decks at the top. Decks like ones that can kill the entire table before turn 4. This is a mono-black Sidisi storm deck on those levels. And this is a Chain Veil / Teferi PW deck that's also up there. It's the difference between tuned vintage/legacy decks and kitchen table decks.

It's not a power level that everyone is even interested in playing with, but that's basically what the "high end" of whatever EDH tier list would be.

The fact that you're trying to avoid decks with infinite combos hints at your power level and those of the decks you play against, but the channels Toshimo is talking about are Lab Maniacs and Team Turn Three, both of which are YouTube channels showcasing competitive EDH decks and gameplay. This is a fantastic guide to the CV/Teferi deck I linked earlier.

Do you have your decklists handy? What's your win condition in your Azusa deck?

I stumbled across this article and haven't finished reading it yet, but it does a decent job so far at outlining competitive EDH. Playing Commander to win.

I'm in no way playing competitive 1v1 - imo this isn't the format for that. I'm talking casual multiplayer EDH.

My Azusa deck is all about super ramping in to eldrazi with a few infinite mana combos. But it can hit 10 mana with hasty eldazri on turn 3-4 which no one likes. Or Crucible/Azusa/Strip Mine which people would scoop to as soon as they saw a non-Azusa piece.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Nobody here is talking 1v1, either.

Balon posted:

Or Crucible/Azusa/Strip Mine which people would scoop to as soon as they saw a non-Azusa piece.

Do they not run any interaction? No artifact destruction/creature removal/counterspells?

But to answer your original question from a few posts back, I do roughly rank my decks so I have something appropriate for whatever table I sit down at. I have Sidisi as my try-hard deck currently, and Xenagos as a more "fair" deck for non-cEDH games--but even then, it runs MLD and infect which apparently makes people salty.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 29, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
BTW, I checked your post history before I said your decks aren't "9/10 God-Tier Broken" and your submission for Azusa was: https://deckstats.net/decks/3554/380025-mono-green-edh

You're missing almost the entire fast manabase, you don't have hardly any interaction (like... Beast Within and nothing else?), You're running a bunch of land ramp, which is real bad, you're missing Crucible and Wasteland, etc.

Like, I get that you are outclassing your meta, but your frame of reference means nothing to anyone when you assign arbitrary numbers to clearly casual decks.

If you are so concerned about overpowering the table, just build TURN DUDES SIDEWAYS decks since they are probably the most fair.

Alternatively, just make an Aetherflux Reservoir LAZOR BEAMS deck because that's cool and good.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
You can't tiptoe around everything in casual EDH. Anything that wins is going to make someone salty, but that's on them to deal with it. As long as you're not winning or locking down the whole table on turn four exactly same way every single game, then it's not enough like Legacy to piss off a reasonable casual EDH player. My casual group doesn't avoid broken stuff, but most of us are more interested in experimentation than just shelling out the bux to copy a decklist. I don't begrudge people for doing that, but deckbuilding and actually playing the game are two separate activities, and some people are more interested in one or the other. It's like how some minis players like painting figs, and some just say, "gently caress this, I'm paying someone to paint all this poo poo." But any casual group should still be receptive to good decks as long as you don't turn into "that guy that always runs the same deck that always does the same thing every time."

Also: seconding more interaction. There's a bunch of creatures in that Azusa deck that can blow things up, but more fast stuff like Beast Within would help. If you've gotten any of the big Eldrazi into play, the accompany removal effects are less important because you're about to kill everyone.

Re: Zedruu. I just found this hilariously bad card that might work well in Zedruu (and probably nowhere else):

Rust Elemental

Hand it over with Zedruu, and the recipient has to sac an artifact every turn or take 4 damage. If they don't have a sac outlet for it, they can try to attack with it and no one will block to kill it because, "gently caress that, it's eating all of your mana rocks I'm not killing that thing." It's obviously not as essential to Zedruu as Illusions of Grandeur or Form of the Dragon, but it seems pretty funny.

That's my story about a dumb card that I found randomly yesterday.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The way my friend built Zedruu is that he doesn't bother with any Zedruu-specific cards except for the surprisingly annoying Puca's Mischief, but instead he runs ORings and other things that he doesn't mind giving away. Considering how much mana and time you have to invest in order to draw cards when you're getting cute, I really think that that's the right way to go about it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah other than the few big dick player killers like FotD and Thought Lash I tend to avoid most of the stuff like that too. Steel Golem or whatever is just not worth spending ~7 mana to mildly nerf one player.

Unless they do double duty as something else, like Solitary Confinement, which is an awesome defensive card if you have zedruu or a temple bell or whatever active.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

BTW, I checked your post history before I said your decks aren't "9/10 God-Tier Broken" and your submission for Azusa was: https://deckstats.net/decks/3554/380025-mono-green-edh

You're missing almost the entire fast manabase, you don't have hardly any interaction (like... Beast Within and nothing else?), You're running a bunch of land ramp, which is real bad, you're missing Crucible and Wasteland, etc.

Like, I get that you are outclassing your meta, but your frame of reference means nothing to anyone when you assign arbitrary numbers to clearly casual decks.

If you are so concerned about overpowering the table, just build TURN DUDES SIDEWAYS decks since they are probably the most fair.

Alternatively, just make an Aetherflux Reservoir LAZOR BEAMS deck because that's cool and good.

For sure, the deck has changed since sharing that list but I've still not included all the best stuff - not optimized it fully. Turn 3 taking all of your opponents off of lands, or making infinite mana to cast creatures, or slamming an ulamog makes its power level high in comparison to the Sliver Queens, Darettis, or Rafiqs of these players.

Because even in the state it's in people don't want to play against it. That's what I'm saying. It's not a 9/10 God-tier deck in ALL METAS, but it's a deck that's good enough and known in my meta and I can't bring it to a table for a game any more because of it.

In my LGS, casual meta, it is a known quantity to be an unfun deck to sit down against. Against everything else around it IS a 9/10 deck.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Unless they do double duty as something else, like Solitary Confinement, which is an awesome defensive card if you have zedruu or a temple bell or whatever active.

Solitary Confinement has been in my Zedruu deck since day 1, and I don't think I've ever donated it. It's always been better off on my side of the table when I cast it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Elyv posted:

The way my friend built Zedruu is that he doesn't bother with any Zedruu-specific cards except for the surprisingly annoying Puca's Mischief, but instead he runs ORings and other things that he doesn't mind giving away. Considering how much mana and time you have to invest in order to draw cards when you're getting cute, I really think that that's the right way to go about it.

Yeah other than the few big dick player killers like FotD and Thought Lash I tend to avoid most of the stuff like that too. Steel Golem or whatever is just not worth spending ~7 mana to mildly nerf one player.

Yeah. I'm finding that most of the fun things to use with Zedruu aren't as effective as Oblivion Ring-type stuff and the big bombs that people have already discussed. It's kind of a shame because there's fun but prohibitively expensive stuff out there. This also makes me think that Zedruu could benefit from an Illusionist's Bracers, just to cut down on mana costs. The bracers aren't as broken as they are in other decks, but it might be worth it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Am I seeing Aetherflux Reservoir included in Zedruu lists just because he gains life? Seems kinda loose.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zedruu has a lot of gimmicky oneshot kills, I don't see Reservoir being too much worse than them but at the same time why have yet another one?

It's probably more reliable than Transcendance but ehhh

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zedruu has a lot of gimmicky oneshot kills, I don't see Reservoir being too much worse than them but at the same time why have yet another one?

It's probably more reliable than Transcendance but ehhh

How do you win with transcendence? Won't it trigger as soon as it hits the table when SBE are checked? Donating it wouldn't stop the trigger from resolving right, so you'd have to be below 20 before casting it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah if you're below 20 and anyone else is above 20 you can just drop it and kill them with a donate. And then control of it returns to you, and you can donate it again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I like Meekstone as a donate option because it is good and has Cmc 1.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, if Grafdigger's Cage isn't the first card in your 99 for Zedruu, I don't know what to tell you.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Because it hoses Enduring Ideal, duh.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Wat

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Ok so here's some Zedruu options, ranked by my loose opinion:

Bit strong/oppressive:
Pyromancer's Swath
Illusions of Grandeur
Zur's Weirding (this card being in play...your wincon is just denying all draws and hopefully gaining enough life to mitigate that)

Medium oppressive:
Embargo (this card is great. Made sure to get a foil one)
Bottled Cloister (give that blue player a Howling Mine, at the cost of them not having a hand during anyone else's turn. And if somehow BC leaves play, well, their hand is gone for good!)

Other:
Grasp of Fate
Mystic Barrier
Oath of Lieges
Quarantine Field
Stranglehold (dont give it to the blue player)
Hyena Umbra (protect your general for 1)
Darksteel Mutation
Gideon's Intervention (not great)
Detention Sphere
Land Tax (donate it late game)
Touch of the Eternal (give it to that guy with 8 lands who's at 80 life)
Meekstone
Exclusion Ritual (permanent exile)
Rest in Peace
Vedalken Plotter (two switcheroo's in 1!)

Will note that I play Zedruu as Enchantress, so I tried to jam a ton of enchantments into the deck. Getting them all back with Replenish, Open the Vaults, is pretty nice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pithing 👏 Needle 👏👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Good zedruu post. Probably going to copy a lot of that.

Is pithing needle worth it if I'm primarily playing 4 player games?