Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Whoa, back up a sec here. Is this with just straight system RAM? All Iris Pro parts have eRAM built in-die, right?
Only specific SKUs these days. There are Iris Pro parts that don't have any edram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yeah and again, this is very much likely a mobile part, with AMD yet again aping Intel nomenclature to good effect. So the CPU is running probably under 3.0ghz and with 2400 or 2667 DDR4, and it's a 2500U, which kind of indicates it's not the top end SKU, there is still the 2600U, 2700U and 2800U probably floating out there somewhere. I've been looking for an excuse to get rid of the HP 8440p I'm stuck with, a nice cheap RR laptop would be an insane value preposition for me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD is notably better at binning TDP in this product sector and since Kabini they often overestimate when it comes to low wattage parts (the 25w on AM1 is actually never reached unless you overclock for example)

Considering you can get 8 cores to run 35w power draw at 3.0ghz on an 8 core Ryzen, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a 25w 4c8t Raven Ridge, which would definitely chop the legs off of the upcoming 28w quad core Coffee Lake.

e: and with how a CCX works we might actually see 3 core parts, which haven't been seen since the Athlon II days...

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 28, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

isndl posted:

Unfortunate? You know Asrock engineers live for this poo poo, they would have gone insane years ago otherwise. :v:

Yeah, but the Asrock engineers are well past the 'he only does it because he loves me' stage of battered wife syndrome and down the rabbit hole of 'it hurts so good daddy' hardcore masochism. Damned if the end result won't be a mini-itx Epyc system.

eames
May 9, 2009

Der8auer's delidding videos were taken offline at the request of AMD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbffGyrkjMM

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD is notably better at binning TDP in this product sector and since Kabini they often overestimate when it comes to low wattage parts (the 25w on AM1 is actually never reached unless you overclock for example)

Considering you can get 8 cores to run 35w power draw at 3.0ghz on an 8 core Ryzen, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a 25w 4c8t Raven Ridge, which would definitely chop the legs off of the upcoming 28w quad core Coffee Lake.

e: and with how a CCX works we might actually see 3 core parts, which haven't been seen since the Athlon II days...

Well don't forget to add a few watts for the iGPU. Ryzen doesn't have any GPU silicon at all. Still, even 30-35w for a full package ain't bad and most ultrabooks should be able to handle it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

isndl posted:

Unfortunate? You know Asrock engineers live for this poo poo, they would have gone insane years ago otherwise. :v:

PCB layout is the fun part, trying to figure our why your PCB doesn't work right when it comes back from the fab is the part that will drive you insane.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

PCB layout is the fun part, trying to figure our why your PCB doesn't work right when it comes back from the fab is the part that will drive you insane.

Can confirm this even with simple PCBs. I spent a week diagnosing a board only to find out it was a manufacturing defect that was killing it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The layout people for asrock deserve a goddamn medal

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eames posted:

Cause that's not going to blow up in their faces. Seriously they know it's going to get done, why fight it?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Malcolm XML posted:

The layout people for asrock deserve a goddamn medal

They get that as soon as they deliver the mini-ITX TR4 board :colbert:

And more mini-STX boards please

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MaxxBot posted:

They get that as soon as they deliver the mini-ITX TR4 board :colbert:

And more mini-STX boards please

Mini-stx TR4 board confirmed?

wargames fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 28, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Can confirm this even with simple PCBs. I spent a week diagnosing a board only to find out it was a manufacturing defect that was killing it.

That's why you don't work at Asrock :colbert:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
God, I'd love to work at asrock :allears: Pity they are Taiwan or wherever

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

God, I'd love to work at asrock :allears: Pity they are Taiwan or wherever
Taiwan is genuinely appealing in comparison to a lot of places that consider themselves "first world" these days

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

eames posted:

This makes no sense. If it's an engineering sample, just say it. If not, any joe could find out after the release anyway...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1j3S6MKB_E&t=104s

That almost seems like a reasonable amount!

who's going to even have torx screwdrivers handy for this?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At a glance, those are either T15 or T20 screws. And at that size, you can probably get them from your hardware store.

Also hi, I have an old-rear end one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75093-System-Slotted-Phillips/dp/B002PJ3IYE/

edit: I'm not sure how I feel about there being a separate carrier element for TR4 sockets. Here's hoping that's entirely non-load bearing and purely floating, because I don't want to one day pop the socket open and realize that I need a new carrier to seat the chip because of <unforeseen failure condition>.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 28, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I have a full set of torx from T3 to T20. Now if those were security torx it would be pretty hilarious.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Looking at that and I probably would have given another dab or two. The amount of real estate on that fucker would have me really worried about it being too thin or not spreading properly at all, gat daym.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

bring back the awful installer dude.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Do those torx have spacers? I would think you would tighten them cross-wise so you don't fasten one side on too tight and then break the CPU if you tighten the other side.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

Every now and then I have a reason to feel good about my compulsive use of youtube-dl. :unsmith:

(Over the last few years I've just gotten loving sick of link rot. All but a handful of my early Youtube favorites are now gone forever, it just shows "video removed". gently caress that poo poo. Also, being able to use a local media player instead of Youtube's web interface is way nicer and saves on your data cap if you need to seek around a lot.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 28, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Do those torx have spacers? I would think you would tighten them cross-wise so you don't fasten one side on too tight and then break the CPU if you tighten the other side.

Probably a pretty good assumption that the screws bottom out before it overcompresses the socket pins. Also, if you notice, the socket itself has the three screws labeled, and prescribed order to manipulate them whether opening it up or locking it down.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Taiwan is genuinely appealing in comparison to a lot of places that consider themselves "first world" these days

i meant it in the sense that they are thousands of miles away and not somewhere i could easily move to

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty crazy that thing uses 2 blank dies to make the heatspreader more rigid.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

(Over the last few years I've just gotten loving sick of link rot. All but a handful of my early Youtube favorites are now gone forever, it just shows "video removed". gently caress that poo poo. Also, being able to use a local media player instead of Youtube's web interface is way nicer and saves on your data cap if you need to seek around a lot.)

I absolutely 100% understand this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

Every now and then I have a reason to feel good about my compulsive use of youtube-dl. :unsmith:

wait you download every youtube video you watch and store them, thats a level of eHoarding i havent seen before

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean it makes sense that everything about Threadripper is cut down Epyc. Blank silicon in the same shape as the rest of the entire product stack is almost certainly cheaper than getting new heatspreaders for a relatively low quantity part.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

wait you download every youtube video you watch and store them, thats a level of eHoarding i havent seen before

I mean, you're downloading them anyway when you watch them, and VLC is a way better experience than Youtube (in particular it runs much better on my laptop, which is prone to overheating because I haven't cleaned the heatsinks in a few years).

If it's something from someone's personal channel that's at risk of rotting away and I enjoyed it then yes, I have a lot of SFM videos and stuff archived. If it's from a large channel then no, I don't usually keep those without a reason (wanting to rewatch it later or show something to my GF, needing it as reference material, etc). As an intermediate step you can store in reduced quality, 720p isn't that big and 480p is practically tiny. There's also no reason to keep (or even download) video if what you want is the audio - youtube-dl has a -f bestaudio switch for handling music.

If you're good about cleaning up (hint: use a find cronjob to delete anything older than 30 days that you haven't explicitly moved to a "keep" folder) all you need is some slush space. I maybe have 50 gigs of Youtube videos that I actually keep, which is nothing compared to my Sonarr/CouchPotato library. I am pretty sensitive to video/audio quality so I prefer watching shows/movies in full 1080p where possible. Since I'm on a data cap, once content checks in it doesn't check out.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 28, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NewFatMike posted:

I mean it makes sense that everything about Threadripper is cut down Epyc. Blank silicon in the same shape as the rest of the entire product stack is almost certainly cheaper than getting new heatspreaders for a relatively low quantity part.

I guess it means they only need to create one package, heatspreader, etc and run it through all the same production line processes.

Is the pinout the same too? I guess if a die is destined for one or the other type of chips they can just laser it to set the configuration in hardware.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

AT&T's peering with youtube sucks in some areas, at peak youtube times it can be impossible to watch things at higher than 480p without tons of buffering on a wired 1000mbit connection.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

AT&T's peering with youtube sucks in some areas, at peak youtube times it can be impossible to watch things at higher than 480p without tons of buffering on a wired 1000mbit connection.

Same with Comcast actually. About 7-8PM I can watch one 1080P stream at most on a 50mb connection.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, you're downloading them anyway when you watch them, and VLC is a way better experience than Youtube (in particular it runs much better on my laptop, which is prone to overheating because I haven't cleaned the heatsinks in a few years).

If it's something from someone's personal channel that's at risk of rotting away and I enjoyed it then yes, I have a lot of SFM videos and stuff archived. If it's from a large channel then no, I don't usually keep those without a reason (wanting to rewatch it later/needing it as reference material/etc). As an intermediate step you can store in reduced quality, 720p isn't that big and 480p is practically tiny. There's also no reason to keep (or even download) video if what you want is the audio - youtube-dl has a -f bestaudio switch for handling music.

If you're good about cleaning up (hint: use a find cronjob to delete anything older than 30 days that you haven't explicitly moved to a "keep" folder) all you need is some slush space. I maybe have 50 gigs of Youtube videos that I actually keep, which is nothing compared to my Sonarr/CouchPotato library. I am pretty sensitive to video/audio quality so I prefer watching shows/movies in full 1080p where possible. Since I'm on a data cap, once content checks in it doesn't check out.

if you don't already know, mpv has nice youtube-dl support letting you do stuff like "mpv http://youtube.com/andsoon". Won't save a copy but a lot better than watching with the browser.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Youtube-dl is good and cool

Thanks for listening

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

kujeger posted:

if you don't already know, mpv has nice youtube-dl support letting you do stuff like "mpv http://youtube.com/andsoon". Won't save a copy but a lot better than watching with the browser.

I didn't and that's nice. Overall though I do like the "rolling buffer" aspect of my approach.

I'm not wedded to VLC, MPC-HC is pretty nice and there's a few others that were mentioned when MPC-HC shut down development.

I was wondering if there might be a way to "tee" the output, so it downloads to disk but I have a proxy I can connect to on localhost and play it at the same time. Would be nice for stuff like live events, I like watching the NVIDIA/AMD presentations at GTC/Computex/etc and I need to grab frames to reference specific points. A day later it will be on Youtube or whatever but that doesn't help me when I want to discuss the highlights immediately during/after. What I usually do is enable Shadowplay desktop recording or use OBS and just record one of my monitors with it fullscreened :frogbon:

Neither here nor there but A/V libraries/codecs are some of the most important poo poo that we just take for granted. ffmpeg and libavcodec are hugely important to your modern computer experience whether you realize it or not.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I guess it means they only need to create one package, heatspreader, etc and run it through all the same production line processes.

Is the pinout the same too? I guess if a die is destined for one or the other type of chips they can just laser it to set the configuration in hardware.

IIRC it's "the same" but a big set of pins for the TR4 platform aren't there (presumably because the dies aren't there).

I mean, cutting costs where it matters and where it doesn't is important, and I think in general Threadripper is about the most efficiently one can make a HEDT platform. Hell maybe the entire Zen lineup.

Contrary to what RTG says, nobody really cares about FPS/inch anyway, so a monster package is probably fine.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

Contrary to what RTG says, nobody really cares about FPS/inch anyway, so a monster package is probably fine.

:frogon:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

I didn't and that's nice. Overall though I do like the "rolling buffer" aspect of my approach.

I'm not wedded to VLC, MPC-HC is pretty nice and there's a few others that were mentioned when MPC-HC shut down development.

I was wondering if there might be a way to "tee" the output, so it downloads to disk but I have a proxy I can connect to on localhost and play it at the same time. Would be nice for stuff like live events, I like watching the NVIDIA/AMD presentations at GTC/Computex/etc and I need to grab frames to reference specific points. A day later it will be on Youtube or whatever but that doesn't help me when I want to discuss the highlights immediately during/after. What I usually do is enable Shadowplay desktop recording or use OBS and just record one of my monitors with it fullscreened :frogbon:

Neither here nor there but A/V libraries/codecs are some of the most important poo poo that we just take for granted. ffmpeg and libavcodec are hugely important to your modern computer experience whether you realize it or not.

Turns out when a really popular piece of software is announced to be dead due to lack of devs, suddenly people start showing up and MPC-HC is no longer dead.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174738

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Looks like AMD's Vega presentation starts at 10:30 am EST tomorrow.

It won't be streamed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RadeonPro/status/891109514845372417