Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

JnnyThndrs posted:

That used to be true back in the day, but nowadays debit and credit card protections are virtually the same:

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2009/08/18/fraud-protection-debit-versus-credit-cards

The only real difference is that fraud pulls YOUR money out so you're broke, while CC fraud charges usually get taken care of by the time you get your bill, so it's no big deal. That said, I had a couple fraudulent debit charges a few months ago and the bank had my $$$ back within 48 hrs. Of course, each bank is different.

Yes, this would be exactly what I'm referring to.

Again, how does using a debit card for your hotel room make you "paranoid," and not just "really, really dumb?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Thanatosian posted:

Yes, this would be exactly what I'm referring to.

Again, how does using a debit card for your hotel room make you "paranoid," and not just "really, really dumb?"

I don't see a difference.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Something I do to minimize to effectiveness of card theft by pics or physical theft is to completely, physically remove the CVV2 code from the back of my debit and credit cards with a knife. I of course make notes about all these values along with my passwords, passport and ID images, etc in my Keepass database. I only carry one each personal debit and credit, plus a work credit card, so remembering them is easy and nobody who has physical access to the card should need that code anyway.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is a company called Accenture an MLM? Someone I speak to has started working for them and has evidently been strongly encouraged to recruit others to do the same.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this is the greatest card theft story i have ever heard:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJb7f7KGqQ4

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AlphaKretin posted:

Is a company called Accenture an MLM? Someone I speak to has started working for them and has evidently been strongly encouraged to recruit others to do the same.

The only Accenture I know of is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accenture

I would assume they don't engage in MLM.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JnnyThndrs posted:

That used to be true back in the day, but nowadays debit and credit card protections are virtually the same:

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2009/08/18/fraud-protection-debit-versus-credit-cards

The only real difference is that fraud pulls YOUR money out so you're broke, while CC fraud charges usually get taken care of by the time you get your bill, so it's no big deal. That said, I had a couple fraudulent debit charges a few months ago and the bank had my $$$ back within 48 hrs. Of course, each bank is different.

Yeah, banks are getting really good about refunding fraud charges, they will investigate thoroughly though, so you can't use it as a trick.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is the greatest card theft story i have ever heard:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJb7f7KGqQ4

This is such a pro-click.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 28, 2017

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

AlphaKretin posted:

Accenture is a legit company as far as I know but their stock market...symbol? whatever. is ACN, which is an apparently-unrelated MLM company. Learn something new every day.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i have only ever heard generic bad things about working for Accenture. I don't know if that's true, but their wikipedia page looks like it was written by one of their marketing interns and it makes them sound like the most generic buzzword company in the planet

i applied for a software job once, at their local branch here. i got an email reply from one of those alias emails that companies use to shield the names of their hiring department, asking me for my college gpa. i replied and never heard anything else

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Accenture is fairly big multinational consultancy firm, it's not unusual for referral bonuses to be pretty lucrative in that sector because a lot of companies are trying to recruit from the relatively small group of what they define as 'high potentials'. I'd guess that's the most likely explanation

Or your friend is just really enthusiastic, but Accentures reputation isn't that it's a super fun place to work (unless you're into that kind of thing, in which case you'd probably know them)

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The latest Reply All episode is goddamn wild. We've all heard tales of peeps sassing tech support scammers, but this guy took a completely different approach.
https://gimletmedia.com/episode/long-distance/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Old Binsby posted:

but Accentures reputation isn't that it's a super fun place to work

its great if

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Pentaro posted:

The latest Reply All episode is goddamn wild. We've all heard tales of peeps sassing tech support scammers, but this guy took a completely different approach.
https://gimletmedia.com/episode/long-distance/

That was pretty interesting, I'll definitely be looking forward to the next part of the story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reply All is great, listened to the first 15 minutes or so and it's already been crazy. Reading out the Anonymous mantra was hilarious. Indians outside of India are generally super cool and chill people but man, India is such a hosed up hellscape you can't help but feel sorry and pissed at the same time.

lol at the guy making $1,400 a day off innocent people looking down at Americans for being rich, and also for not getting out of India.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Accenture (as in these guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accenture) are a completely legit IT/Management Consultancy firm. There is a referral scheme for employees, but no different to most large consulting/FS firms.

It's absolutely nothing to do with these guys (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACN_Inc.), although as TheKennedys points out, Accenture trades under the ticker ACN.

And that Reply All episode was fantastic, Alex Goldman can be such a risk-to-the-wind!-weirdo sometimes, it's great.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

technically and legally legit != cool and good place to work

E: I guess it depends on your posting as all temp/contract jobs do. I won't drop my favorite (so far) contracting house in here for life/goon firewall reason, but they are my favorite because the pay check showed up on time and I only dealt with them enough to set up hire paperwork/direct deposit.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 29, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reply All is great, listened to the first 15 minutes or so and it's already been crazy. Reading out the Anonymous mantra was hilarious. Indians outside of India are generally super cool and chill people but man, India is such a hosed up hellscape you can't help but feel sorry and pissed at the same time.

lol at the guy making $1,400 a day off innocent people looking down at Americans for being rich, and also for not getting out of India.

India might not be Britain but its also not Somalia.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

E: misread.

Rest of the episode was great, looking forward to th= next one for sure.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 30, 2017

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: I guess it depends on your posting as all temp/contract jobs do.

Oh absolutely - I've worked for, and resigned from, Accenture so believe me when I say I know exactly what you mean.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Grandma nearly got took by phone scammers posing as publishers clearinghouse last week. Standard fare, called her up saying she won but they couldn't give her the money unless she paid the taxes/fees first and that she could go to Walmart to send them the $500 and they would even stay on the phone with her the whole time and guide her every step of the way. Walmart closed in her town so she had to drive half an hour away.

When she gets there she believes she accidentally locked her keys in the car and she needs to call the police to have them come open the door. The scammers of course are urging her not to and to just go do the money order, but she keeps insisting she needs to call the police for help. They hang up on her, she calls the cops who in turn call a tow-truck or whatever to come out and open her door. Turns out she didn't lock the keys in the car at all, they were in her purse the whole time.

Of course the whole family is upset with her for nearly handing scammers a bunch of money.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Maybe your grandma shouldn't be driving. Your family - kinda reaching here - might just be freaked out the woman they knew is old now and not as sharp as she used to be? Hope they come around on the blame thing. Probably worth looking into whether that key forgetfulness/scam gullibility isn't an early sign of Alzheimer's, lovely as that might sound

And maybe get her a book if she likes them so bad

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
I'm trying to picture what would happen if I called the police and asked them to send their best locksmith because I locked my keys inside the car.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Highbrow Slick posted:

I'm trying to picture what would happen if I called the police and asked them to send their best locksmith because I locked my keys inside the car.
If you're white, cops are also locksmiths. My mom locked her keys in her car and waved down a passing cop. He pulled out his slim jim and wedges and opened her car for her.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you're white, cops are also locksmiths. My mom locked her keys in her car and waved down a passing cop. He pulled out his slim jim and wedges and opened her car for her.

Your mom got slim jimmed by a random cop?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

FrozenVent posted:

Your mom got slim jimmed by a random cop?

Uhh thats actually pretty common (normal response)

She also had sex with him (SA response)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

stab posted:

Uhh thats actually pretty common (normal response)

She also had sex with him (SA response)

Did he help her move her printer first?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Depends on local policies. My hometown did that until the mid 90s when some old lady sued over damages to her Mercedes when they opened her car at their request so not anymore.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Gobbeldygook posted:

I did this one time (early 2000s) in white suburbia. The cop gave me a lot of grief and was all like wouldn't you rather call a towing company or anything other than me. But cop was already there so I was like nah you might as well. He had me sign a waiver form and he popped the lock in two seconds. I was half expecting him to just search my vehicle after but he just left. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My mom locked my 9 month old daughter in my new car, then flagged down a cop that TRIED his slim Jim, but just hosed up the paint and the lock.

When I got there he ghosted.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: I guess it depends on your posting as all temp/contract jobs do. I won't drop my favorite (so far) contracting house in here for life/goon firewall reason, but they are my favorite because the pay check showed up on time and I only dealt with them enough to set up hire paperwork/direct deposit.

please do not 1099 for large consultancies

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Remulak posted:

My mom locked my 9 month old daughter in my new car, then flagged down a cop that TRIED his slim Jim, but just hosed up the paint and the lock.

isn't the online dating megathread in e/n

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

Slim jims take a good bit of practice to get good with. At one of my old jobs we had a sprinter that for some reason people we always locking the keys in, after a month or three I think our warehouse manager could have quit and become a professional car thief. Every time someone else tried we would gently caress up the paint, window seal, or the door mechanism, or sometimes all three.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...what I'm saying is "gently caress Comcast."

From forever ago but I recently called Comcast to cancel my cable TV and landline after my mother was permanently hospitalized (she wanted that poo poo). As of now, I'm still receiving cable TV. I haven't gotten a bill yet but why do I suspect that they'll have no record of me cancelling my service even though I turned in almost all of my equipment? I kept the one box because the poo poo still worked, figuring I'd hand that in once the signal went out.

gently caress...now Im worried they'll have no record of me returning the equipment. Comcast is amazing in its fuckery.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cancel in writing, have them sign for receipt? Turn in all your poo poo, play by their rules

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

Cancel in writing, have them sign for receipt? Turn in all your poo poo, play by their rules

This, you're basically giving them every reason to continue to bill you if you keep their equipment and use their service.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
It’s digital cable. They log that poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

From forever ago but I recently called Comcast to cancel my cable TV and landline after my mother was permanently hospitalized (she wanted that poo poo). As of now, I'm still receiving cable TV. I haven't gotten a bill yet but why do I suspect that they'll have no record of me cancelling my service even though I turned in almost all of my equipment? I kept the one box because the poo poo still worked, figuring I'd hand that in once the signal went out.

gently caress...now Im worried they'll have no record of me returning the equipment. Comcast is amazing in its fuckery.

Did you turn in the equipment at a depot/servive center? If so, you've got your receipt

Did you ship back for free from a UPS store? If so, your tracking ID is your receipt (UPS scans the serial of each unit into their system)

If you're still watching cable, then you are still on the hook up until the day it turns off. You need to tell them to shut it off immediately. You then have 10 days to turn in (or get to a UPS store) the box.

I went through this about 2 years ago, told them to kill the TV service but keep the Internet, and then shipped the boxes back using UPS. I never checked to see if there was a TV signal after that, but then again I haven't seen a charge for it.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Proteus Jones posted:

Did you turn in the equipment at a depot/servive center? If so, you've got your receipt

Did you ship back for free from a UPS store? If so, your tracking ID is your receipt (UPS scans the serial of each unit into their system)

If you're still watching cable, then you are still on the hook up until the day it turns off. You need to tell them to shut it off immediately. You then have 10 days to turn in (or get to a UPS store) the box.

I went through this about 2 years ago, told them to kill the TV service but keep the Internet, and then shipped the boxes back using UPS. I never checked to see if there was a TV signal after that, but then again I haven't seen a charge for it.

My family has a super old house in Canada, and my mom dropped our cable plan bc the house is empty most of the year.

It took them over a decade to actually turn it off. She called them a bunch (over a number of years too) and told them but the response was that our cable couldn't be on, we weren't paying for it. One summer we went up and poof, no more TV.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Got an automated call today with a robo voice telling me that I was being sued in County Court in Maryland, with a Maryland number.

Apparently its a common drive by to see if people will bite and call the call-back number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a stamped sheet of paper saying I turned in my Orange equipment and the bastards still haven't paid me. This is after they told me other the phone they'd reimburse me for a service I didn't want, then told me a month later when I called that they never reimburse. Then I went online and they did it.

Telecoms companies loving suck.