Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Interesting, I wanted to pick one up to use to reprofile all my knives to the same angles based on use so I would have an easier time freehanding them, but I am already loaded down with rarely useful gizmos.

The thing is, even after you reprofile you're still gonna gently caress up. You're just not gonna hit 18 degrees or whatever freehand, especially not the first time. What you're actually gonna do is feel out the stroke (heh, phrasing) against the stone and find through your tactile sense the actual edge your knife will accept and maintain for longer, rather than the factory ground edge it says on the label and got hosed up in the first place. So... just start with that, IMO.

p-hop posted:

I just peeled 150lbs of potatoes with a paring knife*, peeled 50 lbs sweet potatoes, 25lbs carrots, diced a 10 gallon bucket of stale bread for croutons, diced a case of mushrooms, case of strawberries, case of broccoli, fine diced a fish tub full of mirepoix. My hand and arm aren't even sore. What have I become :stare:

A sophomore :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I curve my long knives' edge when I use the fakepro but don't when freehand :shrug:

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i think i walked in on the exec at my day job having a nervous breakdown in the walk-in. i was pushing a speedrack of chicken into it and as soon as i opened the door he was standing there screaming FUCKFUCKFUCK at the top of his lungs and throwing wheels of cheese around

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

definitely made the rest of the shift a little awkward

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

the great deceiver posted:

standing there screaming FUCKFUCKFUCK at the top of his lungs and throwing wheels of cheese around

Should have just said "same"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, that seems pretty normal for chefs.

Just don't make eye contact and leave him to it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah don't ever acknowledge personal defeat or self defeating thoughts or actions, just pat a bro on the back and say 'this is our life now' and carry on drinking yourself into oblivion

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I used to do that. You should try it. It's very therapeutic.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

mindphlux posted:

yeah don't ever acknowledge personal defeat or self defeating thoughts or actions, just pat a bro on the back and say 'this is our life now' and carry on drinking yourself into oblivion

yeah this is exactly what i did

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Let me tell you how cool plating 2 hours before an event and bringing things up to temp in a Rational is.

ITS REALLY loving COOL!

e: this may be the lowest stress my job has ever been.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Let me tell you how cool plating 2 hours before an event and bringing things up to temp in a Rational is.

ITS REALLY loving COOL!

Rationals are fantastic, and getting to use one is one of a very small number of things I miss from my old hospital job. Grats on the chill position.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

ITS REALLY loving COOL!

Do you have the ones where you can literally wheel the 8-or-whatever level rack into the oven, close the door behind it (rack and all), let it do its thing, and then just pull it out and wheel to the service station when it's done? Because those things are loving awesome.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Naelyan posted:

Do you have the ones where you can literally wheel the 8-or-whatever level rack into the oven, close the door behind it (rack and all), let it do its thing, and then just pull it out and wheel to the service station when it's done? Because those things are loving awesome.

Yeah, the smart cook center model. 100 finished plates fit on a rack, and you just reheat for 12mins, and the poo poo comes out perfect.

My new kitchen in the expansion has 3 of the newest model, I can control those from my phone or some poo poo. It's gonna be loving awesome!

What's really cool is I can sous vide hundreds of pounds of stuff in them, set the thermostat to 140F or what have you, and 100% humidity.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Prime rib is the special again!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

What's really cool is I can sous vide hundreds of pounds of stuff in them, set the thermostat to 140F or what have you, and 100% humidity.

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I need out of this industry.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
bad things about my stage: i hosed up red wine reduction for my plate. reductions were either the 2nd or 3rd thing I learned to do ever, and i hosed it up trying to reheat quickly and instead it reduced to a molten candy. on a stage. goddammit

good things about my stage: most of the other things.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bad things about your stage: That you had to do one. Staging is hosed up and needs to be done away with.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

He didn't stage, he did a tasting :V

e: and if he can prove he's not retarded to my boss over the next 6mos he'll be banquet sous or sous for the bistro in the expansion.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 29, 2017

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Bad things about your stage: That you had to do one. Staging is hosed up and needs to be done away with.

are you staging for free? the past couple stages ive done i was cashed out at the end of the night.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

are you staging for free? the past couple stages ive done i was cashed out at the end of the night.

I'm out of the industry entirely (and when I was in, I was FOH/bar). But I keep coming back to things like this:

https://www.eater.com/2017/6/26/15876834/willows-inn-ends-staging-internship-wage-lawsuit

quote:

One of the Pacific Northwest’s most acclaimed fine dining destinations will no longer be able to lean on unpaid labor. The Willows Inn, located on Washington State’s Lummi Island, has been ordered to cough up $149,000 in unpaid wages and damages to 19 kitchen employees following a Department of Labor investigation.

According to a DOL press release, the restaurant “violated the Fair Labor Standards Act by failing to pay overtime and minimum wage to its employees.” The Willows Inn required its entry-level kitchen staff to work one month for free as as a “try-out period,” and once hired, “kitchen workers were paid daily rates from $50 per day for up to 14 hours per day” with no overtime.

And it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but people in F&B are underpaid as it is more often than not. Asking BOH folks to stage at no pay is a lovely practice and needs to be abolished. If you're getting paid for stages, awesome - I just associate the term with unpaid shifts.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

am unpaid month long stage?!?!?!?!? yeah you got me hosed up. that's beyond unreasonable

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

He didn't stage, he did a tasting :V

e: and if he can prove he's not retarded to my boss over the next 6mos he'll be banquet sous or sous for the bistro in the expansion.

You just enjoy dragging him around Austin don't you?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

am unpaid month long stage?!?!?!?!? yeah you got me hosed up. that's beyond unreasonable

An unpaid single day stage is unreasonable. A tasting for management/owners is perfectly fine - that's part of the interview process. But as soon as you're serving customers, you should be getting paid. On the bar side, I felt the same way. Can you make these 10 drinks, can you pass a pour test, etc. But again, as soon as you're behind the stick on a live shift, you deserve a full share of tips.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My last place tried to give me a "working interview" for dishwashing. I am not washing dishes for free, unless none of those dishes are from customers, and I personally watch you open up a can of beans and make a mess out of some plates just so you can see how I wash em.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The General posted:

My last place tried to give me a "working interview" for dishwashing. I am not washing dishes for free, unless none of those dishes are from customers, and I personally watch you open up a can of beans and make a mess out of some plates just so you can see how I wash em.

Are you serious? For dishwashing? Jesus.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You just enjoy dragging him around Austin don't you?

He's really reliable, and I keep getting him higher pay :shrug:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

He's really reliable, and I keep getting him higher pay :shrug:

So yes.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Today a 9 year old kid slammed his elbow into my dick while I was clearing appetizer plates and the parents complained to the manager because I yelled "OW MY DICK"

Then as a follow up the kitchen ducked up their meals, twice. And they tried to claim that I did it intentionally as revenge for getting hit in the dick.

Classic front of house.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

Today a 9 year old kid slammed his elbow into my dick while I was clearing appetizer plates and the parents complained to the manager because I yelled "OW MY DICK"

Then as a follow up the kitchen ducked up their meals, twice. And they tried to claim that I did it intentionally as revenge for getting hit in the dick.

Classic front of house.

It's loving cute how people think FOH has any control over the quality of their food.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

It's loving cute how people think FOH has any control over the quality of their food.

If you told me someone complained that their kid hit you in the dick when I was younger, I would have hosed with their food

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you told me someone complained that their kid hit you in the dick when I was younger, I would have hosed with their food

Be honest, when you were younger you would have hosed up their food on accident without thinking it was a big deal.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I took the next two days off and hell it feels good.

I don't think I've had a Saturday / Sunday combo off in years.

*Someone is def calling out Sunday and I'll have to come in*

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Man and his dog posted:

I took the next two days off and hell it feels good.

I don't think I've had a Saturday / Sunday combo off in years.

*Someone is def calling out Sunday and I'll have to come in*

"Sorry boss, I'm out of town out of fucks to give, I won't be able to make it in to cover."

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The General posted:

lmao get hosed

i cannot, personally, envision a situation in which i'm willing to gamble on a cold call, but not willing to ante up $50 or whatever for a couple hours of their time while i suss out their work ethic

the brazen shamelessness of some people still manages to surprise me sometimes

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Welcome to the industry.

Can you imagine what the reactions would be in any other professional environment?

"Yeah, Shelley, we're going to need you to come in and run the desk for a couple days so we can get a feel for how you fit the culture before making a hiring decision..."

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

Be honest, when you were younger you would have hosed up their food on accident without thinking it was a big deal.

hosed WITH not up.

But yeah you're right.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think if you get caught exploiting your staff your staff should get to destroy your restaurant for a limited period. Like the more egregious the exploitation the longer the destruction window. Maybe they get tools in addition to PPE.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Hot takes:

Everyone in the house makes mistakes and being a petty little poo poo about it instead of moving forward to fix it is worse for everyone.

If your employer (potential or otherwise) isn't willing to play you for your labor, he/she isn't worth working for, assuming you have any other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
unpaid internships are a thing though? not defending lovely business owners, but I've definitely staged industry positions for free for ~2 weeks at a time, and gotten a lot out of it personally. Could or should I have been like 'uhhhh, you should pay me for this' - yeah probably, but there are always folks who would probably just do it for the chance to do it and learn something / get an angle on a gig they think is awesome.

"working interview" of a dishwasher though, lol, go gently caress yourself.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 29, 2017