Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Considering how dead cheap it is to scrub splatfest tees, it might be best not to grind for the last slot and just scrub two chunks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

wow I already hate the dual squelchers

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cicadas! posted:

wow I already hate the dual squelchers

I haven't used them, but I am already tired of playing against them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everybody plays like 5 games with new weapons when they come out, it will die out by morning

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I am rear end at tower control. I'm B rank in the other modes C- in tower. I'm getting the most splats on my team but I know that's not the issue. Any tips?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I have that same issue, so if someone could clear it up things would be great.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

JackDarko posted:

I am rear end at tower control. I'm B rank in the other modes C- in tower. I'm getting the most splats on my team but I know that's not the issue. Any tips?

Always be on the tower even even if one person is on it. That way you cover each others back and the tower goes faster.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Try standing on the tower until it reaches the end

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bandaid.friend posted:

Considering how dead cheap it is to scrub splatfest tees, it might be best not to grind for the last slot and just scrub two chunks?

Why?

I like how there's a meta game with Splatfest shirts now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why?

I like how there's a meta game with Splatfest shirts now.

It takes more xp to get the third slot than the first two combined, and you'll get more than 2k in those matches to scrub them. It will be way faster than grinding off regular gear.

I wonder if splatfest tees have any ability affinities

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Solid advice thanks Squad.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Jarogue posted:

Always be on the tower even even if one person is on it. That way you cover each others back and the tower goes faster.

To add to this, pay attention to how many members of each team are alive. If you just saw 3 members of the enemy team go down and you have 3 people on the tower getting ahead a bit and inking a path has value too because it also can force the enemy to have to try to take the tower back with suboptimal positioning or waste time inking back to better points of attack. Make sure when you know you're blown you either get back to the tower or try to help win the fight though, you don't want to push too far ahead because you will probably get splatted and the extra work they have to do doesn't make up for the fact that you have to wait to respawn and get back to the fight. If you're still trying to get used to the mode it's fine to just focus on the objective. As you play more you'll get a better sense of what you're doing.

Also good general tip for all modes: If you are not actively in a firefight occasionally press x and check the current map state. That will give you helpful info about where the enemy is going to come from and keep you aware of what your team is doing. This is especially helpful when you have the rainmaker and maybe aren't sure where the best/safest looking path is.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I love when a turf war starts and I'm the only one rushing. The rest stand around meticulously inking every square inch of our base. Just wait until you die and fill in the blanks, you turds.

I gotta say I like the share feature of the mobile app. It makes a nice little summary of everything. Like when we lost a guy and I wrecked everyone. So much nicer than copying captured screens to my PC.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

GI_Clutch posted:

I love when a turf war starts and I'm the only one rushing. The rest stand around meticulously inking every square inch of our base. Just wait until you die and fill in the blanks, you turds.

I gotta say I like the share feature of the mobile app. It makes a nice little summary of everything. Like when we lost a guy and I wrecked everyone. So much nicer than copying captured screens to my PC.

Cool.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I've literally lost 20 regulars in a row and I'm heartbroken over how little I'm enjoying this game

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

We just wiped wave 1 because my teammates jumped off the ship to attack the waves during glowflies. I'm about to have a coniption fit.

Edit: And then sat at the bottom calling for help instead of coming up.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Saint Freak posted:

The next line is 'Well I like to work up a good lather first'. That's the joke. Stop being weirds.

They actually do play with ambiguity though. Sometimes she instead says that's not cool, some of her best friends are sea sponges.

They're playing the ambiguity between cleaning sponge and animal sponge.

bandaid.friend posted:

It's meant to glow brighter but noone can tell :S

Uh it's really obvious. Are you like... not shooting them or something? The glow *after shooting them* gets brighter as you're closer to Goldie, and the thing is also taller.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I don't like AFK players

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JackDarko posted:

Same, I think its harder to carry the match in tower control than in other modes.

GI_Clutch posted:

Yeah the constant mantra of "INK YOUR SPAWN YOU IDIOTS" seems to have taught a lot of people to meticulously ink spawn at start of round which is the worst.

You definitely want to charge the enemy ASAP, maaaaybe one person hang back to paint to try to get an early super off on the enemy. But then as people die, they paint spawn when they spawn.

:sigh:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Keiya posted:

Uh it's really obvious. Are you like... not shooting them or something? The glow *after shooting them* gets brighter as you're closer to Goldie, and the thing is also taller.

No I've just been looking for glow before I shoot them and move on

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Leave the base for respawns, that way you can regain lost special meter when you die.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Same, I think its harder to carry the match in tower control than in other modes.

Yeah the constant mantra of "INK YOUR SPAWN YOU IDIOTS" seems to have taught a lot of people to meticulously ink spawn at start of round which is the worst.

You definitely want to charge the enemy ASAP, maaaaybe one person hang back to paint to try to get an early super off on the enemy. But then as people die, they paint spawn when they spawn.

:sigh:

Except for the people who don't. I don't like it when we win mid but nobody painted any of the nooks of spawn so we lose.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Here are my tips for Turf War:

-At the start of the match, ink a path directly to the center as fast as possible and begin inking it and fighting any enemies who approach the center
--If you get an opening, push into their side and start painting it
--If someone slips by and begins painting your side, FIND HIM AND KILL HIM before he erases too much of your progress
-If you die, after you respawn pick a path that isn't inked and ink it along your way back to the center
--If it doesn't take too much time out of your trip, while you're on the way ink any glaring big patches that you pass by, ESPECIALLY if they have enemy ink on them
--Don't super jump back into the action until enough of your side is covered (and only if it's safe, duh)

The end goal should be that you force the enemy to fight for their side of the map while you control the middle and cover most of your side. Spending a lot of time inking your own side at the start just gives them a chance to do this to you.

People can't ink when they're dead. Avoiding fights and spending all your time inking is a waste of time that doesn't help at all if just one person on the other side inks faster than you; they'll just negate your progress and then some. Of course sitting still with a Charger and pretending you're legendary sniper Vasili Zaitsev doesn't help either - there has to be a balance. If you're spending all your time when not fighting to spray ink everywhere you should be okay though.

Err on the side of alive rather than dead though. If someone is difficult to fight because of positioning or the weapon they have, then it's perfectly fine to pull out because you're better alive than dead. It's especially important to have more living Inklings than the other team in the last 30 seconds. (Of course this is also why it's important to fight them if you have a good chance of pulling it off)

This is stuff that worked in the first game and it works just as well in this game. Main difference is that there are fewer maps with tough choke points in the center so it's even more important to be aware of people who sneak by and ink your side.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 29, 2017

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Just had a dude on the results screen with a score of 0p. I don't really know how this is possible considering I never saw anyone idling at spawn and I don't think we were down any players.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cicadas! posted:

Just had a dude on the results screen with a score of 0p. I don't really know how this is possible considering I never saw anyone idling at spawn and I don't think we were down any players.

That means they disconnected.

Also if anyone doesn't know how Ink Armor works. there's a delay between it activating and then kicking in. Once you hear that little clicking sound, that means it's active. You can take 1 hit from anything before it goes away early (And there's a very short period after being hit once before it goes away entirely.) So use it preemptively. It won't save you if you're in a firefight unless the enemy has horrendous aim.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cicadas! posted:

Rage quits do this.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Rage quits do this.

well heck

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's me, I'm the guy who actually likes using Inkbrushes in Salmon Run.

Sure I'm not gonna help much against Steelheads, and having to combat at melee range isn't ideal, but I sure as hell won't get caught napping in Salmon Ink while a bomb explodes next to me or Maws are under me or missles are landing around me. I can speed straight into The poo poo and get eggs and speed straight out. I can kill poo poo well enough given literally any support. My team loves me when the Grillers come because smallfry can't get anywhere near us (and I can do this while running away if I'm targeted).

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
Ink brush is great for running golden eggs to the basket, it's quick and enemy ink won't get in your way. Ideally you would leave the egg collecting to the brush guy and everyone else takes out the bosses.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
On the one hand I got to 100 point profressional in 25 shifts of salmon run and think the current weapon set there is the best thing ever...
On the other hand I am incapable of ascending passed B+ in any ranked mode.

Maybe it's because I think Blaster, Roller, Heavysplatling are good weapons.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I have a screenshot here of a game result. I got top team score with my blaster at 950 ink and 7 kills. My teammates were all rollers who got 650, 450 and 300 ink with less kills. The concerning part is I was level 9 while they were levels 12, 14 and 31. The spawn was embarassingly bare of ink and I have no idea what they were doing the whole time

e: nice

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 29, 2017

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Was opening gambit decent in 1? It seems like it could be used to get some traction at the start of ranked battles.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I remembered it being niche, not really that valuable. I didn't play much after the first couple of months though so maybe they changed it up.
More modern question, is there any point to using the jet squelcher at this point?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dr. Fetus posted:

That means they disconnected.

Also if anyone doesn't know how Ink Armor works. there's a delay between it activating and then kicking in. Once you hear that little clicking sound, that means it's active. You can take 1 hit from anything before it goes away early (And there's a very short period after being hit once before it goes away entirely.) So use it preemptively. It won't save you if you're in a firefight unless the enemy has horrendous aim.

Ever since I was advised earlier in this thread as to how this works I've been using it in ranked right before a push to help ensure we win the fight. I think that's contributed well to my success in ranked so far.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Gorp posted:

I remembered it being niche, not really that valuable. I didn't play much after the first couple of months though so maybe they changed it up.
More modern question, is there any point to using the jet squelcher at this point?

It's longer range than the dual squelchies

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

God

Help

Me

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wow this group of weapons for salmon run is awful

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Dugong posted:

Wow this group of weapons for salmon run is awful

People keep saying this and I constantly am baffled.
This is the set that should let most people get top ranked.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

RuBisCO posted:

God

Help

Me

I often think of this.

The Gorp posted:

People keep saying this and I constantly am baffled.
This is the set that should let most people get top ranked.

Eh, I think it depends a lot on who has what and when since people have varying strengths and weaknesses while playing. Salmon runs reward those who can vary their play styles accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Towers is my least favorite map but it's absolutely amazing in rainmaker for some reason.
Climbing up the enemy tower is the funnest thing in the world.