Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Xander77 posted:

Far Cry 4 Brotherhood (I'm still trying to make that happen):

I just played through a mission from Longinus that sent me into the Himalayas (a separate location you teleport to by E-ing a Sherpa).

Even though it was marked with an L on the map, it apparently didn't count for "seek and complete 1 Longinus mission (marked with an L) to be eligible for this upgrade".

The moment it was finished, three more missions popped up within walking distance.

The first one was from Hurk. It was about stealing a monkey idol... in the Himalayas.

And the next mission was about stealing a Blood Ruby from a mine... in the Himalayas. And was hard as gently caress, and probably intended to be completed later in the game.

One chance to guess where the final new mission wanted me to go.

The game loves to constrict what you can and can't do any time there's a mission happening, but it completely fails to suggest a reasonable mission / free roam progression. I know people hate tutorials, but introducing a new activity every few missions would have made sense.

Also, AJ is amazingly goddamned stupid and personality free.

Pretty sure that upgrade is locked behind doing 2 Longinus missions (you can always double-check using the progression screen); the game's smart enough to tick the number down. The blob of Himalaya missions in that area are all DLC, hence the quick and dirty placement and weird difficulty spike.

Not sure what you mean about the mission stuff. There's probably some exceptions to it but generally if you walk into a building and talk to someone via cutscene, you're locked into the mission and should probably go do it. Otherwise you can run around doing whatever with zero restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Tippis posted:

You get something very special that no Far Cry after FC1 provides: a boss fight.

I suppose the other Kalinag-inspired fight is also a boss fight of sorts, but that's still the same game so it doesn't count against that.
Far Cry Primal has boss fights (the four Great Beast Hunts, Fire Screamer/Big Darwa Forts and their respective commanders, as well as the final fights against Batari and Ull) :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xander77 posted:

I just played through a mission from Longinus that sent me into the Himalayas (a separate location you teleport to by E-ing a Sherpa).

Even though it was marked with an L on the map, it apparently didn't count for "seek and complete 1 Longinus mission (marked with an L) to be eligible for this upgrade".

The moment it was finished, three more missions popped up within walking distance.

The first one was from Hurk. It was about stealing a monkey idol... in the Himalayas.

And the next mission was about stealing a Blood Ruby from a mine... in the Himalayas. And was hard as gently caress, and probably intended to be completed later in the game.

The game loves to constrict what you can and can't do any time there's a mission happening, but it completely fails to suggest a reasonable mission / free roam progression. I know people hate tutorials, but introducing a new activity every few missions would have made sense.

welcome to ubisoft, dude

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I really wanted to like PoE, but the 'retro' D2 graphics and massive skill tree kind of turned me off to it

Same. The game caters extremely hard to the hardcore Diablo 2 fans and that just isn't for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's loving awful. Infinite enemy spawns coupled with procedural level generation leads to a grindy and dull if beautiful game.

Basically that sounds like the dev's other game. Repetitive unimaginative gameplay but cool aesthetics. Too bad because its artstyle made me thing it would like Berserk but with good metroidvania.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ulio posted:

Basically that sounds like the dev's other game. Repetitive unimaginative gameplay but cool aesthetics. Too bad because its artstyle made me thing it would like Berserk but with good metroidvania.

There is Hollow Knight, which is basically a cartoonish Berserk but with good Metroidvania. And lots of cute little bugs.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've never heard of The Darkside Detective before it got released today but it seems to be a Blackwell game but more humorous? I guess I'll add it to the pile of point'n'clicks I'll play some day.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

Same. The game caters extremely hard to the hardcore Diablo 2 fans and that just isn't for me.

Victor Vran on the other hand is the ARPG the world needs

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

There is Hollow Knight, which is basically a cartoonish Berserk but with good Metroidvania. And lots of cute little bugs.

Cute? There is no cute in Berserk. But ya I do have Hollow Knight in my wishlist only heard people say good things about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

U.T. Raptor posted:

Far Cry Primal has boss fights (the four Great Beast Hunts, Fire Screamer/Big Darwa Forts and their respective commanders, as well as the final fights against Batari and Ull) :colbert:
Speaking of - I just beat Prey, it is great but the absence of boss fights hurts it. With that, it'd be pretty much a perfect game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ulio posted:

Cute? There is no cute in Berserk. But ya I do have Hollow Knight in my wishlist only heard people say good things about it.

(also yeah Hollow Knight is fantastic)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of - I just beat Prey, it is great but the absence of boss fights hurts it. With that, it'd be pretty much a perfect game.

Eh, I dunno. Like I wouldn't say no to a great boss fight or two in Prey but to be honest the bossfights in, say, System Shock 2 were fairly unmemorable. It's never really been the strong suit of the 0451 "genre" to me, and I feel like I'd honestly rather not have to deal with a mandatory boss fight in what's basically System Shock 3: Filed Serial Numbers Edition.

I haven't gotten through the game yet, but there's the Nightmare which I guess sort of counts? Except so far he's just shown up whenever I've transitioned through loading screen separated areas of the station whereupon I nope the gently caress out and kill time for three minutes until he goes away. I guess he maybe qualifies? But his appearances seem a bit janky, always showing up right where you enter the area (in his first appearance he clipped through the elevator door when I rode down to the lobby) and not giving you a lot of time to react, at least that's been my experience so far.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Begemot posted:

(also yeah Hollow Knight is fantastic)

not pictured: this thing being raped 3 pages later

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

not pictured: this thing everything being raped 3 pages later

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Just go play Primal, it fixes all the problems of 4.

Main dude is fine, because he doesn't have a story to tell and fits the role. He's still pretty lite character wise, but he has more personality then AJ and a better personality then Brody.

Side characters are actually largely great, including the dudes I thought I'd hate. I legitimately liked a lot of the story stuff because the side characters actually felt unique to be around. They stopped going so hard into the "wacky" characters and made dudes that are unique but still fun to be around.

Story stuff stops trying to be fancy, you are cavemen, go loving MURDER the other cavemen. Also the other cavemen might be cannibals and crazy cultists, all the more reason to commit murder.

Pets are fun and help in combat.

Combat feels smoother, even with the focus on melee. The actual initial melee stuff feels a bit off because none of the weapons have much weight initially/break super easily, but by midgame the flow is really good. Throwing bee bombs constantly, using your owl to tear out dudes eyes, throwing flaming spears to terrify the enemy, bringing in bears and poo poo. Once you get the 2handed clubs plus the other flow related stuff the combat feels great, as you are largely just knocking tons of dudes around and messing them up with bees. Or you can just use the rapidfire bow which is pretty much a machinegun anyway.

Shockingly there are only like 2 dream sequences, and both aren't FC3/4 style dream sequences but end up being more like flying/running things instead where you roleplay your owl to learn about owls.

The nighttime stuff is great, especially on survival. You basically can't go out at night because the creatures of the forest are large and view humans as a tasty treat. If you do go out, it's terrifying, but the enemy is also really easy to beat in terms of their outposts.

It cuts all the fat off around the edges of Far Cry and just refines the good stuff. It's no GOTY epic tale or anything, but if you just want to play Far Cry and conquer outposts and murder dudes it's probably the best of the 3.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cowcaster posted:

not pictured: this thing being raped 3 pages later

Such a thing could never happen to the mighty Elfin Hero, Puck.

Anyway, I've been playing Tangledeep lately and it's pretty good, but still needs some balance fixes. The graphics really capture the feeling of 16-bit games better than anything I've ever seen. I love playing as a budoka and punching the poo poo out of monsters.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234270/Ken_Folletts_The_Pillars_of_the_Earth/

Who asked for this?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Somebody with money, who likes that book (of which there are many people, for reasons I've never entirely understood.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You mean asked for three parts of a game. Good luck on that, Ken.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Prey or X-Com 2012?
Never played X-com in any form but played a lot of fallout 1-2. Prey, never played system shock either.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

temple posted:

Prey or X-Com 2012?
Never played X-com in any form but played a lot of fallout 1-2. Prey, never played system shock either.

XCom 1 is real good but if you have the scratch for Prey then you have the scratch for XCom 2, which is EVEN BETTER, and has an expansion coming out in a month!

I really enjoy the XCom series because it requires 0 dexterity, it's purely a tactics and planning (and RNGesus prayers/Accurate Swords mods)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Orv posted:

Somebody with money, who likes that book (of which there are many people, for reasons I've never entirely understood.)

I actually read that bloated book. It is classified as Historical fiction but it is basically soap opera level drama + some historical aspects so even despite its size its very easy to read.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

temple posted:

Prey or X-Com 2012?

I mean they're both good games but if you don't have a particular leaning in any given direction based on previous experiences with similar titles then it depends on whether you're in the mood for A). a turn based small unit tactics game with an emphasis on cover and flanking or B). an atmospheric horror FPS with an emphasis on exploration.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ulio posted:

I actually read that bloated book. It is classified as Historical fiction but it is basically soap opera level drama + some historical aspects so even despite its size its very easy to read.

Yeah I don't understand because I also read it after seeing the miniseries however many years ago that was. It's not very good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

deep dish peat moss posted:

Diablo 3 has fun combat but that's all it has.

PoE is objectively the better game if you want anything more than fun demon punching in your ARPG. It doesn't do the demon punching quite as well as D3 does but there's an actual game wrapped around it instead of being a casual featureless demon-punching simulator.

edit: Also on a subjective note, D3 isn't the best it has ever been: that was right after RoS before they made sets the end-all-be-all. Sets reduced the "viable" builds for each class from 3-6 different ones to one for each class and they never did anything to recover from that. D3 has virtually become top-down 4-player WoW with ARPG controls at this point.
I think I partly agree with this sentiment and partly don't. My friend and I just got back into D3 to play Necro after a several year hiatus and we're having a lot of fun. ButiIn under a week, we've definitely picked up pretty much the items we want (just not necessarily the rolls) but they've added a lot for variety since ROS. Kania's Cube is neat addition because it allows you to take a power from legendary and essentially have it on your char at all times allowing you to also use another legendard which makes for some cool combinations. Set's seem to be the way to go for the most part still though which is kind of a shame because there's some neat legendary powers but fortunately Kanai's cube let you still use those powers. I think it'd be cool if they let you choose a legendary powers for each slot from Kania's cube though. But still there's things like augmenting to ancient and rerolling to get those better stats which is a decent endgame target. We're playing Seasonal so that's nice and it's fun to power through higher rifts with just loot pinatas.

We're probably going to get into PoE after the next patch drops afterwards. One thing I didn't like about PoE is that you're pretty much just using the same 1-2 abilities for the entire game, spamming abilities is cool and good and D3 is just so good at letting you spam a piano set of abilities.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Orv posted:

Yeah I don't understand because I also read it after seeing the miniseries however many years ago that was. It's not very good.

Ya nothing really happens in it so I don't know how a game works. Probably some sort of Telltale style adventure game is only gonna work.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rookersh posted:

It cuts all the fat off around the edges of Far Cry and just refines the good stuff. It's no GOTY epic tale or anything, but if you just want to play Far Cry and conquer outposts and murder dudes it's probably the best of the 3.
B-but... you still get to climb caveman towers to light beacons or something, right? I can no longer imagine a proper FC experience without that very important and rewarding activity.

Anyone who actually played through FC:B - how the hell do I stealth outposts with hunters in them? There are always two of them covering each other, they spot me the moment I try to stealth or if I kill anyone (particularly the other hunter), they charm any animal I try to send in, and they fade from the radar and pop up behind me the moment I try to stealth-murder the places where they are not (I swear those fuckers have super hearing or something)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 29, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xander77 posted:

Anyone who actually played through FC:B - how the hell do I stealth outposts with hunters in them? There are always two of them covering each other, they spot me the moment I try to stealth or if I kill anyone (particularly the other hunter), they charm any animal I try to send in, and they fade from the radar and pop up behind me the moment I try to stealth-murder the places where they are not (I swear those fuckers have super hearing or something)

Bows or long-range silenced sniping when they're not looking. They will have gaps when they're not directly covering each other, and they'll have to react to the corpse like everyone else rather than spot you from seeing the kill. They're also as susceptible to the rock as everyone else.

Funnily enough, citadels are actually easier than regular outposts as far as dealing with hunters, since they always have some sneaky hiding spot that you can get to where you can just take your time and kill them off without them ever having a chance to see you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

B-but... you still get to climb caveman towers to light beacons or something, right? I can no longer imagine a proper FC experience without that very important and rewarding activity.

Get the ability that lets you throw an instakill knife from a takedown, rush up and stab the one and throwing knife the other. Takes a bit of practice to get the timing down and it's not always doable depending on the outpost.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ulio posted:

Ya nothing really happens in it so I don't know how a game works.
Developer: Daedalic Entertainment

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

d3 is fun in short bursts but completely brainless. its one of the very few games that i can fall asleep playing.

it is much better than poe in the variety of monster death animations though.

Play a barbarian and slot all of the movement abilities. No you won't be top tier (but lol why would anyone give a gently caress about that), but more importantly it's fun as fuuuuuck

Just loving jumping all over the place and exploding through huge hordes of enemies by twirling your body at them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

temple posted:

Prey or X-Com 2012?

If it helps you decide: pretty good tactics game that kind of unfairly punishes new players or almost perfect survival horror FPS game where the survival horror part slowly falls away as you unlock skills

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

never played any of there stuff but i am guessing something similar to telltale games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

priceisrighthorn.wav

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
What game does PoE refer too? I thought it was pillars of eternity but it makes zero sense for it to be that given the context.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
There's Pillars of Eternity and Path of Exile and I don't know the difference between them and I never know which one anyone is talking about

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There's Pillars of Eternity and Path of Exile and I don't know the difference between them and I never know which one anyone is talking about

Pillars of eternity: Obsidian infinity engine-like game like the baldurs gate stuff.

Path of Exile: Diablo 2 styled game with a super massive sphere grid.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People usually just say Pillars because Path of Exile came first. :shrug:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Xander77 posted:

I have to ask. Why do you call the game Far Cry: Brotherhood? It's Far Cry 4 without a subtitle. Localization thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a 'joke'.