Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Gorp posted:

People keep saying this and I constantly am baffled.
This is the set that should let most people get top ranked.

probably because some people like certain weapons more than others

for example i hate using all brushes and blasters and am poo poo with the splatling

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

Here are my tips for Turf War:

-At the start of the match, ink a path directly to the center as fast as possible and begin inking it and fighting any enemies who approach the center
--If you get an opening, push into their side and start painting it
--If someone slips by and begins painting your side, FIND HIM AND KILL HIM before he erases too much of your progress
People can't ink when they're dead. Avoiding fights and spending all your time inking is a waste of time that doesn't help at all if just one person on the other side inks faster than you; they'll just negate your progress and then some.

So I've been playing with the Carbon Roller and while I was having good fun last time I played Turf I'm a goddamned boat anchor today.

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/891146260484243456

From what I understand this Roller can't really hang in a fight so I've been concentrating just on inking -- should I just switch weapons or what?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I like using brushes and blasters in other modes I just am not finding them together reliable enough. Splatling has a wind up, blaster is stupidly slow, brush and roller are close range. I guess the issue is they're good until salmon get the jump on your team.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
lol if you think anything matters in turf war except for the last 25 seconds. You could sit perfectly still for a minute and a half and still win if you're a fragger.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tayter Swift posted:

So I've been playing with the Carbon Roller and while I was having good fun last time I played Turf I'm a goddamned boat anchor today.

From what I understand this Roller can't really hang in a fight so I've been concentrating just on inking -- should I just switch weapons or what?

It's an ambush weapon. If you bring it down on someone's head they splat - and you can bring it down very fast. However, it takes a bit of skill and practice to get right. If that's not quite your thing but you like rollers, try the standard Splat Roller or the Krak-on Roller which are quite a bit better as a ranged weapon. They also still give you the melee option if you get a chance to ambush someone and drop it on them.

Bill Barber posted:

lol if you think anything matters in turf war except for the last 25 seconds. You could sit perfectly still for a minute and a half and still win if you're a fragger.

The last half-minute is very critical but the first 2.5 minutes help you get set up for it. If you're boxed in and fighting for the area near your spawn you have to pull off one hell of a trick to win at that point.

Also, having good control over the middle and paying attention to people trying to break past you reduces that chance that THEY will be the ones to pull off a ridiculous last-minute win

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 29, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Gorp posted:

People keep saying this and I constantly am baffled.
This is the set that should let most people get top ranked.

They're fine except for the paintbrush, which doesn't have the ink reservoir to back up its strengths.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tayter Swift posted:

You're right that the carbon roller isn't really meant for a fight. What it's meant for is getting the jump on people so there won't be a fight. Focus on your position and practice getting the flick just right in training mode and have fun jumping out a people and splatting them before they know what's happening.

edit: beaten to this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RuBisCO posted:

God

Help

Me

:same:

I'm so sick of having to claw my way up from C- being the top performing player every round and still losing :(

I'm up to B in turf and rainmaker. Its tower control that I'm stuck in.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

:same:

I'm so sick of having to claw my way up from C- being the top performing player every round and still losing :(

I'm up to B in turf and rainmaker. Its tower control that I'm stuck in.

I finally got out of C- on Rain maker despite doing the same, anyone know if it gets better so I can get B- to play with friends?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

grand theft grotto posted:

You're right that the carbon roller isn't really meant for a fight. What it's meant for is getting the jump on people so there won't be a fight. Focus on your position and practice getting the flick just right in training mode and have fun jumping out a people and splatting them before they know what's happening.

edit: beaten to this

Every roller (paintbrushes included) is this way. The only difference is what ink spread do you want when you roll, and how fast you wanna get carpal tunnel

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't gotten the Dynamo Roller yet but unless they changed it much from the first game it was a ranged weapon that looked like a roller.

Man if the jump-flicks with it aren't like flinging Thor's hammer I'm going to be so disappointed.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't gotten the Dynamo Roller yet but unless they changed it much from the first game it was a ranged weapon that looked like a roller.

Man if the jump-flicks with it aren't like flinging Thor's hammer I'm going to be so disappointed.

i loved dynamo roller back in splatoon 1

haven't unlocked it in 2 but i'm already fuckin miserably upset about the vertical flick on other rollers here so i'm probably going to be just as disappointed when i finally unlock the dynamo

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I like how the weapons in this are all super soakers, paintbrushes, buckets, and also just a P90

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kaubocks posted:

i loved dynamo roller back in splatoon 1

haven't unlocked it in 2 but i'm already fuckin miserably upset about the vertical flick on other rollers here so i'm probably going to be just as disappointed when i finally unlock the dynamo

Once I settled into the game and started doing ranked with friends on voice all I used was the Dynamo Roller. It was essentially the Super Shotgun from Doom except the delay was front-loaded.

I think people overstated how overpowered it was though. It was a lot of effort to use. If someone is good with it it felt like poo poo to be on the other side of, but it took a lot more practice to get that good with it compared to other guns. People who put that kind of time and effort into simpler guns would rock you up and down. I had a rough time in S-ranked games with it against people who were using stuff like the very popular Tentatek Splattershot/Octoshot.

edit: I'm actually okay with the new jump-flicks since they'll let me ink up walls in a much more useful amount of time and the concentrated damage could be fun

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 29, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Once I settled into the game and started doing ranked with friends on voice all I used was the Dynamo Roller. It was essentially the Super Shotgun from Doom except the delay was front-loaded.

I think people overstated how overpowered it was though. It was a lot of effort to use. If someone is good with it it felt like poo poo to be on the other side of, but it took a lot more practice to get that good with it compared to other guns. I had a rough time in S-ranked games with it against people who were using simpler weapons like the very popular Tentatek Splattershot/Octoshot.

depending on when you got into splatoon, dynamo roller got nerfed a couple of times. i fell off it after like the second nerf when they made it so there was a delay before recharging ink when you go into squid form. just made it feel kinda clunky to use.

it was definitely an oppressive weapon but yeah tentatek splattershots were loving everywhere and i don't recall much happening with those

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
I've seen like 10 players with "G&K" in their names during yesterday, and apparently it is a professional Splatoon team?

I mean good for the team to get such a fan following where everyone pretends to be part of them, but come on kids :corsair:

When I hit level 10 i started ranked and holy macarell the queue times seem fly much faster than regular's for some reason

Too bad I like Turf war more, but Splat Zones are a blast

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kaubocks posted:

depending on when you got into splatoon, dynamo roller got nerfed a couple of times. i fell off it after like the second nerf when they made it so there was a delay before recharging ink when you go into squid form. just made it feel kinda clunky to use.

it was definitely an oppressive weapon but yeah tentatek splattershots were loving everywhere and i don't recall much happening with those

I ragequit when they nerfed it for the first time because I was starting to burn out and my performance was already super-borderline against people using other popular weapons.

Though the specials and the lag when playing against Japanese players (which combined to mean you explode to the Inkzookas all those Tentatek users had before you even saw them even pop the special) also helped a lot. Or they just popped Kraken and you exploded even though you were nowhere near them.

Luckily this game already has fixed all of those things, and if the new Dynamo Roller sucks then whatever, I don't have to spend time getting good with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think Salmon Run would really be improved by locking two of the weapon slots to only shooter-types and leaving the others completely random across all categories.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The blaster can't reflect the umbrella's missiles back because the recharge rate is longer than the missile explosion lmao

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seems I'm cursed to never get past 240 in Salmon Run. Got that high again and then lost a few matches to dumb poo poo. Hope I have more time to play tomorrow because this weapon set is great.

LethalGeek posted:

Whomever put the brush in Salmon run can go die in a fire

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think I'm going to skip out on this Salmon Run. That weapon set looks horrendous. :catstare:

Lakbay posted:

These salmon run weapons are painful....

lmao what

This was one of the best sets yet. The brush is so loving good for Salmon Run. It lets you pick up and drop off eggs super fast and escape from so many dangerous situations by charging through the ink. Only real problem is its basically useless against steelheads but you have a blaster and splatling gun on your team. they should be blowing up all the steelheads for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

This was one of the best sets yet. The brush is so loving good for Salmon Run. It lets you pick up and drop off eggs super fast and escape from so many dangerous situations by charging through the ink. Only real problem is its basically useless against steelheads but you have a blaster and splatling gun on your team. they should be blowing up all the steelheads for you.

The pleasure from being the lucky Squid to have a Roller on a Glowfly round has to be borderline sexual. COME AT ME, LITTLE FISHIES! :unsmigghh:.

Also the Splatling and Blaster have their own problems against Steelheads. Blasters don't have the DPS (the bomb'll launch before a second shot), and the windup on the Splatling means you really need to be ready in advance for it. And not actively fighting other Salmonids at the same time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I forgot how absurd of a perk Tenacity was

What's the other equipment with Tenacity, the 3* looks uggo as heck

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/891117152140263424
It's a global Mayo Vs Ketchup Splatfest!

Unless Oceania have their own.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm not one of those people who gets snobby about condiments but I still have a hard time getting fired up about ketchup and mayonnaise :|

edit: I bet they're not even going to make it white versus red, it's probably going to be like yellow versus orange

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

We're in the US group now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rexroom posted:

Why is it not mustard vs ketchup

Who is honestly going to vote for loving mayonaise?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The pleasure from being the lucky Squid to have a Roller on a Glowfly round has to be borderline sexual. COME AT ME, LITTLE FISHIES! :unsmigghh:.

Also the Splatling and Blaster have their own problems against Steelheads. Blasters don't have the DPS (the bomb'll launch before a second shot), and the windup on the Splatling means you really need to be ready in advance for it. And not actively fighting other Salmonids at the same time.

I'm almost certain you can one=cycle steelheads with direct blaster shots. Killing steelheads with the splatling gun is trivial most of the time though. It has enough range that you can usually keep away from any salmonids near it whle blowing it up in one go. Never had issues with them when I had the splatling gun.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 29, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm almost certain you can one=cycle steelheads with direct blaster shots. Killing steelheads with the splatling gun is trivial most of the time though. It has enough range that you can usually keep away from any salmonids near it whle blowing it up in one go. Never had issues with them when I had the splatling gun.

Yeah you can.

Also I take back what I said about the weapons. I played with a few friends, and this weapon set is really good, though each weapon is more specialized in what they can do.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 29, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, the fully upgraded Hero Splattershot just plain trivializes the 2nd boss.

I almost feel sorry for it.

Any tag your favorite Octoboss I guess.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm 1 win away from being Profreshional, I have the blaster gun that is useless in this mode, the round is on the beach, the first boss is steelhead which the blaster gun cannot kill alone. The steelhead stays alive for a minute and we all die. I loving hate pubbies in Salmon Run.
Of course it's just a few posts up that people are saying this is supposed to be possible. gently caress me if I know how. I did 2 direct shots and it didn't die but it sure got that bomb off in my face for my try.

Internet Kraken posted:

I love that they gave Mayo to Pearl too. Switching these would've been the best way to even out the waifu wars.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DaveKap posted:

I'm 1 win away from being Profreshional, I have the blaster gun that is useless in this mode, the round is on the beach, the first boss is steelhead which the blaster gun cannot kill alone. The steelhead stays alive for a minute and we all die. I loving hate pubbies in Salmon Run.
Of course it's just a few posts up that people are saying this is supposed to be possible. gently caress me if I know how. I did 2 direct shots and it didn't die but it sure got that bomb off in my face for my try.

You missed. Remember that blasters have an explosion radius, so if you whiff a shot it might still do a tiny amount of damage with the explosion. Actually landing direct hits does tons though. You should know when you're doing that because you'll hear a different hit sound than the normal one.

The blatser is really good at killing steelheads if you are landing direct hits.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man, the fully upgraded Hero Splattershot just plain trivializes the 2nd boss.

I almost feel sorry for it.

Any tag your favorite Octoboss I guess.

Second boss was the most fun, though its really easy with anything other than the roller. I liked that you actually had to continuously hit him and it wasn't just a matter of waiting for a specific attack that exposed a weak point or something. The shower boss is cool for the same reason but miserable when fought without the charger.

Only boss that really disappointed me was Octostomp.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 29, 2017

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Is there an option to tun off the waiting for players music/warbling nonsense? It was cute but holy poo poo is it starting to get on my nerves.

e: duelies were a mistake

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 29, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

You missed. Remember that blasters have an explosion radius, so if you whiff a shot it might still do a tiny amount of damage with the explosion. Actually landing direct hits does tons though. You should know when you're doing that because you'll hear a different hit sound than the normal one.

The blatser is really good at killing steelheads if you are landing direct hits.
Does it not do max damage if you hit it before the explosion? Maybe I was too close?
Edit: Four games in a row where we died with full eggs on the third round. I'm 1 win away from profreshional (lost one and climbed back up again.) I think the last time I was this frustrated with a game was when I was trying to kill a Nioh boss during beta and I only had like 30 minutes left to do it and get some free item for the full game.
In one of those games I had the paint roller during mothership. I loving wrecked, I love the jump-attack for the roller.
Edit 2: Updated to 4. I wish I was recording this because the last-second losses I'm doing have been clip-worthy they are so close. Latest one? Grillers in round 3 and the last egg we needed was underneath the final griller. Last person alive didn't see it to go grab it and turn in, countdown ended with a loss.

Final Edit: 29/12 final round, Profreshional. Finally. *turns off the loving game*

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 29, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Someone posted to splatnet saying "Mayo is a man's fruit" and I think I'm going to barf.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

japan is def going to vote way more mayo than ketchup so it evens out

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

never mind it's gonna be separate splatfests for each region

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

Is there an option to tun off the waiting for players music/warbling nonsense? It was cute but holy poo poo is it starting to get on my nerves.

e: duelies were a mistake

Don't think so, but you can manipulate it with the controller. Right stick can change speed/pitch, left stick does this low pass/high pass filter thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marina's on the ketchup side MARINA IS STILL THE BETTER ONE

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i consider myself good at shootmans like destiny and battlefield, will i be a good shootmans in this without the pro controller

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

my new dog posted:

i consider myself good at shootmans like destiny and battlefield, will i be a good shootmans in this without the pro controller
Pro controller unnecessary as long as you use the motion controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DaveKap posted:

Pro controller unnecessary as long as you use the motion controls.

Even with motion controls, the Pro controller has (in my opinion, of course) better feeling grips and sticks, plus the real D-pad is nice for games that use it more.

It's definitely not strictly necessary, though.