Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I wouldn't say OG is the clear favorite though despite their major wins (since they only did well at the majors and the other tournaments they didn't so hot). Also reminder that Majors this tournament season were single elim, and they have trouble in double elim. Its gonna be a toss up, but I think Liquid may falter since there is so much information on their playstyle right before TI.

feels like OG have stumbled some in the most recent tournaments they've played, idk if it's patch nerfs or saving strats, or whatever, and all the other direct invites haven't seemed like unstoppable juggernauts at all either. this is gonna be a real wild tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think favorites tend to have a built in disadvantage because IceFrog usually nerfs what the best team is doing. For instance. OG winning a bunch of majors this year produced a patch that makes illusion heroes eat poo poo. Not that they can't still win or anything but the thing they spent a bunch of time learning and perfecting is suddenly out the window.

That is sort of why the TI group stages are always super fun to watch. Everyone has been guessing at the what super secret advantage tactic will be the past few weeks but it won't actually come out until teams throw their ideas at each other in Serious Mode instead of warm up tournaments or scrims or whatnot.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

OG went and got sponsored by Red Bull, loving up my banner image and producing this hellish monstrosity:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Majuju posted:

OG went and got sponsored by Red Bull, loving up my banner image and producing this hellish monstrosity:

good lord

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
hhaahaha notail looks like me after like 15 vodka tonics :discourse:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

hey wait a minute

Majuju fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 28, 2017

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Isn't that just the sleeping dogs logo

E: oh you beat me to it

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Isn't that just the sleeping dogs logo

E: oh you beat me to it

in hindsight I should have checked the filesize

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

TheRat posted:

Werent Newbee almost eliminated in the group stages of TI4, but the wonky structure made them skip ahead to final day through some kind of magic shitstorm?

Yeah they had to play in the weird bubble brackets post-groups/pre-main event. IIRC they were a Bo3 away from not even showing up on main stage, but eventually ended up in the upper bracket. Valve hosed up their reservation and only got 4 days at Key Arena so the scheduling was awful. The upper bracket finals were played early so Newbee were confirmed finalists on Day 2 (instead of the typical Day 5).

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Why's Nahaz greeting about not being at Ti, I only just realized he was a panelist at Ti5, he's had his shot

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Majuju posted:

hey wait a minute

did you PLAN this, did you KNOW??

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Majuju posted:

hey wait a minute

Pack it in folks we have our GOTY

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He loving knew

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Majuju posted:

hey wait a minute

Hotdamn. Pork buns for everyone.

botany posted:

not to distract from JPJ being a complete waste of biological material, but our boy artour is the topic of a piece in rolling stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/dota-2s-arteezy-on-the-hunt-for-big-game-at-the-international-w494565

we big time now

Oh poo poo. Goddamn this article starts strong.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

sugar free jazz posted:

For years, Arteezy read How to be Like Mike: Life Lessons about Basketball’s Best almost every day.

Lol that owns

"Be a psychopath, start fist fights with teammates, constantly berate teammates with hateful, bigoted language, get jealous a celebrity chose a teammate over you for the night because his dick was bigger, take PEDs, and gamble enough that the league forces you to take a two-year "secret" suspension."

Fits DotA players pretty well, imo.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
day9 will be on the ppdcast on sunday

https://twitter.com/Peterpandam/status/891054006025498624

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Newbee were the second best team in China for like 6 months before TI4. Them doing poorly in the group stage was the surprise.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I got my badges in the mail finally. I can't wait to heckle Arteezy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Reality Winner posted:

Newbee were the second best team in China for like 6 months before TI4. Them doing poorly in the group stage was the surprise.

That's what I thought, I just couldn't remember if they were the favorite. Earlier in the year it was DK DK DK but I thought they had already started fading heading into TI. And then Xiao8 unretired and joined Newbee and everyone expected them to make serious waves.

And yes, the structure of the tournament made it so that Newbee knew it was in the grand finals (or was it winner's bracket finals) like two days in advance and got to sit around and do nothing.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 29, 2017

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Who's going to TI so we can get beers?

EG fans preferred :911::canada:

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Wezlar posted:

Sorry friend. I was born a Yaptard, and I'll die a Yaptard.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Wezlar posted:

I got drunk after the GRG won the Calder Cup and I endes up buying an EG cap. I will wear it for the entire week/weekend at TI this year until it feels wrong to do so.

I'm also real excited to tie two badges to my account at KeyArena so I can double my chances to get a non-marketable limited edition platinum bzz Pugna set when SumaiL gets a double rampage on Liquid.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

If they do the first blood items again you can easily earn back the price of your tickets. I ended up with $400 worth of Crimson Witness items last year (and kept them all)

deathrat
May 25, 2010

a witch posted:

If they do the first blood items again you can easily earn back the price of your tickets. I ended up with $400 worth of Crimson Witness items last year (and kept them all)

What's this about? I'm going to the finals this year, never went before

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

deathrat posted:

What's this about? I'm going to the finals this year, never went before

Last year you physically tagged in with your badge every day. For first blood of every game, 500 random people in the arena received a Crimson Witness treasure. The treasures had the same items as the Trove Carafe, but with special red particles, and a gem that tracks first bloods

https://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=crimson+witness.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
i live near seattle but tickets cost too much + hotel would easily be $2k~ for everything.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

succ posted:

i live near seattle but tickets cost too much + hotel would easily be $2k~ for everything.

Bruh, there is a hostel not 3 blocks from the square, so if you plan ahead next year you can bum it cheap, and if you are wise, drive up and stay around SeaTac.

Wait until the semi finals and bust the scalpers balls selling tickets when they are most desperate. You can catch most of the games outside, and when the weather is nice it beats squeezing in with a bunch of sweaty fedora Bros.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

succ posted:

I've got a week pass for sale at face value and someone else had a spare finals pass. If you're in the area just take transit to KeyArena and pack a lunch.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's the safest way to sell an extra ticket for the finals? Not trying to scalp, just looking for face value and shipping costs if needed but ebay seems like an easy ticket to a fraudulent claim

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Dunite posted:

Bruh, there is a hostel not 3 blocks from the square
I don't know about you, but a hostel filled with esports nerds seems like the Worst Thing to me. Remember that many nerd conventions' "survival guides" have to include the tip "shower and change clothes every day".

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

FWIW the crowd last year was mostly fine. The price of tickets + hotel + transportation filters out the worst of the worst.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

a witch posted:

FWIW the crowd last year was mostly fine. The price of tickets + hotel + transportation filters out the worst of the worst.
Doesn't help for BlizzCon, at least, but it's possible that WoW players are just inherently smellier than Dota players (although WoW players are a decreasing proportion of BlizzCon attendees).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The crowds at Valve events are always for the most part fine. The only bad thing I experienced was the last day of the Boston major, the heater was on (it was cold af outside) and they locked the doors. And well game 3 of OG and Ad Finem happened and it tore the roof out of the place so people started going crazy and everyone was a sweaty smelly mess. Still hype as gently caress though

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
https://www.twitch.tv/nalcs2

liquid vs. c9 starting up. really boring so far, but some weird picks.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Reality Winner posted:

???

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Reality Winner posted:

ban this sick filth

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Reality Winner posted:

jeez this is dull as poo poo

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Arteezy will never win a TI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Sphyre posted:

Arteezy will never win a TI.

• Locked thread