Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Not yet! We arrive in Oslo (from somewhere near Brumunddal) from the 7th til the 12th, when we leave for Bergen.

So you're here during the Øya festival. Do you have tickets? Even if not there will be a greater than usual number of concerts around as part of the festival, where you can buy tickets in the door (free if you have a festival pass).

For coffee, there are some great places, a lot of very decent places and few actively bad places.

Most places serve some variety of regular black coffee, and it is usually of good quality as long as the traffic is high enough not to leave it too long in the pot.

Espresso drinks can be had most places as well, but the quality varies quite a bit more.

Some great places:
Supreme Roastworks
One of the original greats. Roasts a bit darker than Wendelboe.

Tim Wendelboe
Oslos most famous shop. Drop by in during the work day, and chances are good that they will be roasting in the shop. Famous for their light roasts, but their cold coffees are also well worth sampling.

Hendrix Ibsen and Solberg og Hansen
Lovely places in a newish food market area that opened a few years ago.

Java
Also one of the old greats. Lovely park across the street.

Fuglen
I love their frappe, and they turn into a very well regarded cocktail bar at night.

Visiting each of these involve less approximately three kilometers of walking, if visited in the listed order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Corla Plankun posted:

How did it die? I'd expect something that expensive to be at least somewhat repairable unless something really horrible happened to it.

Just literally stopped working - electronics still work, but won't start grinding (after I cleaned everything, etc.).

My experience with trying to get specialty products like this repaired after a number of years is that you spend more in shipping, repair costs, etc. than it is worth, when it goes a long way toward just having a new machine.

Also, as I mentioned, I'm underwhelmed with the build quality of the thing, which also factors into not wanting to repair it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of the most refreshing things I saw with Baratza was the whole, "Yeah, we make all our products to be serviced by the user! Nothing hardcore in terms of assembly, so it's easy to take apart and fix yourself if you got some tech know how."

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They're not much cheaper, but I'd go with one of the Capresso TEAM machines over the YouBrew, and I'd take the Technovorm MoccaMaster over either of those.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's very interesting to me, because my wife has complained that our virtuoso takes twice as long as it used to, so she wants a new one...but I was sure we had replaced the burr a year ago.

Did you change the drive gear as well? Mine hade a huge section of the teeth striped out of it, and that was where it would bog right out. The new gear set up is now glass fibre plastic. How long this will last should be interesting.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

One of the most refreshing things I saw with Baratza was the whole, "Yeah, we make all our products to be serviced by the user! Nothing hardcore in terms of assembly, so it's easy to take apart and fix yourself if you got some tech know how."

My Baratza lasted 7 years with multiple uses per day. I imagine this rebuild will last at least as long.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SpannerX posted:

Did you change the drive gear as well? Mine hade a huge section of the teeth striped out of it, and that was where it would bog right out. The new gear set up is now glass fibre plastic. How long this will last should be interesting.

I think I replaced that, and now I'm thinking we didn't get the upgrade burr? Our gear wasn't stripped and wasn't bogging down, just taking twice as long. Can't recall now what parts I got, I need to look that up.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah that serviceability is pretty key. People will ask me "hey can I get a Capresso Infinity instead it's a little cheaper" and you probably could, but you'd lose that A)stellar us-based support and B)parts availability/moddability. Breville's unit is cheap too but say goodbye to that repair policy, especially if out of warranty. We have all the burrs/cuffs/rings here in the shop and people often just come in and get those and fix it themselves.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

The Zojirushi on the early pages is no longer easily available.

What are thoughts on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-EC...72%3A1248915011

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SlyFrog posted:

The Zojirushi on the early pages is no longer easily available.

What are thoughts on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-EC...72%3A1248915011

I just bought mine this week. I'm. Or a snob and just us Dunkin coffee from the store but it's hands down the best drip cup I've had in a very long time. The carafe keeps the coffee plenty hot for 4hours and it won't burn it. I'm really happy with my purchase.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

+1, it's incredible Some goon posted a deal last week where they were 60 bucks with a coupon, and I drat near got another as a backup.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

+1, it's incredible Some goon posted a deal last week where they were 60 bucks with a coupon, and I drat near got another as a backup.

drat it, I assume that's no longer an available deal?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it and see it is long dead.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 25, 2017

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Recently bought a bunch of 2 oz amber vials that i use for predosing my coffee, and I gotta say it's a small but welcome improvement to my morning coffee routine. One less thing to think about, and there's something very satisfying about just opening a vial and dumping the whole thing into my grinder.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So what do we think about this thing?

http://fellowproducts.com/shop/prismo/

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Munkaboo posted:

I'd maybe impulse buy one but shipping to NZ is approx 5x the cost of the drat thing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I want to make a mocha / mocha frappucino at home, should I get this?

I love coffee, I drink it normally quite often (not espresso, mainly Americano with milk in it). Some days, I'll make it with an espresso shot, filled with hot milk (that I have foamed up) and add a teaspoon or two of chocolate powder to make a poor man's mocha. And it's alright. But I want something that tastes as close to Starbucks as possible.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Munkaboo posted:

This thing looks cool based simply on the fact that I hate that coffee always shoots out the sides of my Aeropress.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Q8ee posted:

If I want to make a mocha / mocha frappucino at home, should I get this?

I love coffee, I drink it normally quite often (not espresso, mainly Americano with milk in it). Some days, I'll make it with an espresso shot, filled with hot milk (that I have foamed up) and add a teaspoon or two of chocolate powder to make a poor man's mocha. And it's alright. But I want something that tastes as close to Starbucks as possible.
That's just chocolate flavored sugar water, Starbucks uses proper chocolate syrup like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000WJ9988

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

RichterIX posted:

This thing looks cool based simply on the fact that I hate that coffee always shoots out the sides of my Aeropress.

Yeah I hate that... A cleaner operation of the Aeropress would be awesome.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bizwank posted:

That's just chocolate flavored sugar water, Starbucks uses proper chocolate syrup like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000WJ9988

I know this probably won't mean a thing to you, what with me being an internet stranger and all, but I'm actually super grateful. That stuff looks amazing.

Every mocha I have from here on out, I'll be thinking of bizwank (gently caress, why couldn't you have a normal name?). Some days I'll pour an extra glass in honour of bizwank, depending on how lazy I'm feeling.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
If that stuff's anything like the caramel sauce then you'll be pretty happy with it, we use the caramel sauce at work and I've told at least a few customers that I couldn't find it on Amazon. Good to know I was wrong. I might add that on next time I order something, it's great for just loading a drink with as many calories as possible.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Q8ee posted:

I know this probably won't mean a thing to you, what with me being an internet stranger and all, but I'm actually super grateful. That stuff looks amazing.

Every mocha I have from here on out, I'll be thinking of bizwank (gently caress, why couldn't you have a normal name?). Some days I'll pour an extra glass in honour of bizwank, depending on how lazy I'm feeling.

You can gerund it into Bizwanking if you like.

I don't know if it's as good as what BW suggested, but we carry the DaVinci syrups and they're pretty popular too.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think this is what happens when coffee meets a crack pipe:

http://dailycoffeenews.com/2017/07/26/turkish-space-cowboy-coffee-the-bripe-coffee-brew-pipe-offers-backcountry-shots/

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Thinking of picking up a moka pot before I jump in the deep end of espresso makers, but I'm seeing that I'll likely need to shell out for a good grinder either way. How realistic is getting something good for sub-$200 CDN these days? Not great, right?

By good, I mean something I won't replace for a few years at least and that'll last me through babby's first espresso maker phase.

Moka is not espresso.
It tastes better while being more convenient.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 29, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Thinking of picking up a moka pot before I jump in the deep end of espresso makers, but I'm seeing that I'll likely need to shell out for a good grinder either way. How realistic is getting something good for sub-$200 CDN these days? Not great, right?

By good, I mean something I won't replace for a few years at least and that'll last me through babby's first espresso maker phase.

I had a Moka Pot for years and they were fantastic. That being said, I've also got an Aeropress and from what I can tell (I'm no coffee connoisseur, mind) the quality is the same, but an Aeropress is heaps easier. Only annoyance with the Aeropress is the drat thing empties halfway by the time I finish stirring it, so I gotta top it up and then stick the lid on to prevent it going down until I'm ready.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Q8ee posted:

Only annoyance with the Aeropress is the drat thing empties halfway by the time I finish stirring it, so I gotta top it up and then stick the lid on to prevent it going down until I'm ready.

You might try using a finer grind.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For your aeropress uses, do you guys add water after brewing? 16g coffee and 175ml water makes such a small cup that I usually add another 50g hot water. It's slightly less strong, but still good.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Niyqor posted:

You might try using a finer grind.

Or do inverted.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

nwiniwn posted:

For your aeropress uses, do you guys add water after brewing? 16g coffee and 175ml water makes such a small cup that I usually add another 50g hot water. It's slightly less strong, but still good.

I don't, but I use a lot more water when pushing through the Aeropress.

When I started using the Aeropress a few years ago I went to the World Aeropress Championship site and browsed through some of the recipes. I tried a couple out and ended up settling on a non-inverted one.

My morning starts off with me doing the following.

1. Heat water 185 F.
2. Finely grind 17 grams of beans (I have a Capresso Infinity and have it pointed towards one of the smaller settings in the fine region)
3. Wash the paper filter, fill Aeropress with hot water and let it drip into the mug I'll be pressing into.
4. Dump grinds into non-inverted Aeropress.
5. Add about 40 grams of water, start time and give it some gentle stirs.
6. At 25 seconds, slowly pour in more water till the total water is about 270 grams.
7. Generally, around 50ish seconds, put in the plunger and slowly start pressing down.
8. Finish pushing around 1:30 - 1:40. Don't push all liquid through, I'm stopping right before you'd start hearing air.

The grind I use is fine enough that with that much coffee in the Aeropress there is minimal water flowing through prior to the plunger being inserted. Out of the current recipes this most closely matches Nick Hatch's.

I prefer non-inverted because I find it less error prone. It isn't that inverted is hard but I didn't think it made the result any better and occasionally I'd screw up the flip. Inverted is is what I use if I'm making a half cup (when I'm nearing the end of my bean supply) as with fewer grinds the water flows through too quickly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Inverted method on the Aeropress is amazing. Gonna be what I use from now on. Also, the change from chocolate powder (which was still drat good) to chocolate sauce is unreal. Tastes really drat good now, like an actual mocha.

I haven't made an iced mocha yet, but I know when I do it'll be drat close to the real thing. Close enough that I won't be wanting to go to Starbucks to drop £4 on coffee.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Does anyone have any recommendations on the basics of making a decent iced coffee? I assume it's more complicated than just chunking a cup of hot coffee in the fridge for a day. Should I be using a french press or something else? Is there a type of coffee bean that gives a better flavor for iced coffee? Didn't see it in the OP or mentioned in the past few pages.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

GamingHyena posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on the basics of making a decent iced coffee? I assume it's more complicated than just chunking a cup of hot coffee in the fridge for a day. Should I be using a french press or something else? Is there a type of coffee bean that gives a better flavor for iced coffee? Didn't see it in the OP or mentioned in the past few pages.

https://handground.com/grind/complete-guide-to-japanese-iced-coffee

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yup.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That looks great, but one question.

Some recipes give the water temp to use, while others don't. For the ones that don't, are we looking at a standard 195 degrees or room temperature?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nwiniwn posted:

That looks great, but one question.

Some recipes give the water temp to use, while others don't. For the ones that don't, are we looking at a standard 195 degrees or room temperature?

I would use standard temp. Room temperature wouldn't be hot enough to extract much of anything from the coffee with these brew times.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Does anyone here have experience with roasting in an iron skillet? Or maybe just roasting in general... I bought a few pounds of raw beans and have tried a few batches already and can get it fairly consistent. About as consistent as one can get with a pan anyway.

I'm wondering how long I have to roast to get the beans good and oily? My favorite roasted beans in the past have come from a local roaster who makes them that way - so much so that you can see drops of the oil lining the clear plastic it's cased in. Is it just a matter of letting them roast a bit longer? I may need to just experiment a bit more. I worry that if I leave the heat on them for too long the batch will just wind up getting totally charred. Should I be able to see the beans start to get oily as they roast?

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 30, 2017

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
This thread is definitely where you want to be, there are a couple of professional roasters and a good amount of enthusiasts who have bought roasting machines or modified popcorn makers or made their own roasting setup. Every time someone wants to know how to get cheaper beans this thread recommends buying a heat gun and a dog bowl to roast them yourself.

Check out Sweet Maria's which is a good source for coffee and coffee stuff. This page looks very informative if you want to know how far you can take a roast and when to stop. I thought oil meant it was a fairly dark roast, but I don't know if it's also affected by the heat/length/timing of the roast or something like that but someone here can definitely set you straight.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Heat gun dog bowl method using the HT 775 heat gun. Start up capital cost is around $100 and you make it back in about 6 months compared to if you'd been buying locally roasted beans

http://www.homeroaster.com/heatgun.html

If you really want to use skillet, you can. To get the beans more oily, just roast for longer times.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Some of the oil will show up a while after you've roasted (iirc a few hours later—I never roast that dark so I don't remember exactly), but yeah it really is just a matter of roasting longer. Bring it to 2nd crack and you should be getting some good oil all up on your beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Ah cool. I tried again after reading the responses here and I'll see how it looks tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if I actually made it to second crack because I couldn't find any good examples online of the sound of it. I *think* I did. I definitely heard a few beans cracking maybe five minutes after the first crack simmered down. I was also getting a bit of a sizzling kind of sound in there towards when I stopped.