Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

McSpergin posted:

I have run into two menu b australian ones. Chitoryu, PM me if you want one. Will do you a significantly better price (cost of postage to you). I'm keeping the other for me. Trip report - so far I have only had the chocolate ration and it was basically just cheap shelf fresh chocolate. Not great but not terrible, edible at best

Menu B is as follows:
Braised Beef
Chicken pasta and vegetables
Golden pumpkin soup
Plus the usual stuff

Feel free to PM. We can organise something independently

I've heard tell that when the Americans come over here for training they love our meals so much they go out of their way to trade for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

McSpergin posted:

I have run into two menu b australian ones. Chitoryu, PM me if you want one. Will do you a significantly better price (cost of postage to you). I'm keeping the other for me. Trip report - so far I have only had the chocolate ration and it was basically just cheap shelf fresh chocolate. Not great but not terrible, edible at best

Menu B is as follows:
Braised Beef
Chicken pasta and vegetables
Golden pumpkin soup
Plus the usual stuff

Feel free to PM. We can organise something independently

PM sent!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I was actually considering saving the food for my next camping trip but I think ill just buy a few camping store MRE's closer to the day. I may work my way through my menu b this week but i also now have 55kg of pork to get through

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

McSpergin posted:

I was actually considering saving the food for my next camping trip but I think ill just buy a few camping store MRE's closer to the day. I may work my way through my menu b this week but i also now have 55kg of pork to get through

Why do you have 55kg of pork?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why do you have 55kg of pork?

Because I don't live anywhere near them?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Because I don't live anywhere near them?

Now I'm just confused.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Now I'm just confused.

As in "If I lived near them, I would help them eat all that pork, because I love pork"?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes people with large secondary fridges in their garage or basement obtain a large amount of meat from a single animal.

I'm always very jealous of these people.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Yeh we have a 280L chest freezer in our house that has a few kg left of our half lamb and the majority of the whole pig.

Speaking of I need to get some scales this afternoon so that i can mix up my cures for the bacon I'm making.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I want my deep chest freezer in my fantasy kitchen to be right next to the door so I can just huck heavy stuff in there from the outdoors. I also want that kitchen door to walk right out to my outdoor kitchen / butchery area, which I figure will be a nicely draining concrete pad under an awning, with a stainless steel countertop, outdoor sink, hoses, block and tackle system, propane stove and fans. Oh, and the grill.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One of the things I miss about the US is there's always some friend of a friend who has a deer in a deep freezer somewhere and will happily give you a pile of venison if you ask.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

One of the things I miss about the US is there's always some friend of a friend who has a deer in a deep freezer somewhere and will happily give you a pile of venison if you ask.

If you're not using your deer friends can I have them? I have a severe lack of hunter friends in my life.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

If you're not using your deer friends can I have them? I have a severe lack of hunter friends in my life.

You and me both. You and me both...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the few good things about being a hick is having family members showering you with venison during hunting season.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Randaconda posted:

One of the few good things about being a hick is having family members showering you with venison during hunting season.

My ex-wife's family were largely Williams of the mounds. Nice folks, but still... I miss me some Bambi in my belly something FIERCE!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My fiancee's from a farming family that sells their wares at two local farmers markets. They give us free stuff whenever we go, since they always have multiple freezers full of meat of every kind.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a friend who's family throws bi-annual meat festival parties to clear their freezers of meat. Really good cooks, too. Shredded goose makes good curry.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
In my freezer now (I've never shot a deer in my life):

Deer sausages
Deer and cheddar sausages
Ground deer x2
Deer backstrap
Deer dicks (i.e. slim jim jerky)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I used to work in a medical clinic out in the country and it's amazing what people would bring in to show appreciation for keeping them from not dying.

Fresh eggs
Wild honey
One lady had a huge organic farm and would bring in boxes of veg - (though I never touched those again after the box that was swarming with ticks)
Christmas baking!
First boil maple syrup - we had a Muslim student one time and we offered him a bottle of syrup, but it was all repackaged in old liquor bottles because, country, and he got all flustered about not drinking - his mother loved it.

No one brought in meat per se as it was a little too dear but you'd get good deals from them if you wanted them. One lady grew the most wonderful hams.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have a friend who's family throws bi-annual meat festival parties to clear their freezers of meat. Really good cooks, too. Shredded goose makes good curry.

Goose is a highly underrated meat. Cantonese goose BBQ in Hong Kong was mindblowing. Also geese are assholes so no guilt.

angerbeet posted:

One lady grew the most wonderful hams.

I used to have a ham tree in the backyard. Nothing like going out in a fine crisp morning to pick a couple fresh hams for breakfast.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

angerbeet posted:

One lady grew the most wonderful hams.

Hey! No body shaming!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grand Fromage posted:

Goose is a highly underrated meat. Cantonese goose BBQ in Hong Kong was mindblowing. Also geese are assholes so no guilt.
Goose is good. I guess North Americans supplanted it by using Turkey.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Geese are the one animal I think I'd have trouble eating because the York city geese use the pedestrian crossings when they have babies and it's a bit too human.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Geese are jerks that trample the ducks when you show up at the duck pond because they want food.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are tons of geese all over my town, too stupid to use the crosswalk, they just sort of wander into the street. Like college students.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Geese are assholes. Swans are murderous assholes.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Geese are cool because they think nothing of scaring big dumb dogs.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
One time I rode my bike past a bunch of geese and they got spooked and one of them like flew into a moving car :ohdear:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grand Fromage posted:

Good(ish) news then!

Because of climate change, snow geese populations are exploding. For a Saskatchewan resident now, you have no limit as to how many geese you can take.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

deadly_pudding posted:

One time I rode my bike past a bunch of geese and they got spooked and one of them like flew into a moving car :ohdear:

Paint half a goose silhouette on the side of your bike.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Or don't. All geese are bastards.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

Geese are jerks that trample the ducks when you show up at the duck pond because they want food.

And ducks are necrophiliac rapists? Your point?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Samizdata posted:

I mean, when your species rapes so much that the process of evolution itself steps in...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

frankenfreak posted:

Goose is good. I guess North Americans supplanted it by using Turkey.

That was a mistake. Goose is delicious, and you can save the fat and cook amazing potatoes.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Samizdata posted:

Ducks are also tasty. Somewhat oily, but tasty.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Casull posted:

Ducks are also tasty. Somewhat oily, but tasty.

Agreed.

As far as I know, the only necrophiliac rapist with a penis over half the length of their body I will eat.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

drat I have never caught and butchered anything, but if I lived in an 'all the geese you can handle' area I'd definitely be having some every week.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mllaneza posted:

That was a mistake. Goose is delicious, and you can save the fat and cook amazing potatoes.

This might have been a changing fashion in cooking thing

I think people used to broil geese like turkey today - only goose took much longer, and the meat was much greasier. Turkey might have been easier and smaller, not to mention lighter.

Since we're talking meat while our host eats a chinese MRE and wonders if he was expected to add noodles or something, god, this is a deathmarch of bad meat...

Seal tastes like cow that has been regularly fed fish

amazingly though it might be a extra-healthy meat, as it contains nearly all the nutrients you usually get from plants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've heard penguin is terrible and tastes like really fishy, greasy chicken. Probably no one has done this in decades, though.

• Locked thread