Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Yardbomb posted:

The last episode... before we announce our renewal for 5 new seasons!

Replace Biggest Loser with Fairly Oddparents and you have Nickelodeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first issue of Turf Wars (the Korra graphic novel) is apparently out, has anyone had a chance to look at it yet? And if so, how is it?

Ed: Read it myself, it basically confirms that Korra, Asami and Kya are gay and that's pretty much what the entire issue is about.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 28, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I finally watched a few episodes of Star vs The Forces of Evil, if the laser puppies have hearts for buttholes then what does that say about Star's hearts on her cheek? :thunk:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently what's likely the last episode of Fairly Oddparents will be airing tonight on Nicktoons.

What makes it the last episode? Does Timmy die?

EDIT: Looking it up it just looks like a classic case of a kids show ending with no fanfare. Not like this show deserved it, anyway

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Timmy dies all right

by my hand

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently what's likely the last episode of Fairly Oddparents will be airing tonight on Nicktoons.

"Fancy Schmancy"? That aired back in February, the last episode of Season 10. I think FOP's been done for months now and no one's noticed.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

quote:

EDIT: Looking it up it just looks like a classic case of a kids show ending with no fanfare. Not like this show deserved it, anyway

I don't know. The show feels like it's deserved some sort of closure just by virtue of having like fifty seasons. Hartman owes his career to it and Nick's made a ton of money off of it over the years. You'd think they'd at least have a final wave to the camera or something. Then again this is Nickelodeon we're talking about so I shouldn't be surprised.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ThermoPhysical posted:

"Fancy Schmancy"? That aired back in February, the last episode of Season 10. I think FOP's been done for months now and no one's noticed.

Nick is lousy with airing episodes out of order (though it has been months since the last of the episodes aired outside of America)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The original series ends only for it to be replaced by a new series starring Drake Bell as adult manchild Timmy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Fairly Oddparents: The Next Generation

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

readingatwork posted:

I don't know. The show feels like it's deserved some sort of closure just by virtue of having like fifty seasons. Hartman owes his career to it and Nick's made a ton of money off of it over the years. You'd think they'd at least have a final wave to the camera or something. Then again this is Nickelodeon we're talking about so I shouldn't be surprised.

While it is Hartman's most successful show, truthfully he owes his career more to Johnny Bravo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Johnny Bravo is a kinda odd show.

The Scooby Doo crossover episode had him fit scarily well into the Scooby Gang dynamic. He's one of those characters you could drop into practically any setting and it's not hard to imagine how he'd fit and what he'd do. Like Hank Hill.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Johnny Bravo is a kinda odd show.

The Scooby Doo crossover episode had him fit scarily well into the Scooby Gang dynamic. He's one of those characters you could drop into practically any setting and it's not hard to imagine how he'd fit and what he'd do. Like Hank Hill.

Yep

https://rjdrawsstuff.tumblr.com/post/162639035846/a-bunch-of-samurai-jackjohnny-bravo-commissions

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

June Foray passed away at age 99. Had a great long life and brought so many great characters to life as well. Granny, Rocky, Magica DeSpell, just to name a few.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

June Foray passed away at age 99. Had a great long life and brought so many great characters to life as well. Granny, Rocky, Magica DeSpell, just to name a few.

My favorite June Foray thing is that she provided the voice of the old Chatty Cathy dolls and then when The Twilight Zone did the episode about the evil Talky Tina doll trying to kill the dad she did the voice for that too.

She was on an episode of Rob Paulsen's voice acting podcast, she was completely lucid and still working as recently as 2013 when she was in the Ducktales game. I think any of us would be lucky to end up like that.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Inescapable Duck posted:

He's one of those characters you could drop into practically any setting and it's not hard to imagine how he'd fit and what he'd do. Like Hank Hill.

Case in point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey guys, did you know that in the third live action Fairly Oddparents movie that Timmy falls into lava and dies and resurrects as a fairy, and he looks like the cartoon version of Timmy instead of Drake Bell? Well see ya

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The perfect karma for all the poo poo Timmy pulls would be to have to serve as a fairy godparent for the rest of eternity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Hey guys, did you know that in the third live action Fairly Oddparents movie that Timmy falls into lava and dies and resurrects as a fairy, and he looks like the cartoon version of Timmy instead of Drake Bell? Well see ya

It's so sad that I thought this was legit.

edit: holy poo poo it is. I feel dumber for having read the wiki synopsis of that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Larryb posted:

The first issue of Turf Wars (the Korra graphic novel) is apparently out, has anyone had a chance to look at it yet? And if so, how is it?

Ed: Read it myself, it basically confirms that Korra, Asami and Kya are gay and that's pretty much what the entire issue is about.

That feel like pandering, but whatever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

That feel like pandering, but whatever.

Well the writers have already said as much in interviews (plus there was the whole thing with Korra's ending) but this is the first time it's actually been confirmed in-series. But yeah, making it almost the whole focus of the issue still kind of feels like pandering.

The main plot of the comic seems to be about rising tensions between humans and spirits but it's not touched on much here (have they said how many issues Turf Wars is going to run for yet?). Hopefully things will pick up though.

Still nice to get something Avatar related again even if there's little to no hope of us getting another TV series anytime soon (especially considering how much of a nightmare Korra's production ended up being).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 28, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Guy Mann posted:

Replace Biggest Loser with Fairly Oddparents and you have Nickelodeon.

Or replace it with Teen Titans Go and youve got Cartoon Network.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There's no way that's real

I've seen Cartoon Network's lovely schedules before but

There's no way that's loving real

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I could believe it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

I could believe it.

No the real schedule has much more TTG.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's the giant list of "Shows Not Airing This Week" that's vastly longer than the shows that are airing this week that I can't believe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Megamind just dumped in there at the end. At least they picked a good movie to interrupt their endless marathon. Also at this point they should just replace "Last Seen" with a graphic of a milk carton with "Have you seen this show? Please call 555-LOST-TOON if you have."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sockser posted:

There's no way that's real

I've seen Cartoon Network's lovely schedules before but

There's no way that's loving real

The worst part is that I bet the reason for this is because their regular viewership is likely irrelevant when compared to their web and app viewership so they just fill the air with either premiers or things they've seen do well in that slot all of that happens to be TTG

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TwoPair posted:

It's so sad that I thought this was legit.

edit: holy poo poo it is. I feel dumber for having read the wiki synopsis of that.

I thought you were joking. I looked it up. What the complete and utter hell.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

My favorite June Foray thing is that she provided the voice of the old Chatty Cathy dolls and then when The Twilight Zone did the episode about the evil Talky Tina doll trying to kill the dad she did the voice for that too.

Did she also do the voice in the Geico parody commercial?

She also dubbed over the voice of the little girl in the TZ episode where their swimming pool transports kids to some magical land away from their lovely parents.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So it looks like episodes of Welcome to the Wayne are coming out at a pretty quick pace so I went ahead and gave it the old 3 episode test.

It's not terrible. Pretty much the definition of a C+ show. It's basically a poor man's Gravity Falls but lacking Hirsch's unique sense of humor and Disney's animation resources. On the plus side though the characters are likeable enough to be engaging and unlike GF I doubt we'll be waiting six months between episodes. Also, the most recent episode had Master Shake as a goony kid vampire hunter and Carl as a guy in the vents. So that was pretty fun.

So yeah, worth giving a shot I think. It won't blow your mind but I can see it developing into something fun down the line.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I watched the second episode, but now Google Play has removed the third episode and replaced it with the fourth? Why is streaming still such a pile of nonsense?

Anyway, aside from the humor being a bit too random, the main thing hurting it is that the animation, although full of expressive characters and neat-looking locations, is kind of static and has no pace? It's like every time a new event happens, everything pauses for a bit because they don't have storyboarders who can make two things happen at once, so every time something happens to the kids while they're being chased, the pursuer pauses for a bit because they can't act simultaneously.

The overarching mystery at least has some pretty pieces so far, and the acting is good.

I also like that the main character is some kind of Middle Eastern. What sort of name is Ansi Molina, Arabic or Indian?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I watched the second episode, but now Google Play has removed the third episode and replaced it with the fourth? Why is streaming still such a pile of nonsense?

Anyway, aside from the humor being a bit too random, the main thing hurting it is that the animation, although full of expressive characters and neat-looking locations, is kind of static and has no pace? It's like every time a new event happens, everything pauses for a bit because they don't have storyboarders who can make two things happen at once, so every time something happens to the kids while they're being chased, the pursuer pauses for a bit because they can't act simultaneously.

The overarching mystery at least has some pretty pieces so far, and the acting is good.

I also like that the main character is some kind of Middle Eastern. What sort of name is Ansi Molina, Arabic or Indian?

Molina is a Spanish surname

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Speaking of Molina, Penn Zero ended on a somewhat too clear-cut note I guess? Although, points for being the first recent series I can think of who did the body-switch story and linking the voice to the body, not the mind. I think my favorite character was Larry, does anyone know if Larry Wilmore has done any other voice work? I love that guy's voice.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
The brother in Welcome to the Wayne, feels like an attempt for a very, very PG Gene Belcher.

The show, feels pretty.. safe? It doesn't push dangerous situations all that much.

Gravity Falls opened with the kids getting chased by a giant monster (later revealed to be gnomes) but they were scared. It felt like a dangerous situation, that turned into a silly one. But, it lacks tension.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The worst part is that I bet the reason for this is because their regular viewership is likely irrelevant when compared to their web and app viewership so they just fill the air with either premiers or things they've seen do well in that slot all of that happens to be TTG

The real reason is the guy in charge of CN's scheduling department is a lazy moron(he used to be in charge of CN India and Asia's scheduling and pulled the same bullcrap there)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still remember the week where they had not only an entire day of Ben 10 at a point where four episodes had aired, but a weekend entirely made up of Cloudy, and they had to backpedal on those so hard.

How is this dude not fired yet?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Your new favourite show"™️

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
:lol: if you think one guy in an entire corporation has the sole power to layout a channel's schedule to whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

:lol: if you think one guy in an entire corporation has the sole power to layout a channel's schedule to whatever they want.

Maybe not sole power, but he is head of scheduling so he gets the most blame, especially since we're talking about the day to day schedule and not just special occasions