Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How is it even possible that it won't be streamed? What are they thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Subjunctive posted:

Don't look at the man behind the curtain.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Probably delaying the launch again.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Nah, it's just changed rules for SIGGRAPH.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sinestro posted:

Nah, it's just changed rules for SIGGRAPH.

AMDs Capsaicin event isn't actually being held inside SIGGRAPH, they're hosting it at a separate private venue nearby. They could stream if they wanted to.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Suddenly, a holocube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twkZz5WyVJs&t=129s

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do you think of an 8 core TR?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

PerrineClostermann posted:

What do you think of an 8 core TR?

If it still has all those PCIe lanes, someone would want it. Cryptocurrency miners, for a start.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

If it still has all those PCIe lanes, someone would want it. Cryptocurrency miners, for a start.

Miners arent gonna spend so much on motherboards and cpus. They use something like this

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

is it really that difficult and expensive to set up a room mic that picks up enough crowd noise to make your presentation not seem like a sad affair with 11 excited people at it

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

is it really that difficult and expensive to set up a room mic that picks up enough crowd noise to make your presentation not seem like a sad affair with 11 excited people at it

They seemed more pumped over threadripper then vega, the crowd knows what to hype.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
On AMD's own facebook page

I'm dying, this is loving absurd.

eames
May 9, 2009

I quite like the thermal layout of alienware's threadripper pc, good vrm cooling despite the all-in-one loop:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Shame that machine is so fugly......... Otherwise I might just have bought it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

what the gently caress is that bottom right fan doing? the case is solid
i guess it's drawing air from the vent above but... why not make the case vented

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

what the gently caress is that bottom right fan doing? the case is solid
i guess it's drawing air from the vent above but... why not make the case vented

It's pretty obviously ducted in from the bottom part of the front intake.

EDIT: Damnit, beaten by your edit.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
What is this, the official Brotherhood of NOD computer?

That being said, I want one, but I suspect the hardware would fare poorly if I decided to puke in it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

That's p great

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So if you can swing it, 4000Mhz DDR4 is the best memory for these systems?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Now that you mention it, AMD and Dell definitely missed the boat on by not plastering CABALs face on the side in all it's poorly rendered early 2000s glory.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

That being said, I want one, but I suspect the hardware would fare poorly if I decided to puke in it.

How... how often do you puke on your computer?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's great that they payed Linus to do that considering how he's made fun of vega every week in the WAN show and said their FE review was going to be extremely unkind. I wonder if they sat on that review cause of this, ha.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

How... how often do you puke on your computer?

That's probably not a question you want answered.

On another hand, https://www.techpowerup.com/235571/amd-ryzen-threadripper-delidded-its-epyc

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

FaustianQ posted:

Amazing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Please say AMD posted that on Facebook?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X price leaked

$549 for the 8C/16T part.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Please say AMD posted that on Facebook?

Yes, gently caress I think they made it themselves.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo amd

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I am intrigued! $50 more than an R7 1800X and slightly higher base clock plus way more pcie lanes..

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:eyepop: I know what I'm buying!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:captainpop:

50-100 plus 150 for the motherboard ain't bad for 4 channels and 44-48 more pcie lanes

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

...no, no, I call bullshit. There is *no* goddamn way they are pricing TR _THAT_ loving low! Goddamnit, AMD, what happened to not leaving money on the table anymore!? You don't have to do that in order to make Intel hurt anymore, your product is-

*noise of disgust*

Fine. Is that the bottom end of the stack? Are we only getting three variants of TR?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fine. Is that the bottom end of the stack? Are we only getting three variants of TR?

Supposedly there's a non-X version of each SKU coming as well, so no. There will be an even cheaper 1900 non-X.

https://videocardz.com/71319/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1900-1900x-1920-and-1950-spotted

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

repiv posted:

Supposedly there's a non-X version of each SKU coming as well, so no. There will be an even cheaper 1900 non-X.

https://videocardz.com/71319/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1900-1900x-1920-and-1950-spotted

:fap:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Gamers Nexus has a video giving a quick overview of some of the X399 boards that will be available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oglSj9dUoSo

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...no, no, I call bullshit. There is *no* goddamn way they are pricing TR _THAT_ loving low! Goddamnit, AMD, what happened to not leaving money on the table anymore!? You don't have to do that in order to make Intel hurt anymore, your product is-

*noise of disgust*

Maybe they do though? Intel has flubbed SKL-X in the face of regular Ryzen, maybe Lisa just wants to keep putting more banana peels under Intel's feet and see what they do with this happening.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
And dont amd need to build mind share more then anything atm? After 10 years of been lol amd cpu, you need a big hook to make people go gently caress whats this

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do you do to break Intel's hold, anyway? Not much, as far as I can see.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm surprised they're launching the 8C/16T version so early. A shame that the current Zen architecture still hits a wall at ~4.1-4.2 GHz because X399 is going to be crazy good for overclocking these relatively low core count CPUs. Huge heatsinks, a lot of room between dies, beefy VRMs.

Can't wait to see how double the cache and two extra memory channels perform in benchmarks compared to the 1800X.

Scarecow posted:

And dont amd need to build mind share more then anything atm? After 10 years of been lol amd cpu, you need a big hook to make people go gently caress whats this

Yes but I'd argue that big hook is X299/KBL-X/SL-X :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Really interested to see the 8threaded chip benched. Be interesting to see how it runs with so much memory bandwidth.

Efb