Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bloody ghost titty posted:

The way that vegetables and proteins cook are different, so I wouldn't recommend it- the fish is likely to not cook through. If you're time sensitive, maybe pan roast the fish-high heat, plenty of oil to keep it from sticking, finished in the oven to cook through, or do the asparagus in a pan and trout in the oven?

I'm not pressed on time. I'm just worried that either way one of them is just gonna be chilling for 15 minutes and will be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Tent one of them with tin foil while the other cooks, you'd be surprised how well it works.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm not pressed on time. I'm just worried that either way one of them is just gonna be chilling for 15 minutes and will be cool.

Some ovens have a drawer to keep things warm (common in most stand alone oven/stoves), or a broiler/grill section in wall ovens at least that stays warm while the oven is on.
Do the asparagus first, drop temp, do the fish. Either use the drawer/separate broiler if you have one, otherwise cover in foil on the bench and then if it's got too cold, chuck it back in the oven for 2-3min while the fish is being plated.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 24, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How can I cook multiple things with one oven? So, I want to make roasted asparagus which calls for 15 minutes @ 425 and baked trout which is 15-20 minutes @ 350. Do I just put the trout in for like, 8 minutes?

whole trout or fillets? I'd honestly just throw it in with the asparagus. it just might be a bit more brown than the recipe intended but that's not really a bad thing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
How big is this fuckin trout? 20 minutes? Is it whole?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of ovens, my gas oven is worse then ever. If you don't hover over it with an IR thermometer gun, constantly adjusting the knob, nothing bakes right.

It's almost like the temperature control has a built in random number generator.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had a really good oxtail ragu that had a quality to its sauce that wasn't like anything I've had before in tomato sauce. From what I can tell, apart from the usual herbs, garlic, and sofrito base, ragu uses red wine or something like that. I wonder if I can replicate that flavor by cooking some red wine and incorporating it into some jarred tomato sauce. Or does that seem inadvisable?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

Speaking of ovens, my gas oven is worse then ever. If you don't hover over it with an IR thermometer gun, constantly adjusting the knob, nothing bakes right.

It's almost like the temperature control has a built in random number generator.

My roommate's lady is a constant baker, which is great because it depletes many of my centuries old liqueurs from consulting projects. The bad news is she's alerted me to the fact that the oven simply doesn't bake so good, with a similar temperature variability. I'm amazing I made so many great Friendsgiving Turkeys in there over the years without setting fire to the world.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Pollyanna posted:

I had a really good oxtail ragu that had a quality to its sauce that wasn't like anything I've had before in tomato sauce. From what I can tell, apart from the usual herbs, garlic, and sofrito base, ragu uses red wine or something like that. I wonder if I can replicate that flavor by cooking some red wine and incorporating it into some jarred tomato sauce. Or does that seem inadvisable?

You could add red wine to a jarred sauce and then reduce it to your desired consistency, but part of adding the wine during the cooking process is that ethanol is a non-polar solvent as well as something that boils at a lower temperature than water, so it volatilizes things to which it's bonded without boiling.

Short answer is do it the long way.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you can spare the warm-up time, a pizza stone / steel / extra cast-iron pan in the bottom of your oven might help to smooth out the fluctuations.

I mean if the thermostat is shot, that sucks, but it may just be fluctuating between +- 25°F from the target. If it's consistently high or low you can calibrate it too, for my GE oven you just hold both the broil + bake buttons for a few seconds then +/- as needed.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just a filet. Normally I think I'd just throw it in at 425 and watch it but because it's wrapped in foil I can't.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bloody ghost titty posted:

You could add red wine to a jarred sauce and then reduce it to your desired consistency, but part of adding the wine during the cooking process is that ethanol is a non-polar solvent as well as something that boils at a lower temperature than water, so it volatilizes things to which it's bonded without boiling.

Short answer is do it the long way.

Aw, okay. Making tomato sauce from scratch is a pain, but hey, I gotta use up this hind shank...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

pr0k posted:

How big is this fuckin trout? 20 minutes? Is it whole?

I love how ridiculously belligerent this post is... it's jabbing me in the chest while I read it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

I love how ridiculously belligerent this post is... it's jabbing me in the chest while I read it.

post is normal

you're the belligerent one

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
someone should probably make some fancy water or something where if you have aspergers it tastes like poop but otherwise it tastes maybe like mints so folks can know when they're on the spectrum

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'll make YOU some fancy water alright.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Big Beef City posted:

I'll make YOU some fancy water alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HXNZ5ORI7Q

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mindphlux posted:

someone should probably make some fancy water or something where if you have aspergers it tastes like poop but otherwise it tastes maybe like mints so folks can know when they're on the spectrum

Why would you put homeopathic poop in all the water phlux. Watch Tiny Kitchen instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fDfc6eTk4M&hd=1

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Why would you put homeopathic poop in all the water phlux. Watch Tiny Kitchen instead.

Going to show this to my 1.5 year old, no more excuses about just "pretending" to cook :colbert:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Manuel Calavera posted:

Call me when there's Tiny Hamsters enjoying the Tiny Food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKExB9gE0k

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Manuel Calavera posted:

Watch Tiny Kitchen instead.

ok that is remarkable

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The last several times I've been at Ikea, I've picked up this mixed grain in a bag type thing. It's very good, flavoured with mushrooms and thyme. However, it's a long way to Ikea, and I figure I can make this stuff at home, but I'm not totally sure how. A big part of the enjoyment is that it's super convenient - boil for one minute, let sit covered for ten, and it's done. So they must be using parboiled grains, yes? The list is oats, wheat, barley, and rye. I can do bulgar for the wheat I suppose, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I plan to get what I need and just make a big tub of this (to keep next to my rice tub) to scoop out of when I want a fast dinner.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Manuel Calavera posted:

That was fairly charming.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's plenty more. That's just the latest one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

0_0

oh internet

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
They do an impressive amount of tiny deep frying.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Suspect Bucket posted:

They do an impressive amount of tiny deep frying.

needed more tiny oil boiling over / tiny grease frying / tiny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UxVvE3VRkI

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mindphlux posted:

This sounds like an idea.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mindphlux posted:

I think hops are good for this above a certain minimum.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The last several times I've been at Ikea, I've picked up this mixed grain in a bag type thing. It's very good, flavoured with mushrooms and thyme. However, it's a long way to Ikea, and I figure I can make this stuff at home, but I'm not totally sure how. A big part of the enjoyment is that it's super convenient - boil for one minute, let sit covered for ten, and it's done. So they must be using parboiled grains, yes? The list is oats, wheat, barley, and rye. I can do bulgar for the wheat I suppose, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I plan to get what I need and just make a big tub of this (to keep next to my rice tub) to scoop out of when I want a fast dinner.

Isn't it just pearl wheat, barley etc? Dried mushrooms and thyme?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

That Works posted:

Basically beer? The beer shall tell us if they have asbergers? Is there a difference on self-diagnosed beer-rear end-burgers and plain old asbergers?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Stein

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Could be! I'm fairly spergy, and I don't care for hops. The Mrs loves those super stinky IPAs, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Happy Hat posted:

Basically beer? The beer shall tell us if they have asbergers? Is there a difference on self-diagnosed beer-rear end-burgers and plain old asbergers?

Nah more the trend of beer "enthusiasts" to put as many hops as possible in beers ruining things like a decent IPA.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Asbeergers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anyone want 10 years' worth of Martha Stewart Living? My friend doesn't have room in her house for these anymore

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 30, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For this week's utter stupidity, I'm gonna try and completely bullshit a chicken korma. From what I can tell, I need to braise chicken thigh in fried/caramelized onions, stock, and yogurt/coconut milk spiced with <insert every spice I have here>, then incorporate some cashews (whole? crushed? I'll find out). I can play that by ear, right? :downs:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 30, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

For this week's utter stupidity, I'm gonna try and completely bullshit a chicken korma. From what I can tell, I need to braise chicken thigh in fried/caramelized onions, stock, and yogurt/coconut milk spiced with <insert every spice I have here>, then incorporate some cashews (whole? crushed? I'll find out). I can play that by ear, right? :downs:

Wow, you really do this in every thread you post in, don't you?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That Works posted:

haha gently caress

actual truth

the peatiness of scotch as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mindphlux posted:

haha gently caress

actual truth

the peatiness of scotch as well

Ah yeah that's a good one as well although I am a bit biased as I strongly prefer the lesser-peated scotch varieties.