Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that's amazing, now I want to do work poo poo over the weekend :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i had some unironic gentoo fanatic try to cry at me how systemd is terrible garbage and how sysvinit, openrc, and upstart are all undeniably better than it :laffo:

gentoo with systemd is fantastic, highly recommend

get that openrc trash out of profile/packages

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tankakern posted:

gentoo ... is fantastic

lol no

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

from what I remember about working with gentoo in rhe distant past, it's pretty cool and good for learning how to build your own distro (sort of) and really get in the muck with how things work

but now I have other stuff to do with my life so I'll stick with redhat and debian, thanks

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

code:
$ eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/amd64/13.0
  [2]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
  [3]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
  [4]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
  [5]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
  [6]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma
  [7]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
  [8]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
  [9]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib
  [10]  default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd *
  [11]  default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32
  [12]  hardened/linux/amd64
  [13]  hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
  [14]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
  [15]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
  [16]  hardened/linux/amd64/x32
  [17]  hardened/linux/musl/amd64
  [18]  hardened/linux/musl/amd64/x32
  [19]  default/linux/uclibc/amd64
  [20]  hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

what is that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
probably system build templates for gentoo or something

does it still take literally a week for gentoo to build and install?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's a list over what system profiles you have available on x86-64 on gentoo.

my point was showing what's available, and to show that systemd's there, on several profiles.

and no, we're not in the age of pentium III anymore, so it does not take literally a week. you can think on it like.. a full blown kde install with > 1000 packages might take about 24 hours.

the packages ruining the compile time stats are: libreoffice, chromium, and anything that's bundling/building webkit. chromium is by far the worst, there's like over 27000 files to compile (not an exaggeration) before you get your shiny web browser.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember running make world on a 486 running freebsd at a time when it was popular for people to run 486es as routers to share connections

it was still building a week later

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
how long for just chromium?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Truga posted:

probably system build templates for gentoo or something

does it still take literally a week for gentoo to build and install?

thanks!

Tankakern posted:

it's a list over what system profiles you have available on x86-64 on gentoo.

my point was showing what's available, and to show that systemd's there, on several profiles.

and no, we're not in the age of pentium III anymore, so it does not take literally a week. you can think on it like.. a full blown kde install with > 1000 packages might take about 24 hours.

the packages ruining the compile time stats are: libreoffice, chromium, and anything that's bundling/building webkit. chromium is by far the worst, there's like over 27000 files to compile (not an exaggeration) before you get your shiny web browser.

oh

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

every time i want to see what's new in chromium, i leave it overnight if i'm not on a skylake or something. trying it on a carrizo amd apu now, think it's been over 6 hours and it's still not done

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

why wouldn't you just download a binary like a normal human being

what does compiling it yourself get you other than hastening global warming

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

This Issue from the specification for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap offers us a pretty big clue:

code:
    5. Should users be required to re-bind the drawable to a texture after
    the drawable has been rendered to?

It is difficult to define what the contents of the texture would be if
    we don't require this.  Also, requiring this would allow implementations
    to perform an implicit copy at this point if they could not support
    texturing directly out of renderable memory.
If the compositing manager does not make any X round-trips but simply binds using TFP, renders, and glXSwapBuffers, then it will still work. Think about these two hints for a bit :)

let me see if i'm picking this up correctly

in a composite-enabled x11 server with the nvidia driver, the "off-screen" storage for composite's "window hierarchies" is gonna be textures

so every time the screen is drawn on at all, it's gonna use the glx tfp extension to turn those textures into a drawable and immediately render it to the screen... and that stuff can never be read back. it's a write only medium

bear in mind i am not a graphics dude, i'm just curious about who broke what and why

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BobHoward posted:

if you have your compile flags set up right, then the system will run faster than generic pre-compiled binaries

not enough faster to ever make up for the compile time you have to invest, but faster

https://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RFC2324 posted:

if you have your compile flags set up right

this is the impossible condition

it's not like linux distributors choose the wrong flags on purpose. often the flags they chose are already the best choice, and you will eke out nothing more.

other times you will manage to get some subset of the system to compile with -Os -fomit-frame-pointer --gently caress-safety and it works except for a feature you didn't test

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

it gets you absolutely nothing useful

some people jack off to the idea that they can disable PAM system-wide by changing a config file and re-compiling the entire system

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

if you have your compile flags set up right, then the system will run faster than generic pre-compiled binaries

not enough faster to ever make up for the compile time you have to invest, but faster

compile while you sleep

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the impossible condition

it's not like linux distributors choose the wrong flags on purpose. often the flags they chose are already the best choice, and you will eke out nothing more.

other times you will manage to get some subset of the system to compile with -Os -fomit-frame-pointer --gently caress-safety and it works except for a feature you didn't test

the distros compile generic flags that should be universally compatible, but if *I* set the flags that are best for *my* specific machine it will run much faster!!! :v:

the reality is that any gains you get are so marginal that you will never recover the time lost to compiling, and the only use gentoo has is teaching you to copy arcane commands from a wiki, and how to read logs so you can get directed to the right wiki page

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let me see if i'm picking this up correctly

in a composite-enabled x11 server with the nvidia driver, the "off-screen" storage for composite's "window hierarchies" is gonna be textures

so every time the screen is drawn on at all, it's gonna use the glx tfp extension to turn those textures into a drawable and immediately render it to the screen... and that stuff can never be read back. it's a write only medium

bear in mind i am not a graphics dude, i'm just curious about who broke what and why

There's off-screen storage, but it's managed through the magic of the NVIDIA libGL.so (and kernel, I imagine) driver. Usually, the flow looks like this:

1. XCompositeRedirectWindow (turn it off screen)
2. XCompositeNameWindowPixmap (get the backing pixmap for the window)
3. User sends SIGSTOP

Now, once per frame:
4. glXBindTexImageEXT to turn the backing pixmap into a GL texture
5. glDrawElements to texture the texture
6. glXSwapBuffers

Assuming that the client rendering isn't using X11 to draw at all (e.g. override-redirect glxgears) I'm saying that this will continue to work. glxgears renders into an off-screen renderable, unclipped texture, and the CM can rebind and redraw the updated window contents without needing the X server's involvement at all.

This also assumes we are rebinding every frame and not using Damage to track when to rebind a window. xcompmgr is stupid and doesn't use Damage IIRC.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

i take issue with the idea that the bolded is even true in the first place

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

i take issue with the idea that the bolded is even true in the first place

well, if the flags were wrong to start with, sure the system will run faster. for example it is usually a bad idea to tell gcc to emit code optimized for an i386.

good thing nobody is doing that on their binary packages.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's not just about the processor-specific optimizations, it's also that you're given the tools to micromanage your system, by the magic of use flags.

gentoo is a kind of meta-distribution, you can mend it to any form you like. but you have to like doing such mending to get any out of it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://ring.cx/en/news ??

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wish people would stop addressing stallman as dr (or at all)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

wish people would stop addressing stallman as dr (or at all)

gnu dr.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

red hat just signed the death warrant for butterfs

quote:

The Btrfs file system has been in Technology Preview state since the initial release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Red Hat will not be moving Btrfs to a fully supported feature and it will be removed in a future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

The Btrfs file system did receive numerous updates from the upstream in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 and will remain available in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 series. However, this is the last planned update to this feature.

Red Hat will continue to invest in future technologies to address the use cases of our customers, specifically those related to snapshots, compression, NVRAM, and ease of use. We encourage feedback through your Red Hat representative on features and requirements you have for file systems and storage technology.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
good, brtfs sucks

sorry lennart

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cool linux stuck on ext until the heat death of the universe

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

Redhat defaults to XFS

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when i think cutting edge i definitely think of a 20 year old filesystem made by a defunct corporation that cant take snapshots

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hfs made it through 32 years. one of those areas where pragmatism certainly rules, don't mess with stuff that works without very good reason, and btrfs just needs the murder to fulfill the reiser4 pattern of simply never stabilizing quicker than it is further complicated

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes but now osx will have apfs which is the worlds most advanced desktop filesystem

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pram posted:

yes but now osx will have apfs which is the worlds most advanced desktop filesystem

unironically true

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

Probably launching their own new FS, especially after recently buying Permabit.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Found out that a service cannot talk to mysql, so I shelled into it to debug it

running ubuntu 16.04.1, with the 4.4.0-67 kernel
apt-get is complaining that it cannot rename files because there is no free space
the target directory is the root device with 27G total space, 11G used, 17G free
the root user can create a 64MB file on that device with no issues

what's the issue?

btrfs

I thought I changed it to ext4 but I guess I gave it a second chance. Not anymore.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a systemctl reboot fixed it

it's gonna get wiped and replaced with ext4 though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maybe ou 're running out of inodes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

when i think cutting edge i definitely think of a 20 year old filesystem made by a defunct corporation that cant take snapshots

xfs is actively maintained

snapshottimg is provided by lvm, not the file system driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

btrfs might be fine technically or whatever but it's been in the kernel for 8 years and raid5 isn't finished. zfs has their own reasons but linus should have told the btrfs crew to put a sock in it and come back with something worthwhile