Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Asiina posted:

I liked this season a lot because Piper had maybe 20 minutes of dialogue in the whole thing.

I liked it too, it kind of shows how good the writers have been where they could put the main character in the back and still carry the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think this was probably the third best season after 4 and 2. The ambitious narrative decision worked really well as a change of pace but the cast is so unwieldy and the writers'/Kohan's idea of comedy-drama is still just alternating between the two in non-complimentary ways.

Most of the criticisms in this thread are valid but I don't understand why some of you are watching season 5 of a show you hate. There is so much good TV out there! You can find a better way to entertain yourself!

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

It could be the effect of "I stuck with this show for this long, I might as well see it through."

That said, I've gotten into the show a few months before this season, so i'm rather excited by the future developments of season 6. The prison riot is a neat concept for a narrative.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

Piper is a perfectly fine and interesting character when used correctly (which IMO she has been since they dropped Larry/her family subplots). I feel like people just love bashing her as a character using the same recycled criticisms from Season 1.

Yeah, I can see that. I still loved Piper in S1/S2, but whenever Larry appeared it dragged everything down.

Speaking of Piper's family, though, I do wish we would get more with her brother again.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

esperterra posted:

Speaking of Piper's family, though, I do wish we would get more with her brother again.

Same here. But I feel like that actor, Michael Chernus, is starting to get a lot more work. Him as 'Cool Rick' in Patriot (Amazon) is really great. Plus he's about to appear in the Spider-Man movie coming out this week.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doronin posted:

Same here. But I feel like that actor, Michael Chernus, is starting to get a lot more work. Him as 'Cool Rick' in Patriot (Amazon) is really great. Plus he's about to appear in the Spider-Man movie coming out this week.

There's actually two actors from OitNB in the new Spider-Man. (Slight non-story spoiler for Spider-Man: Homecoming) Selenis Leyva AKA Gloria is Peter Parker's schoolteacher.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
This season felt like a mess,, or maybe 4 just felt too strong to me. Like for such an intense concept, a riot, it stayed so tame and kinda farted out. Why did so many characters get repeat flashbacks that added so little? I expected Freida's to be way more interesting than it was given what is said about her in previous seasons. Piscatella's just made him more confusing?. And yeah Red being so strictly anti-drug but then... not was weird, even if it was supposed to be funny or something. Brooke and Pennsatucky and the meth heads have been old to me for awhile but I understand everyone likes different characters. I get this show is written by very much white liberals and that is probably why the range of tone (in plot and in dialogue) is so off but god it felt so more pronounced this season, I dont know.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If someone were marathoning this whole thing the break after Poussay's death would probably be a welcome break but when you wait a whole drat year for a new season that felt like it was the trigger to turn the series into Breaking Bad, and what ends up happening is it turns into Family Guy instead, yeah.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It turned into the same show it's always been

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It promises drama and nothing happens

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It fits with the idea of the prison being it's own universe, but it's amusing to think about the fact that Piper has only been in Litchfield for a year, it's only 8 months since she went to Chicago, and it is only 4 months since Alex was sent back in.

Anyone have any idea how the next season will go? I find it hard to imagine how they would reset the status quo and have everyone sent back to Litchfield, but at the same time it would be a strange thing to introduce two new prisons worth of characters at this point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It will probably be a big shake up characters that don't work will go away. Characters that do work will stay. I'm guessing everyone in the hidey hole are meant to stay. Unless the beginning of next season is some of them dying for no reason. Thinking back, the only interesting characters at the end were Maritza and Flaca.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If they break up Flaritza I am done

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

If they break up Flaritza I am done

Legit the most heartwrenching thing the show has done, imo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I had no idea Morello is Australian.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ep. 12: Piper and Alex are getting married ohmygoooooddddddddddddddd. How could they think anyone cares this show is dumb what is this loving sitcom poo poo I can't wait for two seasons later when they're applying for an adoption from inside prison or some poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope Piper somehow adopts a child and then for some reason it gets forced onto Jason Biggs and there are endless scenes of him trying to raise a child by himself.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know everybody said they didn't like the Jason Biggs stuff, but the show's worst seasons haven't had him. It might have been an important part of the mix despite being no one's favorite part.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PostNouveau posted:

I know everybody said they didn't like the Jason Biggs stuff, but the show's worst seasons haven't had him. It might have been an important part of the mix despite being no one's favorite part.

I think having people with more substantial side stories on the outside really helped balance the first two seasons out tbh.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RealFoxy posted:

If someone were marathoning this whole thing the break after Poussay's death would probably be a welcome break but when you wait a whole drat year for a new season that felt like it was the trigger to turn the series into Breaking Bad, and what ends up happening is it turns into Family Guy instead, yeah.

Its kind of a shortcoming to the Netflix release whole season at once. You basically watch the whole season in a week, then have to wait 51 weeks for the next season. It really blows.

At least with shows like breaking bad and walking dead only have 2-3 month breaks between seasons.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Side stories on the outside were fine, but I preferred it when it was, say, Piper's bearded hippie nerd cousin, rather than American Pie Guy and WASP Mom.

PostNouveau posted:

Ep. 12: Piper and Alex are getting married ohmygoooooddddddddddddddd. How could they think anyone cares this show is dumb what is this loving sitcom poo poo I can't wait for two seasons later when they're applying for an adoption from inside prison or some poo poo.

This obviously isn't gonna last, though. Piper is likely gonna be released in a season or two, whereas Alex has like four more years, right? Either they keep it as the most awkward relationship this side of Lorna, or Piper get a boyfriend and stops visiting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

Side stories on the outside were fine, but I preferred it when it was, say, Piper's bearded hippie nerd cousin, rather than American Pie Guy and WASP Mom.

This obviously isn't gonna last, though. Piper is likely gonna be released in a season or two, whereas Alex has like four more years, right? Either they keep it as the most awkward relationship this side of Lorna, or Piper get a boyfriend and stops visiting.

How many more seasons you think they have in them anyway? They did a whole riot season, and it still felt like the creative well is running dry.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

How many more seasons you think they have in them anyway? They did a whole riot season, and it still felt like the creative well is running dry.

Before it stops being good, or before they stop making more seasons?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

Before it stops being good, or before they stop making more seasons?

I guess I assumed they'd throw in the towel when it gets real bad (almost there), but that's probably silly of me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Its kind of a shortcoming to the Netflix release whole season at once. You basically watch the whole season in a week, then have to wait 51 weeks for the next season. It really blows.

At least with shows like breaking bad and walking dead only have 2-3 month breaks between seasons.

No show on earth has only a 2-3 month break between seasons. TWD splits its seasons in half so what you really get is three months between episode 8 and episode 9, then like six or seven months until the next season. Breaking Bad definitely never had that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would take all of the season at once over any other release format, ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also just because it's all out at once doesn't mean you have to binge anything.

Except for Catastrophe, because it's hard to resist watching an entire season of something in slightly more time than it takes to go out to dinner

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

No show on earth has only a 2-3 month break between seasons. TWD splits its seasons in half so what you really get is three months between episode 8 and episode 9, then like six or seven months until the next season. Breaking Bad definitely never had that.

Plus you get an extra, shittier version of the show during the downtime.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, remember when 24 episode seasons were the standard? A show would literally air for half a year. That seems insane now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Steve2911 posted:

Man, remember when 24 episode seasons were the standard? A show would literally air for half a year. That seems insane now.
Even at the pace Better Call Saul is going it's excruciating to wait for the new season. I think I had lucked out with Breaking Bad because I didn't end up watching until they were on the second-half of the last season so it was just a couple episodes left to finish the series for me.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Steve2911 posted:

:member: when a TV season was 39 episodes?
https://twitter.com/TedOnTV/status/882337432628338693

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The shortest gap between seasons that Breaking Bad ever had was still over 9 months. Seasons 3 and 4 were 13 months apart.

These days, the only shows with the kind of schedule you're describing are usually procedurals like SVU and sitcoms like BBT. I don't think anyone's making a prestige show that airs for 9 months of the year.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Finally got around to finish off this season. I enjoyed the front half; it was more like a comedic slice of life. Ultimately it basically lead to nothing. Amazingly every plot point either had a disappointing end or were just dropped/forgotten completely. Doesn't help that there's 800 characters but hopefully them all going to new prisons cuts down the cast, especially the nazi group/the tertiary latinas.

Danielle Brooks killed it and should be first on the 2018 Emmys shortlist.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Supercar Gautier posted:

The shortest gap between seasons that Breaking Bad ever had was still over 9 months. Seasons 3 and 4 were 13 months apart.

These days, the only shows with the kind of schedule you're describing are usually procedurals like SVU and sitcoms like BBT. I don't think anyone's making a prestige show that airs for 9 months of the year.

There is enough shows that air half seasons in the fall and half seasons in the spring to make my statement correct (I didn't say they ran for 9 months anywhere, just that there is only 2-3 month breaks.) enough to make the point that the gap is a big shortcoming to netflix.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I mean yeah, I'll still watch every new season but it's going to be so painful waiting a full year for mediocre content

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's always an option to refrain from binging and only watch one episode a week.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lycus posted:

It's always an option to refrain from binging and only watch one episode a week.
It's not the wait that's bothering me, it's how downhill the series has been going in my eyes. Waiting a whole year for the new season I'll watch, but I had so much higher hopes for it and this season which was hyped up to be the best yet just from the last 15 minutes of the previous season and it was just...not.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lycus posted:

:lol: not binging on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Not binging is not going to somehow magically improve this show.

• Locked thread