Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

monkeu posted:

Alright I'm new to this game and I'm not keeping up with this thread like at all. Sorry. Here's my question.

Stealth jump seems real good. Is it real good or should I use the slot for something else?

General consensus is it's actually bad because people can still see where you land so use the slot for something else

Also I got knocked down from A- to B in Tower Control :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
What do you mean they can still see where you land? Is it broken?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

monkeu posted:

What do you mean they can still see where you land? Is it broken?

Stealth Jump only hides the indicator from enemies if they're too far away. If they're near your super jump point, they can still camp it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In 1 it was just always hidden and it was frankly stupid as hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Stealth Jump only hides the indicator from enemies if they're too far away. If they're near your super jump point, they can still camp it.

That's what Splatdown's for :unsmigghh:.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I really hate rainmaker

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I want to play Rainmaker 24/7

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I still haven't played any of the ranked modes or Salmon Run, all I've been doing all week is single player and Turf War

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So today is the first time I've gotten Moray Towers in a Turf Wars rotation and I'm garbage at it. My team always loses and I score roughly 200 points less on it than any other maps.

What am I not getting about Moray Towers? I rush in to the center, tag up, and go back and forth trying to keep "our" sections inked. Then about a minute in there's three of the enemy team in the center, I die, and by the time I respawn one of the enemy team's rollers is halfway up to our spawn and the rest of the match is my team trying to gain back ground and failing.

I usually use the N-Zap or Splattershot Plus, is weapon choice the issue? Should I be using a roller or brush for Moray?

[Edit: the most annoying part is that I don't think I'm terrible at the game, I usually get 1st/2nd for points. I just don't get Moray Towers]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 30, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Use the recon feature and check out the map without the stress, there's a lot of sneaky grind rail and wall climb paths

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I stay the gently caress out of the middle on moray in turf war, there’s nothing to gain. Squirt a lil ink then go around and ink some enemy territory, circle back around later.

I guess that’s general turf war advice but yeah the middle of moray is a death trap, no point to it if there’s no tower/rainmaker to snag.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I carried the rainmaker all the way to the goal in one go in the first thirty seconds of the game and jumped from C- to B-

This ranking system can't tell the difference between skill and luck

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol I carried the rainmaker all the way to the goal in one go in the first thirty seconds of the game and jumped from C- to B-

This ranking system can't tell the difference between skill and luck

To be fair: at C- simply knowing what the objective is, is a level of skill

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakbay posted:

Use the recon feature and check out the map without the stress, there's a lot of sneaky grind rail and wall climb paths

Totally forgot recon mode is a thing, I'll check it out and get a better feel for the map, hopefully that helps.

pokeyman posted:

I stay the gently caress out of the middle on moray in turf war, there’s nothing to gain. Squirt a lil ink then go around and ink some enemy territory, circle back around later.

I guess that’s general turf war advice but yeah the middle of moray is a death trap, no point to it if there’s no tower/rainmaker to snag.

Okay, that makes sense. I do need to get better at leaving myself escape routes/anticipating where enemies will come from, so I guess that the linear nature and height of Moray really preys on my weaknesses.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally got round to playing a bit of this. Only single player, did the first boss. 's good stuff

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lelandjs posted:

So today is the first time I've gotten Moray Towers in a Turf Wars rotation and I'm garbage at it. My team always loses and I score roughly 200 points less on it than any other maps.

What am I not getting about Moray Towers? I rush in to the center, tag up, and go back and forth trying to keep "our" sections inked. Then about a minute in there's three of the enemy team in the center, I die, and by the time I respawn one of the enemy team's rollers is halfway up to our spawn and the rest of the match is my team trying to gain back ground and failing.

I usually use the N-Zap or Splattershot Plus, is weapon choice the issue? Should I be using a roller or brush for Moray?

[Edit: the most annoying part is that I don't think I'm terrible at the game, I usually get 1st/2nd for points. I just don't get Moray Towers]

I use both of those weapons pretty exclusively; mainly the Splatterpro. Your score issue is mainly due to the layout of the map, and the decidedly straight-shooting spread of the Pro. If you care about score, you could just stick to the straights instead of shooting perpendicular to them, losing a lot of ink to the gaps.

For Moray, I rush the middle and defend my side of it, usually from the far right perches (lil ramp by the ink rail if safe, or back up to the higher ground under the grate if defending rushers.) From the first spot, I can reach sloppy snipers on the enemy perch where the ink rail terminates, and I just keep an eye on that general area since any enemy that dies and wants to get back to the center ASAP is likely coming from that ledge. Keep that whole area inked and you should have plenty of time to get the jump on them.

I basically do this the entire match unless my team pushes hard, then I just go with them because gently caress it Turf War.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That was a fun and enjoyable session of rainmaker! :shepicide:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got to A this rainmaker rotation :)

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Frankston posted:

That was a fun and enjoyable session of rainmaker! :shepicide:

WOW....

I feel your pain.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How do I not suck rear end at this game? I've only been playing turf wars but I lose almost every game. I usually get the second place or so points wise but all these Japanese dudes just steamroll me every time

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I think it's interesting that for both Splatfest's so far they've been things that are better together than separate. Chocolate vs Peanut Butter cannot be far behind.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I can't wait until they add the ranged blaster to this game.

I can make due with the regular blaster but it's not the same...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

a7m2 posted:

How do I not suck rear end at this game? I've only been playing turf wars but I lose almost every game. I usually get the second place or so points wise but all these Japanese dudes just steamroll me every time

Run away and focus more on inking. Do not engage unless you have a tactical advantage. Try to sneak around enemies and get them from the side or behind.

Edit: also pick a weapon and stick with it. Learn its advantages and weaknesses ie the Aerospray can Ink a lot of ground quickly but in short range and almost always loses in firefights.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 30, 2017

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Run away and focus more on inking. Do not engage unless you have a tactical advantage. Try to sneak around enemies and get them from the side or behind.

Edit: also pick a weapon and stick with it. Learn its advantages and weaknesses ie the Aerospray can Ink a lot of ground quickly but in short range and almost always loses in firefights.

I do all this. Honestly I think my issue is just aiming and not panicking. What's a good beginner weapon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a7m2 posted:

I do all this. Honestly I think my issue is just aiming and not panicking. What's a good beginner weapon?

Dualies. Learn to use the Dodge, and you get Tenta Missiles with it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I don't know how many people hit 30 but I was so excited to get the gun that shoots crayons (Clash Blaster) and it appears to be a steaming pile of hot garbage? :negative:

It has a 4 shot time to kill compared to the 1~2 of the other blasters, it has pretty awful ink coverage even with its higher fire rate, and most people will kill you easily with any other gun even if you do take them by surprise.

Please tell me I'm missing something because shooting crayons will never not be hilarious to me

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Lakbay posted:

I don't know how many people hit 30 but I was so excited to get the gun that shoots crayons (Clash Blaster) and it appears to be a steaming pile of hot garbage? :negative:

It has a 4 shot time to kill compared to the 1~2 of the other blasters, it has pretty awful ink coverage even with its higher fire rate, and most people will kill you easily with any other gun even if you do take them by surprise.

Please tell me I'm missing something because shooting crayons will never not be hilarious to me

Sometimes...
higher level weapons...
are worse.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zeruel posted:

Sometimes...
higher level weapons...
are worse.

I played a lot of CoD-influenced shooters so I know that. I was just pumped when they announced it in the Direct: "here's a grenade launcher with a crayon payload!"

Incidentally it's also the blaster in tonight's SR rotation so maybe it's good there :v:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zeruel posted:

Sometimes...
higher level weapons...
are worse.

Yea, I must admit that I've been pretty disappointed with just about everything that isn't unlocked from the start. A friend of mine who is way better than me is still using the Splattershot Jr. carried over from Splatoon 1.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Just a PSA from someone who played the last game.

Nintendo patches splatoon pretty regularly so the meta changes. They also seem to be adding a new weapon a week.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know it's going to happen but I hope the tri slosher doesn't get hit too hard...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has anyone seen someone do good with the gootuber yet?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

still baffled with how moray towers is a returning map when there are so many better maps in the first game

i'm given flashbacks when nintendo put it to a vote what the stages of the final splatfest would be and people picked kelp dome and moray towers because they're clown idiots with bad taste

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kelp dome owns but turf war is really boring on it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

still baffled with how moray towers is a returning map when there are so many better maps in the first game

i'm given flashbacks when nintendo put it to a vote what the stages of the final splatfest would be and people picked kelp dome and moray towers because they're clown idiots with bad taste

I have no loving clue why anyone voted Moray Towers into the final Splatfest. Kelp Dome at least is a nice big simple map you can run around in.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I've heard only bad things about goo tuber.

And I like Moray Towers, love them grind rails.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Moray Towers is a really unique map which is why so many people like it so much.

I have no idea why anyone likes Port Mackerel though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That skate park map is a pain in the rear end in tower control. Swimming up walls is already a finicky thing, trying to swim from the curvy floor of that map up the tower is impossible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zeruel posted:

I've heard only bad things about goo tuber.

And I like Moray Towers, love them grind rails.

The grind rails are new. As are the sponges on Port Mackerel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How do I make a cool drawing like all the other people?