Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

You would skip one of the most tragic, Shakespearean love stories in gaming?! (uh, spoilers for Super Paper Mario in that link, I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

To add a non-shitpost to this page, I finished editing the second episode of my presumptive Let's Break Morrowind LP. How's this video look? I encoded it as an... F4V? Which sounds wrong, but H.264 wouldn't let me do 60 FPS for some stupid reason. I'm trying to encode it as an FLV now, but it's gonna take forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPzGRMi4ZM

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

To add a non-shitpost to this page, I finished editing the second episode of my presumptive Let's Break Morrowind LP. How's this video look? I encoded it as an... F4V? Which sounds wrong, but H.264 wouldn't let me do 60 FPS for some stupid reason. I'm trying to encode it as an FLV now, but it's gonna take forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPzGRMi4ZM

What are you using to encode that won't do h.264 at 60fps? And what format are you encoding from?

/edit: Video doesn't look too hot to be honest. Text is kinda blurry, and whenever you're moving the compression is quite noticeable. What are you recording with, and what are your in-game settings?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 23, 2017

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

What are you using to encode that won't do h.264 at 60fps? And what format are you encoding from?

/edit: Video doesn't look too hot to be honest. Text is kinda blurry, and whenever you're moving the compression is quite noticeable. What are you recording with, and what are your in-game settings?
Adobe Premiere gives me a stupid error message whenever I try to bump the frame rate above 30:

The footage is, I think, 1024 x 768, captured with OBS using otherwise default settings. EDIT: Oh, and it's an MP4, I forgot to mention that.

Here's the FLV version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r18sLZfY88

The Wu-Tang Secret fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 23, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Hmmm, would you be able to see what type of bitrate you're recording in with OBS. Like would you be able to take a quick screenshot of your encoding settings in OBS and put it up here. Also are you recording at 60 FPS in OBS? The problem could be in your source material or it could be with how you're re-encoding it in Premiere.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Set your level in the encoder settings to be higher and it should be ok.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Sandcastle notes: I guess that I don't necessarily have to run this by the Sandcastle, since I should have this system down pat by now, but there's no harm in doing so. I'm primarily wondering if everything looks good, in particular the sound of the soundtrack videos, which might be iffy since this is the first time I'm converting MIDIs. This first update doesn't have any actual gameplay, but the second one would also only have "gameplay" in that you can walk around, so really, not much different there - though if you want me to, I can crank out the second update over the next few days for you to check out as well. Anyway, here's the OP.

Parenting Problems Through Permanent Puberty: Let's Play Vampires Dawn II!

So, what's all this then?

This is Vampires Dawn II: Ancient Blood, the direct sequel to Vampires Dawn: Reign of Blood. It's a German game made by Alexander "Marlex" Koch, and was released in 2005. The game was made with RPG Maker 2003, so the basic engine hasn't changed much, with the exception of the battles, which now run on the Active Time Battle system instead of the "everybody acts once, with the order depending on their Speed stat" system the first game used. Apart from that, the sequel has expanded the gameplay with a fair share of new systems, the maps have gotten bigger, there's a lot more custom assets... really, everything has gotten more. In my opinion, Vampires Dawn II is the apex of the German RPG Maker scene's renaissance that happened around this time, which I've brought up a few times before in other RPG Maker game LPs. This, to me, is the biggest release there ever was for German RPG Maker games.

So is this going to be a translation LP again?

Actually... no, and I'm as surprised by this as anyone. But here's the thing: In August 2016, an English translation of Vampires Dawn II was released. I gave it a look, expecting it to be of similar quality to the one of the first game, which had a few too many mistakes and rough translations for my tastes. And it turns out... it's actually solid! There's the occasional hiccup in there that I would have made sure to iron out if I were doing the translating (but that's largely because I'm a stubborn guy like that), but by and large, the translation is perfectly solid, and hey, they even translated all the graphics into English! As such, I'm going to be using that translation, because hey, that's going to be a TON less work for me. Less work is good. Don't worry, though, I'm going to make up for it.

Alright, so tell us more about this game.

Well, it's a relatively standard JRPG - as you might have guessed from it being made with RPG Maker - but it does have a few tricks up its sleeve that are quite interesting, most notably a strange sort of strategy game you get to play throughout the game, which is definitely something I hadn't seen from similar games. However, overall, there isn't much to be said about this game that doesn't apply to the predecessor, just in bigger, better and shinier form.

What do I need to know before going into this one?

First of all, my LP of the first game is required reading. This is a direct sequel, so this is not really negotiable. The game does have a very quick recap at the start, but it doesn't exactly compare to actually seeing the entire game. Second of all... actually, I can't think of much else. Maybe read Unterwegs in Düsterburg too? It's another German RPG Maker game, and while it isn't directly related, if you liked Vampires Dawn, you'll like Düsterburg, and I'll probably refer to Düsterburg occasionally as well. Otherwise, since this is not actually a translation LP, this is probably going to be just a completely bog-standard SSLP of a JRPG. You should know what you're getting into.

So really, let's just cut to the chase and get this show on the road!

Update I - The Framing Device So Nice, They Used It Twice

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Set your level in the encoder settings to be higher and it should be ok.
Ah, that was it. Increasing the level to 4.0 let me bump the framerate up. Thanks! H.264 is encoding now.

discworld is all I read posted:

Hmmm, would you be able to see what type of bitrate you're recording in with OBS. Like would you be able to take a quick screenshot of your encoding settings in OBS and put it up here. Also are you recording at 60 FPS in OBS? The problem could be in your source material or it could be with how you're re-encoding it in Premiere.
Most of the video was recorded on my old hard drive, so I'm not sure what the exact settings on it were, but here's what they are for the bit I recorded at the end:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
For me at least, if I'm going to re-encode the MP4 that OBS spits out then I'll record in OBS with a much larger bitrate. So 2500 out of OBS seems a bit low to me; like I'll record in OBS in like 8000 and then re-encode the final video in like 1500-2000. Also it might be worth changing the output from Simple to Advanced cause that gives you some more options to mess around with to get better quality. But otherwise your settings seem to be fine and it does appear like you should be getting a file that is 60 FPS.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:justpost:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Agreed. Looks good, McD.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hey guys I recently started a new channel after years of wanting to try to get into it.

It's called The Tired Dad Plays

I have a couple of LPs going right now including Mass Effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwVzM52bWd0&t=12s

and Undertale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXKl4hNoUPk&t=1531s

I'm having a blast doing it, learning along the way the best ways to get my videos to look as good and sound as good as I can. I don't have a lot of time or resources on my hand because I'm a full time worker and I have a wife and two kids to look after so I gotta sneak the videos in when I can. If nothing else, my daughter will like it :). Still, I'd love to hear what anyone who takes the time to check my stuff out thinks. Thanks for your time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

holy poo poo is it 2013 again?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

Hey guys I recently started a new channel after years of wanting to try to get into it.

It's called The Tired Dad Plays

Alright so, I gave your Mass Effect video a listen and less than 10 minutes in I'm about ready to fall asleep. I get you're the 'Tired Dad', but that doesn't mean your audience has to be apart of the tiredness too.

Biggest problem I heard is that your volume is WAY too low compared to the game's volume. Not saying you should speak up, although that would help, but you need to do a better job balancing those levels. Record your commentary separately with Audacity or something and boost it in post. As it sounds now, your video might as well be an ASMR video.

Next problem is the commentary itself. The 10 minutes I gave you to hook me onto your playthrough was spent listening to following:

quote:

-Your reason for lping
-Your reasoning for picking FemShep and her skin color (This is fine commentary-wise.)
-You repeating your reason for lping
-Some reactions to what the characters were saying. Which you might have thought was funny but really, it makes you sound weird because you're talking to the screen. Not saying you can't pull this kind of stuff off, but given your 'Tired Dad' branding it's not gonna fly since you would have to put some energy in your responses. So cut it out.

Just FYI, no one and I mean NO ONE is interested in listening to your reasons for starting an LP channel. People come to the video looking to be entertained, not to listen to your life's story.

The easiest fix to this problem would be to do post-commentary instead of live, but given your situation you're not really in a position to do that; so the next best thing is to actually be funny and/or actually have something interesting to say. Examples include, explaining what Renegade points are. Also learn to hold back on the funny quips during cutscenes. Seriously, you talk over everyone to say something. On that note, not talking during cutscenes would be a good idea, because nothing is more annoying than trying to listen to a character speaking while the LPer is making what amounts to white noise on top.

I could go on with this, but I would have to sit through more of your video. So instead I'll just say if there's anything you should take away from this post, it would be to go check out some of the threads on this subforum to get a better idea of the kind of stuff we like to see. (Hell, some test posts in this very thread would do.) If anything you might figure out a better LPing style than the tired Youtube LP Superstar style with a tired guy twist.

Also pro-tip, 'The Tired Dad Plays' is a terrible name/brand for an LP channel. Think of something else.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 24, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Combat Lobster posted:

Alright so, I gave your Mass Effect video a listen and less than 10 minutes in I'm about ready to fall asleep. I get you're the 'Tired Dad', but that doesn't mean your audience has to be apart of the tiredness too.

Biggest problem I heard is that your volume is WAY too low compared to the game's volume. Not saying you should speak up, although that would help, but you need to do a better job balancing those levels. Record your commentary separately with Audacity or something and boost it in post. As it sounds now, your video might as well be an ASMR video.

Next problem is the commentary itself. The 10 minutes I gave you to hook me onto your playthrough was spent listening to following:

Just FYI, no one and I mean NO ONE is interested in listening to your reasons for starting an LP channel. People come to the video looking to be entertained, not to listen to your life's story.

The easiest fix to this problem would be to do post-commentary instead of live, but given your situation you're not really in a position to do that; so the next best thing is to actually be funny and/or actually have something interesting to say. Examples include, explaining what Renegade points are. Also learn to hold back on the funny quips during cutscenes. Seriously, you talk over everyone to say something. On that note, not talking during cutscenes would be a good idea, because nothing is more annoying than trying to listen to a character speaking while the LPer is making what amounts to white noise on top.

I could go on with this, but I would have to sit through more of your video. So instead I'll just say if there's anything you should take away from this post, it would be to go check out some of the threads on this subforum to get a better idea of the kind of stuff we like to see. (Hell, some test posts in this very thread would do.) If anything you might figure out a better LPing style than the tired Youtube LP Superstar style with a tired guy twist.

Also pro-tip, 'The Tired Dad Plays' is a terrible name/brand for an LP channel. Think of something else.

Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to look at my stuff and caring enough to actually give me some constructive criticism. I'll take what you say and try to improve the things I can.

For example I think if fixed the audio issue, unless it's too loud now haha. Here's an episode I did last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG6Gb0iQqdA

I had to go through a lot of small issues with pretty much each video but now I think I found the setup that works for me. In regards to the talking points we'll see where that goes. I pretty much say what I have on my mind at the time but I agree with you about saying too much too often. I think I've pulled back on that as well. I've even put out a few no commentary videos for games like Fire Pro Wrestling World and Wrestling Revolution 3D.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Agreed. Looks good, McD.

Alright, two :justpost:s in here, one :justpost: in the Discord, and nobody brought up any issues. Good enough for me, the Vampires Dawn II thread is now live!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have started recording myself playing videogames. Now that I've made my first macaroni art, I'd be honored if this hollowed council (or internet sewing circle, digital writer's group, video editing consortium?) would take at my very first upload. I intend to throw this series into the Casual Thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2sZrRWypI

The videogame is Factorio. My current tools are OBS for game capture, Audacity for voice recording, and Vegas Movie Studio 13 to slap the two tracks together and encode. So far, through practical experimentation and a slew of test recordings, I think I've found a passible workflow for creating a hobby grade LP video. But I know that I am missing some peices to increase quality. My biggest issue is striking a balance between boosting my headset microphone without having it pick up the audio pumping out of the earpeice. What resources would you recommend for getting the basic jist of levels and sound mixing?

Narratively, my goal is to lay out basic concepts of the mechanics, and then transition into a slightly more relax weed/bobross addled tending to a garden. Going for more space wizard, Ravingloon style effect.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Okay, so here's my H.264 render of Let's Break Morrowind episode 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSphpRyldRE

And here's what I'm thinking for the first post.

quote:

Let's Break Megathread

Are you tired of Let's Plays where people play the game like a normal person, refusing to take advantage of bugs, glitches, and/or exploits in order to completely trivialize the game? Do you take a perverse delight in seeing otherwise good and balanced games stripped down and humiliated for an audience? Then this is just the thread for you! The Let's Break Megathread is a place for all sorts of LPs that might not necessarily be suited to their own proper thread, but all share the same general idea: breaking the poo poo out of games.

Things that I'm thinking about here:
  • Exploiting bugs and general design oversights to throw balance out the window
  • More literally break the game by showing off various more horrible glitches
  • Maybe a tasteful use of GameShark codes and the like, if they're interesting

Things that are not-so-great:
  • Just grinding levels or whatever to get power. Boring.
  • Using cheat codes or GameShark to just enable god mode. You still have to work for it!

Some excellent examples of Let's Break:

Also, don't feel the need to do an actual complete LP here! One-off updates to show off some silly bug are fine, and highly encouraged. Also, screenshot updates are perfectly welcome as well, but please use the SSLP Test Poster to post a link to them instead of posting them directly in the thread.

And with that introduction out of the way, let me move on directly to my contribution to the thread...

So, Morrowind is one of my favorite games, and there have been a few threads about it here every now and again. Most of them have at least made an attempt to play the game the way it was "intended" to be played, not exploiting any major bugs or balance oversights or anything.

But that's not my Morrowind.

In my Morrowind, I'm an immortal, sociopathic god-king who leaps across the land like Michael Jordan in Space Jam, brewing potions that make me basically invincible and let me cast unbelievably powerful spells, and trapping the souls of powerful daedra so I can use them to make enchanted pairs of pants. Though for the most part, I just steal poo poo.

So I'm going to be doing my own playthrough of Morrowind, and I'm going to be doing things my way, doing my best to break things apart and accumulate as much wealth and power as possible. But in the interest of fairness (and making the game interesting to watch for more than ten minutes), I won't be using every bug available to me. There are ways to permanently buff your stats into the tens of thousands, or to make potions that do the same thing for several in-game years, but in the interest of keeping things sporting, I won't be doing either of those. But don't you worry, I will be making some overpowered potions later. Just reasonably so. Mostly.

Also, I'll be playing completely unpatched, so if you happen to be playing along with a megamod pack, you might notice some discrepancies. (For one, the orcs in Ghorak Manor might beat the poo poo out of you if you try stealing from them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYgNPtHemM
Let's Break Morrowind 01 - This Is A Journey Into Money

In this first episode, I'm mostly just stealing things, just to build up a nice little financial base off of which to springboard my future efforts. But you can see several tricks of the trade I'll be using to steal things in the future, as well as where we'll be fencing off all of those stolen goods.

If the quality on the video is decent enough, does everything look good here to :justpost:?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Your voice is kind of quiet and it's hard to make out what you're saying a lot of the time.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Also, some breathing is audible.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are actual plays cool to do in the LP forum? Like if I hopped on mic with 4 -5 dudes and recorded shadowrun over discord to show off how hilariously broken / fun cyberpunk can be would that be cool? Would you guys hate that? I don't know what the rules are, but I think I've seen people LP board games before so it sound like it could be cool.

I want to add audience interaction to my actual play with the whole Web 1.0 feel where people get to react on the message board and vote and poo poo. I kind of want to get meta with it as well.

To be clear, I'm positive it'll be Interesting, (this is not an interest check,) my question is, is it allowed?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

We've had TTRPG threads in the past, so you should be fine.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Your voice is kind of quiet and it's hard to make out what you're saying a lot of the time.
Noted. I lowered the game audio in the second video, but I've lowered it a bit further since then.

Here's an audio test I just recorded. I bumped my mic volume up a bit (and then hit it with a little noise reduction, because there was an AC running three feet away from me), and then set up the noisiest possible in-game scenario I could think of. How's this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Q1TwFjfR0

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As a philosophical concept, what levels do you set your volume at to judge audio mixing? Open question, best case practice and actual?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KirbyKhan posted:

As a philosophical concept, what levels do you set your volume at to judge audio mixing? Open question, best case practice and actual?

The sweet spot in audacity / OBS is -6 db, as that's where your voice sounds the best and "most natural." You want the game To be about 5 db below that, so that you're heard clearly over it.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
FYI I'm going to be moving the lparchive/lpix/etc server to a new host on saturday morning my time - so somewhere between 1am-4am US time most likely.

It should be fairly transparent, I'll close lpix for uploads on the old server, make sure any recent uploads are transferred, then swap the DNS. After a few hours the new server should be responding to all queries and everything will go on as normal from there. If you find anything that's broken or whatever just let me know, I think I checked most things but I probably forgot some little thing somewhere.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Switchover is done, DNS propagation seems to be pretty much sorted now although there's always a handful of slow holdouts.

Let me know if something is busted.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so to ask a stupid question, does the halfass LP slowbeef and diabetus did of symphony of the night still exist?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

baldurk posted:

Switchover is done, DNS propagation seems to be pretty much sorted now although there's always a handful of slow holdouts.

Let me know if something is busted.

It looks like some unicode characters aren't working right in the screenshot tester. ♪ gets turned into a question mark, for example.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Really Pants posted:

It looks like some unicode characters aren't working right in the screenshot tester. ♪ gets turned into a question mark, for example.

I think I've fixed it, try again now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Looks good! Thank you.

Kubbles
Oct 26, 2008
How do people here feel about multiplayer LPs? I don't mean co-op or playing around with friends, I mean an LP showcasing some domination on public servers. I've been wanting to do an LP similar to James315's Battlefield 1942 thread for a while, but I'm not sure how it would be received considering it's a bit unorthodox.

So, as an example, here's some content:

Kicking some rear end in the past. Let's Play Call of Duty Multiplayer

With the upcoming release of Call of Duty: World War II, there has been a lot of talk about the series returning to its roots. But, what exactly are those roots? Back in 2003, a small development team named Infinity Ward released a game like no other of the time. Instead of a lone space marine taking on hordes of hellish creatures, it emphasized squad combat and offered a more grounded experience. Let's take a trip down memory lane and play the game that started it all, the original Call of Duty. However, I will not be playing through the single player campaigns. If you want to see that, CoolGuy and TheLastRoboKy already did a great LP of the single player game, which you can view on the LP archive here. For this LP, I will only be covering the multiplayer aspect of the game.

But wait, isn't CoDMP practically dead?

Well, yes, there aren't too many active servers left these days. This means that we're going to have to take drastic measures. We will have to go back in time to play the game when it was at its peak in popularity! So pop your collar and load up your Blink-182 CD, we're going back to 2005!

How is this possible?

Back around 2004-2006ish, I played CoDMP pseudo-competitively. During this time, one of my friends showed me how to record in-game demos using the console. After that, I began recording almost every game I played, practicing on public servers just about every weekend. The result is that I have hours upon hours of in-game footage of pub stomping from that era. In a sense, you could say that this LP was 10 years in the making.

And since we're going to be playing on public servers in the mid '00s, here are some things to look out for:
- Unironic leetspeak
- The word "pwned" ad nauseum
- Chappelle's Show references
- Horrendously outdated memes
- Occasional commentary on Bush and Iraq

With that being said, let's go over the mechanics:

--(Bunch of information about the game)--

For the purposes of this Let's Play, I will be showing Team Deathmatch on all 16 maps for vanilla, unmodded Call of Duty Multiplayer. Then, I will go back and revisit some of the maps to show off different gamemodes, some interesting mods and other oddities that were recorded.

EPISODE 01 - The Basics of CoDMP

Map: mp_dawnville
Date: February 6, 2005
Team: Axis (German)
Video: Youtube

For the premiere episode, we will be visiting the town of St. Mere Eglise, or as the old boys know it, Dawnville. I'll be going over some of the core basics of the game while getting some sweet MP44 frags on some yanks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kubbles posted:

How do people here feel about multiplayer LPs?

indifferent? people only really care if an LP is entertaining. there aren't a lot of multiplayer LPs, but they've been done. those that are super interesting are great. those that are boring as hell aren't. that said, sometimes great LPs get overlooked and bland LPs get overexposed--so who knows.

video quality looks solid and you commentary's informative to be interesting (i stuck through the whole video). only way to know how well it'll be received is to :justpost:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Alright, I'm working on a Dream Daddy screenshot LP. It's a bit different from what I've been doing so far (I haven't needed to make headshots before, for one), so feedback on anything that's really not working would be great.

OP annnnnd example update.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 4, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Alright, I'm working on a Dream Daddy screenshot LP. It's a bit different from what I've been doing so far (I haven't needed to make headshots before, for one), so feedback on anything that's really not working would be great.

OP annnnnd example update.

The headshots look fine to me, they're a little big, but that can be a good thing. It just depends on how you like the text to be spaced.

I'd give it a :justpost:, looks ready for a thread to me!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

LordHippoman posted:

The headshots look fine to me, they're a little big, but that can be a good thing. It just depends on how you like the text to be spaced.

I'd give it a :justpost:, looks ready for a thread to me!

Thanks! I figured I'd lose a lot of detail on the facial expressions (there are so many expressions for the NPCs, it's insane) if I went much smaller, but I'll tinker with that more and see if I can get a better balance.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Earlier someone gave me a lot of great tips about my LPs. I think I've made a decent amount of improvements but I'd love to hear what you guys think. I got two going currently.

Mass Effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2epze0OYQ

And Undertale. In the latest episodes my daughter has joined me in the fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZlVRCf0qc

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

Earlier someone gave me a lot of great tips about my LPs. I think I've made a decent amount of improvements but I'd love to hear what you guys think. I got two going currently.

Mass Effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2epze0OYQ

And Undertale. In the latest episodes my daughter has joined me in the fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZlVRCf0qc

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Are the intros really necessary? I can tell what game you're playing by the video title or the description. I don't really need a 10 second bumper of each game's title card at the start of each video to remind me. I understand that you're apparently recording these videos in marathon sessions with live commentary, but your in and out points on the videos you linked are quite jarring. I know in the case of Undertale you're kind of at someone else's whims as to stop and start points, but maybe that's something to consider when you're doing solo commentary--trying to keep natural stop and start points in mind as you're playing and work in a line or two in the commentary to east the transition between videos a bit.

On a technical level though everything seems fine, so you've got that down, so it's just a matter of tightening up the presentation and style, and that comes with practice.

Your daughter is adorable, by the way :3:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Are the intros really necessary? I can tell what game you're playing by the video title or the description. I don't really need a 10 second bumper of each game's title card at the start of each video to remind me. I understand that you're apparently recording these videos in marathon sessions with live commentary, but your in and out points on the videos you linked are quite jarring. I know in the case of Undertale you're kind of at someone else's whims as to stop and start points, but maybe that's something to consider when you're doing solo commentary--trying to keep natural stop and start points in mind as you're playing and work in a line or two in the commentary to east the transition between videos a bit.

On a technical level though everything seems fine, so you've got that down, so it's just a matter of tightening up the presentation and style, and that comes with practice.

Your daughter is adorable, by the way :3:

Thanks so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. Also I told my daughter you thought she was adorable and this is her quote: "Find that person, find them on youtube, give them a hundred million likes because they deserve it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I had the idea to start putting sponsored content in my LPs, but disguise them as screamers so people get scared rather than think I'm a shill. Thoughts?