Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Kins posted:

Oh, I can live without one since I have one of those case-with-a-stand sort of dealies, I'm just used to having one after having a 30-pin iPad dock sitting next to my PC for the last half-decade, so, you know, it'd be nice.
What's your case like at the bottom around the charge port? Some docks (like the Belkin one I have) can be a bit awkward with cases that are too thick around there, so I usually buy open-bottom cases now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/LISTED-Charg...Ezo+power+strip

Simple, charges fast, has that slot that is kind of a dock.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/LISTED-Charg...Ezo+power+strip

Simple, charges fast, has that slot that is kind of a dock.

If i didnt have like 5 multiport wall bricks already id buy this so fast

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I was handed an Ipad Air 1 and have zero experience with itunes or syncing media to the device.

I am trying to add my movies/tv shows stored locally on a Windows 7 Desktop. I installed iTunes and added my music folder to iTunes no problem. I can see those files and drag and drop them to the iPad with zero issues. When I go to File>Add Folder (then select a video folder) to Library, nothing shows up in the main library tab. The only time I see the data is when I key over to the connected device and look at potentially syncable video files. I can't actually move the files over, because the "sync movies" box is unmarked, and when I hit it there's a dialog that asks if I want to wipe the device and sync with library. Note: there's nothing on the device. I have no idea what the hell is going on and some clues might be nice.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 23, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What format are the video files in? If they aren't being added to your library then they are probably in the wrong format. There's a few apps that will let you play videos in pretty much any format and you can use iTunes to add them directly to the app.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Most of my file collection is not in mp4 file format. Movies are mostly in MKV or AVI. If itunes doesn't recognize those files, how do I move them over? w/o routing them through dropbox or another cloud storage platform?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You can use something like handbrake to actually convert them.

See if VLC is on the app store. With that, you can literally drag and drop the files into VLC and play them in the app. There's directions on how to do it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is a VLC app but it hasn't been updated in like a year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Infuse pro is worth every penny.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

MC Hawking posted:

Most of my file collection is not in mp4 file format. Movies are mostly in MKV or AVI. If itunes doesn't recognize those files, how do I move them over? w/o routing them through dropbox or another cloud storage platform?

I use nPlayer for MKVs and other videos, you can drag and drop the files over in iTunes and it'll Just Work™.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/nplayer-plus-the-best-media-player/id539397400?mt=8

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

There is a VLC app but it hasn't been updated in like a year.

Still works fine. Not all apps need constant updates.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Beta 4 dropped. Still freezing on the switcher and something changed with autolayout because the search bar is untappable in tweetbot. 10/10 they added icons to spotlight search

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looking for a washable desk pad I can carry around with my ipad to lay it on when I'm iffy about the surface. Any recommendations before I buy a regular one and cut it down to size?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Virtue posted:

Looking for a washable desk pad I can carry around with my ipad to lay it on when I'm iffy about the surface. Any recommendations before I buy a regular one and cut it down to size?

IDGI

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the recommended way to clean the fuzzy part of the smart keyboard? I just put my ipad on whatever surface and it's getting gross

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

What's the recommended way to clean the fuzzy part of the smart keyboard? I just put my ipad on whatever surface and it's getting gross

Have you considered a washable desk pad?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Lol. I know I'm neurotic but this is a real problem!

Virtue fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 29, 2017

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
What exactly constitutes an "iffy" surface?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fordan posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

fordan posted:

Like a dirty table or something that I think might scratch the back. I'm not using my ipad on a bed of nails or anything. So really I just want one of those desk pads you put your keyboard and w/e on except ipad sized. Or an alternative if anyone has any bright ideas. Leaning towards a mouse pad right now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Virtue posted:

Like a dirty table or something that I think might scratch the back. I'm not using my ipad on a bed of nails or anything. So really I just want one of those desk pads you put your keyboard and w/e on except ipad sized. Or an alternative if anyone has any bright ideas. Leaning towards a mouse pad right now.

A...case? Pretty sure they make things that just cover the back of the iPad and don't have a flap or anything covering the screen.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Virtue posted:

Have you considered a full body skin instead of having to carry a dumb mousepad or a cutting board around everywhere?

I've had a clear matte one on my Air and my MBP since day 1 and you can't even tell it's there.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

A...case? Pretty sure they make things that just cover the back of the iPad and don't have a flap or anything covering the screen.

I want to appreciate the tasteful thickness of my apple product.

eddiewalker posted:

Have you considered a full body skin instead of having to carry a dumb mousepad or a cutting board around everywhere?

I've had a clear matte one on my Air and my MBP since day 1 and you can't even tell it's there.

This might be a good idea if I can manage to get it on without bubbles everywhere and it doesn't gently caress up the ipad when I remove it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Applying a skin to the brushed back of an iPad is really forgiving - the logo and edge alignment/adhesion are about all you have to worry about — and any bubbles smaller than about 1/16” will dissolve in a day or two.

And skins do no damage at all, they don’t even leave residue.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Go to the rest room and get one of those paper toilet seat covers.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Mattavist posted:

Go to the rest room and get one of those paper toilet seat covers.

That's silly. Carrying around a roll of toilet paper makes much more sense.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
FWIW, the KHOMO Companion Cover (UK/US) seems to be the closest thing to the Apple Silicone Case available for the 10.5 Pro. I picked one up and it's fine. It doesn't feel as nice as Apple's stuff but it works with Smart Keyboard and was like £14

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Virtue posted:

I want to appreciate the tasteful thickness of my apple product.

This might be a good idea if I can manage to get it on without bubbles everywhere and it doesn't gently caress up the ipad when I remove it.

They'rs pretty much all wet-apply now, so it's really easy to get perfect.

They come with a little squirt bottle of solution. You spray down the film, then it slides easily around on the back of your device. Maybe a hair dryer to get the curved edges to tack in place, then let it dry overnight.

There's lots of videos.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
After being summarily failed by Surfaces, I'm going back to apple. Got a MBP and want to pair an iPad for note taking. It'll strictly be used for textbook PDFs, Biology major notes, media consumption, and as a coaster.

Do I need a Pro for the pencil? Or is a basic iPad with a fancy active stylus going to give me a similar experience as someone who has a primal aversion to art or drawing or anything considered "creative"?

I was thinking just grabbing the cheap-o base model iPad, grub the 40$ student discount and pick up a well reviewed stylus on Amazon and use notability.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

If you're doing a lot of writing then you want the pencil.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Virtue posted:

If you're doing a lot of writing then you want the pencil.

It's likely more along the lines of highlighting/annotating PDFs and Powerpoints; I've realized most of my heavy duty copying and study guide making is done by typing.

I really like the Pencil, but all things considered it's close to $400 more, and I kinda balk at that. Should I just shut up and drop dolla?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've heard good things about the Fifty Three Pencil stylus. It syncs via Bluetooth and has some basic palm rejection features depending on the app you're using.

It's not as good as an Apple Pencil, but it cost around $30 and can be used on regular iPads. If you're doing light writing and highlighting, it will probably work. It may not be accurate enough for detailed note-taking.

And unless you plan on using other features of the Pro (smart connector, better speakers, extensive use of the Pencil, awesome screen) then no, you shouldn't purchase it. I'm inclined to say no one should purchase the 9.7 Pro since it's just not different enough from a regular iPad. If/when I upgrade my Pro I'm going 12 inches all the way.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I had a Fifty-Three Pencil for a while before my wife's lovely dog chewed it up. It was OK, but definitely better for drawing than writing. The tip is huge and squishy (save your jokes).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

I had a Fifty-Three Pencil for a while before my wife's lovely dog chewed it up. It was OK, but definitely better for drawing than writing. The tip is huge and squishy (save your jokes).

Yeah I agree with this.

The Apple Pencil is awesome.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I agree with this.

The Apple Pencil is awesome.

Is the awesome worth the $400 for the Pro + Pencil is the question, however. You get what you pay for, I guess?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What are the must have Pencil apps? I have Evernote and Notes. What else do I need for general office work and note taking and making slides for boring work presentations?

I went all in on the 10.5 pro, Smart Keyboard, pencil, and leather sleeve. I can't wait for all the bezels in my life to go away.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I do a lot of note taking and document annotation. For my use cases I bounce between good notes, notability, and liquidtext. Notability has audio playback tied to the notes. Liquidtext is really unique so I suggest trying it out for yourself. The full version with pencil support is $10 for the enterprise version but just annotating and typing notes is free.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Ultimate Mango posted:

I went all in on the 10.5 pro, Smart Keyboard, pencil, and leather sleeve. I can't wait for all the bezels in my life to go away.

Did you find it worth the :10bux: (I assume) paired with a laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Enemu posted:

Did you find it worth the :10bux: (I assume) paired with a laptop?

I have years and years of stuff in Evernote. I loathe their new paid model, and kind of feel held hostage by it. I got my work to pay for this past year, or was like $35, not sure if I will pay again. I probably will because :effort:
A bunch of people at my work are moving to Keep or the new Microsoft note thing.