Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
East Coast bias confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Wrong thread.

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 29, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sent

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
A couple of weeks ago The Rube episode the Dollop got passed around the N/V thread. Anyway, speaking of holding grudges, about five minutes into the Ten Cent Beer Night episode Dave Anthony tells a story about how, to this day, whenever he hears someone mention Ozzie Smith he was to point out Smith is a bitch because he punched Will Clark in the back of the head in 1987. Now that is holding a grudge.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Jesus, people hate Ozzie Smith? I've never heard that. Wow.

He's my favorite player of all time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm not hungover, you're hungover. :negative:

ALL VOTES ARE IN!

Ballot count: 25

Possibly an all-time low. I'll step up my self-promotion game next year. At any rate, it's number-crunching time!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Sorry, it's been a very difficult and depressing year, both for me personally and for my Toronto Blue Jays. I just couldn't get motivated to make a ballot. But thank you again for organizing it and I'm looking forward to reading the results.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm a Mets fan, so I know all about how depressing 2017 is. It's been rough. :smith::hf::smith:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh no I was out of town all week and just found this thread. I'll vote next year...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Alright, I'm going to start out with some purely anecodtal un-stats-related stuff because I can not for the life of me figure out how to make any graphs in Google anymore. I will figure this out, and I will be stats-ing it up in no time.

To start,

Player Who Got Zero Positive Votes That I Was Personally Most Shocked About

Christian Yelich
Team: Miami Marlins
Debut: July 23, 2013

Yes, I understand that he plays for the Marlins and no one likes the Marlins. However, Yelich had a fantastic 2016, earning a Silver Slugger award and a spot on the USA World Baseball Classic roster. Brendan Tobin, a local radio host, underestimated him, stating that he would eat crow if Yelich hit 20 homeruns in 2016, and then Yelich hit 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qph95XxR2QM

He also hustles himself to death, as evidenced by the infamous catch where he dented the wall with his face (linked because huge).

He also also has a burgeoning bromance with Giancarlo Stanton, and is easy on the eyes.

I guess I just thought that his appeal, combined with his WBC exposure, would put him on more people's radar this year.

Player Who Got Zero Negative Votes That I Was Personally Most Shocked About

Noah Syndergaard
Team: New York Mets
Debut: May 12, 2015

Personally, I love Noah Syndergaard and probably always will, unless he does something particularly heinous down the line. That said, he seemed to have bought into his own hype this year. He spent the offseason bulking up to an irresponsible degree. He controversially refused an MRI, tore his lat in the top of the 2nd inning of his next start, and has been on the DL ever since. Additionally, he made comments toward Mets PR guy Jay Horwitz that didn't sit right with fans or the media (that I personally felt were overblown, but whatever).

Being the social media-savvy guy that he is, he issued a Twitter statement, appearing to have been humbled by his experiences, but I assumed Mets fans (and NL East detractors) would have held onto the grudge. I guess if people forgive Jose Reyes though, they'll easily forgive a lapse in maturity.

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/859245651296632832

kensei posted:

Oh no I was out of town all week and just found this thread. I'll vote next year...

You can always just post angrily about how everyone else is wrong when I start posting results :unsmith:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Who could hate Thor? Well probably some idiot New Yorkers who think he's soft or something. But he throws 100 mph and his nickname is Thor, I mean come on

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I hate Thor's hair and the fact that I drafted him for my fantasy team and he's spent most of the season on the DL, but that's not enough for me to put him on my hated list.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Maybe it's just cuz I don't care at all about the NL East, but I have a hard time thinking anybody could hate Thor or care at all about Yelich.

aside from maybe that vid where Yelich is very clearly enjoying a tasty snack

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I hate Thor's hair

wow

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I hate Thor's hair

Mods????

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Pussy Boss posted:

Who could hate Thor? Well probably some idiot New Yorkers who think he's soft or something. But he throws 100 mph and his nickname is Thor, I mean come on

The general fan reaction to his injury was pretty serious. People were angry because he was our best pitcher and his immaturity cost us a season.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I hate Thor's hair

It's certainly the worst of the Big Three.

Poque posted:

Maybe it's just cuz I don't care at all about the NL East, but I have a hard time thinking anybody could hate Thor or care at all about Yelich.

I never realized how serious my NL East bias was.

quote:

aside from maybe that vid where Yelich is very clearly enjoying a tasty snack

Link please

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The whole link is :nws: so it's hidden for your inconvenience. The video is removed but I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the deep web.

http://deadspin.com/man-who-may-or-may-not-be-christian-yelich-eats-a-butt-1783873362

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

The whole link is :nws: so it's hidden for your inconvenience. The video is removed but I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the deep web.

http://deadspin.com/man-who-may-or-may-not-be-christian-yelich-eats-a-butt-1783873362

gently caress, why can't I ever remember off the top of my head that the "snacking" incident happened? I still don't think it was him.

edit: nice ninja edit :ninja:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 30, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: nice ninja edit :ninja:

Yeah I don't know who I was thinking of but it wasn't deGrom.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Possibly Harvey. I'd disagree though, because I think it's slightly too soon to tell.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I hate Syndergaard cause that brush back pitch to start game 3 of the world series.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Yelich is a good player but I've not seen anything from him that demonstrates that he's funny or interesting or has anything going for him other than his unexceptional on-field ability, and if I'm picking 10 guys out of a league of 750 then that's not going to cut it.

(I'm not saying he's not funny or interesting, just that for 90% of MLB I have literally no idea about their personalities and it would take weeks of research to rectify that)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I think Yu Darvish is sexually attractive so i hope he got a vote or two

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have irrationally liked Christian Yelich for awhile now but I couldn't justify putting him on my top 10 over all the other great non-Cubs out there.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I think Yu Darvish is sexually attractive so i hope he got a vote or two

Yu Darvish got exactly one favorite vote, and it was not high enough to get him to the top 25. My condolences.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

You can always just post angrily about how everyone else is wrong when I start posting results :unsmith:

I'm gonna have to do the same thing just because I'm lazy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be pissed if Starlin Castro is once again robbed of his rightful place at #1

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Just to let you know why this inaugural post has been so slow to come, there is a 5-way tie for #25 most hated, and a 7-way tie for most loved. Of the 13 people represented, 12 of them got their spot with a single #3 vote. Of the 12, one of them was me. What this means is that there are 11 dudes who I mostly have no idea why you were so enthused/repulsed. I did what I could.

#25 Most Hated - 8 points

Jason Heyward
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: April 5, 2010

What's to hate? It is somewhat unclear. His struggles at the plate are well documented though, and this might be enough to earn a spot on the 2017 Hall of Shame since we're so light on ballots this year.

DJ LeMahieu
Team: Colorado Rockies
Debut: May 30, 2011

What's to hate? Brandon Belt has gone on record as saying that he wants to punch him in the face.

quote:

I hate him...A 6-foot-5 second baseman playing in shallow right field … he does it to me all the time. I mean, he’s a friend of mine. I know him. He’s a nice guy. I still want to punch him in the face.

I can't rule out the possibility that one of these ballots was submitted by Brandon Belt. He was the only one with multiple votes.

Miguel Cabrera
Team: Detroit Tigers
Debut: June 20, 2003

What's to hate? He's been slumping pretty hard this year, not showing any signs of stopping and not handling it gracefully.

Hunter Pence
Team: San Francisco Giants
Debut: April 28, 2007

What's to hate? Hate it or love it, Hunter Pence has an enormous personality. Perhaps his performance this year isn't enough to make up for what can be seen by some fun-haters as irritating.

José Bautista
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: April 4, 2004

What's to hate? Outspoken to an offputting degree, and it can come across as whiny. Combine that with the fact that he's struck out 108 times this season (his career high is 116) and you've got a pretty good recipe for unlikability.

Current Rankings

quote:

25.Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 3, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hunter Pence is clearly Bawfuls.

Who the hell hates Jason Heyward? Even with his bad offense I still love the dude, I mean come on that speech!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

unfathomable that anyone cold hate jason heyward unless they are an insane cardinals fan who has time traveled from April 2016.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

unfathomable that anyone cold hate jason heyward unless they are an insane cardinals fan who has time traveled from April 2016.

Not me! Voting is over so I can post my ballot, including my reasons. Some just-misses for me were Hunter Pence and Adrian Beltre on the favorites side and Brett Cecil on the hated side.

Favorite
1. Carlos Martinez. Adorable, loves the game, pitches like a star. And of course, SO much fun in the dugout.
2. Yadier Molina. Because he's Yadi. He's the heart and soul of the Cardinals, he's one of the best defensive catchers in the history of the game and he truly loves baseball. If he doesn't make the Hall of Fame I may riot.
3. Adam Wainwright. He's aging, he's clearly lost a step when it comes to his pitching. He's no longer the staff ace but he's still a legitimately great guy who's given the Cardinals some amazing pitching over the years. He also will talk to fans (Cardinals or otherwise) nonstop from the dugout and is just charming.
4. Collin McHugh. Because gently caress you, Donald Trump.
5. Dexter Fowler. Great clubhouse addition to the Cardinals, even if he's a bit of an overpay. I also feel like I'd have a lot of fun talking with him about my pro bono work for travelers affected by the bullshit travel ban.
6. Jon Jay. Played for the Cardinals, scored the game-tying run in Game 6 in the 10th. By all accounts just a great guy, always has times for the fans and has an active interest in the labor side of things. As a huge fan of Curt Flood I can appreciate that.
7. Albert Pujols. One of the greatest ever, still putting up numbers. I'm glad we're not paying him anymore but I hope he gets to 700 HR.
8. Javier Baez. Loves baseball, had the no-look tag in the WBC, seems to have amazing plays all the time (when he's not striking out all the time).
9. Joe Kelly. Former Cardinal. Eternal goofball.
10. Adam Jones. Seems like a nice guy and raised an uncomfortable issue in a very straightforward way.

Hated
1. Ryan Braun. I hate Ryan Braun? I must be an anti-Semitic Cubs fan!
2. Johnny Cueto. Until he pays a large lump sum to Jason LaRue I will maintain that he should be banned from baseball for ending a man's career by kicking him in the head repeatedly while in a brawl.
3. Aroldis Chapman. Domestic abuser.
4. Jose Ryes. Domestic abuser.
5. Matt Bush. Legit crippled a guy and settled out of court, now he's making a ton more but the victim can't get more money.
6. Jake Arrieta. rear end in a top hat vocal Trump supporter, plus he's a Cub.
7. Trevor Bauer. rear end in a top hat vocal Trump supporter.
8. Daniel Murphy. I don't agree with his homophobic lifestyle.
9. Chris Coghlan. Dirty slides.
10. Chase Utley. Dirty slide.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#25 Most Loved - 8 points

Kevin Pillar
Debut: August 14, 2013

What's to love? Kevin Pillar is simply a delight to watch. He is an endless fount of fielding highlights, and after going 3 for 32 in the 2016 postseason he has worked enough kinks out of his bat to earn the lead-off spot.

https://twitter.com/thejaysnation/status/861747997482340356

After using a homophobic slur again Braves pitcher Jason Motte after taking offense to what he perceived as quick-pitching, he issued what might possibly be the most sincere public apology I've ever seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/KPILLAR4/status/865269119192633345

While his actions were inexcusable, the realness of his apology -- combined with the donation of his forfeited salary (he was suspended for two days) to PFLAG and You Can Play -- have redeemed him somewhat in the eyes of fans.

Devon Travis
Debut: April 6, 2015

What's to love? I apologize for my lack of knowledge of what goes on in the non-NYC AL East. Devon Travis seems like a likable enough guy who can not keep himself off of the disabled list. He had shoulder problems throughout 2015, missed most of the playoffs in 2016 with knee issues, and has been on the DL with even more knee problems since June 6. Hopefully he can piece himself back together next year.

Adam Wainwright
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: September 11, 2005

What's to love? He basically strikes me as a nice version of Madison Bumgarner. Being one month shy of 36 years old, he's not nearly as lethal on the mound as MadBum these days (or as his 2014 All-Star self, to be fair), but with a career ERA of 3.27 and only four DL stints under his belt, Cards fans can still count on him to get the job done.

Jean Segura
Team: Seattle Mariners
Debut: July 24, 2012

What's to love? The greatest actor in MLB history.

https://twitter.com/goodfundies/status/891151203211644928

He's also the second-hittingest guy in the AL at the moment, with a batting average of .323, so he has that going for him.

Starling Marte
Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Debut: July 26, 2012

What's to love? All is apparently forgiven in the wake of Starling Marte's PED controversy! Marte returned to the Pirates lineup on July 18 after serving an 80-game suspension for testing positive for Nandrolone, and fans welcomed him back with open arms.

George Springer
Team: Houston Astros
Debut: April 16, 2014

What's to love? George Springer is having a career year. He made his first All-Star appearance this year, where, despite having dealt with a stutter for all his life, he gave a memorable on-field interview.

quote:

I can’t spread a message to kids and adults if I’m not willing to put myself out there. I understand I’m gonna stutter. I don’t care. It is what it is. It’s not gonna stop me from talking or having fun.

Andrew Miller
Team: Cleveland Indians
Debut: August 30, 2006

What's to love? Deadly sliders.

Least offensive pitchface in the AL.

Handsome as gently caress.

The long lean 2016 ALCS MVP and two-time All-Star is dearly missed here in New York, or at the very least, in my apartment. :allears:

Current Rankings

quote:

25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 3, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Hunter Pence is clearly Bawfuls.
Yeah my hate for him has been well documented. He's got no business being as good at baseball as he was for several years there and I'm glad he's bad now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Who the hell hates Jason Heyward? Even with his bad offense I still love the dude, I mean come on that speech!

#Trader

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I will fess up as the Miggy voter. I realize it doesn't actually make a lot sense because, despite about a decade of crushing in the central, he hasn't been that good against the Royals.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I forgot about Matt Buuuush

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I forgot about Matt Buuuush

Ahem.

Pancakes posted:

One of my two favorite Cubs other than Poque. Also a friendly reminder for those looking for someone to hate still: Matt Bush exists and that dude whose head he ran over isn't seeing a dime from his major league salary.

In a post that specifically mentioned you, even.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I stop reading when I get to my name.

E: DJ LaMahieu hated is confusing since he kept Daniel Murphy from a batting title

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm a big Jays homer and even I can't understand why Travis is on someone's list (unless it's because he's a babe). He's been out so much with injuries that thinking about him just bums me out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Berzerker posted:

I'm a big Jays homer and even I can't understand why Travis is on someone's list (unless it's because he's a babe).

Generally speaking, when I can't figure out why someone likes a player after extensive Googling, I just assume it's babe-hood. I did the same thing when Darwin Barney made the list last year. I'd never even heard of the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is a weird favorites list, so far. Baseball SAS is confirmed to be weirder than ever, I guess.

It's going to be fun to see how many players make both lists.

I voted for LeMahieu. For one, he blossomed after leaving the Cubs where he looked like he was going to be a shittier version of Darwin Barney. He profiled as a light hitting player who didn't have the arm for the left side of the infield. Secondly, he gets respect for his bat when he has a career .667 OPS away from that monstrosity of a ballpark that some how inflates home runs AND extra base hits AND batting average all at the same time. Good luck to you, future starting 2nd baseman for a garbage team when you get too expensive for Colorado to hang onto.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 1, 2017

• Locked thread