Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

DS literally uses the save system from Wizardry 4, only easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Orv posted:

But Dark Souls does have roguelike elements that are a large part of its overall mechanical makeup. It's not actually a roguelike, and I think that's what they're saying.

Items randomly drop requiring grinding for certain things and invasions add an element of randomness but aside from that Dark Souls might literally be the most opposite thing of a roguelike I can think of, it's an action RPG where everything's been carefully and deliberately placed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Here is a checklist to help you folks figure out what a roguelike is and isn't :v:

e: Dark Souls is a Roguelikelike

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
but it's hard! like gay to death!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Game developers, please make cutscenes skippable if your checkpoint puts the player back past multiple of them.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I get Roguelikelikelike

e: v:grin:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

According to that it's roguelikelikelike :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love Dark Souls to death (:v:) but it doesn't have any roguelike elements. It might scratch the same itch but that's about it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jamfrost posted:

Game developers, please make cutscenes skippable if your checkpoint puts the player back past multiple of them.

Whatcha playin?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jesus christ nerds, it doesn't matter.

Unrelated, I think somebody might have left a comment in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Orv posted:

Jesus christ nerds, it doesn't matter.

Unrelated, I think somebody might have left a comment in.

How is that anyway? I assume bad because it's a free to play FPS but who knows maybe someone finally figured it out after all this time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

How is that anyway? I assume bad because it's a free to play FPS but who knows maybe someone finally figured it out after all this time.

Remember things like Warrock and Combat Arms, the ten trillion P2W F2P FPS games of the mid-2000s? It's just a fancier one of those. I already uninstalled it during my second match when a guy showed up with a shotgun that one-shot people across most of the map and upon checking was hilarious amounts of monopoly money or a still decent chunk of real money.

E: If I were to recommend a F2P shooter on Steam I'd probably recommend Dirty Bomb, which is actually pretty decent despite being a Splash Damage game other than Wolf:ET, but even that comes with some caveats. Caveats like "A Good Version of Brink, but still with the things that might imply."

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 30, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FC4, probably, because that's a thing that happens there. Often. (Well, it does, assuming you quit the game)

I generally wouldn't ask for help in this thread, but whatever - a whole bunch of people used to ask for help with hexcells, so let's jump of this bridge.

How the hell am I supposed to get to this question mark? Too high for a buzzer, and I can't seem to get to any high spots around / near it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

A Chinese developed metroidvania. I won't name it since it's a testing period, but hmm. Hmm. I might have to switch to playing with the keyboard since it doesn't like InputMapper and my PS4 controller for some reason. I'll need to fiddle with it tomorrow. I want to taste its skill tree.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

How the hell am I supposed to get to this question mark? Too high for a buzzer, and I can't seem to get to any high spots around / near it.

It's been too long for me to remember exactly, but there are several PoIs around the edge of the map that are tied to semi-large cave systems that have entrances nowhere near the mark itself. I assume that's one of them.

It might also be one of the ones you can't access until you finish the Shangri-La stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dark Souls is a game with perma-undeath.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Orv posted:

Remember things like Warrock and Combat Arms, the ten trillion P2W F2P FPS games of the mid-2000s? It's just a fancier one of those. I already uninstalled it during my second match when a guy showed up with a shotgun that one-shot people across most of the map and upon checking was hilarious amounts of monopoly money or a still decent chunk of real money.

lol yep, that sounds about right, especially for any of these games that actively advertise how not pay-to-win they are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished Wolfenstein: New Order. It's a fun game if short, and the trailer for New Colossus makes a hell of a lot more sense to me now :sweatdrop:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

Just finished Wolfenstein: New Order. It's a fun game if short, and the trailer for New Colossus makes a hell of a lot more sense to me now :sweatdrop:

Now do Old Blood.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Does it do anything about Jensen's brain damage during cutscenes?

There are less cut scenes like that in general, I remember more radio calls like in the first game and face to face conversations.

There's only one notable (brainless) one I can think of towards the end of the game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
pubg is my favorite roguelike of 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Long shot, but does anyone remember a parkour video game that was in development some time ago, I believe the intent was for it to be procedural, and then it just never came out? Something about a tower.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

nachos posted:

pubg is my favorite roguelike of 2017

:rant:

(...also on a pubg related thing I've never played multiplayer-only games before but I see funny clips from it and I feel oddly tempted? like, it actually looks fun to play, which is wild!)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

(...also on a pubg related thing I've never played multiplayer-only games before but I see funny clips from it and I feel oddly tempted? like, it actually looks fun to play, which is wild!)

PUBG is great. If you have Arma 3, try the Battle Royale mod to see if you actually want that kind of gameplay but less janky.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jerusalem posted:

I played TNO and the trailer for TNC confused the hell out of me since I was certain BJ died at the end of TNO. Did it play that way to you?

I even remember the devs saying TNO was meant as a send-off to Wolfenstein and not necessarily a reboot, and then it went and did really well so of course there's sequels.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can do solo queues if you wanna play by yourself.

It's a really fun game.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Long shot, but does anyone remember a parkour video game that was in development some time ago, I believe the intent was for it to be procedural, and then it just never came out? Something about a tower.

Dead Core has you platforming/free running up a tower, but I don't think it's procedural.

EDIT - Wait, is it maybe this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/535170/Climbtime/

Looks like garbage, but...

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 30, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Dead Core has you platforming/free running up a tower, but I don't think it's procedural.

EDIT - Wait, is it maybe this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/535170/Climbtime/

Looks like garbage, but...

No it had like a, shaded fantasy aesthetic, it'd been in development forever and they kept occasionally releasing dev blogs but somewhere along the way I completely forgot the name and I'm mostly trying to make sure I'm not crazy at this point.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Orv posted:

No it had like a, shaded fantasy aesthetic, it'd been in development forever and they kept occasionally releasing dev blogs but somewhere along the way I completely forgot the name and I'm mostly trying to make sure I'm not crazy at this point.

Was it Spire? That game the Dustforce devs were working on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

Was it Spire? That game the Dustforce devs were working on.

That's the one, thanks. Now I feel only mildly insane.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xander77 posted:

I generally wouldn't ask for help in this thread, but whatever - a whole bunch of people used to ask for help with hexcells, so let's jump of this bridge.

First, where does the nearby glider get you?
Second, along the edges of the map, there are quite a few of those spots where you have to start from a nearby POI — but still a decent distance away — and then grapple-swing your way along the cliff face to gradually get higher and closer. I'd start looking by the lake/waterfall/village thingamajig to the northwest.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Noticed a little bit ago that E.Y.E. is $9.99 now. Wonder why that happened, guess the mystery of whether my laptop will run it will remain unsolved even longer now.

Noticed it because that game is still the best selling game on my wish list,. So weirdly curious about acquiring brosouf. Think I'm more curious imagining what game might unseat it for top place.

Naganted fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 30, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Anti-Hero posted:

Guys, Call of Juarez Gunslinger is really good and I'm glad I listened to sales thread goons in getting it.

Good! i shill hard for that most every sale. surprising how many people have not played it and it's cheap.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Xaris posted:

Good! i shill hard for that most every sale. surprising how many people have not played it and it's cheap.

I believe you are the shill who sold me on it. Well done.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Did some reviews of Life is Strange and Resident Evil 6.

One I thought was real good and the other was real bad, and I'm sure you can predict which is which unless you're being snarky about it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just about to start to play Prey. I've seen many posts about the game talking about hacking coffee cups or something like that.
Anything I should know before starting, or is going in blind the best way to start?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kragger99 posted:

Just about to start to play Prey. I've seen many posts about the game talking about hacking coffee cups or something like that.
Anything I should know before starting, or is going in blind the best way to start?

Go in blind.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Xander77 posted:

If I recall correctly you should go eastward of that point, where there are a series of ledges to climb up and cliffs to jump across. It was pretty tricky, but I think that's how I got to it.

Quill fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 30, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

Game developers, please make cutscenes skippable

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kragger99 posted:

Go in blind, but maybe don't pick the highest difficulty level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5KO43Y_c0w