Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I just finished The Darkside Detective. Good game, but way too short for an adventure game. Night In The Woods is my new standard for how long a game story should be - this was about half of that.

I bought it for $10 - it's worth about $6 in terms of total enjoyment? The story, art, music, and gameplay are great but the game is just too short and too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bad day posted:

I just finished The Darkside Detective. Good game, but way too short for an adventure game. Night In The Woods is my new standard for how long a game story should be - this was about half of that.

I bought it for $10 - it's worth about $6 in terms of total enjoyment? The story, art, music, and gameplay are great but the game is just too short and too easy.

Thanks for this, I was wondering about it. Wait for a good sale then.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It's definitely a good game. It's just short.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bad day posted:

night in the woods took like a decade to make, it's a little unfair to expect that from everything

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
A pretty difficult platformer, DYE, is on sale for $3.39 right now. It's pretty cool. Levels start out black and white. Dye collectables placed in the level add color to them once collected. There's leaderboards but you have to collect all the dye in the level for your time to register. That's not necessarily a bad thing. There's also hard versions of each level and unlockable challenge levels. Lots of elements of Super Meat Boy, some elements of Stealth Bastard Deluxe, and a little bit of The End is Nigh. If you were disappointed in The End is Nigh like I was, DYE might be a better substitute for you.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Soul Glo posted:

I played TNO and the trailer for TNC confused the hell out of me since I was certain BJ died at the end of TNO. Did it play that way to you?

Some of the promotional images for The New Colossus appear to show BJ's head attached to someone else's body, which might be how they get around that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Soul Glo posted:

I played TNO and the trailer for TNC confused the hell out of me since I was certain BJ died at the end of TNO. Did it play that way to you?

I don't know if they changed anything about the ending in a patch, but it certainly felt open-ended to me. While BJ does call for the nuke to be fired, you don't actually see it happen that I recall, and after the end credits are over you can clearly hear a helicopter, suggesting they might have come back for him.

Is The Old Blood a sequel/prequel/standalone?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
old blood, i'm told, is the events leading up to tno. whether you're into that kinda thing is up to you. i was kinda hoping for an alternate history, the first mission plays out as normal until the very end and the rest of the game is going after deathshead in the late 40s. but it wasn't, and i'm not into prequels, so...

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 31, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Open ended be damned. BJ is BJ. You think something as minor as a nuclear strike on his location would be enough to stop him?

He operates under Doomguy rules yo. 90's action heroes don't stop for nothing.

e: Also TNO literally has a little ending tidbit where you as BJ hear the helicopter turning back around to fly into the induction zone to grab you. Of course you survive.

Now surviving WELL is another story. You start TNC in a wheelchair barely able to function because of the blast, and it looks like you either have to get a new body through some weird science poo poo or taking the magic suit as your options for 2. But you survive the blast for sure.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 31, 2017

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Prequel. Kinda boring in some parts.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Beat Titanfall 2. Good game. Get it if you like shooty campaigns.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

old blood, i'm told, is the events leading up to tno. whether you're into that kinda thing is up to you. i was kinda hoping for an alternate history, the first mission plays out as normal until the very end and the rest of the game is going after deathshead in the late 40s. but it wasn't, and i'm not into prequels, so...

Where on earth did you get that idea?

Anyway The Old Blood is definitely not as good as The New Order, but if you finished Order and still want to play more Wolfenstien (not surprising), then Blood will scratch that itch for you. It also does a couple of things better than Order, like the perk system.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ok this is a good game

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm itching for something new; is there anything on My Wishlist that pops out as a game I really should take a look at? I've been looking over my list (and realizing that, poo poo, I have a lot of survival games wishlisted), and Oxygen Not Included, Empyrion - Galactic Survival, Evoland 2, and Another Brick in the Mall seems like the ones I'm most interested in pulling the trigger and/or not waiting for sales.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok this is a good game

nice eggtitties

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I'm itching for something new; is there anything on My Wishlist that pops out as a game I really should take a look at? I've been looking over my list (and realizing that, poo poo, I have a lot of survival games wishlisted), and Oxygen Not Included, Empyrion - Galactic Survival, Evoland 2, and Another Brick in the Mall seems like the ones I'm most interested in pulling the trigger and/or not waiting for sales.

You can take watch_dogs 1 off your list, 2 is just better in every way and (most importantly) ditches the redpill niceguy generic white dude protagonist for literally anyone else in the sequel.

Space Hulk Ascension is XCOM, but on a Space Hulk. If you absolutely must get more 40k in your life, keep it, but XCOM is just better.

South Park: The Stick of Truth was the best RPG I played in 2015, but it tends to go on pretty steep sales, so maybe wait for the sequel to drop and there'll be a sale on the original.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Open ended be damned. BJ is BJ. You think something as minor as a nuclear strike on his location would be enough to stop him?

He operates under Doomguy rules yo. 90's action heroes don't stop for nothing.

Case in point from earlier in the game:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Floodkiller posted:

How did he only lose like 20~ health? :psyduck:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
There are like three separate moments in that game where BJ gets into stab fights with Nazis where they both stab each other multiple times.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

mooblettes

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Thanks to Xander77 for the coupon for Pressure Overdrive.

I got a coupon for 20% off Car Mechanic 2018 if anyone wants it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Floodkiller posted:

But he was grabbing that hand.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It was fake hand.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scalding Coffee posted:

But he was grabbing that hand.

You are not going to save the world from Nazis with that attitude.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Floodkiller posted:

Haha, I laughed my rear end off every time that happened in the game. It happens A LOT! :haw:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
You must not have much rear end left then.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Every single character I've met so far in Pyre has been incredible.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 31, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

How did he only lose like 20~ health? :psyduck:

A better question is why Nazis keep trying to stab him. BJ is literally immune to stabbing. He's unstabbable.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Every single character I've met so far in Pyre has been incredible.

Don't forget Edgelord Doggo, Grandpa Doggo and Imp Buddy.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So anyone got any feedback or thoughts on Immortal Planet? Ronin was an alright game with a few rough edges and this seems like it would be a bit deeper than that as it seems to want to be isometric Dark Souls. But it doesn't have many reviews, though the few it does seem to be mostly positive.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

VolticSurge posted:

Don't forget Edgelord Doggo, Grandpa Doggo and Imp Buddy.

I love the drive-imps so much and getting one as a party member made me incredibly happy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is Kingsway an idler, a roguelike, both or neither?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

From what I hear it's a roguelike.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Demicol posted:

From what I hear it's a roguelike.

Yep. It's a roguelike where the gimmick is window management. Pretty clever, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDfDzmeTgFE

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

Randomized map, not an idler or super-roguelike. It's most like FTL. Go around to locations on a map and do things, sometimes get quests, overall objective is to finish the game before a time limit. The idea is you go around leveling up and solving the endings before the world gets too hard. You start on the west end of the map and moving east you'll find harder enemies, but if you wait too long an FTL-like thing happens where the entire world gets harder until eventually you run out of time and a boss fights you that is basically unkillable. It takes probably about 3-4 hours to get to that point.

It's designed around getting better with each character death since you can unlock more poo poo as and you can keep one item from each dead character.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

discworld is all I read posted:

So anyone got any feedback or thoughts on Immortal Planet? Ronin was an alright game with a few rough edges and this seems like it would be a bit deeper than that as it seems to want to be isometric Dark Souls. But it doesn't have many reviews, though the few it does seem to be mostly positive.

I've been playing for a few hours, not really enough to give any in depth opinions, but enough to know that I've really enjoyed what I've played so far:

Pros:
- Combat is tightly designed, and enjoyable
- Good feeling of progress, enemies who initially give you a lot of trouble are suddenly dead in a few moments because you've gotten more skillful
- They added a Stun System to combat, where you can stun enemies by doing certain moves at certain times. This lets you do cool tricks, like dodging past a charging enemy, turning round, stunning them, then pushing them off a cliff.
- Atmosphere and story telling all seem up to snuff
- Nice variety of enemies leads to cool tactical situations. Some enemies drop land mines, others make fire hazards, so positioning is important.
- You can trick enemies into killing themselves/each other. For example, an enemy can drop a mine, and you can trigger the mine in such a way that it stuns them and not you.

Cons:
- Environments are not very varied, I frequently get confused thinking I've been into a room already, when it's actually a new room that just shares the same look
- I think it might be quite short? The download is tiny (~250mb) and there are only 8 achievements.
- You can switch weapon modes (like Bloodbourne) but it's not clear what difference it makes. The damage and stamina use per hit changes, but it doesn't really feel like it's made any real difference (I've only used one weapon though, others may be different)
- 1 boss got recycled and used twice (though with subtle differences), no idea if this is a one off or a running theme.

Neither:
- Really unforgiving, compared to DS1. Your Estus flask equivalent has fewer charges (1 by default) and the stun system means one mistake can be fatal if you're unlucky.

Like I said, it's only been 2 hours, so you might want to take some of this with a grain of salt.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Once again, gently caress you, Ubisoft. LET PEOPLE SAVE IN YOUR loving GAMES.

I just crashed near the end of a long mission. Oh, that means I left the game while playing through the mission, and will need to restart it.

Eat shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, Ubisoft designers.

Edit - why the gently caress do I have the usual mission control radio, but have to drive to the middle of nowhere in order to the instructions to start a mission on the other side of the map?

Editx2: Holy poo poo, I will NEVER be able to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC5f-ChLiA0WiFnyx78miTOw?videos

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 31, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's a roguelike that's less fun than an idler.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I just got Dead Cells, ga drat its pretty great. I love developing characters while finding loot upgrades. Previously I've gotten into Diablo, Battle Brothers, FTL, renowned explorers, binding of issac, PoE, darkest dungeon, spelunky.

Does anyone know about better loot finding/character upgrading games? For instance, I love minecraft but mainly for exploring the world and mining diamonds. I just want an open world skinner box game... just one more chest... one more dungeon and upgrade and I'll stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You ever play Terraria?