Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

YeahTubaMike posted:

That episode was dated from the second it premiered.

As much as I hate it it was honestly hilarious. The "turn the sun on" part was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BioEnchanted posted:

On the gay panic thing I thought Cheers did it fairly interestingly - Diane, to prove a point as she was sick of their bigotry about it, stated that there were two gay dudes in the bar, but kept who it was to herself to watch the other character's self-destruct over it, with all the characters thinking that it was the obvious two guys who were there together were the "offending" couple. However it turned out that the gay guys had actually hid themselves in the panicking crowd, and that they had not been suspected once. Making a good point about why stereotyping is harmful and counterproductive, and that homosexuals are just like everyone else?

All in the Family did an interesting twist waaaaaay back in 1971 with the episode "Judging Books By Covers". Mike's college buddy, an effeminate man, comes to visit. Archie, of course, believes him to be "a fruit". Meanwhile, Archie's old buddy, a former football player who owns a camera shop Mike's friend's frequents, turns out to be gay. Archie does not handle the truth well when Mike tells him this.

Archie confronts his old friend with this and and is shocked to learn the truth.

Gay men on 70s sitcoms did tend to be the "swishy" type. There was a semi-regular character on Barney Miller with this attribute, but was generally treated with respect by most of the detectives.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Many shows from as late as the late 2000s have jokes about trans people that seem really out of place today. 30 Rock has, in its first two seasons, a lot of jokes about trans women-- mostly from Tracy, but once from Liz. It's very out of place in an otherwise pretty top notch show.

bagshotrow posted:

The episode of the Simpsons where Homer thinks Bart is gay aged pretty badly; Homer's bigotry didn't seem that extreme at the time, but in 2017 he just comes off as a complete bastard.

Now that I think about it, that was 20 years ago, and 20 years before that, the best known TV dad was Archie Bunker

The irony is that "Homer's Phobia," the episode you're talking about, was remarkably progressive for the time-- John Waters guest starred, and they made pretty positive portrayals of gay folks in the episode itself. This was around the time that Will and Grace was just coming on the air, and not far after Ellen's coming out on her show. This was one of the leading edge in changing folks' mind on LGB folks. (The, uh, T is still in the process of coming.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The 70s sitcom Soap was applauded for having an openly gay character (Billy Crystal's Jody Dallas). They did a lovely job of his character arc by ultimately abandoning his homosexuality.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most Kevin Smith movies with a "message" age poorly. Chasing Amy is real bad.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kevin Smith is aging poorly

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Most Kevin Smith movies with a "message" age poorly. Chasing Amy is real bad.

It was incredibly progressive for 1997.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Not sure if this fits the OP but I can't imagine watching even five minutes of The Cosby Show today.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pick posted:

A huge number of early Simpsons episodes are reaaaaaally uncomfortably racist.

Early Simpsons wasn't faultless, and they had lots of casual trans jokes such as Otto thinking Patty used to be a man, but for the late 80s/early 90s they were progressive. Matt Groening would add notes to avoid having karaoke bars be racist:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bobservo/status/758442670427557889?lang=en

We've been going through King of the Hill and overall one of my all time favorites, but there are some rough patches. In "Junkie Business" a drug addict is hired at Strickland Propane and Hank is unable to have him fired because of the Americans With Disabilities Act. The episode has funny moments, but it is painful to see the show treating the ADA as a terrible burden for a small business because of a strawman addict. Especially when all the Strickland employees begin faking ailments to not work.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Early Simpsons wasn't faultless, and they had lots of casual trans jokes such as Otto thinking Patty used to be a man, but for the late 80s/early 90s they were progressive. Matt Groening would add notes to avoid having karaoke bars be racist:

A lot? I can only think of the joke you mentioned, and the one about how Homer's cousin Frank joined a cult, had gender reassignment surgery, & is now known as "Mother Shabubu".

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can't think of anything specific, but many South Park episodes that focused on what was the news event or celebrity of the moment have probably aged badly.

South Park episodes are either timeless or feel horribly dated the second they air. The episode where it turns out earth is a giant reality show or AWESOME-O are just as good as when they first aired. The season where everyone goes to Whole Foods just to feel good about themselves seems weird, dated and unrelatable to anyone who has walked into a whole foods, and that Whole Foods episode is like nearly a decade newer than the other two I mentioned. Episodes based on celebrities or general current events aged OK since the references get buried in broad absurdities. I even kinda like the Manbearpig episode since it's so well executed, even though the message is profoundly, ridiculously retarded the political aspect is relatively understated. At least compared to weird King of the Hill episodes about how the ADA is bad at a surface level.

Really though no South Park episode will age as badly as the one about how saying "human being" is ok because "it means different things to different people, so it's not necessarily homophobic", that episode was actively condescending and judgemental to anyone who gets offended by people casually saying "human being". Unless I missed something where at the end the episode points out that specific words meaning different things to different people is why "human being" is universally considered a slur in the first place.
Just to contextualize this episode a bit (as this thread has shown, something considered progressive in the 90's can come across as tone-deaf or worse in a modern environment) it aired after this bit from the show Louie devastated its argument so thoroughly that the writers on South Park should be genuinely humiliated that they based an episode around it.

Bifner McDoogle has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Jul 31, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bagshotrow posted:

The episode of the Simpsons where Homer thinks Bart is gay aged pretty badly; Homer's bigotry didn't seem that extreme at the time, but in 2017 he just comes off as a complete bastard.

Now that I think about it, that was 20 years ago, and 20 years before that, the best known TV dad was Archie Bunker

My girlfriend hadn't seen any Simpsons at all until last year. The first one she saw (happened to be on TV at the time) was that episode. I had to tell her after that Homer wasn't usually a bigoted character, in fact that was pretty out of character for him, usually he's just innocently overwhelmingly dumb instead of offensively.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Heh, I remember seeing this, along with the occasional "why doesn't he just let the creators write what they want" (:v:) and "I'm mad because he didn't use a term that hadn't been invented yet" responses.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I love this one from Friends, after Chandler buys a new Laptop

Chandler: All right, check out this bad boy. Twelve megabytes of RAM, 500 megabyte hard drive. Built-in spreadsheet capabilities and a modem that transmits at over 28,000 BPS.
Phoebe: Wow. What are you gonna use it for?
Chandler: Games and stuff.

I don't actually know if that was impressive or not for 1995.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
South Park normally sucks but I was surprised at how nice the yaoi episode was to everybody.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pick posted:

South Park

Pick posted:

nice to everybody

:confused:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
A few years ago I watched season 1 of Seinfeld for the first time since the 90s and I my ex said I went on a long rant about how it was extremely sexist and transphobic and the like.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The episode about yaoi, it was actually pretty nice to all the characters and everyone involved :shrug:.

also it's funny as hell

"Tweek x Craig" is the one

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Golden Girls were pretty progressive, but the pilot with the gay housekeeper was really awkward.

I was going through a box of old VHS tapes a year ago, stuff that had been taped off TV in the 1980s. There was an episode of Danny Thomas' last attempt at a hurrah, a show called One Big Family.

There isn't much information about the show (to the point that I have no idea what episode I watched), but the gist was that Thomas was Jake, a semi-retired comedian who had moved in with his grandkids. The parents of the grandkids were dead, but the oldest child was old enough to have a spouse and was taking care of the younger siblings. Grandpa Jake was there to help out.

In the episode, a teenage granddaughter had gotten a job working for one of Jake's buddies, who ran a restaurant and nightclub. The buddy turned out to be a total prick, sexist and verbally abusive, to the point he was chasing around the young hostesses.

The hostesses got fed up and went on strike. It just so happened to be the night that the buddy had invited Jake to do a stand-up routine. He sees his granddaughter striking in front of the building and she fills him on what's going on. She begs him not to perform.

The solution? Jake talks to his friend. Turns out that the guy didn't really mean it and agreed to think about the hostesses' demands of basic humanity. Jake performs and the granddaughter went back to work.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Sweevo posted:

I think the X-files holds up quite well in this regard. Mulder and Scully both have phones and use them all the time, and the writers have to keep inventing reasons why they can't use them - just as modern TV has to.

the episode where they go into a video game has still managed to age really badly despite being rear end when it came out

client
Aug 19, 2010

lol everytime

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Edit: nvm I am an idiot lol

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't

I love the lady's cringey expression when she sees the clip of the secondlife sex club, cause that was pretty much my face during the whole video

In season 3 of Lost, Jack is told that George W. Bush was re-elected president, and he scoffs as if it's inconceivable that American voters would do something so ridiculous. Definitely a scene that gets a slightly different reaction now

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1bJVoMoOc

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Monty Python had some jokes with "alright ducky, hello sailor" gay stereotypes, sometimes played by Graham Chapman, who was gay himself. I always wonder if that was ever uncomfortable, or if that was just the way things worked for him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The gold jokes still hold, but a lot of 90s Simpsons relies on more pop culture references than you remember, especially if you watch the versions unedited for syndication. The Critic even moreso.

I'm watching Deep Space Nine for the first time, and in the later seasons there's a lot of dated looking 90s laser tag tech. Even by star trek standards it looks awful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think reliance on being topical is why shows like Murphy Brown aren't exactly big cultural touchstones today despite running for 10 years and winning Candice Bergen five Emmys in a row.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

client posted:

lol everytime

To be fair, take the resolution down by 50% and that would look like half the CD-ROM games made in the 90s. It looks ridiculous, but that's what games looked like in my day. Now get off my lawn.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Community Christmas episode where Abed has a mental break and see everything as claymation, and the plot is about all the other characters trying to help him was novel enough on air but is terminally obnoxious now. Like a lot of meta humor it comes across as really self satisfied and thinking it is very clever.

The Christmas episode with the Glee club in that show holds up better until the third act, because while the general Glee mockery is dated the concept of recruitment-as-bodysnatching is still funny. "I know the stakes are incredibly low but that somehow makes them even scarier" sums them up.

I wonder how the Law and Order parody plays today to people unfamiliar with the franchise. The episode is funny on its own, but must seen really surreal if you've never seen a Dick Wolf or Speed Weed show.

Also everything about Abed is insufferable now. The character was progressive in 2009 but seems really stereotypical now and the show breaks its back to keep the character from being challenged.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

each and every episode of Friends that includes Chandler

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of Friends jokes were "CHANDLER might be GAY!" weren't they?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

Monty Python had some jokes with "alright ducky, hello sailor" gay stereotypes, sometimes played by Graham Chapman, who was gay himself. I always wonder if that was ever uncomfortable, or if that was just the way things worked for him.

At the time the show was aired, it would only have been about​ five years since you could be jailed for having gay sex -- so their showing authority figures (especially traditionally conservative ones like judges and policemen, who'd have been the ones doing the jailing and the sentencing) as gay stereotypes would have been pretty transgressive at the time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

davidspackage posted:

From everything I've heard and read about Chapman, he would do whatever it took to make people laugh.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

South Park episodes are all out of date, as we now have the concept of 'writing jokes' in TV shows. Shows with no humorous elements at all, like South Park are very old fashioned.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lot of Friends jokes were "CHANDLER might be GAY!" weren't they?

could [blank] BE any more [blank]

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mind the walrus posted:

The Community Christmas episode where Abed has a mental break and see everything as claymation, and the plot is about all the other characters trying to help him was novel enough on air but is terminally obnoxious now. Like a lot of meta humor it comes across as really self satisfied and thinking it is very clever.

The Christmas episode with the Glee club in that show holds up better until the third act, because while the general Glee mockery is dated the concept of recruitment-as-bodysnatching is still funny. "I know the stakes are incredibly low but that somehow makes them even scarier" sums them up.

I wonder how the Law and Order parody plays today to people unfamiliar with the franchise. The episode is funny on its own, but must seen really surreal if you've never seen a Dick Wolf or Speed Weed show.

Also everything about Abed is insufferable now. The character was progressive in 2009 but seems really stereotypical now and the show breaks its back to keep the character from being challenged.

Community suffered a lot from NBC firing Dan Harmon at the end of season 3 and several of the seasoned writers walking off in protest. (That's why Starburns "dies".) All the actual development Harmon wanted to do was replaced by going back to the episodic "zaniness" of the first season in season 4, season 5 was Harmon trying to prove to NBC that he could still do the job they wanted him to, and season 6 was Harmon trying to prove to Yahoo that he could recoup their investment.

I've never knowingly seen a Dick Wolf or Speed Weed show (I don't even know what Speed Weed is), and I thought "Lupine Urology" was funny.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm watching Deep Space Nine for the first time, and in the later seasons there's a lot of dated looking 90s laser tag tech. Even by star trek standards it looks awful.

Where? I thought DS9's sets and props didn't suffer too badly from Star Trek's futuristic tech problems because it's a running joke that the station is outdated Cardassian tech. (That said, ST trying to predict future tech will never not be hilarious.)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

queserasera posted:

Where? I thought DS9's sets and props didn't suffer too badly from Star Trek's futuristic tech problems because it's a running joke that the station is outdated Cardassian tech. (That said, ST trying to predict future tech will never not be hilarious.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Besesoth posted:

Community suffered a lot from NBC firing Dan Harmon at the end of season 3 and several of the seasoned writers walking off in protest. (That's why Starburns "dies".) All the actual development Harmon wanted to do was replaced by going back to the episodic "zaniness" of the first season in season 4, season 5 was Harmon trying to prove to NBC that he could still do the job they wanted him to, and season 6 was Harmon trying to prove to Yahoo that he could recoup their investment.

I've never knowingly seen a Dick Wolf or Speed Weed show (I don't even know what Speed Weed is), and I thought "Lupine Urology" was funny.
Season 6 is real good, though, and 5 is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The best parts of Community is when the turn the meta tap all the way on and you get stuff like "Subway" being a character. The worst part is when they try and do anything romantic. It's such a mess of a show, I can't help imagine what it'd be like if the cast and crew didn't cycle out like they do.

That being said, we got Childish Gambino, Rick & Morty and a lot of Dan Harmon metldowns so maybe it's all for the best.