Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why are they asking Ignis that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Why are they asking Ignis that

as setup for the joke

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Also also, goddamn idk if it's just me but Vampire Night made me feel bad for some of the bosses. Most of them even. Except for Guillaume. Guillaume can go gently caress himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs74MiFgz6s&t=1768s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Cmon dude you read the FF thread enough

I'm not saying I have trouble with those terms, just that I can't blame anyone for just glazing over and feeling like the game's lore is just word salad. I bet if they just renamed l'Cie and fal'Cie to different things, even if it was just like "Chosen" and "god-machine" or some boring poo poo like that, a lot fewer people would've complained about FFXIII's lore being complicated.

(Until XIII-2 came along and added a big pantheon and a whole weird cosmology and at that point I don't think it matters what words you use)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Mario + Rabbids Hype Station And August Chat Thread

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

my vision is augustmented

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

an actual dog posted:

The Mario + Rabbids Hype Station And August Chat Thread

I can't believe they actually achieved their goals for July

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
August Chat Thread: Happy Birthday Olive

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Really Pants posted:

my vision is augustmented

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't believe they actually achieved their goals for July

Has there been any news about it since E3? I was on board pretty much from the first gameplay footage and I'm just waiting for reviews.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

August Chat:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

an actual dog posted:

Has there been any news about it since E3? I was on board pretty much from the first gameplay footage and I'm just waiting for reviews.

I don't think there's been any new info. There are new gameplay videos you could find from random events, but that's it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I can't wait to play Mario COM while I play the XCOM 2 expansion.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8mtkFiKHZU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So I just got Hey! Pikmin for 3DS. It's actually a pretty fun little puzzle platformer. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's also nothing offensive to the series. The puzzle platformer format works surprisingly well so far with Pikmin's established mechanics. The game retains the series charm pretty well with the pikmin being really animated this time around. There's a lot of little personality in them. It's all Circle Pad and touchscreen based controls though. No buttons other than L/R for a map overlay so far.

The biggest problem with the game is one that's probably exclusive to old 3ds models. My original 3ds xl suffers from some major framerate dips once you get enough pikmin in your group and then hovers somewhere around 15 fps or so. It's not unplayable, but the drop is noticeable. I imagine it's not a problem for n3ds models though.

Seems like there's a fair bit of stuff to find and do in the game and I'm only just in World 1. There are already secret exits, extra challenge stages and more. And I guess there's a bunch of amiibo stuff but I don't have a way to scan amiibo on my 3ds to begin with. First impressions have been very positive overall, so hopefully if anyone was on the fence looking for an opinion, mine will help you out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

an actual dog posted:

I'm mainly wondering how much content it will have compared to Xcom, especially considering there's a big new Xcom expansion also coming out in August.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm mainly wondering how much content it will have compared to Xcom, especially considering there's a big new Xcom expansion also coming out in August.

The same day even

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af6eWDQX86g

good birds

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I really wonder what path lead to bering the guy who makes nothing but super fluid and bouncy animations of foxes and birds that are also orbs.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzdPTjk9aTg

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fun fact about that artist: he looks exactly like Snoop Dogg and frequently gets mistaken for him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The latest patch of mighty Gunvolt Burst let's you swap between custom slots with L and R which makes it basically flawless in my book

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guess I'll beat this game a 5th time with the new DLC character. Wish they added some challenges with her, but they did add quite a bit of unique customization options with her at least

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

The latest patch of mighty Gunvolt Burst let's you swap between custom slots with L and R which makes it basically flawless in my book

Is that the one that is super super short and play through as the gunvolt guy or gal gun character or mighty no 9 character?

Who else did they add in? I only ever played it on 3DS.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that the one that is super super short and play through as the gunvolt guy or gal gun character or mighty no 9 character?

Who else did they add in? I only ever played it on 3DS.

They just added the gal gun character and I think the L/R thing. I haven't noticed much else, but I only played 2 levels. And yeah the game is like an hour long, you can blow through it pretty quickly once you know the levels and boss weaknesses

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

They just added the gal gun character and I think the L/R thing. I haven't noticed much else, but I only played 2 levels. And yeah the game is like an hour long, you can blow through it pretty quickly once you know the levels and boss weaknesses

Oh ok, so it still only has the 3 playable characters then?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh ok, so it still only has the 3 playable characters then?

The gal gun girl got added today, she's new

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Are y'all talking about that anime game where you shoot women with a love gun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

The gal gun girl got added today, she's new

We've gotta be talking about different games then since I last played mighty gunvolt for 3DS like over a year ago and it was just a free giveaway game thing and it always had the gal gun character, mighty number 9 character, and azure striker gunvolt character.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The character is from that but I'm talking about the mega man clone that developer makes because Capcom won't make mega man games anymore

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

We've gotta be talking about different games then since I last played mighty gunvolt for 3DS like over a year ago and it was just a free giveaway game thing and it always had the gal gun character, mighty number 9 character, and azure striker gunvolt character.

Yeah Mighty Gunvolt Burst is the sequel and came out about 2 months ago

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Oh thank god it was such a pain going to the menu every time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah okay, sorry for the confusion!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

IntiCreates looking at MN9 like, we can do better than this

so they did

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The weird part is they worked on MN9 but I've no idea on what

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh thank god it was such a pain going to the menu every time

Yup, and you get to tag specifically which slots are the quick swap ones. Pretty cool

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I'm not saying I have trouble with those terms, just that I can't blame anyone for just glazing over and feeling like the game's lore is just word salad. I bet if they just renamed l'Cie and fal'Cie to different things, even if it was just like "Chosen" and "god-machine" or some boring poo poo like that, a lot fewer people would've complained about FFXIII's lore being complicated.

(Until XIII-2 came along and added a big pantheon and a whole weird cosmology and at that point I don't think it matters what words you use)

As someone who has spent a shameful portion of his life reading, and occasionally even playing, tabletop RPGs overuse of fabricated fantasy languages is absolutely a great way to get peoples' minds to slide right off of something regardless of how simple it might be when you break it down to its roots. While the stereotype is frequently associated with elf-and-sorcery style fantasy settings, probably the most noteworthy offender is/was White Wolf and the World of Darkness games which really popularized Important Capitalized Terminology as well as everything having to have its own special dictionary of fancy-sounding jargon. It's not "magic energy," it's Quintessence. It's not "huge fuckin wolfman," it's Garou (not to be confused with Dalu which is "more like Lon Chaney wolfman than Jon Talbot from Darkstalkers wolfman", also there are three other words for three other states of wolf-to-man ratio).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm gonna make the august games chat thread.

I'm gonna do it because I know exactly what the thread title needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna make the august games chat thread.

I'm gonna do it because I know exactly what the thread title needs to be.

• Locked thread