Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

deong posted:

Are there downsides to this?
It seems like so.ething that'd be common to want.

I suppose some networks still charge for overages? I'm sure the stock behavior's a holdover from that being the norm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's like sweart gilwere says, it's because stock behavior is to minimize data usage at all costs. Look at the users here on Fi who constantly monitor their usage as to minimize their costs. Those of us with unlimited data prefer to use it whenever possible and those with metered usage and low caps prefer to use wifi whenever possible.

I personally have never found the need to enable the option so I can't comment on its efficacy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

deong posted:

Are there downsides to this?

Is your cell coverage lovely where you are? Then yes, there's a downside.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Just got an email saying they're shutting down the amazing Prosper Daily (formerly BillGuard) and I'm real sad.

The email said to switch to https://claritymoney.com but of course, it's iOS only.

What financial tools are you folks using?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Enable Developer options (usually Settings > About phone, tap the Build number seven times), scroll down under Networking and enable "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular Handover".

Thanks! Trying it now and so far so good.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

AnimalChin posted:

Just got an email saying they're shutting down the amazing Prosper Daily (formerly BillGuard) and I'm real sad.

The email said to switch to https://claritymoney.com but of course, it's iOS only.

What financial tools are you folks using?

That sounds pretty much identical to Mint, and since they are owned by Intuit, they aren't likely to shut down any time soon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Google just sent me a survey about a Google search I did about twenty minutes ago, and gave me $0.83 for it. Has anybody seen that before?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google just sent me a survey about a Google search I did about twenty minutes ago, and gave me $0.83 for it. Has anybody seen that before?

I recently got asked the likelihood of watching a video of a channel I subscribe to, and I watch most videos of. Then another video question that I've also watched. And lastly, a question of which I'm more likely to watch...

Didn't know how to answer that since I watched both muffle times (bmx videos).

First question since January :( once I turned 35 Google stopped sending me rewards.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I hadn't gotta any surveys until I turned 35.

I've also been getting AARP mail (sent to my parents' address?) since I was 25 or so.

I think nobody really knows how old I am.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just got one tonight too but mine was $0.65

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That's weird all my surveys are for places I've been, or been nearby, haven't seen anything related to my search/browse history.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That sounds pretty much identical to Mint, and since they are owned by Intuit, they aren't likely to shut down any time soon.

Kind of.

Prosper would alert me ~once a day with my spending and have me approve each transaction which was incredibly helpful.

I can't find the same alerts in mint :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Had that a few times but not many.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Is there any app that can disable the need to swipe up before unlocking your phone? Googling tells me no, but I want to believe...

My Nexus 4 still owns, it's just the swiping up that's starting to get a bit unresponsive at times. If I could just input my pin as soon as I turn my screen on, that would be a huge improvement.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Is there any app that can disable the need to swipe up before unlocking your phone? Googling tells me no, but I want to believe...

My Nexus 4 still owns, it's just the swiping up that's starting to get a bit unresponsive at times. If I could just input my pin as soon as I turn my screen on, that would be a huge improvement.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible. Maybe it's time to move on from the N4 to a modern phone with a fingerprint sensor? The Moto G5+ is better in every way and only about $200.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Sounds like your digitizer is going like mine did (mine was on the left). Maybe enable dev mode and do some pixel tracking tests to see if there's any dead zones.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I got this just now, but it was about a search I did about 2 minutes prior :stare:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Action launcher got an update, don't need root for Google now pane anymore

quote:

Action Launcher v26 brings several Android O inspired features including notification tweaks as well as Notification Dots, Notification Previews, and a brand-new App Shortcuts panel. You can see the full changelog below:

NEW: Google Now integration for all! Requires installation of the Action Launcher Google Plugin application.
NEW: Full Notification Dots support!
NEW: Long-pressing a shortcut will display a preview of app’s notifications and allow notifications to be dismissed ala Android O. Available when using either Notification Dots or Unread Count.
NEW: Unread Count support extended to all apps that have a current notification.
NEW: Android O style App Shortcuts panel.
NEW: Allow granular control as to which apps display Notification Dots/Unread Count.
NEW: Android O style widget picker, which displays all relevant widgets for a given shortcut.
NEW: Directly engage Action Launcher’s Quickedit panel via a shortcut’s long-press popup UI.
NEW: Dedicated “Icons & App Shortcuts” settings page, which is home to all icon related settings.
NEW: When Google Pill widget is on the left screen edge and Google Now integration is enabled, display a tinted edge background as per Pixel Launcher.
NEW: Option to adjust the scale of icon indicators.
NEW: Revamped interface for selecting the apps that are hidden from app drawers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a way to get Google Calendar to give me a notification of a contact's birthday on their birthday? They show up in the calendar, but there's no notifications associated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to get Google Calendar to give me a notification of a contact's birthday on their birthday? They show up in the calendar, but there's no notifications associated.

Apart from the obvious way of making an event that recurs yearly on the date?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What are people using these days to browse SMB shares on a Windows 10 computer? I'd been using Solid Explorer fine, but after a while it couldn't connect to the share anymore, and I wasn't able successfully go through the set up anymore. Part of it may be that I can never remember what I'm supposed to use as the username - Windows account (which is firstname lastname) or my Microsoft Account's email address. Any ideas? This is getting old.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

What are people using these days to browse SMB shares on a Windows 10 computer? I'd been using Solid Explorer fine, but after a while it couldn't connect to the share anymore, and I wasn't able successfully go through the set up anymore. Part of it may be that I can never remember what I'm supposed to use as the username - Windows account (which is firstname lastname) or my Microsoft Account's email address. Any ideas? This is getting old.

While I've never used it, what about the official Android Samba App?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Apart from the obvious way of making an event that recurs yearly on the date?

Yes, as that means keeping two redundant calenders/databases.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Yes, as that means keeping two redundant calenders/databases.

Well as you noted, the Birthdays calendar lacks all calendar options. It has no notifications, cannot be duplicated, exported, or deleted, and you can't do anything other than hide it. If you want a notification for all calendar birthdays you'll have to do it by manually copying the birthdays (they are handled like any other event and can be copied to other calendars) one by one then hiding the original birthdays calendar. That new calendar can have notifications.

If you just want it for one or two contacts though it's easier to just add an event for that on your calendar.

There's also this which is the first result for your query in Google.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 29, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I just noticed that Google Keep added a feature I've wanted for such a long time (though I didn't know exactly what form it should take). If you have a list where a lot of items are checked off -- i.e. a grocery list that you use long-term -- if you start typing a new item, the autocomplete brings up not just stuff from Google's database of frequently typed items, but also existing, checked items on that list. And if you choose that from the suggestions, it simply unchecks it instead of adding a duplicate item.

Farewell, 60-item grocery list with 6 duplicates of "Eggs"!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

How do I find the path for the share?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

What the hell? Marketing @ Google? With two unrelated random apps?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

I just noticed that Google Keep added a feature I've wanted for such a long time (though I didn't know exactly what form it should take). If you have a list where a lot of items are checked off -- i.e. a grocery list that you use long-term -- if you start typing a new item, the autocomplete brings up not just stuff from Google's database of frequently typed items, but also existing, checked items on that list. And if you choose that from the suggestions, it simply unchecks it instead of adding a duplicate item.

Farewell, 60-item grocery list with 6 duplicates of "Eggs"!

Huh. Mine's been doing that since I started using Keep.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

How do I find the path for the share?

I have no idea. On a Mac it's right on the sharing screen.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have a good fuel mileage tracking app? I was using Fuelly, but the "app" is pretty much just a holder for their website. And I'm too lazy to make something in Sheets that does what I want.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't have a suggestion, but the Tools Thread in AI might.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&pagenumber=382&perpage=40

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Has anyone else stopped getting live sports score notifications from the Google app/Google Now recently? I had been getting them consistently ever since they introduced the feature but about a week ago it just stopped out of nowhere.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What's a good home bar and recipe app? Something that I can put in my current bar inventory and it will provide me recipes. I'm fine with paid apps if they provide some significantly better database of drinks or features.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

couldcareless posted:

What's a good home bar and recipe app? Something that I can put in my current bar inventory and it will provide me recipes. I'm fine with paid apps if they provide some significantly better database of drinks or features.

Interested in this too.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

Does anyone have a good fuel mileage tracking app? I was using Fuelly, but the "app" is pretty much just a holder for their website. And I'm too lazy to make something in Sheets that does what I want.

I use Fuelio. It's a little basic, but it tracks my fuel consumption and it backs-up automatically to Google Drive.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you every goon that recommended textra

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Thank you for that post reminding me to get Textra

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

RJWaters2 posted:

Thank you for that post reminding me to get Textra

EvolvSMS hasn't been going into the app when I tap on a notification. That's as good a reason as any to give textra a whirl

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Now that notification actions are a thing, what advantages do third-party text apps have over Messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Textra has a ton of customization, down to being able to customize per contact. It's really cool. I haven't found a downside, either. Android seems to treat every app equally, even stock apps.

On the subject of reminders get the Google Rewards app so you can get Play money.