Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

baquerd posted:

Grilled Tangzhong milk bread is going to make ridiculously good french toast I predict.

Tangzhong bread makes some of the best french toast I've ever had. On par with challah and brioche, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

May have to give that a try at some point, but I don't think anything can shake my love for challah french toast.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
On that subject: best challah recipe, go.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

On that subject: best challah recipe, go.

This is the best I've tried.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How big an issue will this be: I was making a batch of bread rolls, put all the stuff in the bread mixer and started mixing it, then realised how ungodly noisy it was, and turned it off due to the fact it's midnight here and I don't want to be a dick to my neighbours.

I gave the dough a mix with a spatula to get it all incorporated, but haven't kneaded it. Can I leave the dough to rise and need it in the morning, or should I knead it by hand to prevent it ruining?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Give it a stretch and fold in a few hours put it in fridge. Then stretch and fold again when you wake up. Then another a few hours later leaving it at room temp.
Should be good to go after that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

Give it a stretch and fold in a few hours put it in fridge. Then stretch and fold again when you wake up. Then another a few hours later leaving it at room temp.
Should be good to go after that.

Cheers. I gave it a little kneading about 10 mins after leaving it in the bowl. Then I put it back in the bowl and it's been about an hour rising at room temp. I'll take it out, knead it a little more, whack it in the fridge and then use the mixer tomorrow morning on it and hopefully it'll turn out alright.

Kneading by hand is a pain in the rear end and I could tell I hadn't formed enough of a gluten network in the bread. So much easier when a machine does it for me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Finally had a go at focaccia. Added diced pancetta, parmesan and rosemary to the dough. Was good, would focaccia again.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stringent posted:

Finally had a go at focaccia. Added diced pancetta, parmesan and rosemary to the dough. Was good, would focaccia again.

God drat that looks amazing. The interior looks like lard bread, with the texture of focaccia?? Sign me right up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Restaurant Depot tends to have really lovely bread, but lately they've been carrying a nice loaf of sourdough that is almost as good as what I can make at home. At $2 a loaf, I put my homemade starter in the freezer for a vacation.

Stringent posted:

Yeah, that looks perfect! Great job.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

large hands posted:

you're using a hot Dutch oven w/ lid right? I would still trying a shorter rise/fermenting time, i feel like your dough might be over risen.

i made savory buns to take for work lunches. they're stuffed with black forest ham, cheddar, and pickle with dijon mustard.

Recipe please, these look great and so far all my buns were kinda lackluster.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Nagelfar posted:

Recipe please, these look great and so far all my buns were kinda lackluster.

i used this recipe as a base. i don't bother with the baking soda faux pretzel wash, i just use an egg wash. i reduced the sugar from 6Tbsp of brown sugar to 2tbsp of honey and 1tbsp molasses. i also find they need to cook for a little longer.

there's a place in my town that makes tons of different savory buns filled with everything from curry chicken to roast beef, they even have one with a burger patty inside, I'm using the recipe I linked to try and get something similar. next time I'll try roast beef, cheddar and pickle.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm so bad at fermentation. The formula says 2 hours bulk fermentation, but it seems to be passing the finger-poke test after half an hour. I never know whether to degas and let it go the full time, or just let it be.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Doing my first ever loaf of sourdough bread today. I just used measuring cups because I don't have a kitchen scale. Wish me luck.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Over-proofed again. I just don't get it, why are my proofing times like a quarter of what they should be?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How hot is it in your kitchen?
Proofing times are just a general guideline. Recipes are usually written with an average room temperature in mind.
You can control the temperature of your final dough by adjusting the water temp but you have to know your room, flour, starter(if using) temperatures plus a little extra from the friction of the machine.
Or mix it and throw in the fridge for an overnight proof.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

I'm really happy with how it turned out. It went really well with the barbecued ribs, corn, and coleslaw we had for dinner.

I thought for sure it was going to turn out awful because the dough was still so sticky when I threw it in the dutch oven. I screwed up making the little slices on the crust because the dough was so tacky and I didn't have a sharp enough knife. Tastes pretty good even though I used too much salt. I'll use less wheat flour next time, it was too "wheaty" for my liking. I was expecting more sour flavor, but there was just a hint of it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Petr posted:

Over-proofed again. I just don't get it, why are my proofing times like a quarter of what they should be?

Man, I feel you. Especially in the summer, for whatever reason there seems to be like a 15 minute window at most where the bread is correctly proofed after which it goes over in no time flat.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Thumposaurus posted:

How hot is it in your kitchen?
Proofing times are just a general guideline. Recipes are usually written with an average room temperature in mind.
You can control the temperature of your final dough by adjusting the water temp but you have to know your room, flour, starter(if using) temperatures plus a little extra from the friction of the machine.
Or mix it and throw in the fridge for an overnight proof.

I already do an overnight proof for pate fermentee, but it's not the whole formula. My kitchen is pretty much normal room temperature. I know I have problems with quick proof times, so I used cold water. Still, it felt fully-proofed by a quarter of the time it should have.

Edit: Also, no machine. I just hand-knead.

Petr fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 5, 2017

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Bareback Werewolf posted:

I'm really happy with how it turned out. It went really well with the barbecued ribs, corn, and coleslaw we had for dinner.

I thought for sure it was going to turn out awful because the dough was still so sticky when I threw it in the dutch oven. I screwed up making the little slices on the crust because the dough was so tacky and I didn't have a sharp enough knife. Tastes pretty good even though I used too much salt. I'll use less wheat flour next time, it was too "wheaty" for my liking. I was expecting more sour flavor, but there was just a hint of it.

If you're doing the dutch oven thing, you definitely want the dough really sticky and shaggy, because the moisture is what makes your crust.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I was expecting more sour flavor, but there was just a hint of it.

An overnight proof in the refrigerator will get you a more sour flavor.

Also, get a scale.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Stringent posted:

An overnight proof in the refrigerator will get you a more sour flavor.

Also, get a scale.

Yeah, I'm going to try an overnight proof on my next loaf. I'll get a scale eventually if I stick with this bread making stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

You kind of need a scale to bake bread. I wish it wasn't the case, but volume measurements just don't suffice. Once you get a bunch of experience you'll get a feel for it and know how much to use just based on intuition and estimation, but until then, I've been using this (and recommending it) for years. I couldn't ask for anything more out of a scale, other than maybe scooping the flour for me.

Also, the scale is useful for all sorts of other things, both in and out of the kitchen. $35 well spent.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I think part of my problem is that the finger-poke test has never really made sense to me. The description "springs back part-way but not all the way" applies to newly-mixed, unfermented dough. So I don't really know how to tell when I should stop proofing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Petr posted:

I think part of my problem is that the finger-poke test has never really made sense to me. The description "springs back part-way but not all the way" applies to newly-mixed, unfermented dough. So I don't really know how to tell when I should stop proofing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAfl1u0fIw

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Stringent posted:

Late to the party but wanted to say that looks like tasty focaccia. Which recipe did you use?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Used this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/focaccia_08389 and added some diced pancetta, grated parmesan and chopped fresh rosemary.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Thanks, but I know the concept. I've just never seen a situation where the dough didn't act like that, even before proofing at all. The only thing I can get from the test is whether it's too late, because yeah it does stay all the way when it's over-proofed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I'm wanting to start my own sourdough, what would a good recipe be?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

Full disclosure, it's rarely as simple as the directions make it sound, but stick with it and it'll get there.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Petr posted:

Thanks, but I know the concept. I've just never seen a situation where the dough didn't act like that, even before proofing at all. The only thing I can get from the test is whether it's too late, because yeah it does stay all the way when it's over-proofed.

Unfermented dough doesn't act like that, it's way springier and fills in both more quickly and more completely. Just poke some bread and feel it. Stop thinking so hard about it, you'll know when it's right if you just experiment.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Under proofed and over proofed are both pretty obvious, it's proofed that's tricky.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

iospace posted:

So, I'm wanting to start my own sourdough, what would a good recipe be?

This worked great for me:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10856/pineapple-juice-solution-part-1
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10901/pineapple-juice-solution-part-2

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That's a great crumb for a young starter. It will get better and better, and more sour, with every use! I promise!

Also, this:

Petr posted:

If you're doing the dutch oven thing, you definitely want the dough really sticky and shaggy, because the moisture is what makes your crust.

When I do SD in my dutch oven, the dough is SUPER wet. Trust me, it works.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Made two loaves for lunch at my friend's house today.

First is with manchego cut into about 1cm cubes.

Then the other is with cumin since we were having lamb. Put a bit too much in, but it was good with the meat.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I"M MAKING A BREAD

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Control Volume posted:

I"M MAKING A BREAD

same

today I am a challahback girl

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

same

today I am a challahback girl

Tomorrow you better be making french toast then. Stale challah is the bee's knees.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Tomorrow you better be making french toast then. Stale challah is the bee's knees.

Why else would I make challah? One of the two loaves is reserved for exactly that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

First time trying to make shokupan using this recipe Didn't rise enough in the last proofing to fill the loaf pan like it was suppose to, but was still very tasty.