Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a penguin island episode of a podcast called The Dollop you may be interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Camel is loving amazing and I wish you could find it in the US.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

Honestly I'll eat just about any animal you put in front of me. Not any part of the animal, just any animal.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Horse is delicious and am a bit surprised when British people went up in arms over Horsegate.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Horse is delicious but if my packet of beefsteak turned out to be made of horse i'd be wondering what else they hosed up about it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like Ikea meatballs with horse accidentally in them aren't going to be made out of finest Kyushu basahi, they're going to be made out of last month's euthanized racetrack failures.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly I'll eat just about any animal you put in front of me. Not any part of the animal, just any animal.

Greenland Shark?

It has to ferment in the open, and then it still might have the aftertaste of pee

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nebakenezzer posted:

Greenland Shark?

It has to ferment in the open, and then it still might have the aftertaste of pee

Please. Hákarl is fermented in the ground (traditionally, anyway), and then hung in the open for drying. You have to cut the crust off after hanging before you eat it.

Hákarl is vile.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reiterpallasch posted:

Horse is delicious but if my packet of beefsteak turned out to be made of horse i'd be wondering what else they hosed up about it.

I'm not eating horse nor dog, unless it's a survival scenario.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I will eat a haunch of horse if it's called that on the menu.

If someone does the cow/horse switcheroo, I can never trust what's on the menu again.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

hyperhazard posted:

C'mon up to Minnesota. I live in a suburb and there's a place that sells it a mile away.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 31, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

hyperhazard posted:

The one time I ate camel it was incredibly greasy and not good. Kangaroo, on the other hand, is fantastic.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gator is really nice, and you can even get it legally.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

Horse is delicious and am a bit surprised when British people went up in arms over Horsegate.

It's mostly mislabeling that puts people on edge. If I bought a tub of Crisco and I opened it up and found it full of delicious ice cream, I'd definitely be put off edge. There were also concerns because the horses that had been butchered weren't raised for their meat, they were workhorses that had recently been taken off of the streets of Romania and had various drugs in them that might've been unsafe for human consumption.

Other than that, a lot of people these days have a lot of weird hangups about eating various meats because they're so far removed from animals that their main image of them are cuddly little cartoon critters or treasured pets.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I stopped eating eggs as a kid after seeing an old cartoon where someone was candleing their eggs to make sure they didn't have a chick in them. Chicken was still fine.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Prism posted:

Please. Hákarl is fermented in the ground (traditionally, anyway), and then hung in the open for drying. You have to cut the crust off after hanging before you eat it.

Hákarl is vile.

If you're going to Iceland, may as well have some whale.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Prism posted:

Hákarl is vile.

There was a greenland shark on River Monsters the other day, I ended up reading a bit about them, Sexual maturity comes at ~120 years, sort of a Ur-goon in fish form

What I want to know is how Hákarl got started in the first place. Were the Norse really that bored they had to find a way to eat an inedible fish? Was this some sort of dare food for dark winter drinking sessions?

I mean blood pudding makes sense if you have literally no other seasonings

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nebakenezzer posted:

What I want to know is how Hákarl got started in the first place. Were the Norse really that bored they had to find a way to eat an inedible fish? Was this some sort of dare food for dark winter drinking sessions?

Desperation? I mean, it's not completely inedible; IIRC you can eat it if you boil the hell out of it with multiple changes of water. If you had no other options you might try to 'clean' it that way and then find out it worked. No idea as to why you'd ferment it, though, or who was the first person willing to eat it afterwards.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 31, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nebakenezzer posted:

There was a greenland shark on River Monsters the other day, I ended up reading a bit about them, Sexual maturity comes at ~120 years, sort of a Ur-goon in fish form

I mean blood pudding makes sense if you have literally no other seasonings

Oysters are like this for me. "Hey, maybe there's meat inside this rock from the ocean." How does that even happen, the first guy to crank one of those open?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

hyperhazard posted:

There's a high end burger place near me that occasionally has camel for their burgers. among other things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a penguin island episode of a podcast called The Dollop you may be interested in.
I listened to their live show with Matt Christman and it was the most annoying loving thing. Maybe they're better when they're just recording and not surrounded by victims of White People Disease, I don't know.

(White People Disease is when you can't be in society without yelling "whooooo!" at least every five minutes.)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Oysters are like this for me. "Hey, maybe there's meat inside this rock from the ocean." How does that even happen, the first guy to crank one of those open?

Saw an animal crack and eat one?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Prism posted:

Desperation? I mean, it's not completely inedible; IIRC you can eat it if you boil the hell out of it with multiple changes of water. If you had no other options you might try to 'clean' it that way and then find out it worked. No idea as to why you'd ferment it, though, or who was the first person willing to eat it afterwards.

Like everything else from back then, fermenting it killed all the bacteria and such. Fermenting and curing were about all you could do to preserve meat.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

wallaka posted:

Like everything else from back then, fermenting it killed all the bacteria and such. Fermenting and curing were about all you could do to preserve meat.

Right. Fermenting food to preserve it makes sense even if a lot of it is not to my taste.

But who wanted to be the first one to check if hákarl was poisonous once it was fermented, given it was when they put it in and now it smells like ammonia? Most people reflexively gag when they try it the first time; your brain is desperately trying to get you to not eat that.

I will accept that it doesn't taste quite as bad as it smells, though.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 31, 2017

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

The one time I ate camel it was incredibly greasy and not good. Kangaroo, on the other hand, is fantastic.

Roo is good poo poo. One of the guys in gbs was saying he sous vide'd it to good results

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

roo vide

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The answer to "why did they start eating this gross thing?" is always "they were starving to death." Later eating it became a way to memorialize those times. Then it became a part of the general culture.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Prism posted:

Right. Fermenting food to preserve it makes sense even if a lot of it is not to my taste.

But who wanted to be the first one to check if hákarl was poisonous once it was fermented, given it was when they put it in and now it smells like ammonia? Most people reflexively gag when they try it the first time; your brain is desperately trying to get you to not eat that.

I will accept that it doesn't taste quite as bad as it smells, though.

modern humans are kind of enormous pussies

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cumslut1895 posted:

modern humans are kind of enormous pussies

This is what always makes me laugh about the Paleo diet.

"To be healthy, you have to eat what you're evolutionarily adapted to eat!"
And then, it's like an avacado and chicken burrito with lettuce instead of a tortilla, instead of like, a frog that you picked up directly from the ground and probably killed before unceremoniously eating it whole.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

deadly_pudding posted:

This is what always makes me laugh about the Paleo diet.

"To be healthy, you have to eat what you're evolutionarily adapted to eat!"
And then, it's like an avacado and chicken burrito with lettuce instead of a tortilla, instead of like, a frog that you picked up directly from the ground and probably killed before unceremoniously eating it whole.

I say we should use CrossFitters as draft animals.

\/\/ Then I can steal their apples at the same time, so bonus. \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 31, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They'll do anything if you let them do it while balancing on a Bosu Ball. If you need your fence painted, just line a few of 'em up in front of it with a paint can beside each one.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Scratch Monkey posted:

The answer to "why did they start eating this gross thing?" is always "they were starving to death." Later eating it became a way to memorialize those times. Then it became a part of the general culture.

As I recall of the Icelandic history I read ages ago, they were indeed starving. Iceland got swapped between Denmark and Sweden(?), each of which forbade them from trading with anyone else and then just decided not to trade with Iceland because they didn't have anything. That led to the Iclandics eating rotten shark and puffin and all kinds of stuff. The WW2 happened and, Iceland declared independence, and everyone was too busy dealing with Nazis to bother with them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Every culture also has a food they keep around just to trick outsiders into eating, like that Bourdain episode where the tribesmen feed him a raw warthog rear end in a top hat and say "Oh, yeah, this is totally a rite of passage for us. You're not a man until you eat a pig's rusty balloon knot."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm fairly sure they didn't eat the shark out of any kind of "well we eat either this or Old Man Thorsson next door" desperation. The Greenland shark weighs upwards of a literal ton and fermenting fish under pressure is a traditional way of preserving large fish in the region, cf. Norwegian rakfisk.

This is the same region that thinks ammonium chloride is a candy, remember. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 1, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Trying to make an inedible thing edible is just a matter of trying hard enough, but what I want to know is how could people possibly have kept trying to eat deadly poisonous things like fugu.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Trying to make an inedible thing edible is just a matter of trying hard enough, but what I want to know is how could people possibly have kept trying to eat deadly poisonous things like fugu.
there are non-toxic species of puffer, and Tetrodotoxin can vary in strength from fish to fish also.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

They Ate It So You Don't Have To : The Horribly Poisoned Ancestors Food Thread

(seriously digging this derail though)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

JacquelineDempsey posted:

They Ate It So You Don't Have To : The Horribly Poisoned Ancestors Food Thread

(seriously digging this derail though)

Speaking of...

is anybody else still using salt beef and salt pork, or is that just Newfoundland

Hard tack is still available as well, though they took lard out of the recipe, old people still complain

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of...

salt pork

Ham? Bacon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm in the US and I can go to the store and pick up salt pork whenever I want.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hard tack is still available as well, though they took lard out of the recipe, old people still complain

Wouldn't any kind of fat significantly reduce the keeping power of hardtack and kind of defeat the point?

• Locked thread