Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
omg :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What kind of yuppie bullshit is this. Man gently caress your couch

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Terlet dogs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm out of town so Baylee's owner is dog sitting dakota. She just moved today and came across an old doggo party hat and sent me these pictures.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Mila wants to be petted and receive treats, she doesn't want photos.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70n3Ouwvdjs

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/churchofsatan/status/891416252412870656

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/891424652232466437

https://twitter.com/churchofsatan/status/891427163085221888

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Good morning have pup butt

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Wanna scratch that butt.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Why are you torturing me don't you love me????

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
"Look at me"
(collectively) "Nope"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TBeats posted:

Why are you torturing me don't you love me????

Monty got a baf?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Monty got a baf?

Monty got a baf!

He's hit peak shedding season so I'm trying everything to remedy it.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2017

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think his face froze like that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Garrand posted:

I think his face froze like that.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary has a webcam now.

https://explore.org/live-cams/player/senior-dog-gathering-room

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

YES

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
New rescue dog got sleepy on his way home:

I love him already

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

This is fantastic. I think I caught dinnertime in action:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

meh.com has a light up leash and collar for $14 but lol @ 4' leash. I guess good for training to keep them near

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The leash I have for Monty is 4 feet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thought 6' was standard. That's the legal limit here anyways.

I mean of course there's the retractable ones

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The shorter the leash the more control you have over the dog on a walk. I can walk anywhere without a leash and he won't go farther than a foot from me regardless of whatever distraction pops up, which was why I got one so short. That plus a gentle leader has made it so that a toddler could walk Monty without fuss.

He's a super happy dog but I'm pretty strict and don't ever let him get away with anything I don't want him to do, and a shorter leash helps me enforce the standards I expect on a walk.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgZRNyivBsw

This is the type of thing I was able to teach him on a four foot leash. It may not seem like a big deal but it helps when we are on walks and passing people and he isn't on the leash. It allows me to put myself as a buffer without having to do anything but tell him "other side, please."

If you can't tell what's going on because there's wind or you don't have volume, he is on my left side and I say "other side, please" and he moves to my right side, all while never getting more than a foot or so away from me.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 31, 2017

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
More awesome doggos on this page

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Xinder posted:

I love him already

:3:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have a 6 foot for Frank's main lead, some 5 foots as spares, and I just got a 10 meter leather lead for my eclipse camping trip in August. Not a fan of leather personally, but it was a good deal.

I don't trust those adjustable ones. More line is nice sometimes but throwing in mechanical bits increases the likelihood of it failing and a lot of them are built entirely of cheap plastic poo poo, gears, locks and all.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah I'd never use the retractable ones and I think they've pretty much gone away, hardly see them anymore

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My mom uses a retractable for her dog. He just takes off running and gets yanked when it runs out of its 15' length or whatever, or if she hits the lock button.

It's a lovely way to walk a dog.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Xinder posted:

I love him already
Melting my cold, dead heart :3:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Xinder posted:

I love him already

That's adorable.

When my girlfriend brought Ada home, due to a combination of still being affected by the drugs after the desexing operation and being utterly terrified of everything, she ended up peeing and making GBS threads liquid everywhere in the car.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah I'd never use the retractable ones and I think they've pretty much gone away, hardly see them anymore

I only see old people with these anymore, and only ever with little dogs. They do seem to be falling out of fashion which is good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TBeats posted:

My mom uses a retractable for her dog. He just takes off running and gets yanked when it runs out of its 15' length or whatever, or if she hits the lock button.

It's a lovely way to walk a dog.

Yeah, more and more I feel like retractable leashes are a bad idea because they encourage bad behaviors in dogs. The fact that they're less sturdy than regular leashes doesn't help, of course.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, more and more I feel like retractable leashes are a bad idea because they encourage bad behaviors in dogs. The fact that they're less sturdy than regular leashes doesn't help, of course.

My mom is also a notoriously lovely dog owner. She's had one dog in all of my life that she treated well. The rest she does the bare minimum for (which amounts to like 8 or 10 dogs total).

Last time I was home her dog stayed locked in his cage the entire time, only coming out of it to go outside. I told her that I would put Monty in the bedroom so that her dog wouldn't go crazy playing with him, since Monty is the guest and all and I feel like that's how it should be. But that lasted for a few hours and she just locked him in his cage again.

It's pretty loving frustrating to even talk about.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

screaden posted:

I only see old people with these anymore, and only ever with little dogs. They do seem to be falling out of fashion which is good.

Purely anecdotal but it seems to be the standard in Europe. Kind of interesting---often depressing---to see how dogs are incorporated into another culture. My Vietnamese friend was telling me how the Western concept of dogs as pets/companions is barely getting over there, and reserved for the upper classes. Like, there's often not even any sort of vet around. To many there: it is a weird and foreign concept.

I understand everything above is hearsay, and not fact, so please feel free to correct me.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

screaden posted:

That's adorable.

When my girlfriend brought Ada home, due to a combination of still being affected by the drugs after the desexing operation and being utterly terrified of everything, she ended up peeing and making GBS threads liquid everywhere in the car.

He's been very good. No barking. Rode 2 whole hours in the car and didn't pee till we got home. Was so calm.

Then again he's all drugged up on heartworm medication. He's got full blown adult heartworms he has to kick before he can be around other dogs, so that'll be months out.

He also was found on the side of the road and doesn't respond to any names we or the fosters tried, so we're calling him Malachi and hoping he eventually learns that's his name.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The retractable ones we sell through the warehouse I work at are mostly German. Flexi? Something like that, and they are not cheap. I'd put faith in a German made retractable leash, but nothing with China stamped on any piece of it. You're getting in the $50-100 range for a well made one, though.

German made dog gear can be stupid expensive, but totally worth it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Xinder posted:

He's been very good. No barking. Rode 2 whole hours in the car and didn't pee till we got home. Was so calm.

Then again he's all drugged up on heartworm medication. He's got full blown adult heartworms he has to kick before he can be around other dogs, so that'll be months out.

He also was found on the side of the road and doesn't respond to any names we or the fosters tried, so we're calling him Malachi and hoping he eventually learns that's his name.

You are awesome for taking him home.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Purely anecdotal but it seems to be the standard in Europe. Kind of interesting---often depressing---to see how dogs are incorporated into another culture. My Vietnamese friend was telling me how the Western concept of dogs as pets/companions is barely getting over there, and reserved for the upper classes. Like, there's often not even any sort of vet around. To many there: it is a weird and foreign concept.

I understand everything above is hearsay, and not fact, so please feel free to correct me.

Can't confirm/deny, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm in Aus and recently moved to the country (from a 250,000 population city to 4,000) and even their ideas about pets are very different. It's been an annoying adjustment actually, people just don't give a poo poo, and generally live on huge unfenced blocks, so every walk is an adventure where we might have three different roaming dogs come charging up to us, or maybe we'll have a nice pleasant stroll without seeing a soul. Also, people being very lax with having a dog on a leash. I've lost count of the amount of times some doofus' little poo poo will run up to us growling and snapping in my dog's faces and the owners making no effort aside from "don't worry they won't bite". I can remember one time this happened where I used to live and it was purely an accident (leash clip snagged on the head halter loop and unlocked it).

There are no dog trainers nearby here so all the grizzled old farmhands believe that hitting a dog is the best discipline and so that attitude is kind of pervasive around here. Australia really needs some official qualification or training program to allow people to become trainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

He's settling in very well. I expected a lot more confusion and fear. He was a bit excited exploring the new home for a while then just found a nice spot to lie down near us.