Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

What-O Daddy-O?

OK K.O!: Let's Be Heroes is a new show on Cartoon Network created by RPG World creator and known Goon Ian Jones-Quartey of Venture Bros, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe fame, with Toby Jones of Regular Show and AJ's Infinite Summer fame as Supervising Director. It follows the adventures of K.O., a brave young lad who lives in a world that runs on anime and video game tropes.

Wasn't this Lakewood Plaza Turbo? What took so long?
Apparently the story goes that CN, after seeing the pilot, wanted to pull a Tak & the Power of JuJu and make a video game adaption first. Hence the mobile game OK K.O.! Lakewood Plaza Turbo (it's free with optional ads). There's also another game being produced for home consoles that's coming out soon.

Sweet Diggety-Nipples! Where and when can I watch it!
While the show's proper premier is on August 1st, the first 6 episodes are already on CN's website, app, and video on demand services (with the first two eps not requiring a cable login), while the first two are also available on Itunes and likely other similar places.

Characters

K.O. (Inconsistently voiced by Stephanie Nadolny and Courtenay Taylor)
A hot-blooded, naive boy who's ready to rumble.

Enid (Voiced by Ashley Burch)
A martial artist already burnt out by the service industry.

Radicles (Voiced by Ian Jones-Quartey)
A meatheaded alien who seems to mask his insecurities under a dudebro demeanor. Friends with Commander Keen Mega Football Baby and Bell Beefer

Mr. Gar (Voiced by David Herman)
The trio's boss, and owns not only Gar's Bodega but the plaza in general. Dislikes slackers and despises both evildoers and cheapskates. Has a crush on K.O.'s mom.

Carol (Voiced by Kate Flannery)
K.O.'s doting single mother and owner of a dojo. Has a past with Mr. Gar.

Lord Boxman (Voiced by Jim Cummings)
The owner of Boxmore and rival of the plaza. Hates friendship because if everyone's friends with eachother, then who will need buy his evil robots?

Shorts

Made prior to the full show (the first three to promote the mobile game and re-pitch the show to the network, the rest made at the start of the full show's production), these shorts use a variety of different animation studios and art styles, primarily Science Saru and Studio Yotta

K.O.
Enid
Rad
Carol
Enid's Bad Day
Barrels and Crates
Rad Cries
Rad's Van
Commercial
Power-Up!!!
Dendy
Boxmore Infomercial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You forgot to mention the funky disco opening with a sequence storyboarded by Hiroyuki Imaishi of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyHZQARrnM

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm mad at Ian for never finishing RPG World but this is cool I guess

Seriously though, I've been a fan since the pilot and this very much fills the soon to be empty niche Adventure Time filled. It's so satisfying to have video game tropes done right, by the gamers, for the gamers, instead of tightening up the graphics on Level 3

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This is a good op so it would be a shame for it not to get attention.

Anyway I've watched the first six episodes and I've got to say I really enjoyed it. I didn't know Jim Cummings was in it and his voice brought back memories of all the shows he was in during the 90s. Rebecca Sugar singing the ending song is pretty cool. I hope this show is a hit.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The good news is that when the series premiers next week, they'll also premier episodes 7-10 (and not just the 6 already available on the ep)

The bad news (at least it's not bad news for OK KO though) is

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The good news is that when the series premiers next week, they'll also premier episodes 7-10 (and not just the 6 already available on the ep)

The bad news (at least it's not bad news for OK KO though) is

Truly, God has forsaken us.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Christ, whoever does scheduling for CN should just be shot by this point.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

apparently the guy responsible was infamous for spamming oggy and the cockroaches at CN Asia

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Good grief, I mean Titan's Go is a solid show and all but you gotta have some variety in there man. You've got a pretty deep bench of successful shows you can do reruns of! I hope they're at least playing it off as some kind of special TT Go event or something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I, too, have been following Ian JQ's stuff since the RPG World days, and am proud of him for the fact that OK KO exists.

Anybody know what video services this is gonna be on?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So no news about the console stuff even days before its TV premier?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bongo Bill posted:

I, too, have been following Ian JQ's stuff since the RPG World days, and am proud of him for the fact that OK KO exists.

Anybody know what video services this is gonna be on?

I've already bought the first season pass on Google Play. I think it's going to show up everywhere else Cartoon Network's stuff does.

So far it's turned out pretty entertaining.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LET'S BE HEROES!

E: Oh my god these name cards are Kill la Kill all over.

E2: Yeah, this is Jim Cummings.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 1, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I am glad that they are serious about making a goofy video game world with heart, feeling and Jim Cummings just howling like a goofball.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can't tell if this is all supposed to be literally that goofy or if this kid has some kind of overactive imagination.

EDIT: Was the flashback in the rainy streets with the sandwich dropped in the middle of the street supposed to be a parody of Cowboy Bebop's opening flashback?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: No, I don't want to be too mean. Just...let yourself accept a show on its own terms, dude. Especially a cartoon.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 2, 2017

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

The show premiered three hours ago and you're already coming up with lovely generic "it was all in his head" theories? Come on, get the gently caress out of here. What, is Steven Universe just fantasizing about his three aunts being aliens? Adventure Time is just a kid and his dog playing in the forest. We can't possibly accept a cartoon on its own terms, because it's GoOfY!!!!
Hey I like the show, I just think a plot where your average manager is some built ripped badass and this kid's babysitter is literally fighting off the flu makes me think maybe he's not all there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also a goddamn cartoon for children, dude!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If this is his fantasy, I don't want to be in reality.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, and it was just a stray one-note observation I made...? Take your own advice and simmer down considerably.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have so many questions, like What? When? Why? and Huh?

Jim Cummings sounds like he's having a blast. And you tell me they're putting out twenty-two episodes of this in August alone? And the first six were that good already?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

Hey I like the show, I just think a plot where your average manager is some built ripped badass and this kid's babysitter is literally fighting off the flu makes me think maybe he's not all there.

The entire premise of the show is that the world is like that. I'm not sure how it's possible to miss this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The premise is that this is a world where everyone, not just the protagonists but everyone, is a Dragonball character.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can say with confidence that OK KO is the best show on Cartoon Network

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
What if KO is in a coma and this is all a dream?!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

LET'S BE HEROES!

E: Oh my god these name cards are Kill la Kill all over.

E2: Yeah, this is Jim Cummings.

I really love:

STRENGTHS: ALIEN STRENGTH
WEAKNESSES: HUMAN WEAKNESS

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

On a channel that pretty consistently drops heavy poo poo in its cartoons for children nowadays, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/892853236440326145

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
New episodes tomorrow so hopefully this thread picks up some.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

New episodes this entire month.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's interesting that KO's attempt to use empathy completely failed, and resulted in him discovering that no, Jethro is just a dumb machine that has no feelings and can't be reasoned with. That hardly ever happens to Steven Universe!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Quick reminder (for those who didn't tune in the past 2 days due to seeing the eps on the app ahead of time): The new episodes are premiering at 6:10 (immediately after the new Teen Titans Go), not 6: 15

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Maybe it's just that my TV is old, but was anyone else seeing an epileptic pattern on the blinds in Lord Boxman's lair?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I need that watch the sunset faces. That was just a nice funny reaction, even if the animation in that episode felt really flat sometimes.

Also nerd girl is cute.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 3, 2017

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Thought Dendy was voiced by Peridot. Nope, turns out it's Ed from Cowboy Bebop.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I watched two episodes while babysitting today. KO's voice is the same person that voiced Gohan when he was a kid. Then you have Enid dressed in Bulma's colors, and antannae Piccolo but he has Zarbon's palette. Also, is the skeleton dude from Undertale? It's a cool shounen/dbz parody.

Best gag I thought was Jethro's control room.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Congrats on getting the show on the air, Ian J.! Can't wait to see all the episodes on their air dates.

quote:

I watched two episodes while babysitting today. KO's voice is the same person that voiced Gohan when he was a kid. Then you have Enid dressed in Bulma's colors, and antannae Piccolo but he has Zarbon's palette. Also, is the skeleton dude from Undertale? It's a cool shounen/dbz parody.

Best gag I thought was Jethro's control room.

Haha, I recognized K.O.'s voice immediately too. A lot of amazing people are working in this show.
Also that Real Magic Skeleton feels less like an Undertale character and more like Lord Guycott from that old NES game Clash at Demonhead.

The full length cape does it for me. Here is where I'd post a comparison image but its actually kinda hard to find a good shot of the weird skeleton dude, so just trust me that they look a lot alike. Red eyes and eveything.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The ending theme has a huge nerd joke, and for that I will love this show forever.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Crabtree posted:

I need that watch the sunset faces. That was just a nice funny reaction, even if the animation in that episode felt really flat sometimes.

Also nerd girl is cute.
https://twitter.com/scrotumnose/status/893296479581941760

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Rad's Bungee Net Has The Properties of both Rubber and Nets

Edit: Watching these new episodes, this show is super delightful. It's just real high-energy and fun, something that I haven't seen a good cartoon be in a while.

mdct fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 4, 2017