Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
One day I'm going to force myself to play with Forestry. I've never yet touched it in my life. I have no idea where to even start, aside from knowing I need a scoop and to get apiarist clothing.

Tombot posted:

The way these packs should end in my opinion is that you build the spacerocket and it can take you to a distant planet thats literally just a normal minecraft world where you can start again or just call it a happy ending because you escaped, yay!

That's literally the ending to Forever Stranded. You travel an earth-like planet and are now free to colonise it as you like as your reward for escaping. Not sure why you don't, like, go home or something considering you went from having nothing on a desert planet to starting an entire spacetravel agency by yourself.

It's sort of an anticlimax because by the time you reach that point you're self-sufficient to the point of being capable of just terraforming the drat planet you're already on and returning life to it, but whatever.

I've never managed to get off the moon in Galactic Science but its plot seems to revolve around using Stargates to contact aliens and travel to live with them after Earth is destroyed, which sounds a lot cooler. Shame it's such a slow pack.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Tombot posted:

The way these packs should end in my opinion is that you build the spacerocket and it can take you to a distant planet thats literally just a normal minecraft world where you can start again or just call it a happy ending because you escaped, yay!
Most packs end with sort of a metaphorical deflating balloon sound and nothing really going on, which is a little bit why I miss the old Feed the beast maps, you get to put things into a massive machine and it does stuff mechanicaly and afterwards it lets you see inside. Which in my opinion is much more interesting that feeding things into a book.

I agree, Feed the Beast was my introduction to modded Minecraft, and though a lot of cool things have happened since, none of the following Skyblocks or challenge maps have felt quite the same as sacrificing my hard won progress to that huge black pyramid.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Hello! I have no experience with actually making a pack or really even messing with the stuff inside one. Usually, and what I plan to do now, I just pay to host a server and use a pack. What I'm wondering is is this looks super fantastic

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/the-lost-cities

But while talking to a friend they mentioned that it would probably be incompatible with just dropping it in a modpack because of ore generation. Isn't that true? If so, is it possible to somehow meld this awesome world generation in with the ores from a larger modpack?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Prokhor posted:

Hello! I have no experience with actually making a pack or really even messing with the stuff inside one. Usually, and what I plan to do now, I just pay to host a server and use a pack. What I'm wondering is is this looks super fantastic

But while talking to a friend they mentioned that it would probably be incompatible with just dropping it in a modpack because of ore generation. Isn't that true? If so, is it possible to somehow meld this awesome world generation in with the ores from a larger modpack?
I'm pretty sure it's totally compatible. I'm playing a modpack that wasn't made for this and dropped it in afterwards. It works just fine. Underground ores and even rock strata types are generating as they should, and I've found Botania flowers, Ars Magica mana pools, roguelike dungeons, and other worldgen goodies. You can turn on/leave on villages and those will even generate among the city proper, and I've even seen a loving jungle temple with its pyramid tip poking up just above street level.
It's a lot of fun actually and I might make a trip report soon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Black Pants posted:

One day I'm going to force myself to play with Forestry. I've never yet touched it in my life. I have no idea where to even start, aside from knowing I need a scoop and to get apiarist clothing.

a quick way to get some early forestry crap is to raid the house of an apiarist or two in villages, who should have some red planks making up part of their roof and will be wearing yellow clothing. they'll have a couple apiaries behind their house which you can grab, and their chests will have an assortment of things like pollen, honeycomb, scoops, etc.

also you don't explicitly need apiarist clothing unless you get deep into the bee breeding and start making bees that can be dangerous to you, especially since the pieces require a material that's made with stuff you can only get from bees anyways

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Prokhor posted:

100% usable. The only issue it can have is surface worldgen can be choked out by The Lost Cities, so you may want to tune down how frequently they generate for that if you have anything that requires surface worldgen (such as Astral Sorcery). Ore generation is totally unaffected, as are caves, dungeons, fortresses, and the like. Lost Cities doesn't typically go much further down than about y=55 unless you specifically configure it to.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

just got to the space age in Age of Engineering and whooooo boy i am sure glad i paused to make a tier 4 solar and tier 4 void miner because holy poo poo you need a lot of rubies

like, metric asstons of rubies

if i didn't have this red lens void ore miner i'd probably be hosed right now :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and i'm still loving around trying to get UU matter underway and bees to stop stinging me

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

and i'm still loving around trying to get UU matter underway and bees to stop stinging me

once you get uu-matter settled, then things can speed up quite a lot

make sure to scan sturdy casings, ender io machine chassis, rftools machine frames, ender io basic capacitors, and ic2 carbon plates/advanced alloy plates, all of them are super cheap to replicate via uu-matter

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

and here i thought ic2 was tedious with all the intermediate crafting recipes but holy poo poo advanced rocketry

not only are the intermediate recipes never-ending, but each piece of the puzzle requires a new multiblock machine, and each multiblock machine is agonizingly slow to the point of distraction

like i thought "oh sweet i can make silicon with sand now with the electric arc furnace" but it takes like five loving minutes per sand

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of tech mods, is Immersive Engineering missing any functionality at this point that'd need to be covered by other tech mods?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of tech mods, is Immersive Engineering missing any functionality at this point that'd need to be covered by other tech mods?

Immersive Engineering is not very good at ore processing. It has ore doubling and smelting machines, but they're way at the end of its tech tree.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Immersive Engineering is not very good at ore processing. It has ore doubling and smelting machines, but they're way at the end of its tech tree.
Well, I've got Tinkers' installed too, so I guess I've got that covered then.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I decided to give a skyblock map a go because why not.

Went for skyexchange since it's on 1.10, whereas most other ones I see are 1.8

I have been 4 days without any rain, so have no water to speak of.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mehall posted:

Make a wood crucible, put it over a torch, and throw leaves into it.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If it is a pack with sifting and barrels, you can make a log crucible to melt leaves into water

If not I dunno, try searching recipes that make water in NEI

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Mastermind posted:

Make a wood crucible, put it over a torch, and throw leaves into it.
You don't even need a torch for reducing leaves/saplings into water. They render down on their own.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured out the problem with missing chisel blocks is that they were in Chisel 3, but that has not ported to 1.10.2. It doesn't look like anybody is doing it, but it does have a project on GitHub. Is anybody bored? Hehehe.

For all I know, I might end up getting into it. However, there's something that generally has me worried about doing any coding. All the cool kids are using the Curse/Twitch launcher, and it looks like they actually scour the mods that are included. I have my own custom Baby's First Mod that does the teleport logic for BFSR. IIRC there are new commands between Minecraft and RFTools that might render that obsolete, but I might still have to do something custom and goofy with Lockdown to allow arbitrary Overworld terrain generation while starting in the tutorial dimension. I hope that'll just get pulled quickly and I can just include it from an approved build. However, I suspect I'll eventually have to insert what they call in the game making-thread "some of my own personal juice." What can I look forward to when dealing with that?

It's a shame that it looks like Shukaro's Artifice is a dead deal. There were some nice quality-of-life items in it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

IE's grinder and arc smelter are worth it for the fact that you can throw a ton of poo poo in them at once, and the arc smelter is ridiculously fast at its job but uses a ton of power to do so. (And requires graphite electrodes, but they can be made by putting the graphite onto a metal press with the rod plate.)

I wouldn't exactly say 'end of its tech tree' though as IE doesn't have a tech tree so much as pre- and post-steel techs. If you're using IE for your sole general-tech mod you'll need to make a squeezer, refinery, and diesel generator to power it beforehand, though, granted. But you'll need those to power anything else that uses power if you have it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I tried turning leaves/saplings into water but they just go to dirt.
Do i have the wrong tool?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

mehall posted:

I tried turning leaves/saplings into water but they just go to dirt.
Do i have the wrong tool?

You want a wooden crucible, not a barrel.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

mehall posted:

I tried Modern Skyblock 2, because it claim no ex nihlo. I started with a grass start, so no need for some other stuff as you have dirt to start with,

So my first 'quest' is breaking grass for seeds.

only there is no grass....

So i ended up doing ftb beyond and being only able to build/claim 1 chunk. Which is a little more exciting.

(though tbh, im thinking Rocko's BFSR might actually be what im after)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mehall posted:

SkyFactory 3 is 1.10.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What is a reasonable, base combination of Harvestcraft ingredients that leads to a lot of diverse and filling foods? I'm trying to focus here and my only recourse other than asking is trying to write a little algorithm to count each time a base ingredient is being used for something more advanced. I can tell right away that soy (tofu) is a big deal as well as flour in general.

Also, does anybody think it's a bad idea to have a gag BFSR chapter for a British Space Program that involves making:

• paneer tikka masala
  • fish and chips
  • fireworks
  • all the ladders
  • jetpacks
  • slime boots/sling shot
  • hang glider

I kind of want to have both Galacticraft and Advanced Rocketry as US/USSR competing things, but I felt I needed a catchall for some stuff and a gag space program seemed the most fitting to the theme. The NPCs practically make themselves.

Do any of the rocket mods let you fire a dog into space?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sounds like a lot of work for very little payoff

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's a better replacement for Roguelike Dungeons if I'm just interested in just having more interesting dungeons? Dungeon Tactics, Doomlike Dungeons, or Recurrent Complex? I'm leaning towards RC since it adds more buildings on the surface.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Recurrent Complex is cool for sprucing up the world, but I don't get the same kind of Dungeony feel from the dungeons.

Roguelike Dungeons are always a huge disappointment for me because in virtually no packs are they given custom loot. So you're exploring these halls filled with super fast enchanted armored enemy spawners and you reach a chest and there's like, 4 sticks, 2 baked potatoes, and 3 enchanted, dyed leather pants. Whoopdeefuck. In modded packs this could be the perfect opportunity to stick rare and valuable items in, or even complex things like machine frames and circuits, but they don't even draw from the generic dungeon pool additively so you won't even find the near-worthless black mana roses from Botania or anything like that. It's a real letdown.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Roguelike Dungeons are always a huge disappointment for me because in virtually no packs are they given custom loot.
Well, that's because the mod has zero documentation on how to config the files. Even the basic config file is obscure.

Which is why I'm looking for a replacement, really. The dungeons I've found are all very same-y in terms of design, and there's really no reason to go into them anyway because you're not going to find anything worth the hassle.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
You'd modify the RLD loottables by telling it to use vanilla loot then modifying that, DLD has it's loot in the configs, there's also DungeonDQ and Dungeons2 which just came out. Dungeon Tactics doesn't really add dungeons

I prefer DLD for ease of use with customization and loot but Dungeons2 looks like it has the same, if not more, features

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There used to be a really good, highly configurable dungeon generator years back, called MCDungeon. I remember using it as early as 2012, at least.
It used easily edited modular room parts for a good blend of hand craft and random generation, it had themed dungeons and special rooms, inter-floor connections (tall rooms, shafts, etc), traps and hazards, deep loot tables, and really cool showdown/treasure rooms, like huge throne rooms or gladiator arenas or crumbling ruin pits. It even had puzzles, and lock combos you'd have to find the solution to elsewhere in the dungeon. The ease of customizability was a lot of fun, I remember editing the loot tables for an early technic-style pack so that I'd replaced all the modpack's early resource grinding with dungeon diving, by making certain ingots treasure rewards, and the occasional machine or frame as possible end-dungeon loot.
The downside was that the creator never managed to integrate it into the game's worldgen so you had to run an external program (with command variables like size, number of floors) to generate them into your existing world.

Nothing I've seen has quite matched it, which is a shame.

While writing this up, though, I looked into it, and holy poo poo, it's still around! Works as recently as 1.11, too, and even got updates for some of the new content (like being able to find cursed loot, and running into the new mobs).
Still not integrated into the worldgen, which is the biggest problem and obviously one most players won't be bothered to deal with, but man, look at some of this stuff.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

holy poo poo this is fantastic

too bad it's not integrated into worldgen like you said, because that would be great

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, that is gorgeous. I may end up using that for my 1.10 pack while I wait for something to come out for 1.12.

I'm kind of surprised there aren't more dungeon mods, but I imagine it's because they're tricky to make so the dungeon gen is interesting, and having to config the loot tables is a pain once other mods start getting involved.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats the hotness quest mod for 1.12/1.11 or whatever and is curse the best way to get it

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Yeah that looks way better than whatever CotT used. Those dungeons were so boring and unfun to explore.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, that is gorgeous. I may end up using that for my 1.10 pack while I wait for something to come out for 1.12.

I'm kind of surprised there aren't more dungeon mods, but I imagine it's because they're tricky to make so the dungeon gen is interesting, and having to config the loot tables is a pain once other mods start getting involved.

I don't even loving know why Battletowers was included in Forever Stranded. Battletowers are never interesting, they never have interesting loot, and they always stick out like far too many, really ugly sore thumbs. I don't know if the other dungeons that pack has had anything interesting because I was never really interested in wading through packs of ~5 husks as well as all the other mobs. I only looted the desert temples for their EnderIO capacitors.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

What does 'not integrated into world gen" actually mean? As in when the world is created/procedureally spawned it never references the mod to stick stuff down?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

What does 'not integrated into world gen" actually mean? As in when the world is created/procedureally spawned it never references the mod to stick stuff down?

I think it means you need to use an item to create the structure.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
No, MCDungeon is a Python utility that you run on an existing MC world, it's not a mod. But it's very easy to use.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

whats the hotness quest mod for 1.12/1.11 or whatever and is curse the best way to get it

The only two options for questing are Hardcore Quest Mode and Better Questing, and they're not available for 1.12 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Meskhenet posted:

It means it's not actually a mod, it's more like a map editor (albeit an automatic one). You save and close your world, then run an external program and point it at your world's save file. It picks a nice emptyish spot and generates a dungeon there. It can generate multiple at once, and you can enter variables like how far from spawn, what sort of spread, what blocks to avoid building through, how many levels/how big (or what range), etc. It also reads from saved .cfg files for loot, which can be customized. When it's done, you close that program and re-enter your world, which now has the dungeon(s) in it. Dungeons can only generate in areas you've already generated though, so it's best to roam around a little and have the world load those areas in for the first time to create them; if you haven't moved from spawn your world as it's generated is going to be very small and you won't have much space for dungeons to generate into..
Integrated into worldgen would just mean you install a mod and you run into it during normal play, like you do with most things.