Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It feels like the Cueto cup has sucked all the charm out of the show, like there's not time for those wicked fun skits anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Writer Cath posted:

It feels like the Cueto cup has sucked all the charm out of the show, like there's not time for those wicked fun skits anymore.

That and the main title program being Mundo/Rey when there are a ton of beloved wrestlers on the roster who should have probably already held the title at this point. They've pretty much stopped doing everything people loved about LU.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Charles Gnarwin posted:

That and the main title program being Mundo/Rey when there are a ton of beloved wrestlers on the roster who should have probably already held the title at this point. They've pretty much stopped doing everything people loved about LU.

People love Sexy Star

Theoretically

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like Sexy Star and I also like the build for Rey/Mundo. Everything else on the show isn't clicking though. Snake/Dragon/Lizard/Whatever faction corrupting Drago is bad and neither of the two new guys it introduced are interesting at all; not to mention Cobra Moon is awful.

Pentagon is finally back after missing a ton of time, but I guess that couldn't really be helped.

Cage and the evil gauntlet is silly but fun and gives Cage something to do outside the title picture.

Mil and Puma is always good but we've seen it a lot by this point.

Marty is great in the creepy role, but it's gone on too long. He should have been done after the WMD match. This is also wasting Fenix, although I do like the pairing of him and Melissa.

Son of Havoc is stuck in a feud that's going to take him as far as Killshot's feud is going to take him; which is nowhere.

The Mack is still stuck in the midcard with no interesting fueds in front of him.

Dr Wagner is gone? Was there an angle where he left? I was kind of hoping that Famous B would have a crew by this point and be going places.

Paul London is great, but the Rabbit tribe is too much of a comedy act at a time when they need more serious stuff.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'd say that it's probably Pentagon who is sorely missing the title, and all of the bad blood between him and AAA will make things interesting for a Season 4.

Maybe Cage or Mack, but no one else really should be in consideration. Everyone else is pretty much basically a parttimer or a geek.

Writer Cath posted:

I dunno. This is about the time of the season when they've kind of filled in the Gift of God champion with medallions. The Cueto cup really isn't too different in that sense.

Albeit there's like twice as many matches then you'd be seeing GOTG qualifying, and GOTG has fallen off the race of the earth since Mundo used it like 10? episodes ago. The 5 month break didn't help either.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The tournament has been hurting things because while the brackets have been good, there are too many overbooked finishes. Too much interference from a show that's usually above that.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
What's the status on a possible season 4?

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Ghidzilla posted:

What's the status on a possible season 4?

:Shakes Magic 8 Ball: "Looks good," apparently.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/27/lucha-underground-season-4-renewal-looks-good

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I love that they boo'd Aerostar when he came to stop Pentagon from breaking Drago's arm. This audience respects who the good and bad guys are supposed to be, but the cult of Cero Miedo supersedes everything. Pentagon could shoot a guy in Times Square and his supporters would still follow him.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
as someone that still really digs Pentagon, I was actually a bit disappointed in the crowd on that one. The arm breaking is still a heel move, and Aerostar didn't deserve a sidelining injury for sticking his neck out to help a brainwashed former-buddy.

I get that the crowd as a character in this universe is into Dario's cult of violence, but it's this kind of obnoxiously smarky.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Minus1Minus1 posted:

as someone that still really digs Pentagon, I was actually a bit disappointed in the crowd on that one. The arm breaking is still a heel move, and Aerostar didn't deserve a sidelining injury for sticking his neck out to help a brainwashed former-buddy.

I get that the crowd as a character in this universe is into Dario's cult of violence, but it's this kind of obnoxiously smarky.

I agree and people thought I was dumb for hating the de facto heel turn to close season 2. His character and the crowd reception of him are so at odds that it makes me enjoy both less.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Actually, he's a really cool chaotic neutral who loves violence and it's super cool to see it demonstrated when he tries to destroy the (brainwashed) heel drago and then the face aerostar. The fact that no alliance matters to Penta Dark El 0M Miedo (to the point where ditching the evil sith council still doesn't mean he's "good") is why his appeal is so big and why he fits with the crowd that loves "violence" more than anything.

For that, i'm cool with Pentagon not being a champ yet. His whole character is burning bridges left and right for no real reason. Him ditching Vampiro because he couldn't win right away was great.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pentagon supercedes face and heel. Ditch your miedo and join in on enjoying the violence

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Pentagon is LU's Stone Cold. Crowd loves everything he does and wants to see him hit his move on faces and heels alike. He even came back from a broken neck.

As an aside, and I don't recommend that anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled to read the wikipedia on LU, it's loving stupid that they list how long someone held the title in there according to days rather than episodes.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Writer Cath posted:

Yeah, this week's episode was really egregious in that regard.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Minus1Minus1 posted:

obnoxiously smarky.
The band at the beginning of the show was singing a "THIS IS AWESOME" song.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Pentagon is LU's Stone Cold. Crowd loves everything he does and wants to see him hit his move on faces and heels alike. He even came back from a broken neck.

As an aside, and I don't recommend that anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled to read the wikipedia on LU, it's loving stupid that they list how long someone held the title in there according to days rather than episodes.

Except he's not. Stone Cold gave stunners, he didn't literally kayfabe injure people unless they were an actual blood feud. Pentagon is just an rear end in a top hat on another level. I won't say Pentagon isn't over, but I'm enjoying his current character less and less.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

PaybackJack posted:

I do wonder if there's anywhere bat has the non spoilers list of champions because the Wikipedia guys are amazingly giant dickheads when it comes to spoilers for LU.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Senator Giroux posted:

I do wonder if there's anywhere bat has the non spoilers list of champions because the Wikipedia guys are amazingly giant dickheads when it comes to spoilers for LU.

can we not let a thread degenerate into another stupid argument because Wikipedia has a consistent wrestling spoiler policy that would be irrelevant if this show was produced and run well

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

exploded mummy posted:

can we not let a thread degenerate into another stupid argument because Wikipedia has a consistent wrestling spoiler policy that would be irrelevant if this show was produced and run well

Sure!

Because of the Cueto Cup, I have no idea what Última Lucha is gonna shape up to look like.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Senator Giroux posted:

Sure!

Because of the Cueto Cup, I have no idea what Última Lucha is gonna shape up to look like.

I'll spoiler tag it, but these are my thoughts of where its going from season 3 and aren't taping results

Cueto Cup Finals & World Title match:
I'm thinking that the final is Pentagon/Puma because they've been doing a lot of that work with setting up Puma as being Vampiro's disciple. There's no real other permutation I'm seeing from the quarterfinals that's going to work, since they can only meet in the finals, so I think that's the match. I'm going with Puma, because I think he'll have a better story with either Mundo or Rey. Pentagon's been off in his own rage bubble forever so it doesn't really work too well

World title winner - Mysterio/Mundo - Mundo wins. Rey is a legend, and doesn't need the title, and can totally lose it in a screwy way. Also they're totally building Matanza/Rey, so I don't think that's going to be a threeway at UL3, even if Dario might do that.

Ultima Lucha Tres card:
LU title: Mundo vs Puma

GOTG title: Not sure. I suspect at least Pentagon as a consolation for being a cup finalist, but I dunno who the other 5 or 6 people might be.

Trios title: Snake tribe vs ???, probably set after the Cueto Cup

Matanza vs Rey

Cage vs Mil? - I mean who else do you throw dude with super magical gauntlet out against other than Mil.

Fenix vs Marty. Maybe a mixed tag, with Melissa and Mariposa as partners, but I don't think Melissa wrestles and that would be weird

Killshot vs Dante Fox

I think there'd have to be another 4 or so matches, not sure what they would be.

edit: had an idea for a match as I was reading it over

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 30, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd say the Cueto Cup's strictly OKAY, but it suffers from two storylines that really have no reason to be there:
1) Texano vs being so bland. Famous B's angle was cool all season, and the show being aware with Texano being to plain is good, but they've basically set it up for Texano to come face to face with the chance of a sleezy dude making him grab gimmicks as a finale, as he continues to blandly win his way up the ladder.
2) Havoc's biker gang fit. That's an alright way to open a season, but in the last stretch of a season? with nobody else in the cast getting involved?? Like, if you'd made the biker gang dwell into dark magic, and then reveal that them and the Bunny Tribe are somehow connected (thus giving more Havoc/Mascarita friendship) then you'd have something. As it is, it's just taking vignette time away from all the other cool things.
The first round has its fair shares of flat matches, but the second round is mostly good (and Havoc vs Dante was excellent) yet it still feels like we got too much going on at once and nothing moving forward far enough.

Mil really needed a goal of some sort this season. I'm sure that Ivelisse's injury immediately after setting her up against Catrina threw a big wrench into the show's plans, but you still need to give Mil something because now it just feels like he's a mid-boss standing between Puma and/or Pentagon. They both need to defeat him to prove themselves, but Mil is just kinda standing there, with his biggest foe, Matanza, simply AWOL.

I'm still loving the show, but the flaws are deffo there. Regardless, I still adore what they're doing with Penta at any given time, and Puma's descent into darkness is mostly pretty good. I really hope the ending of the Cueto Cup is Vampiro pitting his kids together and then picking a favorite right there while throwing the other into the shadow realm or whatever.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Havoc's biker gang

Motorcycle club, sir. :colbert:

I believe Madness called it the Invisible Cult Motorcycle Club, too. :ohdear:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The tournament has been really good but too many of the matches have ridiculously overbooked endings. Some make it work - the Rabbit Tribe matches were fun. But the Worldwide Underground are creeping up the nWo Meter in regards to frequency and relevance of their run-ins.

The other issue to me has been the tighter refereeing for almost no reason. Lucha Underground has worked with pretty solid internal consistency, so to have a shift like this only works if given and explanation. There has been discussion by commentary but it's not enough.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
By the way calling Pentagon LU's Austin is also stupid as hell because the promotion isn't built around him and also he's not a draw at all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SamuraiFoochs posted:

By the way calling Pentagon LU's Austin is also stupid as hell because the promotion isn't built around him and also he's not a draw at all.

yeah, he's basically their Dean Ambrose

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

Dean moves merch so no. LU barely has any.

Also Dean has a better written character. Damning with faint praise but really Pentagon is cool as hell but that doesn't mean his character isn't completely and totally one dimensional. The recent stuff with Seth is better characterization than anything Pentagon has ever been involved with.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 31, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

:agreed: 1000000%

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Those season 1 crowds were sparse until Penta El Cero Dark Miedo Gon started breaking arms for his maestro. Prince Puma is LU's Lex Luger.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Has Pentagon had any development following the double-arm break? I'm a little surprised that little reckoning didn't prompt a shift of some sort.

Pentagon status: still his own worst enemy.

Like Ambrose????!!!?!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

Those season 1 crowds were sparse until Penta El Cero Dark Miedo Gon started breaking arms for his maestro. Prince Puma is LU's Lex Luger.

Exactly. And when a guy gets that over you turn him so you have a top face. That's why they did the double turn with Austin and Bret. The top face of LU shouldn't be Rey.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pentagon is way more charismatic than lovable alcoholic Dean Ambrose could ever hope to be hahahaha. It's also tough to compare character development on LU against WWE considering the volume of television the latter produces. As far as merch goes Penta moves a ton at live events, not sure about online.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pentagon's constantly a top merch seller, easy

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Pentagon's constantly a top merch seller, easy

Yeah, all 500 shirts LU has produced. All I'm saying is LU isn't trying to make money. It's a passion project. If they were smart they'd have made Pentagon an Austin-esque face (that's NOT what he is) and make him champ. loving Kobra Moon has had more screen time than Pentagon recently.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also Dean has a better written character.

Mmmmmmmmnope.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah, all 500 shirts LU has produced. All I'm saying is LU isn't trying to make money. It's a passion project. If they were smart they'd have made Pentagon an Austin-esque face (that's NOT what he is) and make him champ. loving Kobra Moon has had more screen time than Pentagon recently.

nah, LU is trying to make money, they're just sub-TNA levels of good at it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Exactly. And when a guy gets that over you turn him so you have a top face. That's why they did the double turn with Austin and Bret. The top face of LU shouldn't be Rey.

I would quit this show and wrestling forever if Penta ever turned face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm now imagining Dean/Brock with the Pentagon/Matanza booking and it's hilarious. Just Dean manhandling Brock like he was nothing.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How can people say Pentagon is LU's Austin when Pentagon has never been in a movie about Adam Sandler playing football?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

When I said Pentagon was LU's Austin I mean 96-97 Austin, not tentpole of the whole promotion 98-99 Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

When I said Pentagon was LU's Austin I mean 96-97 Austin, not tentpole of the whole promotion 98-99 Austin.

That makes more sense actually but he should be the latter and LU is Stupid As gently caress for not doing so.

• Locked thread