Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
My favorite weapons using 'shotgun' ammo in Fortnite is the Slug Gun and the Firework Pistol. One is great single target weapon, the other has solid AoE and pushes Husks around and to the ground reliably. None of which count as a shotgun ingame. I just don't have room for a third gun sharing that pool, even if I had fun with the Bearcat earlier in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Can anyone tell me where the hell to find Teddy Bears and Server Racks? I can't find them, even after tearing up several entire suburbs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got one of those Dragon pistols and they are.... very interesting!

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Can anyone tell me where the hell to find Teddy Bears and Server Racks? I can't find them, even after tearing up several entire suburbs.

Server racks are rare. It took me, I think, 3 days to finish off a server rack daily. One of the possible buildings is an unremarkable patch of concrete with a deep bunker underneath. One of the rooms in the bunker will contain a single server rack. The bunker entrance isn't particularly remarkable, so it's not like you can quickly scan a map the same way you can search for Fire Stations or Hospitals.

Basically I'm saying that if you get the server rack daily you use your quest reroll on it.

Teddy bears should be in house bedrooms? I know I've seen them, but I don't have any idea how common or uncommon they are.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
You can find teddy bears in cars also. Had one in a fire truck the other day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sushibandit posted:

My main complaint about shotguns isn't their damage, although it tends to feel really anemic for most of them unless you're practically in melee range. No, my main complaint about every shotgun I've used so far is that they fall victim to the fucktarded "shotguns are a 70 degree damage cone in front of you lolololol" school of thought.

There are the single shot assault rifles that use shotgun shells and they're basically semi auto slug guns (the rare version is called a slug gun, actually). I haven't gotten a good schematic for one yet but it might be the kind of mid range shotgun* you're looking for?

* technically an assault rifle.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
The heavy shotgun is a pretty decent mid-range gun, with a pretty narrow spread. I still prefer the auto shotgun, though.

Also server racks are found in the forest, usually underground, but occasionally I've stumbled across those survivor shacks loaded up with 4 of them. In the suburbs there's a daycare that can spawn with a big inflatable rainbow out front. It contains ~7 teddies.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Any tricks to getting hero xp at a decent click? It's probably the one thing that I'm not gaining at what I feel is an alright rate and I don't want to start retiring heroes.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think I got a bunch from the Scrap book - have you been using that?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Any tricks to getting hero xp at a decent click? It's probably the one thing that I'm not gaining at what I feel is an alright rate and I don't want to start retiring heroes.

Mulch any defenders you're not using into it, and do the random Play With Others because odds are they're doing a storm shield defense and those give a ton of hero xp.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So when it turns night time and music gets all spoooooky and stuff but nothing really comes of it. After the first few missions do monsters spawn at night or something? Also how do you allow people to build in your home base

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So when it turns night time and music gets all spoooooky and stuff but nothing really comes of it. After the first few missions do monsters spawn at night or something? Also how do you allow people to build in your home base

The night just means the storm is near, or you are within the area of the storm spawn with tendrils. I recommend turning music off. Why? Vaults and Loot Chests have specific sounds to them, they sound like glittery fairies with bell shoes dancing together on a fishing pole, don't ask just go with it. I am talking about peter pan sized fairies, not when tink goes all big in Hook, but when she is trapped within a lamp. Also, not just one fairy, but a multitude, it is like a fairy ball, with a symphony of fairies playing Bach and Beethoven, all of them dancing in unison, but something happens and it becomes a jumbled mess of sound, due to their bell shoes of course. It is easier to hear this with the music off.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Uh it sounds like soothing adult contemporary you pleb. :colbert:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Jesus, I have hit a wall at 17. I have all my squads at 3 slots and levelled up all of them that I can and am out of survivor XP. poo poo is taking forever to kill.

This is quickly turning into a Korean style grind game

If you are thinking of buying it

DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON THIS GAME

Raged fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 31, 2017

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I got an epic spear and a legendary one, and the former rolled nothing but attack buffs while the latter has a mishmash of different bennies, Should I assume the epic spear is generally superior?

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Caidin posted:

I got an epic spear and a legendary one, and the former rolled nothing but attack buffs while the latter has a mishmash of different bennies, Should I assume the epic spear is generally superior?

In this case, probably. A single extra +% damage buff will make up the difference in stats between epic and legendary pretty easily, plus they require less-rare resources to craft. Legendary weapons do tend to have better durability though, so it could be a wash depending on how you play.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I reached level 19 without really putting in much effort, not sure exactly how that works. I get 70 fortitude from my squads and have 107 overall so that seems to make the biggest difference.

I've got so many different heroes but I don't really want to get rid of any because they seem like they might be valuable. Actually I usually have way too many blueprints/survivors/etc and it's hard to decide what to dispose of.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Check missions rewards. Find one that reward hero XP. Do that one. Then do it again. Don't think about IF playing it again, as soon it end, queue again. then queue again and again. Just click, don't think.

You will end with a hilarious stack of XP, like 20.000xp. Too bad you will then be capped by unlocking in the skills tree. So remember to stack progressing your skill tree to these unlocks.

Inzombiac posted:

I got one of those Dragon pistols and they are.... very interesting!

I got one on my first llamas when I bought the game, and I am in level 38-ish missions and is still useful. Do some ridiculous high damage and 2 shells in the mag is not bad. It 2 shots the stuff that can't oneshot. Its very usefull against special enemies like trolls and the big tank hulk.
I just don't like it because looks goofy and is annoying to be constantly reloading.

I am leveling up the flare pistol. I like the special effects to it. Bounce on walls, the explosion knoff-of monsters. On a normal game it would be nerfed, but here maybe I will end with a awesome tool in the endgame.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 31, 2017

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The firework pistol is a beautiful gun and I love it

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

My main issue with progression at this point (~27 rating, 1/3 of the way through plankerton questline) is that the missions I need to be doing for my quests and that would give me more than a pittance of exp don't tend to have the materials I need (rain, mostly) to keep upgrading my heroes, weapons and survivors. So I have to decide whether I want to unlock more areas/continue the storyline, or be able to upgrade my stuff and stay at a reasonable powerlevel.

Tei posted:

I just don't like it because looks goofy and is annoying to be constantly reloading.

Playing as one of the soldier subclasses that have the 40% reload speed passive, and also slotting a squad hero with 20% reload speed passive does wonders for slow-reloading weapons like the shredder and other heavy weapons, or weapons you're going to be reloading all the time.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Tei posted:

Check missions rewards. Find one that reward hero XP. Do that one. Then do it again. Don't think about IF playing it again, as soon it end, queue again. then queue again and again. Just click, don't think.

You will end with a hilarious stack of XP, like 20.000xp. Too bad you will then be capped by unlocking in the skills tree. So remember to stack progressing your skill tree to these unlocks.

I got one on my first llamas when I bought the game, and I am in level 38-ish missions and is still useful. Do some ridiculous high damage and 2 shells in the mag is not bad. It 2 shots the stuff that can't oneshot. Its very usefull against special enemies like trolls and the big tank hulk.

I am leveling up the flare pistol. I like the special effects to it. Bounce on walls, the explosion knoff-of monsters. On a normal game it would be nerfed, but here maybe I will end with a awesome tool in the endgame.

I think the quickest way to level the skill tree is just going into the random assist mission. Those are usually help a random dude defend their base. They seem to give way more skill xp than the usual missions.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Raged posted:

Jesus, I have hit a wall at 17. I have all my squads at 3 slots and levelled up all of them that I can and am out of survivor XP. poo poo is taking forever to kill.

If u hit a wall at 17 ur bad and don't know how to play

end of story

nice meltdown

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cheen posted:

If u hit a wall at 17 ur bad and don't know how to play

end of story

nice meltdown

Agreed.. this guy needs to GET GOOD.

and I would guess level up and evolve his guns and traps.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
If you're on just the standard game then I think 17-18 sounds about right for things starting to slow down. I've spent a bit more, and things are starting to slow at 20.

It sounds like he might be missing a few survivor squad slots. I'm guessing the ones in the research tree. You'll likely want to unlock those next, as survivors are some of the biggest boosts to your FORT.

For me, the current bottleneck seems to be the tech and skill trees. There are tons of survivor slots and +FORTs in there. But that seems like it's designed to be the main source of progress.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I do actually think that far too many people are putting far too much emphasis on weapons and not nearly enough on decent fort design and traps.

I've built mission forts with friends that, save for fighting off the big bads, we probably could have just babysat and watched. Traps are good. But you have to use them smartly.

One of my favorite designs is a gauntlet tunnel with spike floors (to slow them down) wall darts on both sides and a launcher on the end wall. They run through this thing only to make it to the end and get pushed right back through it again.

Edit:. On that same thought, take 10-15 minutes and look at how the AI decides to path on YouTube or whatever. Essentially they're looking for the easiest way in via total wall health between them and the objective. So if you reinforce the crap out of everything and then leave a wall (such as the one I mentioned with the wall trap) only upgraded once, or without extra walls behind it, they'll funnel into there.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 31, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I've played so many games where we build elaborate and clever traps but then then rest of the team keeps dumping ammo into the husks as they spawn.

You won't lose if they get a little bit into the kill box, ya nerds!

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

A good trap and fort setup is essential if you're playing solo past the level 5 missions. Traps are incredibly powerful. Also I still haven't gotten a wall spike schematic what the heck.

Also fun thing I learned last night: later on the storm can change directions in the middle of a wave!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I do actually think that far too many people are putting far too much emphasis on weapons and not nearly enough on decent fort design and traps.

I don't know If I have posted it here.

My current base design. V shaped walls perimeter with player jumps.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/891631436893212672

I don't think traps will be very effective in this game, because is spiritual successor of Orcs must die. But I am wrong often :P

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I really like the game, though I do see two fairly major hurdles.

1) To evolve your heroes and survivors you need training manual that seem to only come from retiring heroes and survivors of rare quality and up. The primary source for rare and up heroes and survivors is through llama drops. So if you plan on having more than one hero leveled up and current, it's gonna be painful if they don't add a way to farm/acquire them elsewhere. I've seen a suggestion floated that you could trade in so many water drops or lightning bottles for them, or just make them via transform.

2) Actual weapon drops are rare and frequently very underleveled for the content they drop in. They also come very damaged to boot. The weapon schematic RNG situation would be much easier to swallow if you could find decent weapons in decent shapes from maps. This would also serve to keep players from feeling like they're stuck with a single weapon type because "well, it's my legendary". They'd feel more like a cool thing to use up than instant recycle material.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I've played so many games where we build elaborate and clever traps but then then rest of the team keeps dumping ammo into the husks as they spawn.

You won't lose if they get a little bit into the kill box, ya nerds!

Traps take longer to make than ammo. Never not shooting.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Tei posted:

I don't think traps will be very effective in this game, because is spiritual successor of Orcs must die. But I am wrong often :P

That's a pretty cool design. When lobbers/mortars start showing up, I'd add central walls and another level of roof to the top of the building (like a turtle shell) and probably extend the ground-level floors out one more tile with a full ring of ground spikes and 1-high walls to slow them down enough for easy gunplay.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Before I saunter over to SAMart, did anyone want, or know someone, who wanted a Standard key for $20 USD paypal? My skinnerbox just got upgraded.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I've built mission forts with friends that, save for fighting off the big bads, we probably could have just babysat and watched. Traps are good. But you have to use them smartly.

One of my favorite designs is a gauntlet tunnel with spike floors (to slow them down) wall darts on both sides and a launcher on the end wall. They run through this thing only to make it to the end and get pushed right back through it again.

Edit:. On that same thought, take 10-15 minutes and look at how the AI decides to path on YouTube or whatever. Essentially they're looking for the easiest way in via total wall health between them and the objective. So if you reinforce the crap out of everything and then leave a wall (such as the one I mentioned with the wall trap) only upgraded once, or without extra walls behind it, they'll funnel into there.

Traps require you to level an additional schematic, and an additional FORT stat. If you're good you can get by with Offense and a gun. And shooting is for everyone but the trap building, while trap building is fun for no-one but the trap building. Stand on the firing line and shoot! The buildings will be your HP stat. (You also save SO MUCH TIME when the only resources you have to replenish are wood and metal. Seriously every mission can be finished in a day while remaining resource positive.)

You're not wrong. But at the same time people can engage with the game in a spectrum from trap mazes to blockhouses.

Saxophone posted:

I really like the game, though I do see two fairly major hurdles.

1) To evolve your heroes and survivors you need training manual that seem to only come from retiring heroes and survivors of rare quality and up. The primary source for rare and up heroes and survivors is through llama drops. So if you plan on having more than one hero leveled up and current, it's gonna be painful if they don't add a way to farm/acquire them elsewhere. I've seen a suggestion floated that you could trade in so many water drops or lightning bottles for them, or just make them via transform.

2) Actual weapon drops are rare and frequently very underleveled for the content they drop in. They also come very damaged to boot. The weapon schematic RNG situation would be much easier to swallow if you could find decent weapons in decent shapes from maps. This would also serve to keep players from feeling like they're stuck with a single weapon type because "well, it's my legendary". They'd feel more like a cool thing to use up than instant recycle material.

On weapon drops, if you want to play with scavenged guns then you probably need to be an outlander who has Keen Eyes. Also, they're not underleveled for the content they're in. It's just "appropriately leveled" equipment as the devs envisioned it all feels like poo poo. A blue 17 melee weapon in a level 19 zone sucks to use, but it's level appropriate for a party of 4 to be using level 17 guns. A level 15 isn't balanced against four level 15 players, which is why level 15 missions stop giving full commander experience long before you hit power level 15. Honestly though, they're fine for just killing the occasional group of husks that wake up while you're tearing up the landscape.

You already can make training manuals from nothing. Step by grindy time-gated step.
1A: You need a source of raw materials. Mini Llamas from helping out storm shield defenses are the best source. This will also help you with alternate step 1B.
2A: Open those mini llamas when you're low on raw materials, otherwise just leave the tokens in storage. Your inventory is not unlimited, but your storage for llama tokens is.
OR
1B: You need a source of raw materials. Level up spare green quality heroes to level 20.
2B: Send your extra heros on expeditions that reward survivor caches. This will give you a drip feed of green and white quality survivors.
THEN
3: Run Rescue the Survivors* missions all the time.
4: Combine 4 white quality survivors into one green survivor. Repeat this until you have 5 green survivors.
5: Combine 5 green quality survivors into one blue survivor.

Trap Designs and Weapon designs are a whole lot worse to make, because they fuse based on research points instead of a farmable resource. And because there's not a constant dripfeed of low level schematics available, so you have to transform survivors into white quality weapons and traps. But in practice a true F2P account would only need one gun while they'll need one hero and, at a minimum, 16 survivors to even the stats gap against whales enough.

*These missions get hard to perfect as mission level increases. There are more enemy groups and patrols that are unattached to the combat related survivors, but will happily join in when the fighting starts. If you're not confident in your weapons then nobody is going to mind if you stick near them. I can reliably solo the Defend the Drone group events and I still appreciate an extra gun for saving survivors.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I reached level 19 without really putting in much effort, not sure exactly how that works. I get 70 fortitude from my squads and have 107 overall so that seems to make the biggest difference.

I've got so many different heroes but I don't really want to get rid of any because they seem like they might be valuable. Actually I usually have way too many blueprints/survivors/etc and it's hard to decide what to dispose of.

That was a problem for me also the - viability of can heroes. You don't really know which one to keep and which to get rid of. Keep heroes that correspond with weapon types you want to play, such as soldier for assault rifles, outlander with pistol damage buffs, ninja with edged, constructor with blunt as a few examples. The increase in damage the heroes have will have a significant impact and improvement on the damage you do.and gameplay. I go from 300 headshot damage on my constructor to over 650 when playing a soldier. A lot of you will hit a wall toward the end of plankerton, the way to bypass this is to team up with decently leveled players around your level, increase skills, increase your research, and of course survivors. Poke goons on discord to see which weapons they have available. I recommend using legendary weapons due to the increased durability, but only if you can sustain it. As you progress you use up a poo poo ton more ammo, so start thinking about using traps in missions, don't hord it, use it.

Also play with others, there are picks in the research tree that are party skills, that increase party stats.

Equate fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 31, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Raged posted:

Disagree.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tei posted:

I don't know If I have posted it here.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/891631436893212672

The inverted pyramid looks neat, but you sacrifice a wall trap.

It did just give me an idea for a pattern to keep mobs looping around while walking headfirst into wall darts... hmmm....

code:
           \ < ramp to angle them away and start the cycle over again
           | < wall electric thing
husk->  _ _| < wall darts 
        ^ ^ spring up trap
        | spikes of some sort

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I got an Epic Automatic sniper rifle, I evolved it and dump a bunch of xp into it and its pretty awesome. Just an AR with a scope when needed.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Skandranon posted:

code:
           \ < ramp to angle them away and start the cycle over again
           | < wall electric thing
husk->  _ _| < wall darts 
        ^ ^ spring up trap
        | spikes of some sort

I don't know how well that ramp works, I know it works well 1 story up, but 2? I never tested with two.

This is also from the developers.

Homebase Power is key

Unlock survivor slots - Survivor Squads account for the majority of your Homebase power. Make sure to slot matching leaders to squad, and then personalities to leaders when you can.
Level Up Uncommon (green) Survivors - They are an efficient way to gain power in Plankerton. Most of the XP is returned when you retire them. You need to spend survivor XP to gain power, don’t horde!
Slot and level up your Support and Tactical Heroes - These Heroes share their stats to the primary hero and provide significant boosts to health, shields, and ability damage. Even Uncommon Heroes are huge wins here.
Research provides power over time - Make sure to gather this every day and upgrade the F.O.R.T. stats and unlock Survivor slots.
Play missions for Drops of Rain and Survivor XP. You’ll need Drops of Rain for evolution, and you’ll need lots of Survivor XP to level all those Leads and Survivors.
Team up with others - Teaming up provides big boosts to Homebase power. A portion of your F.O.R.T. stats are shared with each party member.

How to pick appropriate difficulty missions

Your level for combat is based on three numbers - Homebase Power, Hero Power, Weapon Power - When all these match and you play a matching difficulty you will be on level for game.
If one of those numbers is below focus on improving that area.
What happens if you are off level? You need more bullets, you are more squishy, you build more to slow husks down, generally the game feels more grindy.
F.O.R.T. Stats Explained
Fortitude - Improves health. If you are getting killed too fast you may not have enough Fortitude.
Offense - Improves weapon damage, both melee and ranged. If it takes too long to kill husks, focus on Offense.
Resistance - Improves shield and shield regen. Best way to improve your survivability for quick moving players.
Tech - Improves ability damage, and traps. Key for Ninja’s skills, and players who use lots of traps.
F.O.R.T. stats are improved through Survivor Squads, Skill Tree, and Reasearch Tree. They are the primary driver of Homebase power.

Getting More Stuff

Mission Alerts - You may have noticed some zones with a little clock on them. These have better rewards that can be collected up to three times per day. Watch for these, they have Drops of Rain, XP, Schematics, and V-bucks in rare cases.
Dailies - You get one daily per day, you can have up three, and can abandon one per day and get a new one.
Quests - Look at the Quest Journal, there are quests that provide V-Bucks, Heroes, Schematics, Leads, and Survivors. Do these quests to help unlock things you need. As we iterate we’ll be adding more quests.
Expeditions - Send your extra Heroes out to find Survivors, rewards of these still require more balance, as a passive reward they provide a steady drip of Survivors.
Llamas - Purchased with V-Bucks, Earned from Outpost Defenses (Help a friend!), given as daily rewards either from the Founders Pack or from the Daily Reward progression.
Transform keys - Combine commons, and uncommons to get rares. When you’re ready start combining Survivors to get ones you need.
Sincerely we are here together with you and want these systems to be awesome. Change will happen. Feedback is always appreciated and we are reading it!

Thank you

Darren and Zak

Equate fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Equate posted:

I don't know how well that ramp works, I know it works well 1 story up, but 2? I never tested with two.

The higher level ones shoot them higher up... supposedly. Need to test.

I'd also like to try a carnival strongman trap

code:
                  _
                >| |< 
                >| |< 
                >| |< electric wall traps
husk ->           _|
		  ^ floor launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

You know what would be great is a way to send wood/stone/metal to your storm shield storage from a mission so I can go nuts building up home base with less switching between missions.

• Locked thread