Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm only basing this off the vid, but he also doesn't have any rings equipped, only 1 of 3 jewels in and no diamond up. Granted he only goes to 1.5 mil with conc and ele focus, with the clearing setup he was at like 880k.

Check the config tab. "Crit strikes are lucky" is enabled. Rings dont give him damage, they will have to cover life and resists. Yes he's only using one jewel, but that jewel is a godly 4prop damage jewel. Also, he will loving explode to elemental damage because of incandescent heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Should I take any elemental resist nodes that I can get at in the passive tree, or could that be covered by equipment?

If you're passing by those nodes anyway, they're usually a very efficient use of points (because they're attached to other bonuses that would be desirable by themselves) and give you a lot of freedom to do more with your gear.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've not played this game before but I was talking to a couple of friends about it a few days ago, who explained some things and showed me some videos, and it looks a lot of fun to play. I was told I should wait to start playing until this week when the new patch comes out though, so I'll do that.

One thing I'm not too clear on is how character builds work, because I saw the passive skill tree and that looks very confusing to me, however I do know that skills for abilities you attack with, etc, are gems you slot into your equipment though, unless I'm mistaken?

For example, I generally like 3 types of playstyles:
1) Hitting things really hard with a giant weapon, or dual-wielding, or with a sword and shield (especially if the shield has attacks that let me hit things with the shield).
2) Summoning lots of minions like skelllingtons or zombies or demons or whatever to flood the area and kill things for me.
3) Running around and casting a bunch of damage over time effects onto enemies.

So, if I wanted to do something like these builds, firstly would it be easy to do one of these when I'm just starting the game (especially minions)? How would I actually build a character in one of these ways with the passive and the way the gem system works? How would I get the skill gems needed to try to doing any of this?

Sorry for these dumb questions, I did try reading the OP but even that was overwhelming and somewhat confusing for me and I didn't see anything really basic like this.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

RoboJoe posted:

I've not played this game before but I was talking to a couple of friends about it a few days ago, who explained some things and showed me some videos, and it looks a lot of fun to play. I was told I should wait to start playing until this week when the new patch comes out though, so I'll do that.

One thing I'm not too clear on is how character builds work, because I saw the passive skill tree and that looks very confusing to me, however I do know that skills for abilities you attack with, etc, are gems you slot into your equipment though, unless I'm mistaken?

1) Hitting things really hard with a giant weapon, or dual-wielding, or with a sword and shield (especially if the shield has attacks that let me hit things with the shield).
2) Summoning lots of minions like skelllingtons or zombies or demons or whatever to flood the area and kill things for me.

So, if I wanted to do something like these builds, firstly would it be easy to do one of these when I'm just starting the game (especially minions)? How would I actually build a character in one of these ways with the passive and the way the gem system works? How would I get the skill gems needed to try to doing any of this?

Sorry for these dumb questions, I did try reading the OP but even that was overwhelming and somewhat confusing for me and I didn't see anything really basic like this.

All 3 of those playstyles should be fairly easy to do in 3.0 without any experience. I would suggest you find a guide you like and follow it though, as chances of making a decent character yourself on first try are slim to none. As for how long, the basics can be done within the first 5-10 levels or so, but you would need to invest a lot more time and effort to create a really powerful character. The skills gems are available from quests rewards and vendors, or as random drops from monsters. You can also trade them with other players.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://clips.twitch.tv/SullenInquisitiveNigiriTF2John

*In server admin voice* "There will be death. Server death."

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

TheRat posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SullenInquisitiveNigiriTF2John

*In server admin voice* "There will be death. Server death."

Wrong thread duder

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He means that a PUBG streamer talking good about PoE means that a shitload of people will play PoE.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Wrong thread duder

What thread should I post a clip about path of exile in then?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

Yes, and yes. Take them if you need them and remove them when you no longer need them.

Speaking of respect points: Can a node in the middle of a path be removed, or can nodes at the ends of paths can only be removed?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

What thread should I post a clip about path of exile in then?

The pillars of eternity thread.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of respect points: Can a node in the middle of a path be removed, or can nodes at the ends of paths can only be removed?
everything has to be connected

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

You cannot break a path, it must always be connected. The only exceptions are shenanigans with Scion ascendancy and the jewel Intuitive Leap.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah the amount of coverage this upcoming expansion/league has I imagine they're going to smash through the current record for number of players.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Elentor posted:

He means that a PUBG streamer talking good about PoE means that a shitload of people will play PoE.

I saw something that was definitely not PoE being played and figured it was a mis-post.

I should just stop clicking on Twitch links.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

You cannot break a path, it must always be connected. The only exceptions are shenanigans with Scion ascendancy and the jewel Intuitive Leap.

So basically if I get some node(s) that I may want to refund later, I shouldn't path through them. Good to know.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You can either do that or build up a path around the nodes you want to refund until you get 2 unbroken paths then refund those nodes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RoboJoe posted:

Well, you can just jump in and play and learn as you go. It's not too bad and respec points aren't really too expensive, so it's easy enough to totally change your build. But, if you want to use the next few days before 3.0 hits for planning:

Firstly, look up skill gems and decide what skill you want to use as your primary damage-dealer. This may or may not be available early on, that's okay - you can get through the first few acts with a different skill and it doesn't matter much in the end; all of the gems except some high-level support gems can be bought from vendors for a low price. Also think about support skills, like curses (debuffs), auras, temporary buffs, and movement skills, that you might want to use, though these are a lot more fluid usually than the core skill you're building around and can be experimented with as you play.

Then, look up ascendancy classes - each basic character class has three. These are the real "classes" - each has their own mini-tree of bonuses that synergize well with particular skills and playstyles. Decide on an ascendancy class that goes well with your skill - an elemental spellcaster might want Inquisitor or Elementalist, a zombie summoner would want to be a Necromancer, etc. Decide your basic character class by looking at these rather than trying to immediately comprehend the whole passive grid - if a particular ascendancy class goes well with a skill, you can generally feel confident that there will be nodes relevant to that skill near that class's starting point on the grid.

After that, you can just start playing and build outward from your class's starting point. If you keep your skills and ascendancy bonuses in mind, it isn't that complicated even as a beginner to figure out what sort of passive nodes are desirable to make those skills stronger. Using zombies? Try to get lots of minion-related nodes and +max zombies bonuses. Every character needs defenses, too. Try to travel across the grid through big bonuses rather than the little stat nodes, but don't focus too much on staying local to your starting point either - most builds will benefit from branching into the neighboring class areas too. As a beginner, you probably won't design the sort of tightly efficient build that veterans do on your first try, but that's fine - you can get through everything but the toughest content with the sort of modestly efficient build you can make just by focusing on improving modifiers relevant to your skills and improving your life, mana, resistances, etc. enough that you don't die often.

It seems like an incredibly daunting and complex mass of information now, and yeah, there are even more dimensions to it than I've mentioned - things like support gems and gear - but PoE really is pretty good about easing you into the deep end and you can figure out what you need as you go a lot of the time.

Everything I've mentioned above can be looked into on the PoE wiki.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

RoboJoe posted:

The OP is super dense, but the part you are looking for is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZtq6FSebE&list=PL7GqFLebBU8inlrcqTZFXtIwP362XrdNe. Its a great introduction into how PoE operates, which is super different than other games (skills are actually items you slot into other items and you get them via quest rewards, vendors and drops, for example).

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 31, 2017

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

RoboJoe posted:

Look up "SRS" guides for 3.0. The spell it's based around is Summon Raging Spirit and you flood the screen with angry fire skulls that absolutely mulch anything they get in contact with. It's a good starter build too.

You get the spell from a quest really early on so you can start spamming fire skulls right away. Then as you level you'll get quest reward support gems that you'll link to SRS that will increase your skulls damage.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It might be worthwhile to toss a one-line description of each ascendancy class into the class section of the OP, so new players can easily see what the classes are designed to focus on.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Thanks for all those replies everyone, that's all super helpful for me! I'm looking forward getting into this game when the new patch is live :)

I'll especially watch through the beginner guides that Lechtansi linked, I must have missed that while looking through the OP, apologies. Also thanks Jazerus too for that really helpful breakdown of skills, passives, and how to plan/do a build, I'll check out that wiki too.

I'll definitely look up the build Twist And Pout! mentions, that sounds a fun thing I like the idea of.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It might be worthwhile to toss a one-line description of each ascendancy class into the class section of the OP, so new players can easily see what the classes are designed to focus on.

This is a great idea.

RoboJoe posted:

I'll definitely look up the build Twist And Pout! mentions, that sounds a fun thing I like the idea of.

I will second that Summon Raging Spirits recommendation. It's enjoyable, strong for leveling, hard to mess up, and will teach you a lot of the game's mechanics as you progress. Start as the Witch class and eventually you'll be able to become the powerful Necromancer sub-class.

The big patch on Friday also greatly improves the game's tutorial and even adds an in-game guide that expands as you level up to cover more in-depth topics and game features. PoE will be much more newbie-friendly than is has been up to now.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

If I am introducing PoE to a new player and I know they played Planescape Torment, I always recommend SRS. It's fun summoning tons of Mort-on-fire to headbutt poo poo to death.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Morte :colbert:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Elentor posted:

There are actually a bunch of bigger streamers planning to play. Lirik alone has ~30k viewers each time he streams. That would be a ton of people who normally know nothing about PoE being exposed to the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cant decide if i want to start with the rf zerker or alks dual wield sunder gladiator

ive never played rf or a dual wield melee character before so both would be new experiences.

rf has the cooler mtx...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Eezee posted:

There are actually a bunch of bigger streamers planning to play. Lirik alone has ~30k viewers each time he streams. That would be a ton of people who normally know nothing about PoE being exposed to the game.

Wasn't the clip Rodent linked from Lirik's stream?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My big mistake when I first played back in beta was taking a greedy approach to the passive tree. You should always start by targeting keystone and notable nodes, then find the most advantageous path through them.

As for skills, almost every build has the following:

1: A primary attack link. This usually ends up being a six-link but not for a long time.
2: Buffs and debuffs. This is limited by Mana reserves and how many curses you can apply, so it also develops as you level.
3: A movement skill, almost always linked to faster attacks and some other goodies in a 4-link.
4: A CWDT setup, which gets triggered when you take enough damage. There's a few you often see, like immortal call or curse on hit setups.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Im going rf zerker like a bunch of people unless it's getting nerfed a ton. Rf totems do a poo poo ton of damage and make the leveling trivial once you hit 42 or whatever for soul mantel (a 3 link will kill everything in an instant till like tier 5 maps) but never liked the totem start up time. Made things feel a little janky.

Any leaks on how Dark Pact will scale? I saw it will scale with life and is AoE so I'm wondering if there is anyway to make it work with RF.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Should I go warchief totem berserker or max block sunder gladiator, i haven't really played either to a high level

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anyone done much Storm Burst theorycrafting? MoM Inquis looks potentially decent, depending on the feel of the skill. Other HC league start options to consider - Berserker and, uhh, Pathfinder, Ascendant, and Elementalist?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I think for 3.0 I'm gonna keep it simple and go with a Scion build either based around Cleave, or Double Strike/Spectral Throw. gently caress the meta!

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Someone suggested descriptions of the ascendancy classes and I thought I'd take a crack at it. There are about a hundred caveats to each description, but I think as long as it's stressed that build variation is nearly infinite so these aren't proscribed roles it should be enough to deliver the basic ideas of each one.

e: updated after people added stuff

Witch

Occultist - Focuses on dealing chaos damage and curse potency. Also makes energy shield a much more potent defense. +1 Power Charge and +1 Curse available.

Elementalist - Focuses on dealing elemental damage, creating and spreading ailments. Helps mitigate elemental damage reflection. +1 Golem available.

Necromancer - Focuses on minion boosts, but also allows minion buffs (offerings) to apply to the player. Very potent group support options available.

Shadow

Assassin - Focuses on critical strikes and critical damage, as well as delivering poison and doing more damage with it. +1 Power Charge available.

Trickster - Focuses on damage over time of any flavor, granting bonuses for kills with it. Relies on evasion and energy shield defenses. +1 Frenzy Charge and Power Charge available (together!).

Saboteur - Focuses on being sad while making traps and mines very much more effective. General lack of solid defensive options.

Ranger

Deadeye - Focuses on making projectiles (mostly from attacks, not spells) do fancy things like chain and return and apply extra damage. +1 Projectile available.

Raider - Focuses mostly on attack based builds, providing frenzy charge generation and phasing/dodge-based defenses. Lots of movement speed. +1 Frenzy Charge available.

Pathfinder - Focuses on making flasks even more stupidly powerful, providing ailment/bleed immunity and poison delivery.

Duelist

Champion - Focuses on damage mitigation via fortify and being a tank in general, with taunts and minor group support. Permanent Fortify available.

Gladiator - Focuses on blocking attacks and spells and/or making everything bleed to death and possibly explode.

Slayer - Focuses on being badass and cutting things in half with two-handed weapons while leeching their life to sustain their rampages. Slayer Culling Strike™ available.

Marauder

Juggernaut - Focuses on being more of a tank than Champion, but without the group benefits. +1 Endurance Charge Available.

Chieftain - Focuses on fire damage delivered via spell/attack totems, granting combat/defensive bonuses and life leech through them to the player. Ignite immunity available.

Berserker - Focuses on dealing/taking lots and lots of damage and leeching lots and lots of life to survive. 40% Damage multiplier available.

Templar

Inquisitor - Focuses on ignoring resistances to deal obscene amounts of elemental damage, often via melee attacks. Great for spellcasters too. Consecrated ground available.

Hierophant - Focuses on making elemental totems more potent and allows more of them to be summoned. Also offers notable Mind over Matter boosts. +3 Psuedo-Five-Links available.

Guardian - Focuses on providing extra defenses to the player and party members/allies. Multiple support auras available.

Scion

Ascendant - Focuses on nothing except maybe giving extra passive points and tree flexibility. Can take up to two mini-ascendancy nodes that take some flavor from one of the other major ascendancy classes. A little bit of everything, not enough of anything available.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 1, 2017

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

zxqv8 posted:

Assassin - Focuses on critical strikes and critical damage, as well as delivering poison and doing more damage with it. +1 Power Charge available.

Is assassin getting an extra power charge in 3.0?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

deadly infusion change

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Trickster is also +1 Power +1 Frenzy now

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Awesome! posted:

deadly infusion change

Ah okay. I couldn't pull my beta builder up at work, thanks.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Raider should emphasize that it is the Gotta Go Fast class option

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Really wanna know how Dark Pact totems work when you have skeletons out. Do they prioritize blasting your skellies or do they keep selfcasting?

Also wondering how bonkers Dark Pact gets w/ Vaal Skeletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What happens when you let an algorithm write the 3.0.0 patch notes