Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Expense those.

Beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Expense those.

And some Unix books.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

When I was leaving they scheduled an interview with me and the CEO next week. I took that as "Meet with ceo, get offer, figure out if this is the place for you."

The offer came in so fast and unexpected and for almost a 20k bump from what I make now. I don't make stripe money, but we aren't exactly out of the same tax bracket. The entire compensation package is so good that I am confident my pregnant wife will refuse to go back to work after we have our 2nd which is on the way. She will basically murder in my sleep if I don't accept.

Looks like I am purchasing a beanie this weekend and growing a beard. Anybody seen my mac book?

I notice that you omitted the type of work and your opinions on that in your description of job #3.

Were you happy with what the work would be?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sickening posted:

Looks like I am purchasing a beanie this weekend and growing a beard. Anybody seen my mac book?

Oh boy, are you GOING ROGUE? :cheers:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I hate it, I'm not accepting direction from a 24 year old.

I was 24 once, I wouldn't be capable of being a CIO.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I imagine a company with a 24 year old cio is going to be like a real life Linus tech tips.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
nevermind

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 8, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

This effects me because I'm the newest guy. They will both dump work on me so they can satisfy their own interests. There have even been advanced tasks the director has given them specifically because of their insight and experience that they've pushed onto me to complete. And it's all acceptable.

Since they've been around a while, many employees email them their problems. Much of that work is emailed right to me from either of the two. Once I complete the jobs, they email the problem-havers saying it's resolved. But half the time I'm not credited, and I have no way of knowing if they're claiming the resolution for themselves. My reputation is almost entirely in their hands.

Cut out the middleman. Instead of telling your credit-stealing colleagues that the job is done, email the user directly and make it clear you took care of it. That way the users know the "senior techs" aren't personally handling the "really important" issues, and you have a record of your work and that they're passing these tasks off to you.

There's not much you can do about them goofing off and not working, but at least you can make sure your efforts get recognized.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

When I was leaving they scheduled an interview with me and the CEO next week. I took that as "Meet with ceo, get offer, figure out if this is the place for you."

The offer came in so fast and unexpected and for almost a 20k bump from what I make now. I don't make stripe money, but we aren't exactly out of the same tax bracket. The entire compensation package is so good that I am confident my pregnant wife will refuse to go back to work after we have our 2nd which is on the way. She will basically murder in my sleep if I don't accept.

I would have run so fast from your #3 description because I worked at a visual effects shop where everything was about company image and how cool a workplace it was, when in actuality they were sweatshopping the workers.

I would have gone for your description of #1. Honest, laid back company but lots of work to do? That's my jam.. salary would have been an important consideration tho.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sickening posted:

2: Codename: New Company that doesn't know what its doing

I met with non-IT people because the company currently uses a MSP and hates life. They want someone to be a director/CIO to come in and make sense of things. The job is in my same town and is a 4 minute drive. They had an aura of desperation that didn't give me a good feeling but outside of IT things business was booming. Might be a place I could inject myself into and become a key person in the company. New facilities, massive hiring spree, and free reign to do what I want.

I'd go with umber two after firmly establishing I'd have carte blanche to remake things in my image, plus a mandate from CEO that people must Do As I Say in terms of IT policy.

I had this gig once and it was loving awesome. I built a department, redid the infrastructure and learned a fuckton in the process- all of which translated into a sweet slot on a resume and a bump in my resume, a jump to Principal Consultant for my next gig and some sweet sweet stocks the gig after that.

A++ Would fly again.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm just there to work. The two are there for work and something else. It's unbalanced and unfair. I don't know what to do. They are sort of essential to the current operations so they're in some ways invincible. I don't want to rat but I don't want to be exploited. I feel that any complaining I do would just hurt me more in the long run. Like I said, my reputation is almost entirely in their hands. Me being a good employee equals me letting them do as they please. How can I improve my situation? Thanks for reading.

At the end of the day no matter what you do it sounds like this isn't a good fit for you.

Do the work, document what you do, learn as much as you can, and yotj the gently caress out of there. It's never going to change, you won't win the fight, and after you leave those guys will hire somebody else to make their lackey.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Meltdowns are always welcome in email I'm CC'd in.

The only time I've seen one go on for more two messages is when someone sent an email sent an email to group that apparently had the entire company as a member. I got my bonus entertainment in that. First you get the usual bounces around to several thousand addresses, and the inevitable replies asking everyone to not reply-all, and the comedians decided to reply to that with a "I agree". Eventually a VP loses his god damned mind and starts threatening everyone who has or will replied to the chain with disciplinary action up to and including termination. By the time he got to that stage, It was unclear if by "termination" meant end their employment or their lives.

That's about when the messaging team killed the email and then sent out a reminder to everyone (BCC'd this time) to use BCC and double check distribution lists/group membership when sending group emails.

About 2 months after that an email was sent out (again BCC'd) thanking VP for his service and that was leaving to pursue other opportunities. I'm sure that last part is coincidence.

I still have the entire chain (from like 3 years ago) in it's own special folder in an archive. But it would be such a pain in the rear end to remove all identifying information to share with the world I'll probably end up getting rid of that masterpiece. As is, I can only pull it out to obsess over it like I'm Charles Foster Kane.

Something like this happened when I was at Geek Squad. Some idiot in the corporate office sent out a Squad-wide notification email, but addressed it to the DL for every single store. The 'please stop replying' emails crashed Best Buy's email system - twice. It lead to a higher-up replying-all to threaten termination for anyone else that replied-all. After that, for the most part it was used by disgruntled people as a way to air all their problems with the company on their last day, it was great.

I too saved that chain, just in case i ever ended up needing to use it. I wound up doing what was technically an internal transfer at the time, so I didn't get to contribute :(.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MANime in the sheets posted:

Something like this happened when I was at Geek Squad. Some idiot in the corporate office sent out a Squad-wide notification email, but addressed it to the DL for every single store. The 'please stop replying' emails crashed Best Buy's email system - twice. It lead to a higher-up replying-all to threaten termination for anyone else that replied-all. After that, for the most part it was used by disgruntled people as a way to air all their problems with the company on their last day, it was great.

I too saved that chain, just in case i ever ended up needing to use it. I wound up doing what was technically an internal transfer at the time, so I didn't get to contribute :(.

Reminds me of way back in college, some email came in addressed to a weird list name I'd never heard of, and it turned out it was in fact an email list of all undergrad AND grad students (about 25,000 people) and the senders had failed to put the list name in BCC. Out of curiosity, I sent a whois <listname> to the listserver, and.....got a response (!) - whoever set up the list hadn't removed default whois rights. So I saved the entire list of addresses, just for the laughs (lulz were unheard of at that point, not that I would have used that phrase anyway), and mentioned it to a couple friends to laugh about how stupid the list admin had been. A year later one of those friends was running for student body president or something dumb, and asked if he could have the list, at which point I said "sure but you didn't get it from me". At which point he promptly emailed essentially a "vote for me!" mailer to the entire list.

TURNS OUT, he was not a trustworthy friend (which I mean, running for student politics so that should have been obvious) and rolled on me when they asked him where he got that list of email addresses. However, I never actually got any heat over it - just got an email from someone in IT services demanding to know how I got that list, and when I told him I heard no more about it, so at least they didn't try to blame me for their mistake.

Amusingly when I think about it now I'd be in the admin role and I'd be loving annoyed at that snotnosed kid for adding more work to my day, so I guess there's that. (On the other hand, I'd hope that I'd set the list rights correctly when creating such a list).

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone loving around with PowerApps yet?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone loving around with PowerApps yet?
I've looked at it, I was designing forms in PowerPoint a few weeks ago and I might copy them onto PowerApps, but I don't think my users are going to be filling out forms on a mobile app anytime soon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Whats the longest you guys let an employer wait on replying to an offer?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Long enough to figure out the cost of a new boat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If signs are looking good, I usually ask them at the end of interview what kind of timeframe for a response.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sickening posted:

:f5:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

16 seconds

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Okay, finally figured out what my boss was doing while I was pulling all his dead weight. I am 100% leaving the company, I don't have anything to lose, and he has basically stopped responding to any emails.

It seems, since may of last year, he has almost completely been focused on bitcoins.

It seems that 3/4 of all his internet browsing is bitcoin. It seems to have started when we got crypto'd and he learned how much a bitcoin was worth. Now considering that he has no less than 4 different bitcoin wallets he checks on the daily I assume he is either trading or mining them. Now I have to figure out if I want to check for bitcoin mining software or not. He has 3 desktop monstrosities in his office all running vm's. I can only assume these are using resources in some way. If I am leaving already why should I care right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

Okay, finally figured out what my boss was doing while I was pulling all his dead weight. I am 100% leaving the company, I don't have anything to lose, and he has basically stopped responding to any emails.

It seems, since may of last year, he has almost completely been focused on bitcoins.

It seems that 3/4 of all his internet browsing is bitcoin. It seems to have started when we got crypto'd and he learned how much a bitcoin was worth. Now considering that he has no less than 4 different bitcoin wallets he checks on the daily I assume he is either trading or mining them. Now I have to figure out if I want to check for bitcoin mining software or not. He has 3 desktop monstrosities in his office all running vm's. I can only assume these are using resources in some way. If I am leaving already why should I care right?

If he's running them on company machines in company time, that's the company's money he's stealing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

Denounce him.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

most bitcoin poo poo gets tagged by whatever garbage AV software happens to be running and it should be apparent based upon CPU usage

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

. If I am leaving already why should I care right?

Because what's more glorious than rightfully pinning someone's rear end to the wall on your way out the door?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Because what's more glorious than rightfully pinning someone's rear end to the wall on your way out the door?

You do a company a favour on the way out? Seems like the opposite of burning bridges to me.

But yeah, nail that oval office to the proverbial cross.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Replace all his Bitcoin miners with SETI@home agents...

:goonsay:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Crush him, and post the story in one of the funny Bitcoin threads(all Bitcoin threads are funny Bitcoin threads)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God bitcoins crypto currencies are the loving worst and everyone involved with them in any way is loving terrible

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Clean out his wallets on your way out

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Clean out his wallets on your way out

:laffo:

Totally do this, but make sure you don't touch the wallets for a good long while afterwards :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Well, it seems things might be okay. He might have outsourced his mining.

https://www.genesis-mining.com/ comes up quite a bit through his daily browsing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

From what I've seen online Bitcoin wallets are often self-cleaning.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm having a big political issue at work, and I need some advice.
-snip-
How can I improve my situation? Thanks for reading.

Do you meet with your Director at all or is it always a team thing? Usually a one on one is where you'd mention things (if he's professional and not a douche)
I wouldn't rat them out for things you don't have direct proof of. These guys can likely bury you and already do sandbag you. I'd ask your age etc but honestly you need to be firm about your own responsibilities and deadlines to your coworkers.

So who cares if they show up late and or leave early; say nothing. Do your own work. If they're running a side job out of the business only report it if its something major, not web-surfing research. The guy doing it can justify / erase the logs, you'd be wasting your time. Who cares if they brag about being the toughest nerd on the block? Their behavior is irritating but you need to focus on your own performance. That is why your boss gives the projects to them and not you. Your boss seems like he doesn't care about what his underlings do, so long as they produce results.

If you have the emails where they are asking you to do their work, you have proof that you've been doing their jobs for them.
If your boss isn't a dick: Simply mention to your boss that their requests are impacting your projects/deadlines or making you lose productivity and that you won't be responding to those requests anymore. Quantify that productivity loss if needed and if he agrees BCC your boss whenever this pawning work off on you occurs and when the drama unfolds he at least will know whats going on.

Tickets are always going to come in. Users are always going to need help. It doesn't need to only be you that solves the issues. If it's assigned to the other two guys its their responsibility. If they email you and get no response and ask, say you'll get to things when you have time. Verbally. Then never do it. When the boss asks why poo poo isn't done and they both point at you, he'll start to wonder what he's paying them for.

No one is going to look into them so long as they are performing well. Even if it is by breaking your back. If anything, you need to start documenting your work as when it comes time to let someone go it won't be them.

tldr; Whatever you do, keep it about work and only stuff you can prove. Quantify the work/productivity stuff and don't bring up the other poo poo. It will sound like a story.
(Unless you have witnesses, time stamped pics, and some other form of proof. Your word won't be enough because they've minimized you out of the equation.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

*Ahem*...

We got a pallet of computers, and put a pallet of video cards in them for people to run dual monitors.
They all wound up mining alt-coins for my coworker.

Here's a fun game: Spot the Buttcoin Miners

Through the gap in the rack you can see 2 stacks of ASICs

another 3 stack of ASICs on the top left corner, the 3 milk crates to the right contain computers with 1000+ watt PSU, and 4 R9 - 290x each for a total of 12 cards

For some reason I can't seem to find the pictures of storage closets full of hundreds of ASIC miners. Ambient temps in that closet would peak over 150°F. Power was routed to them by 50' extension cables that ran through the ceiling from an adjacent room that had available outlets.
There were 50 or so desktops that my coworker had crammed whatever bullshit low profile video cards he got the company to pay for in stacks on top of abandoned cubicles.
He spent literally all day checking the bitcoin market and writing front ends and dashboards for his Litecoin mining pool.
Our server room had to have six 30A breakers installed because his bitcoin/litecoin miners took all the power.

This was from my last job. It was a crazy place.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looks like a pro-job.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

But how much did he make from that hilarious operation?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That ladder tray just sitting there wondering when it's going to be used.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My boss saw fit to block imgur at work because "file sharing/image hosting".

The interview on Monday can't come soon enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

George H.W. oval office posted:

But how much did he make from that hilarious operation?

When Litecoin hit $40 (the first time) he would have had a quarter million dollars in LTC. Of course he didn't sell then... (or ever?)

Thanks Ants posted:

That ladder tray just sitting there wondering when it's going to be used.

It did eventually get used. And I did manage to fix a good bit of the infrastructure before I quit.
The problem is that every time I cleaned up and made space, the boss would demand to cram some new piece of poo poo Goodwill server in there somehow and spew wires all over the place OR more bitcoin miners would entropy their way in there.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 31, 2017