Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't find the episode name, but there was an episode of Seaquest DSV where a character describes someone who can't walk as "physically differently abled".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

client posted:

lol everytime

I'll see your X-Files and raise you Murder, She Wrote:

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

The entire first season of Parks and Recreation is pretty much unwatchable in light of the changes they made for the subsequent seasons.

In the first season, Leslie is portrayed as this ditzy, clueless bureaucrat, in a way that could never have sustained multiple seasons. I think they were cribbing too hard off of The Office, which was based on the idea that workplace comedy can only be funny if everyone is bad at and/or indifferent to their job.

From the second season on, they rewrote Leslie as super-competent at her job, but also overbearing and somewhat naive. It creates a really jarring contrast with the first season which makes the entire first season seem like an extended outtake.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You guys remember the Pat sketches from SNL? Where the entire joke is if it's a man or woman? I never found that funny to begin with and it didn't get better with age.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

BluesShaman posted:

X-Files "First Person Shooter"
The first-season episode Ghost in the Machine was godawful, the scriptwriters were pretty much computer-illiterate at the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

You guys remember the Pat sketches from SNL? Where the entire joke is if it's a man or woman? I never found that funny to begin with and it didn't get better with age.
They made a Pat movie.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

A lot of you youngins might not know that Ben Stiller had a short lived sketch comedy show in the early 90s.

I remember thinking it was hilarious at the time. A few years ago I went back and rewatched it- and while some of the sketches still work, SO much of it is steeped in the pop culture of the time that it's almost incomprehensible.

Like, every episode includes 2 or 3 shot-for-shot parodies of commercials that were on tv at the time. I can barely remember most of these commercials, and I pretty much did nothing with my life at the time besides watch tv.

Seriously, can anyone who wasn't around in 1991 possibly make sense of this?
https://youtu.be/SXmFYSNbtII

The U2/Lucky Charms commercial will never not be funny though.
https://youtu.be/C2X8zPYhNag

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Leavemywife posted:

Offensive yes but it still is made into a joke including on these here forum

^Particularly when that picture shows up

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We've been going through King of the Hill and overall one of my all time favorites, but there are some rough patches. In "Junkie Business" a drug addict is hired at Strickland Propane and Hank is unable to have him fired because of the Americans With Disabilities Act. The episode has funny moments, but it is painful to see the show treating the ADA as a terrible burden for a small business because of a strawman addict. Especially when all the Strickland employees begin faking ailments to not work.

A LOT of late King of the Hill has aged really poorly, because that's when Mike Judge started inserting his neocon crank politics front and center into it.

See also: The episode where hipsters convince Bobby and Joseph that panhandling instead of working is cool.

Basically, Mike forgot that the joke is meant to be Hank being old-fashioned and traditional to a fault, instead of him being the Last Sane Man.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's an episode of Seinfeld where Elaine is dating a man named Joel Rifkin, who shares the name of a serial killer. He's content to keep his name until it gets called out at a baseball game. While he and Elaine are exchanging ideas on what to change his name to, Elaine at one point floats the name "OJ" after looking up football player names.

Maybe that's less didn't age well and more ironic, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There's a really recent episode of the Simpsons, from like last year, that was impossibly dated when it came out. Like, it was straight out of the late-90s. Lisa meets a group of rebellious female programmers who teach her that it's okay for girls to like computers, as if that's something that really needed explaining in 2016, and then it follows up this trite revelation from 1994 with a bit of computer illiteracy contemporary to the time when Lisa's project accidentally becomes a sentient AI.

It was so staggeringly anachronistic that I half expected it to become self-aware about it and have like loving Len or the Backstreet Boys guest star.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

There's a really recent episode of the Simpsons, from like last year, that was impossibly dated when it came out. Like, it was straight out of the late-90s. Lisa meets a group of rebellious female programmers who teach her that it's okay for girls to like computers, as if that's something that really needed explaining in 2016, and then it follows up this trite revelation from 1994 with a bit of computer illiteracy contemporary to the time when Lisa's project accidentally becomes a sentient AI.

It was so staggeringly anachronistic that I half expected it to become self-aware about it and have like loving Len or the Backstreet Boys guest star.

This has been an issue with The Simpsons for a while. In the mid-2000s they did an episode where Bart enters a Battlebots-esque fighting robot competition, and I swear it was a good 5-6 years after the brief late 90's fighting robot show craze.

Edit: Speaking of virtual reality stuff - there's a really bad Mad About You episode that deals with that. At one point Helen Hunt uses a VR headset to simulate being on a date with Andre Agassi. And with that, I've done it - I've written the most 90s sentence possible.

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Jul 31, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

letthereberock posted:

At one point Helen Hunt uses a VR headset to simulate being on a date with Andre Agassi
This is the greatest thing I've ever heard

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the Comedy Central episodes of Futurama (the iPhone / Twitter parody one) has a subplot where Leela has an intelligent boil called Susan who sings show tunes with her. It's odd how that dates the episode more than any of the social media stuff.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

South Park doubled and then tripled down on Global Warming being a hoax back in the early 2000s, once because "environmentalists are egotistical liars and some scientists think global warming isn't real" once because "Al Gore, Ambassador of Climate Science, is self-important and sad" and once because "Day after Tomorrow is a stupid movie" (it is, but that's not the point). South Park kind of has a habit of dismissing the imaginary version of an issue popularized in mainstream media because they literally refuse to do an hour's worth of research into anything (They still do this; just look at the "safe space" episode).

They also had a really badly aging episode about transsexualism where they compared gender reassignment surgery to getting plastic surgery to become black or a dolphin, the lesson being that we are who we are when we were born and nothing can ever change that. They never really back tracked on that one, though they recently had a fairly thoughtful episode about gender expression.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A LOT of late King of the Hill has aged really poorly, because that's when Mike Judge started inserting his neocon crank politics front and center into it.

See also: The episode where hipsters convince Bobby and Joseph that panhandling instead of working is cool.

Basically, Mike forgot that the joke is meant to be Hank being old-fashioned and traditional to a fault, instead of him being the Last Sane Man.

Oh man, I really hope Mike Judge isn't a far right neo-con. If he turns out to be the new Scott Adams I'm gonna be bummed for a month.

From what I have heard in interviews Mike Judge is conservative and libertarian, but level headed and doesn't use his work as an attack on perceived enemies. I don't think he is a neo-con, off the top of my head:

-On KOTH, the Army is frequently shown as incompetent, such as when Bill is easily able to steal a tank or how haircuts were costing them $800.
-George W. Bush is shown to have a limp handshake, and it is left ambigious whether Hank voted for him.
-Former Democrat Texas governor Ann Richards makes an appearance and comes across well. Jimmy Carter's appearance goofs on him but he comes across as a good person.

I do agree that the show does take some shots at liberal ideas, like the ADA in Junkie Business and those can be rough spots. Not that liberal ideas are right all the time, but KOTH can fall into strawmen. In Phish and Wildlife hippies invade a park and ruin the gang's vacation. The hippies are portrayed as lazy stereotypes, and Hank foils them by arranging to have park services turned off and telling them to get a job. But neither episode was written by Judge.

On that same note, one of the hippies later shows up working at an organic co-op grocery store. The hippies at the store are disorganized, but Hank learns their food is much better than what he buys at Megalomart. The show is also consistent fair about immigrants, Mexico, smoking being bad.

So overall I think Judge is conservative but level headed and not a spiteful man. Although to be fair to your point I haven't seen all of the later seasons so maybe it did get really bad.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the Comedy Central episodes of Futurama (the iPhone / Twitter parody one) has a subplot where Leela has an intelligent boil called Susan who sings show tunes with her. It's odd how that dates the episode more than any of the social media stuff.

That episode was loving horrible -- not just unfunny, but absurdly mean-spirited -- and I don't understand how anyone could possibly root for Fry/Leela after seeing how he treated her in it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

letthereberock posted:

Seriously, can anyone who wasn't around in 1991 possibly make sense of this?
https://youtu.be/SXmFYSNbtII

Goddammit, I clicked this thinking "it can't possibly be that specific" and as soon as it started I knew exactly which loving commercial they were sending up.

On the other hand, without that knowledge it kind of comes back around to the surrealist humor that's popular with The Kids These Days, so.

YeahTubaMike posted:

That episode was loving horrible -- not just unfunny, but absurdly mean-spirited -- and I don't understand how anyone could possibly root for Fry/Leela after seeing how he treated her in it.

Yeah, Fry was pretty reprehensible in that episode and it's a little weird that they never touched on "how can Leela ever trust him again?" or "is Leela going to wince every time she hears laughter for the next few years?".

On the other hand, it gave us

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Jul 31, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man, I really hope Mike Judge isn't a far right neo-con. If he turns out to be the new Scott Adams I'm gonna be bummed for a month.

From what I have heard in interviews Mike Judge is conservative and libertarian, but level headed and doesn't use his work as an attack on perceived enemies. I don't think he is a neo-con, off the top of my head:

-On KOTH, the Army is frequently shown as incompetent, such as when Bill is easily able to steal a tank or how haircuts were costing them $800.
-George W. Bush is shown to have a limp handshake, and it is left ambigious whether Hank voted for him.
-Former Democrat Texas governor Ann Richards makes an appearance and comes across well. Jimmy Carter's appearance goofs on him but he comes across as a good person.

I do agree that the show does take some shots at liberal ideas, like the ADA in Junkie Business and those can be rough spots. Not that liberal ideas are right all the time, but KOTH can fall into strawmen. In Phish and Wildlife hippies invade a park and ruin the gang's vacation. The hippies are portrayed as lazy stereotypes, and Hank foils them by arranging to have park services turned off and telling them to get a job. But neither episode was written by Judge.

On that same note, one of the hippies later shows up working at an organic co-op grocery store. The hippies at the store are disorganized, but Hank learns their food is much better than what he buys at Megalomart. The show is also consistent fair about immigrants, Mexico, smoking being bad.

So overall I think Judge is conservative but level headed and not a spiteful man. Although to be fair to your point I haven't seen all of the later seasons so maybe it did get really bad.

He even gave an interview to Alex Jones.

Also Idiocracy is basically a movie advocating for the concept of eugenics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno, the idiot future didn't seem like too bad a place to live so long as you've got someone with common sense keeping the infrastructure going. Universal healthcare, automated infrastructure, and a President who actually seems to care about people and is willing to listen to others for solutions to the people's problems.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Besesoth posted:

Yeah, Fry was pretty reprehensible in that episode and it's a little weird that they never touched on "how can Leela ever trust him again?" or "is Leela going to wince every time she hears laughter for the next few years?".

Not only that, but the episode ends with HER apologizing to HIM for...what? I don't even remember, I must have blocked it out. Unbelievable. Then he hugs her with his goat vomit-y clothes.

quote:

On the other hand, it gave us

I actually thought that meme was from the episode where everyone gets $300 from the government and then Fry ends up saving everyone from a fire in a coffee-fueled hummingbird-speed frenzy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Man I wish I lived in your universe where making STEM not be actively antagonistic to girls was solved 20 years ago and not something that is still contentious enough to make the chuds mad when the Simpsons even pays lip service to the concept.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That Eyephone episode really is another one that was groanworthy even when it came out. It aired in 2010, and while frankly it was only three years after the launch of the first iPhone, it was already a little stale to be making jokes about them. The whole plot with the social networks was a huge swing and a miss, too. Facebook and Youtube had both been around for over five years, with Twitter being just past its fourth birthday. And even if you think "well four years isn't a ton of time to properly wear out every joke about something so worldchanging" you kind of have to remember that none of that stuff was even new, it was just the freshest coat of paint over stuff that MySpace, Flash videos, and LiveJournal had been doing for ages. It's very possible to make jokes about social media that feel old enough to drink, even if the current services in wide use today are much younger than that.

Plus, the boil thing is by far the dumbest thing the show has ever had as any part of a plot, which is impressive for a franchise where at one point the entire universe gets married to interdimensional horrorbeast David Cross.

E:

Guy Mann posted:

Man I wish I lived in your universe where making STEM not be actively antagonistic to girls was solved 20 years ago and not something that is still contentious enough to make the chuds mad when the Simpsons even pays lip service to the concept.

Yeah man I'm totally... shaking with rage here...? Also, what active antagonism are you referring to? I graduated ten years ago from a STEM department that had a nearly 50% split between the sexes, taught primarily by woman professors, and nobody was lovely to the women at all. ...Did you maybe type that from a public computer lab and you needed to make sure a woman walking by knew what a good dude you were or something, because jesus lol

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jul 31, 2017

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ross from Friends is such a lovely entitled Nice Guy™ stereotype that it's amazing audiences were ever expected to sympathize with him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Ross from Friends is such a lovely entitled Nice Guy™ stereotype that it's amazing audiences were ever expected to sympathize with him.

He and Rachel are perfect for eah other, yes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

each and every episode of Friends that includes Chandler

Friends in general dated badly. In one episode for example Ross gets an earring and everybody treats it as it's the most radical thing ever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Yeah man I'm totally... shaking with rage here...? Also, what active antagonism are you referring to? I graduated ten years ago from a STEM department that had a nearly 50% split between the sexes, taught primarily by woman professors, and nobody was lovely to the women at all. ...Did you maybe type that from a public computer lab and you needed to make sure a woman walking by knew what a good dude you were or something, because jesus lol

Yes, STEM fields and techbros are still really misogynistic. Where you graduated from is not indicative of other places. Have you lived under a rock? How have you not noticed all of these incidents being brought up online, like everything that came out about Uber's treatment of its female employees?

And immediately jumping to saying he's just trying to impress girls by showing he's not a misogynistic piece of poo poo is really loving stupid, too.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Yeah man I'm totally... shaking with rage here...?

Don't think they were saying you were the one shaking in rage. And yes, women still get poo poo on in STEM all the time, but I'm glad your class wasn't like that. Shows me there's hope it can be like that everywhere.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

Isn't it generally a problem with sitcoms that run long enough that characters end up focusing on one character trait to the exclusion of all else?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The last episode of Star Trek was about how females are too emotional to be Starfleet captains

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still amazing for the way Shatner shouts mutiny and starts acting camp to show he's been possessed by a womz

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sunswipe posted:

Isn't it generally a problem with sitcoms that run long enough that characters end up focusing on one character trait to the exclusion of all else?

Someone please post that comic of what happens to sitcom characters the longer their show runs on.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If that actress had actually tried to do a Shatner impression the episode would have been amazing. Like John Travolta playing Nic Cage in Face Off

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I've long theorized that for The Office, the writers worked off of short dossiers for all of the characters. The dossier for Dwight initially described him as a "sycophant". At some point around season 4 or 5 someone was retyping the dossier and spell check accidentally changed "sycophant" to "psychopath" and the writers just went with it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The last episode of Star Trek was about how females are too emotional to be Starfleet captains

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
So many episodes of South Park. I definitely had my "South Park is the best satire" phase in high school but the older I got the more I realized it's just Matt and Trey making a strawman out of whoever they don't like that week.

The non strawman episodes can be pretty great.

I think the thing that irritates me the most about that show is the hypocrisy and nihilism. Caring about issues is bad, unless they're libertarian ones. Being preachy is bad, unless you're preaching about what Matt and Trey care about, then it's fine and even commendable. Everyone who disagrees with them is just portrayed as a huge babbling idiot.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jul 31, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RobotDogPolice posted:

So many episodes of South Park. I definitely had my "South Park is the best satire" phase in high school bit the older I get the more I realize it's just Matt and Trey making a strawman out of whoever they don't like.

I always more enjoyed the plain silly/weird episodes. The Chickenlover one from the first season is still a favorite.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why doesn't Ross, the largest friend, not simply eat the others?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

queserasera posted:

The gay jokes in MST3K don't age well. There's a particularly obnoxious one in an episode of The Film Crew where a riffer comments that something is so gay, it's transgender.

Don't forget the racism that tends to crop up any time they do a Japanese movie.

Sweevo posted:

I think the X-files holds up quite well in this regard. Mulder and Scully both have phones and use them all the time, and the writers have to keep inventing reasons why they can't use them - just as modern TV has to.

I was going to say this too, but imagine if their phones also had built-in digital cameras, audio recording, and could upload evidence of alien bigfoot to the internet instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
The Manbearpig episode of South Park is loving shameful, especially when you realize it's not even that old. There was an overwhelming scientific consensus that man-made climate change was happening in 2006 too.