Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Manual brake like race car, much race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Put some new wheels on my car because why not. I'll probably make these my winter wheels.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Re-gapped the plugs on my turbo swapped Fiesta, seems to be running a hair smoother but it's probably just in my head. Went from stock .032 to 0.26"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rhyno posted:

Lol, you said Fort Wayne Clutch which is where my buddy works.

In Fort Wayne, Indiana.

wtf, never heard of this. Where do you meet?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Scored a G80 eaton locking differential and Jeep XJ coil springs for the Volvo wagon. The locker will make the 740 as capable as possible for being 2wd and the jeep springs will eliminate the cheapie hockey puck lift i put in temporarily and, Im hoping, give me an extra inch of lift as well. Ill probably install everything next weekend so I don't have a rushed sunday.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I cleaned out my stupid not running well tinyjeep and swapped it for a fiesta ST :frog: my girlfriend is not happy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

wtf, never heard of this. Where do you meet?

10am Saturday mornings at Biggby Coffee at Lima and Dupont. We had a crazy good turnout yesterday.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

10am Saturday mornings at Biggby Coffee at Lima and Dupont. We had a crazy good turnout yesterday.

I'd have been there but 2 year olds are demanding assholes that need things like "food" and "baths". Congrats btw on your impending nuptials.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rhyno posted:

So every Saturday..., if so I'll be at the next one. PM me if there is anything else I should know so I don't look like an idiot.

As for car work, getting ready for a oil change and swapping out tail light sockets on a WJ.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

DropShadow posted:

Put some new wheels on my car because why not. I'll probably make these my winter wheels.

They don't look bad there. I hate the peelers on my car.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I removed a front shock on my car, unboxed the new one, and realized it wasn't the right part. Further investigation reveals I bought REAR shocks... This is interesting since the car doesn't HAVE rear shocks, it has hydraulic pistons and accumulators. I had to put a turbofucked front shock back on so I can move the car. That's what I did to my car today.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

They don't look bad there. I hate the peelers on my car.

These are 20x9 et25 Hartmann reps. I like them but I'm going to put the Vorsteiners back on soon.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Put some ridiculous wheels on my beater S70, I was originally just looking for tires but a friend offered up these OZs with nearly new tires on them and I couldn't resist.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Called Fort Wayne, sounds like things aren't set up right, shipped the clutch off today. Bought gas for the welder so I can start practicing my sheet metal stitching skills, and dropped the seat off at the upholsterer. That makes a pretty light weekend sound reasonably productive!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

zundfolge posted:

Put some ridiculous wheels on my beater S70, I was originally just looking for tires but a friend offered up these OZs with nearly new tires on them and I couldn't resist.

I love this a lot

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I put both the windscreen and rear screen back into my Saab and didnt break either of them on the process :)

Need to get it out side where I can wash it and then spend more time polishing the orange peel off of the roof.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

today i go to the junkyard in search of headlight assemblies, cheap wheels, a gas tank, and whatever other little bits catch my eye for a 98 OBS chevy pickup. tomorrow i order 12 quarts of dextron vi transmission fluid, two pan gaskets, and two filters. and then maybe i start looking around for a rebuilt 4l60e :ohdear:
whats AI opinion on high mile transmission fluid fuckery? i have 225000 on the clock and am working under the assumption it hasnt been messed with in... maybe like 150000 miles. No flush planned, just drop pan, replace filter, topoff with new dex vi atf and then do it again in a week, maybe two.

e: also it currently has zero problems shifting and doesnt, to my notice slip at all. but the
atf in it smells bad and is definitely dirty looking

violentlycitrus fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 31, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It would depend on what the atf in it looked like already. If it doesn't smell or look burnt, you should be fine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

I put both the windscreen and rear screen back into my Saab and didnt break either of them on the process :)

Need to get it out side where I can wash it and then spend more time polishing the orange peel off of the roof.

What's going on with your workshop now?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KakerMix posted:

Found out why I have to press so much harder on the brake pedal to get the van to stop

oh it's so tiny and cute too!

I mean were you expecting a brake booster or something?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wait... all of this was just because it squeaked and you didn't think to check the tensioner first?
oh. my. god.
you poor thing.

I checked the tensioner *pulley*. the tensioner *looks* fine. It's not obviously skewed or anything, and in my defense,it's kind of hard to see the inner bit of the belt and pulley in that location - there's this huge plastic guard to keep the belt from eating the cam cover if it fails in the way. It also didn't feel like it rubbed or scraped any of the times I used a breaker bar to release tension on the belt. It *barely* touched, and mostly only when the AC compressor ran and increase the pull on the belt on that side.
Still feel dumb.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Bought a new old car and i was losing power on the way home when anything electrical was on or i hit the brakes and blew every goddamn bulb in the car but the rears and headlights. Haha

Anyways i was getting 25 bolts at the battery so i pulled everything.

http://i.imgur.com/GeARgpp.jpg

This amazing splice job goes to the voltage regulator lol. I have no idea what the gently caress.

http://i.imgur.com/worwzBO.jpg

This was the main line off the alt. He loving tied that nub of a fusable link there. Tied it in a drat knot haha. Its 14 gauge just like the line is. Hence the melted to poo poo terminal and the burnt wire. That little nub on the fusable link is all that was sticking out of the bulkhead connector. And if you look real close yes that tiny rear end nub has a splice too! Its actually a good thing it was this lovely because it burnt here not on the run to the ammeter in the dash then back to the starter because that run had no fuse lol.

Got it all back together but what the hell.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 31, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a nice bag of cocaine sugar there, is that what's left of the fusible link? :v:

e: aw you fixed it. Nice melty bits tho.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

this is a crappy out of order album of a few pictures i took while flushing out my radiator

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Haha it was a bag of milk i was posting off my copy clipboard lol. Yeah that or the tag was till tapped to the previous nub splice and he just left it and ran a bare wire and taped over it. There was no trace of insulation.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

zundfolge posted:

Resist harder.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh it's so tiny and cute too!

I mean were you expecting a brake booster or something?

I wasn't but I was surprised to find the master cylinder essentially strapped to the side of the steering column. The bottom of the master cylinder is connected directly to the brake pedal via that bracket.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

ThirstyBuck posted:

Resist harder.
lol they're not my cuppa tea but beaters & good deals go hand in hand so ride on trispoke guy. Now take the bull by the horns and paint them a ridiculous color, perhaps add some trapper-keeper decals to the car too?

As far as my business goes, the last couple days I've been doing Vo' related things. With the direction I've taken this thing, and the winters we can see here, I wanted to add some additional capability to the wagon. For those not in the know, a lot of late model 740/940s come equipped with a G80 Eaton locker. This neat little unit will lock the rear wheels if one loses traction at speeds under 25mph ensuring both spin until traction is attained (beyond 25mph if needed). A '93 940 turbo popped up at a local junkyard so I booked a weekend visit hoping for a good score.

The first 2 pumpkin patches i visited were a bust, so here is pumpkin #3

But, before I can nab a slice of pumpkin pie, I need to take off the rear calipers, rotors, parking brakes, & unbolt the axle flanges so i can pull each axle out of the G80. I was making good time until i reached the axle flanges, where only a wrench fits, and I needed an extension to help break the bolt free. Theres a neato trick you can do to lengthen your box-wrench in a pinch; just dont bust your knuckles or your tools.

Get one wrench on and tease it, sensually, with another.

Then, the magic happens

Glorious!

Oh, hello there.

So i grabbed this beast and the axles and I didn't take any pictures because gently caress getting gear oil on any of my electronics, but trust me it went well. Surprisingly, the oil wasn't burnt to hell so I'm optimistic about the condition of the G80.

Later i took a trip to grab some used XJ springs because the 3 hockey pucks I stacked for lifting was only temporary and just lol look at this:

This setup worries the moral support doggo, so lets change that!

XJ front spring on top, Volvo 740 wagon rear spring on bottom:

Installed. Note the strap to keep the spring from auto-ejecting when im launching over stuff; a must have!

So tonight I finished both sides, gaining an additional 1" of lift (on top of the ~3" i had already) and eliminated the body-roll you might expect from a 3" stack of rubber. Of course, my before & after pictures didn't turn out and its dark outside so, in closing, moral support doggo is tired.

Here is a random pic of the progress while working on the opposite side with no frame of reference how much lift was gained because the suspension is compressed.

Next weekend ill be installing the G80, axles, longer studs to fit spacers which will eliminate the rubbing all you astute people noticed happening in the wheel-well, and I have a center support bearing/bushing combo to go in before my drive-shaft bangs through the floor. Ill make sure to get finish product pictures because what a dang let down.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 1, 2017

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ThirstyBuck posted:

Resist harder.

:frogout:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ThirstyBuck posted:

Resist harder.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What's going on with your workshop now?

I spent what should have been a weeks holiday sorting poo poo out and scrapping stuff and managed to get rid of a lot of poo poo such that I haven't had to put that much into my own garage so it is still usable and I can just get right round the car :)
I do however now have about 1/3rd of a carport full of stuff living under tarps :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wally Joyner posted:

But, before I can nab a slice of pumpkin pie, I need to take off the rear calipers, rotors, parking brakes, & unbolt the axle flanges so i can pull each axle out of the G80. I was making good time until i reached the axle flanges, where only a wrench fits, and I needed an extension to help break the bolt free. Theres a neato trick you can do to lengthen your box-wrench in a pinch; just dont bust your knuckles or your tools.

Get one wrench on and tease it, sensually, with another.

Then, the magic happens

Glorious!

Pro wrench trick, but: see that hole there in the axle flange, just sneaking into the picture? That's there so you can rotate it to line up with each of the axle retainer nuts, and get to them with a socket and extension.

Your Swede-wagon is still sweet, BTW.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I didn't even notice that! The car was locked in park, though, and I didn't find any keys for it so I was headed down that road regardless. Still, Ill definitely be making use of that clever little window on installation. Thanks dude :)

stone soup fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 2, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wally Joyner posted:

I didn't even notice that! The car was locked in park, though, and I didn't find any keys for it so I was headed down that road regardless. Still, Ill definitely be making use of that clever little window on installation. Thanks dude :)

Simple things in life...which I don't really understand why domestics (correct me if I'm wrong) don't have jack screw provisions on rear drums.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Took it to a body shop where I had a light detail with buffing, and repaired moderate curb rash on every wheel from the PO. And removed dealer plate frames!

I can't compete with DropShadow and his great taste in custom hardware, but I think my ride looks nice stock too.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 2, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Michael Scott posted:

I can't compete with DropShadow and his great taste in custom hardware, but I think my ride looks nice stock too.
...the badges? :v:

Super clean car!

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

so these lovelies arrived today

now i am still waiting on new straps and bolts but its nice to see potential future progress. anyone know anything about tge rumor of the dorman tank strap bolts being too short?

there shoukd be a picture of a gas tank too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

lol

It's a slow, nearly worthless, nearly 20-year-old car, might as well have some fun with it while it lasts.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Dropped the passenger side fuel tank so I can start flooring repair. I should have bought a transmission jack the first time I dropped one, while it was still sketchy because of the 5' length, having a 1' long pad and a crank down as well as up made the job a lot easier. Also more than a few flakes came out, so perhaps I'll tote it down to the radiator shop for a real cleaning and sealing.

The project mantra is slow but steady progress, so I'm not doing too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wally Joyner posted:

Doesn't matter if the trans is in park, unless the rearend has a spool, or a *very* tight LSD. With both tires off the ground, if you rotate one tire one way, the other will simply rotate the other way. It's part and parcel of how diffs work.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Simple things in life...which I don't really understand why domestics (correct me if I'm wrong) don't have jack screw provisions on rear drums.

Because US domestic manufacturers are gently caress sticks who never acknowledge the existence of rust, despite most of them being in or around Detroit. I was amazed when I discovered those provisions on my RX-7.