Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

I have become dead inside, I do no longer have enough life in my soul to muster the energy needed to rant about how someone is wrong on the internet anymore.
It is a dreadful existence.
I'm jealous of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I kinda thought for combat you'd build different types of 'Fleet' entities and then each fleet would have slots that you'd design the ships for. So you build a "Picket" fleet which has a main destroyer slot, two frontline corvettes, and then an auxiliary corvette slot that can be a different design than the frontline, design ships for those slots or plop in premades, and then the fleet pops up on the map and automatically draws in ships from nearby stations until it's topped off or you turn off maintenance.

And then maybe at this point get rid of (most) ships as discrete individual things and have your fleets ship sections be represented by an hp pool with dps rising/falling as it drops/rises

But really I think it's a decent game, I just want them to figure out a way to mitigate deathballs

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
stellaris bad, hoi 4 good.

I loved moo2 as a kid but going back it is just not a good game. The sames pretty much true of the civ series now thanks to the dogshit AI. It's time to abandon the 4x genre completely as every single iteration in recent times has been dissapointing

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

buckets of buckets posted:

This, but the opposite.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

buckets of buckets posted:

I loved moo2 as a kid but going back it is just not a good game. The sames pretty much true of the civ series now thanks to the dogshit AI. It's time to abandon the 4x genre completely as every single iteration in recent times has been dissapointing

stellaris alright but flawed, hoi4 good but flawed thanks to althistory mods providing a bunch of variery.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Distant Worlds

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Groogy posted:

I have become dead inside, I do no longer have enough life in my soul to muster the energy needed to rant about how someone is wrong on the internet anymore.

:same:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
i'm gathering i should be banned from this thread

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Is a cool, fun game.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Lum_ posted:

My hero!

Eu4 >> All games

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

uPen posted:

Is a cool, fun game.

I want to play it but :lol: at the price

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish HoI4 was good

gotta keep playing HoI3 I guess

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
I think if they get rid of the tile management micro and focus more on factions being the real meat of the planet interaction, the game wpuld be a lot more unique. As an example, I want my imperium of man to deal with a Malcolm Reynolds crew of misfits spreading dissent in the empire.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Phi230 posted:

I wish HoI4 was good

gotta keep playing HoI2 I guess

Fixed. HoI2/Darkest Hour with the Total Realism Project mod is so far the best I've had to actually feel like I'm playing WWII.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

pdxjohan posted:

My hero!

Eu4 >> All games

I feel a little guilty towards CKII saying this.... but you're not wrong.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lum_ posted:

I dunno, Victoria 2 is good, but I can totally see being turned off by its elderly design choices if you put it up against those other titles.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pdxjohan posted:

My hero!

Eu4 >> All games

He's uninstalled them all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I dunno, Victoria 2 is good, but I can totally see being turned off by its elderly design choices if you put it up against those other titles.

Yeah, I like Victoria 2 enough to put up with its flaws, but it definitely still feels like pre-CK2 Paradox design.

There's a reason the subtitle of this thread is "still waiting on Victoria 3" rather than "still playing Victoria 2"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the poo poo out of hoi2 and Vicky2 but they're really really hard to go back to after all the quality of life stuff we've gotten since.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I mean Jesus gently caress who thought "Let's make every regiment come from a place and then when every soldier from that place is dead you have to disband the regiment and make a new one from somewhere else" was a good idea

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Alchenar posted:

He's uninstalled them all.

*heh* Actually, was posting from work. (I work at another game company, thus why I had Steam handy)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gort posted:

I mean Jesus gently caress who thought "Let's make every regiment come from a place and then when every soldier from that place is dead you have to disband the regiment and make a new one from somewhere else" was a good idea

Honestly, I really like that. I like everything about the POP system in Vicky 2. If they could add Vicky 2-like POPs to every Paradox game, I would be over the moon (actually I know it would be a huge clusterfuck in practice but bear with me). That kinda ties into main reason I love Vicky 2 so much: you actually see the affects of your decisions on regular people. In CK2 and EU4, you don't really see how your country's population is affected by your rule beyond general stats and modifiers like stability and prosperity. In Vicky 2, I can browse the population menu and see who's winning out from my policies, who's losing, what their lives are like, what kind of people oppose me and why, it all just scratches some megalomaniacal itch in my mind better than any other Pdox game. If Vicky 2 had a more modern UI and better quality-of-life stuff, it'd probably be my most-played Paradox game, and not my second-most after CK2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phi230 posted:

I wish HoI4 was good

gotta keep playing HoI3 I guess

"Don't like imperfect game, gonna play flaming pile of poo poo game."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Pakled posted:

Honestly, I really like that. I like everything about the POP system in Vicky 2. If they could add Vicky 2-like POPs to every Paradox game, I would be over the moon (actually I know it would be a huge clusterfuck in practice but bear with me). That kinda ties into main reason I love Vicky 2 so much: you actually see the affects of your decisions on regular people. In CK2 and EU4, you don't really see how your country's population is affected by your rule beyond general stats and modifiers like stability and prosperity. In Vicky 2, I can browse the population menu and see who's winning out from my policies, who's losing, what their lives are like, what kind of people oppose me and why, it all just scratches some megalomaniacal itch in my mind better than any other Pdox game. If Vicky 2 had a more modern UI and better quality-of-life stuff, it'd probably be my most-played Paradox game, and not my second-most after CK2.

This kind of psychosis leads to War in the Pacific.

I get it, though. It would be cool to be able to dig deep and find out that the pivotal action of the greatest war you had in your Victoria 2 game was "the charge of the Herefordshire First Light Hussars" or some poo poo. However, the player shouldn't have to do a shitload of clicking because of that kind of stuff, it should just be there in the background if you want to look at it, a bit like the "What ships has this ship sunk" lists in Hearts of Iron games.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gort posted:

Henry Rawlinson.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

Henry Rawlinson.

Ah yeah, along with his other amazing ideas like "Advance into machinegun fire at a slow walk"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

"Don't like imperfect game, gonna play flaming pile of poo poo game."

I dunno I'd rather play a WW2 game than EU4 with lots of stacks

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol @ nerds that have such venom against a wargame-lite like HoI3

If you want a sandbox don't play the HoI series?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gort posted:

This kind of psychosis leads to War in the Pacific.

I get it, though. It would be cool to be able to dig deep and find out that the pivotal action of the greatest war you had in your Victoria 2 game was "the charge of the Herefordshire First Light Hussars" or some poo poo. However, the player shouldn't have to do a shitload of clicking because of that kind of stuff, it should just be there in the background if you want to look at it, a bit like the "What ships has this ship sunk" lists in Hearts of Iron games.

That's not what the post you're replying to said at all. It's not about what the Herefordshire First Light Hussars did, it's about that Herefordshire doesn't have any young men left because they all died in a fight for two measly provinces.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Give me your most dehumanising portrayal of imperialism.

No that's too dehumanising

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Yeah this is what keeps bringing me back to Victoria even though it doesn't have the bredth of features of CK2 or EU4, or the interface conveniences of HoI4. None of the newer games really effectively capture that feeling that there are actually PEOPLE living in the worlds you're playing - just abstract nation-minds where "manpower" is a currency that is spent and regenerates over time (Which, thinking about it, probably IS fairly accurate to the ruler's attitudes at the time. But it's not very interesting). POPs are really the defining feature of the Vicky series and if they ever do make a third one I'm hoping that they keep the level of detail in how they're portrayed.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Eh. I think you'll find people who prefer something that actually resembles history vs. "hai guize i conquered the world as bolivia" tend to prefer the HoI2 version, which also had more traditional wargame mechanics (such as building divisions directly and controlling them) along with the event-driven gameplay that made for a somewhat less insane WW2.

It was exactly the same with EU2 vs EU3 (thus why For the Glory exists, it's a for-sale version of the most popular event-driven EU2 mod) but then EU3/EU4 got pretty good even with the sandbox gameplay at making a coherent world and the HOI series isn't there yet.

But if you have fun go nuts! (thus why I like Stellaris)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Farecoal posted:

goes on sale for reasonable price every so often

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phi230 posted:

one problem i have with hoi3 is the ai usually can't figure out how to do landing assaults and this means anything but the actual war in europe sucks. but the pacific front also sucks in hoi4 so

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Said the same thing after looking at March of the Eagles today.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lum_ posted:

Eh. I think you'll find people who prefer something that actually resembles history vs. "hai guize i conquered the world as bolivia" tend to prefer the HoI2 version, which also had more traditional wargame mechanics (such as building divisions directly and controlling them) along with the event-driven gameplay that made for a somewhat less insane WW2.

It was exactly the same with EU2 vs EU3 (thus why For the Glory exists, it's a for-sale version of the most popular event-driven EU2 mod) but then EU3/EU4 got pretty good even with the sandbox gameplay at making a coherent world and the HOI series isn't there yet.

But if you have fun go nuts! (thus why I like Stellaris)

You know you can manually control divisions in HoI3, right?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

You know you can manually control divisions in HoI3, right?

And in HOI4. But there are... multiple other issues.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Phi230 posted:

Got nothin to do with realism vs sandbox and everything to do with it being a poo poo game with poo poo AI and poo poo mechanics

That said, if you love that poo poo pile of poo then more power to you

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also having like 20 second pauses when midnights ticked over when it launched that I'm still bitter about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

My favorite part of hoi3 is how it crashes all the time