Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Well, those teleporter mazes sure are turning out to be something rude already. Who knew ATLUS would make them span multiple "floors"? Or perhaps sectors would be adequate, as Gram pointed out.

Oliphant: Alexis, Iseria, Kaelin(RoFIaL), and Raven(Death-Warding)

Dragon Zombie: Jana(Spec 1 :unsmigghh:), Mio(Love Shaman), Cecil(Combo Boxer), Dosen

Rather than edit my first post for the second character(I forgot I could do that until right before this update, in fact), I'll just slap him in a new post instead because Ragnar posted a new update.

Name: Heinrich
Class: Alchemist
Portrait: 1, but with blonde hair that's closer to Highlander 3's/2's(depending on if story is 1 or not, respectively) color and a green eye. If you can manage to make it look alright, a slightly more pale skin tone too.

Bio: When one shuts themselves in for an excessive period of time, they tend to be a little cautious when bringing ideas and concepts they thought of outside. Heinrich manages to be no exception to this rule, considering his vast knowledge of excruciatingly confusing phrases("Your success's key lies beneath the tree" is the main one he knows, but he hasn't even figured it out himself. What does that even mean?) that may not even be actual phrases, but he does manage to meet with some sort of expectation. Although he can't turn any old thing into gold, he did manage to find a way to turn monster dust into a magical energy, even if how he did figured it out is something he doesn't quite understand himself. Still, this did give him renewed confidence to do something that isn't "stay huddled inside of your friend's house instead of doing things outside", so he decided to put this knowledge to use.

It didn't take his creative mind long to find a way to actually do something with this energy, and that involved a simple pair of gauntlets he created in roughly the span of a week. Toying with them led him to a way to convert the dust into a more practical energy to be used with spells, and that led him to being able to wield heat, a lack of it, and electricity. He isn't even close to knowing how to use the earth and wind effectively, and said issue made him consider trying to take some of the phrases he ends up spouting out literally. If what he needs is supposedly "under the tree", that gives him a reason to go and hang out with those other people in Etria exploring said tree of Yggdrasil. That, and he's a little strapped for cash anyways. Buying monster parts doesn't come cheap, so getting them straight from the source should prove useful for both practicality, cash, and perhaps even going beyond what he could do before. Higher quality parts should allow him higher quality spells, so there's no reason that logic shouldn't check out in actual practice.

EDIT: Two times in a row? Wow. Update's on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Harrow posted:

Oliphant: Raven (Death-bringing), Gram (Falcon), Mio (Wrath), Kaelin (Six Ways)

Dragon Zombie: Alexis, Kaelin (Elements), Cecil (Combo), Mio (Love)

I agree with all of that.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

For Oliphant I vote for Iseria, Raven (death bringing), Lanzon (destroying), Kaelin (six ways)

For zombie I vote for Kaelin (elements), and Ragnar choice x3 because I can't chose.

This

Really I just want to see Iseria tear something up with that post game sword

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oliphant: Alexis, Iseria, Dosen, Heaven's Wrath Mio - Chains trigger off of Sylpheed activating, right? Let the fencing begin.
Zombie Dragon: Hexamaster Kaelin, Spirit-Summoning Lanzon, Gunpower Dragoon Sasha, 4-Sword Jana

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Oliphant: Jana, Iseria, Cecil, Gram
Dragon Zombie: Cecil, Raven, Mio, Dosen

Dragon Zombie looks like a pretty tricky boss. I've said this before, but I quite like the boss encounter design in EO5.

Also, finally got to sit down and do a write-up. Another LP, so soon? Well, keep on truckin' on.

Name: Brad
Class: Ronin
Portrait: 1 (blond hair)

"My name is Brad... Brad Ryuunosuke. I felt my calling to the katana six months ago, and I have been a disciple of the sword ever since. However, I... I bear a terrible curse. When I wield these holy blades, I can feel a hidden side of me bubbling uncontrollably to the surface! Yet I cannot rid myself of this curse, nay, must not, lest I render myself unable to combat the world's evils! I have three such personalities suppressed inside of me, each with their arsenal of mystical techniques, and the first personality is named..."

Brad, whose last name is definitely not Ryuunosuke, was a student at a small swordsmanship school, near Etria, in the mountains. Despite the inanity of his attack name-calling and alter ego-channeling, the school's master can't help but begrudgingly admit that he has... some modicum of talent. Almost as if his delusions and bravado are the source of his competence. And that's fine, he could deal with Brad's asinine behavior on his own, he's only got five students and Brad's the best at daily chores so he'll endure. But then, the other students started trying to copy him ironically, then copy him unironically, and that's when the master decided he had to act. He can't cringe that much every day.

So the master proclaimed Brad ready to graduate, and sent him off to fight evils or whatever, he didn't remember what he told Brad exactly but Brad ate it all up. And thus, Brad was released into the wild. Then one day, he heard rumours of foul monsters residing in this labyrinth inside a massive tree... and he knew exactly where he must go.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
oliphant is coming up oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

Gonna throw in my votes for Sasha, Magda, Lanzon, and Jana versus Oliphant, then Kaelin, Gram, Raven, and Dosen for Dragon Zombie.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Oliphant results:

quote:

Iseria: 5
Raven Bringing: 4
Kaelin Six: 4
Lanzon Destroying: 3
Gram Falcon: 3
Mio Wrath: 3

Alexis: 2
Jana Four: 2
Kaelin Ruler: 1
Raven Warding: 1
Dosen: 1
Cecil Combo: 1
Sasha Gunpowder: 1
Magda: 1

Dragon Zombie results:

quote:

My choice: 6
Kaelin Six: 4
Cecil Combo: 4
Mio Love: 3
Dosen: 3
Alexis: 2
Kaelin Ruler: 2
Raven Warding: 2

Lanzon Summoning: 1
Mio Wrath: 1
Gram Falcon: 1

Dragon Zombie could go a lot of ways!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Oli: Raven, Magda, Mio, Jana 1

DZ: Kaelin, Mio, Dosen, Jana 1

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oliphant: Alexis, Iseria, Kaelin Six Ways, Combo Cecil
Dragon Zombie: Alexis, Death-Warding Raven, Dosen, Summoning Lanzon

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm gonna close Oliphant voting, but keep Dragon Zombie voting open for now.

quote:

Iseria: 6
Kaelin Six: 5
Raven Bringing: 4
Lanzon Destroying: 3
Gram Falcon: 3
Mio Wrath: 3
Alexis: 3

Raven Warding: 2
Cecil Combo: 2
Magda: 2
Kaelin Ruler: 1
Dosen: 1
Mio: 1
Jana One: 1

Through my own arbitrary tiebreaker, the Oliphant party is Alexis/Iseria/Raven, Kaelin/Lanzon. Plus Edgar.

You're gonna enjoy that fight if my test run is anything to go by.

Also, with regards to EOU:

I've already decided on Ronin and Highlander. I'm trying to be impartial this far out, but sometimes you just see characters that you know no other submission can beat.

quote:

Momoe isn't exactly shy about it. She's not in for exploring the labyrinth to help Etria, or save the world, or whatever. It's all about the romance. And even then, "romance" is too elegant a word. She wants the fame; she figures, kill some nasty monsters, or help Etria improve, or whatever, become a hero, and the girls are bound to flock to her, right? Everyone's gonna want a smooch at that point. Maybe she can pick up some nasty scars that'll drive them wild, too. Of course, trying to develop a little more tact should help with that, too... Hm. One thing at a time, she figures.

That's not to say Momoe is gonna take the exploration lightly. On the contrary, you have to work hard to survive in the labyrinth, even when your goal is as selfish as hers. She trained herself diligently with the blade, all towards this goal. Not exactly a noble one, really, but with the wealthy family she's come from, such resources as tutors and practice katanas are easy to come by for that. (That may also be where her naive perception of romance comes from.) She's determined to survive and push through as far as the Guild is willing to go; that said, being as sheltered as she's been makes things hard sometimes, so trying new things is kind of exciting to her, though she hates to admit it.

quote:

Born with hearing that was 'spotty' at the best of times and rapidly degraded into near uselessness, Afon was abandoned by her parents - whoever they were - and picked up by a bandit/explorer by the name of Rick. Rick taught her everything he knew - and several things he didn't, considering he hunted down a book on sign language - and the result was a rambunctious, confident young woman who was eager to join her adoptive father on his misadventures. Unfortunately, her father, for all his positive qualities, was a pretty reckless man - he took himself and a few of his best men into the labyrinth to hunt down a beast, and never came back out.

Afon's quest isn't one for revenge - she knows full well that dozens of people have died to monsters in the labyrinth - but a quest to overcome her own fear, to prove that her father raised a strong fighter. She's rough around the edges (her favorite bit of sign language is a raised middle finger), loves drinking, and pretends to lipread better than she actually does, but she's also eager to please, brave in the face of danger, and loves drinking. The positive outweighs the negative, even for a bandit's daughter, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In case this wasn't clear, Combustion is triggered by any fire attack, regardless of who's doing it. It doesn't make a huge difference in the fight, but it's interesting.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

In case this wasn't clear, Combustion is triggered by any fire attack, regardless of who's doing it. It doesn't make a huge difference in the fight, but it's interesting.

Yep, that's why Fire Breath has such low damage. I probably could've made that a lot more clear, but oh well.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Yep, that's why Fire Breath has such low damage. I probably could've made that a lot more clear, but oh well.

Will Iseria chase combustion as well? And will her chains trigger combustion too?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Will Iseria chase combustion as well? And will her chains trigger combustion too?

Her Chains can trigger Combustion yes, but I don't believe they can chase Combustion, since Combustion still originates from Dragon Zombie itself (technically, anyway).

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Would it be alright to write a second submission / replace a submission within the same class? I've got some ideas vis-a-vis medics.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Poltergrift posted:

Would it be alright to write a second submission / replace a submission within the same class? I've got some ideas vis-a-vis medics.

Submitting two of the same class is perfectly fine.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Name: Lecto
Class: Medic, portrait 4, with a dark grey lab coat

Description:
Lecto is not -- as it happens -- a particularly good medic. Now, as a con artist, she's a genius, renowned for her wide range of gigs and overall range -- think Etrian Billy Mays, more or less -- and her stint with the Telemachus Company propelled it into the upper echelons of world commerce, selling heart meds and dubious placebos to an innocent public. Unfortunately, a loophole in her contract -- a particularly fiendish use of codicils and stipulations hidden in plain sight that never would've caught an honest woman -- meant she ultimately got paid much less than she needed, and ended up with nothing but a chemical lab and a bunch of secondhand medication acquired from a criminal medic leaving Etria in a hurry. So, she figured, all she had to do was reinvent herself in the same basic niche, as a snake oil salesman and general charlatan, and work her way back up to fame and fortune.

The problem? The medic was "phony" in the sense that they sold illegal drugs, but the stock Lecto got is all perfectly good material, albeit badly labeled (and thus difficult to identify and replicate). For the first time in her life, she's selling a product with actual use to human beings and empirically verifiable positive effects, and she's terrible at it. Turns out she's not so skilled at being convincing when it's not all lies, and it's hard to use the placebo effect, cold reading, etc. to persuade someone of the effectiveness of your sleep aid when it's a) not sugar water and b) actually mislabeled rhino tranquilizer. Seeking to get paid and get out, she's agreed to a contract as doctor-on-call with an explorers' guild in the hopes of unloading this stock somewhere.

Lecto is a cheerful, gregarious fast-talker right up until she's convinced she doesn't need to be (i.e. out of sight of potential customers), whereupon her actual personality -- roughly "beleaguered telemarketer off the clock" -- asserts itself. She likes loud music, alcohol and caffeine pills. She probably shouldn't be allowed to be a doctor, or within twenty-five feet of one, but such is adventure.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are those, like, exploded planets we're seeing in the distance? I guess we're not the only world with something rotten at the core.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Shame my Ronin didn't win out in the end. Oh well. Time to make a second character I suppose.

Name: Avery "Iron Shield" Dallas
Class: Protector
Portrait: 3, Black hair and a "rusty" colored armor

Hailing from a much more southern land where the grass (what there was of it) was green and the sun beat down on your head and dried out the already cracked ground beneath your feet as you tried to earn a meager living farming or trading, Avery hailed from a simpler place where "Down Home" traditions were upheld...but he was more a "problem" child so to speak. He was a brash, rude, and downright unpleasant person as he grew up. He grew tired of the traditions from an old world that disappeared in less than a day, he knew of the stories, he knew of the legends of what the old world was like. But most of all, he wanted to leave home in search of adventure, fame and fortune. Unfortunately, his "bulky" body was unsuited for direct combat, he was slow, but could take a hit with the best of them. Swords, knives and spears pitchforks are all he knew how to wield and he wielded them very unwieldy when he practiced. In fact, he wound up accidentally killing his family's prized steed when the knife slipped from his hand and wound up embedded in the family's pride and joy of a horse's eye, the animal falling over in pain and dying moments later.

As punishment, he was thrown out of the family, wearing little more than a sheet of metal molded to fit his body on his back, a few loves of bread and skins of water, a thin piece of wood with a handle mockingly called a shield and the same dagger that slayed the horse by accident, rusted from the blood that clung to it's blade. He got his wish in the end, he was thrown out into the world to earn his fame, fortune and adventure he so wanted. In the end, he got exactly what he wanted. He traveled for years before finally finding himself in Etria, and just in time too, he could try to bluff his way into the next forming guild's group and find a way to his desires. Having a made up nickname, as well as the proper equipment he managed to patch together from the corpses of other fallen adventurers on the road, he could possibly make his way to what he sought...and if things got bad, he could always fake an injury or some such and "disappear" before he got himself killed.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 2, 2017

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

so, Dragon Zambie. Kaelin (Elemancer), Sasha (Shield Bearer), Iseria, Dosen.

As for EOU...

Name: Katya
Portrait: Female 1 (Coat/Pants same dark teal color as Alchemist Male 1's hair; Hair platinum blond, as Story Gunner)

The youngest of her 6 siblings, and the only daughter among them, Katya grew up being the lone girl in a boy's world. Not that it mattered much, her parents were loggers in the far north and really only dealt with other folk on supply runs. With short hair, a slight build (so what if she was a bit of a late bloomer?), and that bulky parka, Katya was often mistaken for one of her brothers until she bothered to speak up. Of course, she also had her nose in any book she could find in town, so that wasn't very often.

As she grew older, Katya started tinkering and experimenting with various parts she scrounged or bought on these infrequent trips, often disappearing into her room when the daily chores were done and not coming out until far after supper had gone cold. Being the only girl in the family (Mother not included, since she shared the master bedroom) did have it's perks, a room to herself fairly high among them, and so no one really knew what was going on until the latest scrap the boys were getting into with each other. It's as if it were yesterday...

Anatoli and Sergey, the two oldest, were trying to divide up some venison from the latest hunt, and neither could (or would) give up the choicest cuts without a scrap. Viktor and Aleksi, the twins always raring for a fight, jumped on in, dragging Gregory in as well, though the young boy wasn't really terribly interested in fighting (over food, at least).

Then Katya stepped outside, hands behind her back, a sinister, sly grin on her face.

Always one to pick on his sister whenever she tried to throw down, Viktor leapt at Katya, only to be flung backwards past the brothers' scrum. Immediately the fighting stopped, and the boys looked in awe at their twitching brother, their sister's gauntlets, and the laughing young girl.

After soundly thrashing the boys (really just to say she could at this point), Katya wore her "gauntlets of power" with her wherever she went. It was during a trip into town that Mother was approached by a spectacled gentleman, one who talked about the gauntlets her daughter had constructed on her own. It was this gentleman that mentioned the city of Etria to the south, a place where Katya's skills, intelligence and scrappiness would be of value. After considerable deliberation with the family, Katya decided to head south to Etria, see the sights of the big city, find her own way in life (and maybe send some ental back, while she's at it).

snibedi snab x--DDD

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 2, 2017

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Fight the zombie with Alexis, Cecil, Lanzon, Dosen.

Name: Vince
Class: Protector
Portrait: 1, brown hair, shield red like portrait 2, armor ribbon purple like 3/4

You might ask Vince why he acts as a protector when he's buff enough under the armor to pin a wild elephant. He'd tell you about his dark history spanning decades, a tale of his time as an enforcer in the Midgard underworld as Vicious Vinny. Protection fees, illegal drugs and weaponry, they ran the works. After killing a family who 'forgot' to pay their protection fees, the surviving daughter was quickly forgotten about. Years later, after a raid on a rival gang in the town of Gotham, a crazed girl attacked the thugs. She never stood a chance and was slain on the spot.

In the aftermath of cleaning up their retreat, Vinny discovered she was the surviving daughter of the family he had burned alive. Disheveled by drugs and equipped with a blade no child should ever dreamed of holding, Vince realized that the gang turned an innocent girl into the crazed corpse on that day long past. He tried to convince the boss of changing their ways but was laughed away for the sudden growth of a conscience. His heart knew he had to take charge on his own to fix this growing nightmare. He set the hideout ablaze and escaped in the ensuing chaos, only to be caught in a duel with his former boss at the front door. In the end, he was only able to escape after a lucky blade strike got the boss in the face.

Sometime after that escape, his former men tracked him down at an inn he tried to lay low in. The staff knew nothing of Vince's past but were killed anyway just for being around the wrong time when the violence broke out. Vince escaped again and knew things had to change. His hands would slay men no longer, they would become a wall. His knife was traded for a shield to defend the innocent from his gang's wrath. His slick suit became armor to ensure he can keep bystanders safe even a minute longer.

It's all utter bullshit. He just got bored of the farming life and wanted some adventurous spice in his life.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Aniodia posted:

so, Dragon Zambie. Kaelin (Elemancer), Sasha (Shield Bearer), Iseria, Dosen.

As for EOU...

Name: Katya
Portrait: Female 1 (Coat/Pants same dark teal color as Alchemist Male 1's hair; Hair platinum blond, as Story Gunner)

The youngest of her 6 siblings, and the only daughter among them, Katya grew up being the lone girl in a boy's world. Not that it mattered much, her parents were loggers in the far north and really only dealt with other folk on supply runs. With short hair, a slight build (so what if she was a bit of a late bloomer?), and that bulky parka, Katya was often mistaken for one of her brothers until she bothered to speak up. Of course, she also had her nose in any book she could find in town, so that wasn't very often.

As she grew older, Katya started tinkering and experimenting with various parts she scrounged or bought on these infrequent trips, often disappearing into her room when the daily chores were done and not coming out until far after supper had gone cold. Being the only girl in the family (Mother not included, since she shared the master bedroom) did have it's perks, a room to herself fairly high among them, and so no one really knew what was going on until the latest scrap the boys were getting into with each other. It's as if it were yesterday...

Anatoli and Sergey, the two oldest, were trying to divide up some venison from the latest hunt, and neither could (or would) give up the choicest cuts without a scrap. Viktor and Aleksi, the twins always raring for a fight, jumped on in, dragging Gregory in as well, though the young boy wasn't really terribly interested in fighting (over food, at least).

Then Katya stepped outside, hands behind her back, a sinister, sly grin on her face.

Always one to pick on his sister whenever she tried to throw down, Viktor leapt at Katya, only to be flung backwards past the brothers' scrum. Immediately the fighting stopped, and the boys looked in awe at their twitching brother, their sister's gauntlets, and the laughing young girl.

After soundly thrashing the boys (really just to say she could at this point), Katya wore her "gauntlets of power" with her wherever she went. It was during a trip into town that Mother was approached by a spectacled gentleman, one who talked about the gauntlets her daughter had constructed on her own. It was this gentleman that mentioned the city of Etria to the south, a place where Katya's skills, intelligence and scrappiness would be of value. After considerable deliberation with the family, Katya decided to head south to Etria, see the sights of the big city, find her own way in life (and maybe send some ental back, while she's at it).

I'm imagining Katya as primarily a Palm Alchemist, since they're just such a different and unique take on the concept of the Alchemist class from previous EO games. Of course, feel free to do what you wish.

Palm Alchemist was an EO2U invention. EOU doesn't have those. Its skillsets are fairly close to EO1's.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I mean, Pain Formula's kind of close to a Palm. I guess.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

May as well give it another go as well.

Name: Eren
Class: Dark Hunter
Appearance: Portrait 3, male with white hair, no changes

A charming, elegant young man whose taken to adventuring purely as a way to pass the time and pay the bills. He loves the rush of combat, fighting alongside his companions, and elegantly destroying all who oppose him. He is kind, well-mannered, but a bit haughty at times. He has a flowery way of speaking. He fancies himself a gentleman, though in truth he has no pedigree or title of any kind. His family owns a small shop in town that sells pottery, but who cares about that? Elegance comes form practice, not pedigree! And so he tries to be elegant and dramatic in all things he does, believing it is the attitude you take to life that decides your fate. His hobbies include gardening, sewing, and pottery. He chose the whip is a beautiful weapon, and often misunderstood. Its fast and elegant in nature, creating beautiful flashes of color on the battle field! Battles with him are a dance, a vibrant display of otherworldly grace!

Unfortunately, the last party he was with didn't see eye to eye with him and grew tired of his "artistry" and he eventually split form them. They refused to admit to the elegance of his shackles and gags, and seemed to take a crude joy in putting a dirty spin on things! He creates art on the battlefield, but they sully his name by making jokes about "shackles" and "gags"! There's nothing dirty about tying up one's enemy, leaving them helpless and begging for mercy! He tried explaining his woes to his boyfriend, but he just started blushing for some reason! Does nobody but him understand? The powers of a Dark Hunter are beautiful, and he will not stop until he's proven how elegant his Ecstasy is to the world!

"Prepare yourselves, for with the Shackles and Gag in place you helpless! I shall not relent, until I've wrung every last bit of energy from your weary body, and stand triumphant! Witness the true majesty of my Ecstasy!"

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Palm Alchemist was an EO2U invention. EOU doesn't have those. Its skillsets are fairly close to EO1's.

Was it?

...it was. Huh. Oh yeah, EOUChemist had the Pain Formula and Firelight and all that. Right. Whatever, backstory still works.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Name: Ladette Monterey
Class: Gunner
Appearance: Story Gunner, dull red dress, green eyes, azure gun, Troub 3 grey hair.

Any reasonably-sized Labyrinthine city has a seedy underbelly, and in Etria, if you're in the black market, you're in some way buying from the Monterey family. No bones about it. Old Monterey Jack, the founder of the family, is a tough old dog, and everyone who's anyone in Etria knows you don't double-cross a Monterey and live to tell the tale. These days, though, he's getting on in years, and a huge pile of tinier families are looking to get a piece of the pie once he kicks the bucket, thinking that whoever takes over the family after him will be an easy mark.

Ladette's known her whole life that that was what she was going to get into when she came of age, and by now, she's 22 and does twice as much work as an enforcer for the family as anyone else. Plenty of the old guard laugh her off, saying that staring down the barrel of a gun isn't the way a real mobster lives, that it's all about money, but if someone needs to pay up on a shipment of Highmore Caviar they haven't coughed up, Ladette knows the barrel of her trusty revolver Leandros is a better motivating factor than any pile of ental. Of course, when you're the boss's baby-faced daughter, people are going to cry nepotism no matter how many of them you could kill with a single bullet (even Billy from the Mauriat family and the stump for an arm you gave him.) So what's an enterprising young lady soon to inherit Etria's largest crime family to do? Enter the Labyrinth her own drat self, of course, and show those old bastards just how many things she can kill with a single bullet. (Plus, she might be more in favor of shooting, but nobody's gonna complain with a bit more ental on the side.)

Name: Jimmy
Class: Troubadour
Appearance: Troub 3, it's just Troub 3 because I can't improve on that portrait in any way

well howdy y'all my name's jimmy now i'm from a town down south in the country and now my family always told me that well i talk funny but i gots myself the loveliest singing voice you ever did hear and that's why i gotta put myself to work in makin melodies that the whole world's goin to bounce around to so when i stopped being a little boy and started being a big boy i started singing myselfs some barbaric marches and everywhere i went when i sang i kept accidentally givin people buffs in combat and so all the evil warlords around thought i was some kinda adventurer even if i told them mr. warlord i swears up and down i'm just a humble country boy and so i started jumpin around tryin to dodge all these crazy arrows and stuff and eventually i don't know how it happened but i was on stage in some kinda town hall gettin a medal for takin down haggar the horrible with my barbaric march and i told them well i'm just a humble country singer i ain't the kinda hero who deserves a medal and they told me he had some kinda princess done captive and i done reunited two warring kingdoms and also it turned out i done stepped on a switch that revealed the ancient imperial treasure and so now i'm a war hero and so now i just play in this bar all day cause now i'm a war hero so they can't tell me no! how y'all doin? want me to play yall some gilbert and the troubs?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Name: Ladette Monterey
Class: Gunner
Appearance: Story Gunner, dull red dress, green eyes, azure gun, Troub 3 grey hair.

Any reasonably-sized Labyrinthine city has a seedy underbelly, and in Etria, if you're in the black market, you're in some way buying from the Monterey family. No bones about it. Old Monterey Jack, the founder of the family, is a tough old dog, and everyone who's anyone in Etria knows you don't double-cross a Monterey and live to tell the tale. These days, though, he's getting on in years, and a huge pile of tinier families are looking to get a piece of the pie once he kicks the bucket, thinking that whoever takes over the family after him will be an easy mark.

Ladette's known her whole life that that was what she was going to get into when she came of age, and by now, she's 22 and does twice as much work as an enforcer for the family as anyone else. Plenty of the old guard laugh her off, saying that staring down the barrel of a gun isn't the way a real mobster lives, that it's all about money, but if someone needs to pay up on a shipment of Highmore Caviar they haven't coughed up, Ladette knows the barrel of her trusty revolver Leandros is a better motivating factor than any pile of ental. Of course, when you're the boss's baby-faced daughter, people are going to cry nepotism no matter how many of them you could kill with a single bullet (even Billy from the Mauriat family and the stump for an arm you gave him.) So what's an enterprising young lady soon to inherit Etria's largest crime family to do? Enter the Labyrinth her own drat self, of course, and show those old bastards just how many things she can kill with a single bullet. (Plus, she might be more in favor of shooting, but nobody's gonna complain with a bit more ental on the side.)

Name: Jimmy
Class: Troubadour
Appearance: Troub 3, it's just Troub 3 because I can't improve on that portrait in any way

well howdy y'all my name's jimmy now i'm from a town down south in the country and now my family always told me that well i talk funny but i gots myself the loveliest singing voice you ever did hear and that's why i gotta put myself to work in makin melodies that the whole world's goin to bounce around to so when i stopped being a little boy and started being a big boy i started singing myselfs some barbaric marches and everywhere i went when i sang i kept accidentally givin people buffs in combat and so all the evil warlords around thought i was some kinda adventurer even if i told them mr. warlord i swears up and down i'm just a humble country boy and so i started jumpin around tryin to dodge all these crazy arrows and stuff and eventually i don't know how it happened but i was on stage in some kinda town hall gettin a medal for takin down haggar the horrible with my barbaric march and i told them well i'm just a humble country singer i ain't the kinda hero who deserves a medal and they told me he had some kinda princess done captive and i done reunited two warring kingdoms and also it turned out i done stepped on a switch that revealed the ancient imperial treasure and so now i'm a war hero and so now i just play in this bar all day cause now i'm a war hero so they can't tell me no! how y'all doin? want me to play yall some gilbert and the troubs?

Your character submissions continue to be works of art, although I'm not sure anything will ever match your Shogun submission in the EO3 LP in my eyes.

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
Name: Thierry
Class: Medic
Appearance: Dark blue eyes and hair closer to the shade of Medic 1. If possible, reverse the red and white colors on his medical bag.

A quick smile, a playful charm, an attentive bedside manner and a deft hand at mixing the most potent medicines outside the Midgard Library itself. Thierry Hannighan seems like the perfect doctor, quick to act and discreet when he needs to be. Why he even had a husband... once. He's just never had the most luck getting himself his own practice or even signing on with a clinic of like-minded physicians. He still got plenty of work though, because he doesn't like to charge for his services. What could be so repellent about such a kind young man? Thierry is an honest sort though and he's more than willing to admit a couple of minor faults in the course of his work.

First of all, his medical license is less than legal. Thierry's skills are self-taught mostly through a lot of trial and error on himself. Medical training is expensive and he didn't have the most generous of backgrounds. Borrowing things is okay as long as you return them and those medical books ended up back on their shelves with only a few chemical stains on them. Who can afford to worry about legality when there are lives on the line? Sure sometimes his medicine took longer to work than he wanted and he lost a lot of blood, collected a lot of scars, but the coat covers those up. It's fine, in the name of progress, in the name of altruism. Secondly, while Thierry isn't outwardly arrogant or forceful there's a quiet surety, an absolute faith that he knows what is best for people's health. Sometimes their ethics too. Sometimes he has to do what's necessary to make people do the right thing for themselves. It isn't always pleasant but the best medicine is bitter medicine.

So maybe those fancy city doctors kicked him out and maybe he got a little desperate and headed out to join up with people who were desperate as well, who needed someone who could get the job done despite all the odds and who didn't care about stupid hurdles like medical licenses and and a little bit of pain now and then. And hey, adventurers like that probably need a little nudge in the right direction. Daredevils don't watch their health often enough! Good food, fresh air and plenty of liquids are a necessity, an absolute necessity! If they're not the types to eat their vegetables that's okay. Thierry knows a little recipe or two of his own that will numb the body enough to get them to sit still and TAKE THEIR loving VITAMINS ONCE IN A loving WHILE.

Goodness, not that he'd ever use such harsh language. Of course.

(Medic with a healthy dose of Delayed Heal, CPR and a strong splash of Curare to cover a lack of Paralysis affliction.)

Name: Lath
Class: Landsknecht
Appearance: Landsknecht 3 with blue hair and armor.

Lath is what you might call a wild child. That isn't a euphamism, he literally was born to parents who were stranded in the forest when their caravan was broken up by monsters, his mother was heavy with him at the time and sadly the two of them were unable to survive. Against all odds, Lath did, though he didn't have a name for most of his life. As a baby he was found and raised by some unusually friendly monsters, though even with the protection of a pack of wolves he was still mostly on his own. They were still monsters and his "brothers and sisters" were larger and stronger than him, but as soon as he was big enough to walk he was expected to start play-fighting with the pups. Luckily he seemed to have some good genetics backing him because the harder he was pushed by his wild family the stronger he got. His natural cleverness helped him just as readily, the boy learning to pick up a stick, that it was better than just his arm, and so without realizing what he was doing he taught himself the sword. Kind of. A sword is basically a metal stick, right?

Lath was by himself in the wilderness until his early teens, already a specimen of powerful muscle taking down larger beasts to feed himself and his adopted family. However the bigger and stronger he got the less tolerant his wolf parents got of his presence. They were getting old now and he was no longer the little cub they'd brought under their protection. Lath ended up having to fight them off eventually, leaving him truly alone and deeply confused. He became something of a solitary hunter after that, proving his strength and dominance over the beasts of the wilderness in order to make up for what he saw as his lack of worthiness to belong to a pack.

This lonely existence ended when he was finally found, taken in by a nobleman named Viktor Smythe who decided to earn himself some fame by taming what he saw as a barbarian, a wild animal of a man. He gave him the name Lath because it sounded simple and strong like his charge, and taught him to speak something other than monster growls. A few years later he fitted Lath for a suit of armor and gave him a fine new metal stick to work with. At first Lath was just his guard (and sometimes cabana boy) but once Etria's Yggdrasil labyrinth was opened he saw a new opportunity for himself and his little investment. Why keep Lath at home when he could send him out to earn them both greater fame and (even more) fortune? Lath could be the conquerer of Yggdrasil and Smythe would of course be his humble patron. It would only be fair that he got his pick of artifacts from the tree, is all.

Lath is a simple man, though not stupid. He is backwards as far as civilization is concerned and often amazed by the wonders outside of the wood as he is eager to get back into the wild places of the world and prove his might again and again. He can speak fairly well now, though he still peppers his speech with growls and monster-tongue and has animalistic ways of showing both anger and affection. He can even understand the strange sounds monsters make sometimes and translate. He likes straightforward pleasures like lots of meat and good drink, which he developed a taste for under his patron's tutelage. He also loves being praised and appreciated a lot.

He wears full armor for the labyrinth but he often complains about how stuffy it is and tends to strip it off for breaks and at the inn, which can be scandalizing for onlookers but he has very little to no sense of shame. He's passionate and fiery, always wanting to prove himself the strongest, to have the most fun possible, to preen and peacock himself in front of attractive people and to impress his patron and friends to whom he is very grateful! He is unfailingly loyal and has a strong pack instinct from his whole "raised by wolves" upbringing.

"Grrrrrrrr, EFF-OH-EE! Don't like it, get behind me. Don't worry, I'm a good boy. Nothing bad will happen! AROOOO!!!"

(Swordy Landsknecht, get some good attack skills going then rush War Cry and Savage Cry, possibly Strike Chaser.)

Sparda219 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Kaelin (ruler), Iseria, Your Choice x2

Dunno really what to vote, so I'll just vote for Iseria like always. I like fencers and chains.

I also have a character submission.

Name: Judith
Class: Landsknecht
Appearance: This should be the right size.

Judith is only child from a merchant family from a far-away land who accidentally landed up in a story much bigger than her humble beginnings, oh, the sort with politics and princes and poisonings. Having spent the better part of several years dealing with petty court politics, griping, and the only man on the planet with a vestigial spine, she snuck away at the crack of dawn, boarded a boat, and well, she's here now. Far, far away. Thank goodness, there's at least one sea between them and her. She's warm and kind, but blunt and surprisingly sharp-tongued,and by god she will brain you with the shaft of her axe if you waste her time being a pretentious rear end. Usually the straight-man.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Dragon Zombie voting is closed.

quote:

My choice: 8
Dosen: 7
Kaelin Six: 5
Cecil Combo: 5
Alexis: 4
Kaelin Ruler: 4 (+ 2)
Mio Love: 3 (+ 1)

Raven Warding: 3
Lanzon Summoning: 2
Iseria: 2
Mio Wrath: 1
Gram Falcon: 1
Mio: 1
Jana One: 1
Sasha Adamantine: 1
Lanzon Destroying: 1

The party shall be Alexis/Cecil, Kaelin/Mio/Dosen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Here's my second character.

Name: Artemis the 3rd (Or just Arty for short.)
Class: Survivalist
Portrait: 2

Once there was a legendary archer, renowned for her sheer strength, hunting prowess, and her ability to stun and stop any of her foes in their tracks with just one arrow. She eventually gave birth to a daughter who was, to put it bluntly, a failure and pretty much incapable with a bow. That archer eventually gave birth to her own daughter, who was... also not that great with a bow. Arty tried not to let that get her down at first, and took to studying the field of medicine and the various flora and fauna across the world. Just so she could be useful for something and raise enough money for her family to get by. That didn't stop the people in her town from pressuring her into being more like her grandma, and openly talking about how they hope she doesn't end up being a failure like her mother and she tried to take up the bow again, just to shut them up.

Unfortunately all that constant pressure molded her into a person who is insecure, easily pushed around by others, and prone to freaking out when something goes wrong, or just not entirely to plan. And to make matters worse, one day, her family went into debt due to a blunder her mother made, and was at threat of losing their home. Arty almost lost all hope... Until she heard of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. A dangerous place to be sure, but the potential rewards were well worth the risk in her eyes. Treasures and fortune could potentially be found in the labyrinth, solving her and her family's personal troubles. Braving the dangers would possibly let her step out of her ancestors' shadows and cause people to finally allow her to forge a new path for herself. And if she ends up dying... well life sucked anyways, so no big loss there. She just hopes that the qualifications for any guilds who are accepting Survivalists are more in the line of being good at field work and less being a good archer.

"Oh god, I messed up. I messed up so bad! Oh god everyone's dying and I can't handle this and somebody please help meeeee!"

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Might as well throw in a second character.

Name: Sigrid
Class: Dark Hunter
Portrait: 4, reddish-brown hair, brown eyes, dark blue/indigo outfit

Raised as a boy by her eccentric yet wealthy parents, Sigrid learned the art of swordplay from a young age. After striking out on her own, she made a name for herself as a brash yet compassionate explorer, guiding other young and fledgling heroes who were equally confused about their own identities. She's a big sister type at heart, looking out for her friends and thinking of her guilds as found families.

"Anyone can be a hero, no matter how or what they were born as."

(Standard sword-focused DH, can go into whips if it's needed.)

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Since you haven't made the hexer selection yet, can I edit my entry? Just a little.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Since you haven't made the hexer selection yet, can I edit my entry? Just a little.

Of course, go ahead.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Speaking of Hexers, here's another submission.

Name: "Quixote"
Class: Hexer
Portrait: 1, with a gray cloak fading into white near the ends.

"Gather, friends, for have you ever heard the tragedy of Hexer Quixote? I thought not; it's not a tale that most adventurers would tell you. It's an Etrian Odyssey Untold.

"There was once a man named Sir Carter of the House Bentley, a man of old money and wealth. He had a respectable, old life, living his time in High Lagaard, marrying a distant cousin of the House of Dubois and adding into his wealth. He had only one son, a bit of an inspired man that never quite made a splash in the world. After dabbling in the restaurant business for his life, Sir Carter retired to Etria with his wife and son in tow. For a time, it was peaceful family. Unfortunately, disaster struck with the discovery of the Etrian Labyrinth. Much like all the rush of adventurers seeking fame and glory, the man's son ran in, the blasted fool. Like many others, the son of House Bentley found an early grave in that forest. It wasn't soon after that the Mrs. Bentley took ill from the shock, and died shortly after.

"You all must understand the grief that a widower would feel. For a time Sir Carter would not leave his mansion, taking to the drink and mourning. Word of mouth says that there were much howling even in the middle of the night. Wasn't too long until the old man finally came out, wearing not his refined coattail but a rather shabby robe and chained up! Ran everywhere in Etria yelling about conquering the Labyrinth himself, even, called himself 'The Hexer, Quixote!' Poor fool didn't even know a thing about Hexes, let alone fear! Say he tried to strike in someone a fear of heights? He'd pull up a ruler and measure their height! Or a fear of loss'd just be him giving someone money and then taking it right back after. Fear of close space'd just be him invading their personal space, stuff like that. The whole town didn't know what to do with him, but they let him be. Poor fool must've went mad, but he still had the ental to do as he pleased.

"Well, that was about the time he went off to the Labyrinth himself, yelling about his romantic dreams, and that... well, that's another Untold tragedy of the Etrian Odyssey for you lot another time."

BlackPersona fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 8, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Okay I edited it a little

Name: Ein
Class: Hexer (portrait 3)

Ein was born in a family of hexers who decided on the day of his birth that he will take over the family business. Of course, this meant he actually spent a good deal of time hexing various things in order to earn a living. This earned his family plenty of animosity. Secretly Ein wanted to make a lot of friends and be super popular - but his upbringing meant his social skills weren't so hot. For starters, his taste in gifts is creepy (he thinks voodoo dolls and cursing implements are acceptable gifts), his compliments sound like insults (the more repulsive something looks, the more beautiful Ein thinks it is, and his "compliments" and comparisons reflect that) and of course his job was widely hated by every other person.

Ein's manners are actually very polite - mainly because someone in his family thought bringing misfortune to others while being polite and soft spoken about it would be funny. Others however grew angry with people treating them like villains for doing their dirty work, and insisted that they talk like the thugs and villains written in fiction... which resulted in Ein mostly talking politely, but occasionally slipping into comic book villain speach or delinquent speak. But of course, he would never raise his voice, even if he was telling someone to "get bent" or cackling like an evil overlord.

But Ein did realise his family's way of doing things was never going to land him any friends and he actually didn't want to be alone forever, so he "studied" how to make friends. You know, paying people compliments (which mostly offended them), getting them presents (which were creepy), and acting like a decent, nice person (offering discounts on making people miserable?) who helped you out when needed them (which meant cursing away the problem and that usually created more problems instead of ending them).

So when the Rhada announced the exploration of Yggdrasil, he jumped at the chance. He would leave his old job for this new one every other guy was doing, become a hero by exploring Yggdrasil and be super popular.

Also, he would get away from that family of his. He doesn't mind cursing people, but he would rather decide his future himself, preferably one in which he isn't gunned down by the angry witch hunting mob. Maybe he can be a housekeeper. Ein can actually cook, clean, bake, sew etc really well, because everyone in his family knows how. They refer to them as "basic life skills". And his taste in food is actually normal. He doesn't normally experiment with his food, unless egged on by someone.

Unfortunately, he never really fixed his personality and mannerisms, so normal ordinary people still find him creepy and rude. Ein still doesn't know why people get angry when he says they're as beautiful as an insect / monster / F.O.E, or why they act so horrifed when he offers to petrify the source of their problems, so it looks like the road to friendship will be a long and rocky one.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hello friends. Don't worry, I'm hard at work on Oliphant and Dragon Zombie. However, I've also been hard at work at choosing characters for EOU. I initially had reservations about picking all the characters this early, but...

Eh, screw it, I liked all these characters, I'm going with them.

Below are all the EOU characters. There's one more thing we need though: a guild name for EOU. Just toss out anything you think sounds nice.

Landsknecht: Judith (by Tyty)

quote:

Judith is only child from a merchant family from a far-away land who accidentally landed up in a story much bigger than her humble beginnings, oh, the sort with politics and princes and poisonings. Having spent the better part of several years dealing with petty court politics, griping, and the only man on the planet with a vestigial spine, she snuck away at the crack of dawn, boarded a boat, and well, she's here now. Far, far away. Thank goodness, there's at least one sea between them and her. She's warm and kind, but blunt and surprisingly sharp-tongued,and by god she will brain you with the shaft of her axe if you waste her time being a pretentious rear end. Usually the straight-man.

Survivalist: Elowen (by TollingBells on LPZ)

quote:

Elowen was raised in a wild forest, by a gruff father who showed love through harsh discipline. Once she got out on her own, this discipline helped her immensely, and she's proven to be a savant of forging, hunting, and survival. This has, in turn, made her weird. She joined up with the guild in a effort to normalize herself, but also to explore the last true frontier.

In personality, Elowen is quiet around most people, but she's very observant, and more sensitive to others than she'd care to admit. However, in the field, she's VERY in tuned with her survivalist instincts, to the point of tuning out others entirely. She does make a effort to be more sociable though, but she really has no idea how 'being a person' and 'holding a conversation' work.

Protector: Vince (by Level Seven)

quote:

You might ask Vince why he acts as a protector when he's buff enough under the armor to pin a wild elephant. He'd tell you about his dark history spanning decades, a tale of his time as an enforcer in the Midgard underworld as Vicious Vinny. Protection fees, illegal drugs and weaponry, they ran the works. After killing a family who 'forgot' to pay their protection fees, the surviving daughter was quickly forgotten about. Years later, after a raid on a rival gang in the town of Gotham, a crazed girl attacked the thugs. She never stood a chance and was slain on the spot.

In the aftermath of cleaning up their retreat, Vinny discovered she was the surviving daughter of the family he had burned alive. Disheveled by drugs and equipped with a blade no child should ever dreamed of holding, Vince realized that the gang turned an innocent girl into the crazed corpse on that day long past. He tried to convince the boss of changing their ways but was laughed away for the sudden growth of a conscience. His heart knew he had to take charge on his own to fix this growing nightmare. He set the hideout ablaze and escaped in the ensuing chaos, only to be caught in a duel with his former boss at the front door. In the end, he was only able to escape after a lucky blade strike got the boss in the face.

Sometime after that escape, his former men tracked him down at an inn he tried to lay low in. The staff knew nothing of Vince's past but were killed anyway just for being around the wrong time when the violence broke out. Vince escaped again and knew things had to change. His hands would slay men no longer, they would become a wall. His knife was traded for a shield to defend the innocent from his gang's wrath. His slick suit became armor to ensure he can keep bystanders safe even a minute longer.

It's all utter bullshit. He just got bored of the farming life and wanted some adventurous spice in his life.

Dark Hunter: Sigrid (by Jade Rider)

quote:

Raised as a boy by her eccentric yet wealthy parents, Sigrid learned the art of swordplay from a young age. After striking out on her own, she made a name for herself as a brash yet compassionate explorer, guiding other young and fledgling heroes who were equally confused about their own identities. She's a big sister type at heart, looking out for her friends and thinking of her guilds as found families.

"Anyone can be a hero, no matter how or what they were born as."

Medic: Thierry (by Sparda219)

quote:

A quick smile, a playful charm, an attentive bedside manner and a deft hand at mixing the most potent medicines outside the Midgard Library itself. Thierry Hannighan seems like the perfect doctor, quick to act and discreet when he needs to be. Why he even had a husband... once. He's just never had the most luck getting himself his own practice or even signing on with a clinic of like-minded physicians. He still got plenty of work though, because he doesn't like to charge for his services. What could be so repellent about such a kind young man? Thierry is an honest sort though and he's more than willing to admit a couple of minor faults in the course of his work.

First of all, his medical license is less than legal. Thierry's skills are self-taught mostly through a lot of trial and error on himself. Medical training is expensive and he didn't have the most generous of backgrounds. Borrowing things is okay as long as you return them and those medical books ended up back on their shelves with only a few chemical stains on them. Who can afford to worry about legality when there are lives on the line? Sure sometimes his medicine took longer to work than he wanted and he lost a lot of blood, collected a lot of scars, but the coat covers those up. It's fine, in the name of progress, in the name of altruism. Secondly, while Thierry isn't outwardly arrogant or forceful there's a quiet surety, an absolute faith that he knows what is best for people's health. Sometimes their ethics too. Sometimes he has to do what's necessary to make people do the right thing for themselves. It isn't always pleasant but the best medicine is bitter medicine.

So maybe those fancy city doctors kicked him out and maybe he got a little desperate and headed out to join up with people who were desperate as well, who needed someone who could get the job done despite all the odds and who didn't care about stupid hurdles like medical licenses and and a little bit of pain now and then. And hey, adventurers like that probably need a little nudge in the right direction. Daredevils don't watch their health often enough! Good food, fresh air and plenty of liquids are a necessity, an absolute necessity! If they're not the types to eat their vegetables that's okay. Thierry knows a little recipe or two of his own that will numb the body enough to get them to sit still and TAKE THEIR loving VITAMINS ONCE IN A loving WHILE.

Goodness, not that he'd ever use such harsh language. Of course.

Alchemist: Katya (by Aniodia)

quote:

Troubadour: Emmett (by Efe)

quote:

"Ah, have you not yet heard the tale? I'd be more than willing to oblige. For you see, legend tells of a hero, oft' mistaken as a mere myth, who roamed these lands e'er in search of a mysterious treasure, one long believed to be naught more than a fairy tale. That treasure was the source of all melodies, the very font of power from which Troubadours across the many lands of this world draw their strength from. What, thought ye that a mere ballad had the ability to embolden one's allies? But alas, as the months turned to years, nary a trace of this treasure had appeared. However, that is where our hero comes in. He was a mere Troubadour, much like I am, in search of this mythical treasure. He also had a glorious voice, mastered every instrument known to man, and an ental stash that could make kings weep, but that's neither here nor there. He scoured the globe in a relentless quest to bask in the glory of this treasure, but as the years turned to decades, his dedication bore no results. His hair turned gray, his voice became weaker, and his skills in combat waned. Nevertheless, his will was indomitable, until one faithful day, he chanced upon a fortuitous clue. Perhaps he ought not look upwards for answers, but seek the ground below him instead. Of course! The Yggdrasil labyrinth! So full of mysteries and wonders, it must contain the secrets that he pursues! And so, onward he marched, slowed not by age, exhaustion, or injury, into the depths of the Yggdrasil. Lo and behold, he reached the end of the labyrinth! Bruised, beaten, and tired, he regaled himself in his efforts as he was beholden to a sight no mortal had yet faced, living or otherwise. As he basked in its glory, he was granted the immense power to-"

"I'm going to stop you there, because I'm fairly certain that not only are you trying to boast about yourself, but a majority of that story was made up."

"...There's a non-zero chance that it wasn't."

Ronin: Momoe (by shinyplume on LPZ)

quote:

Momoe isn't exactly shy about it. She's not in for exploring the labyrinth to help Etria, or save the world, or whatever. It's all about the romance. And even then, "romance" is too elegant a word. She wants the fame; she figures, kill some nasty monsters, or help Etria improve, or whatever, become a hero, and the girls are bound to flock to her, right? Everyone's gonna want a smooch at that point. Maybe she can pick up some nasty scars that'll drive them wild, too. Of course, trying to develop a little more tact should help with that, too... Hm. One thing at a time, she figures.

That's not to say Momoe is gonna take the exploration lightly. On the contrary, you have to work hard to survive in the labyrinth, even when your goal is as selfish as hers. She trained herself diligently with the blade, all towards this goal. Not exactly a noble one, really, but with the wealthy family she's come from, such resources as tutors and practice katanas are easy to come by for that. (That may also be where her naive perception of romance comes from.) She's determined to survive and push through as far as the Guild is willing to go; that said, being as sheltered as she's been makes things hard sometimes, so trying new things is kind of exciting to her, though she hates to admit it.

Hexer: Quixote (by BlackPersona)

quote:

"Gather, friends, for have you ever heard the tragedy of Hexer Quixote? I thought not; it's not a tale that most adventurers would tell you. It's an Etrian Odyssey Untold.

"There was once a man named Sir Carter of the House Bentley, a man of old money and wealth. He had a respectable, old life, living his time in High Lagaard, marrying a distant cousin of the House of Dubois and adding into his wealth. He had only one son, a bit of an inspired man that never quite made a splash in the world. After dabbling in the restaurant business for his life, Sir Carter retired to Etria with his wife and son in tow. For a time, it was peaceful family. Unfortunately, disaster struck with the discovery of the Etrian Labyrinth. Much like all the rush of adventurers seeking fame and glory, the man's son ran in, the blasted fool. Like many others, the son of House Bentley found an early grave in that forest. It wasn't soon after that the Mrs. Bentley took ill from the shock, and died shortly after.

"You all must understand the grief that a widower would feel. For a time Sir Carter would not leave his mansion, taking to the drink and mourning. Word of mouth says that there were much howling even in the middle of the night. Wasn't too long until the old man finally came out, wearing not his refined coattail but a rather shabby robe and chained up! Ran everywhere in Etria yelling about conquering the Labyrinth himself, even, called himself 'The Hexer, Quixote!' Poor fool didn't even know a thing about Hexes, let alone fear! Say he tried to strike in someone a fear of heights? He'd pull up a ruler and measure their height! Or a fear of loss'd just be him giving someone money and then taking it right back after. Fear of close space'd just be him invading their personal space, stuff like that. The whole town didn't know what to do with him, but they let him be. Poor fool must've went mad, but he still had the ental to do as he pleased.

"Well, that was about the time he went off to the Labyrinth himself, yelling about his romantic dreams, and that... well, that's another Untold tragedy of the Etrian Odyssey for you lot another time."

Highlander: Afon (by Endorph)

quote:

Born with hearing that was 'spotty' at the best of times and rapidly degraded into near uselessness, Afon was abandoned by her parents - whoever they were - and picked up by a bandit/explorer by the name of Rick. Rick taught her everything he knew - and several things he didn't, considering he hunted down a book on sign language - and the result was a rambunctious, confident young woman who was eager to join her adoptive father on his misadventures. Unfortunately, her father, for all his positive qualities, was a pretty reckless man - he took himself and a few of his best men into the labyrinth to hunt down a beast, and never came back out.

Afon's quest isn't one for revenge - she knows full well that dozens of people have died to monsters in the labyrinth - but a quest to overcome her own fear, to prove that her father raised a strong fighter. She's rough around the edges (her favorite bit of sign language is a raised middle finger), loves drinking, and pretends to lipread better than she actually does, but she's also eager to please, brave in the face of danger, and loves drinking. The positive outweighs the negative, even for a bandit's daughter, right?

Gunner: Ladette (by alcharagia)

quote:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I like Afon, is the idea that she's going to talk via SA smilies?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BrightWing posted:

I like Afon, is the idea that she's going to talk via SA smilies?

...No? Deaf people are people. They can talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Congrats to everyone whose characters got in! All of them are well done and I await to see what you'll do with them, Ragnar.

For guild names, I'm gonna suggest Tenebris. Similar to how Lumen from EO2U was Latin for Light, Tenebris is Latin for Dark. Also there's some sort of Untold Game Parallel with this or something.

• Locked thread