Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

OutsideAngel posted:

So I started a new gig in a small pub kitchen, and while I like the place and the job more than the last, it's (a) cramped (b) greasy (c) poorly ventilated. And though this question isn't exactly food related, I'm sure plenty of folks have dealt with the issue:

What the gently caress do I do about terrible acne breakouts after every shift? I've tried creams and whatnot but 9 hours a day in a sweaty grease pit is just wrecking my skin. Anybody have experience dealing with this kind of thing?

Take two minutes to go to the washroom and wash your face occasionally until your body either gets accustomed to it or you have to go see a dermatologist for some prescription stuff. Make sure you're washing up before you leave for the night, don't wait until you get home because by then that poo poo's dried in your pores but good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If it makes you feel like GOOD PEOPLE when you berate and poo poo on some random individual chef for following the precedent set by the industry, cool, I'm happy for you. While you jerk yourself off, I'll be cooking food.

this is the industry thread, nearly everyone here cooks or has cooked food and apparently most of us managed to pay our employees for their work, almost like it's a really easy thing to do or something

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 1, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe you GOOD PEOPLE have a problem with a chef not washing their hands after taking a poo poo, but some of us are trying to cook!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is the industry thread, nearly everyone here cooks or has cooked food and apparently most of us managed to pay our employees for their work, almost like it's a really easy thing to do or something

Not everybody cooks, a good chunk of us look at our phones while ignoring annoying white ladies, work front of house.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any way to deal with the tackiness you get on utensils/containers that have sat out without being used or washed for god knows how long?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stuntman posted:

Is there any way to deal with the tackiness you get on utensils/containers that have sat out without being used or washed for god knows how long?

Wash them?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Stuntman posted:

Soak in hot water for a bit before you start scrubbing?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skwirl posted:

Not everybody cooks, a good chunk of us look at our phones while ignoring annoying white ladies, work front of house.

i said nearly everyone because as the only foh folks i can consistently remember are you and amahd

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i said nearly everyone because as the only foh folks i can consistently remember are you and amahd

I'm former FOH. Same for Vegetable Melange.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Soak in hot water for a bit before you start scrubbing?

Hot water and degreaser, honestly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stuntman posted:

We use vinegar and hot water for our soup pots.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Ah yes. A man and his dog.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

OutsideAngel posted:

So I started a new gig in a small pub kitchen, and while I like the place and the job more than the last, it's (a) cramped (b) greasy (c) poorly ventilated. And though this question isn't exactly food related, I'm sure plenty of folks have dealt with the issue:

What the gently caress do I do about terrible acne breakouts after every shift? I've tried creams and whatnot but 9 hours a day in a sweaty grease pit is just wrecking my skin. Anybody have experience dealing with this kind of thing?

Literally just wash your face as often as you can. Any time you use the bathroom wash your face. And definitely before you go home.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ah yes. A man and his dog.

I really don't like being grouped in with him. I'm going to chalk it up to this forum being overwhelmingly male, and BOH being mostly men and FOH being mostly women.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

I do both! At least when I'm out front in the Bistro area of the Hospital. Room Service is just like any line, albeit we actually have plenty of room to work.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Stuntman posted:

scrub them until either you get everything off, or your hands are so numb you can't tell

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Also myself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FOH present.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Take two minutes to go to the washroom and wash your face occasionally until your body either gets accustomed to it or you have to go see a dermatologist for some prescription stuff. Make sure you're washing up before you leave for the night, don't wait until you get home because by then that poo poo's dried in your pores but good.

Psychobabble posted:

Literally just wash your face as often as you can. Any time you use the bathroom wash your face. And definitely before you go home.

Eh, I guess I should have specified, my face is fine it's my back and shoulders that are the problem. But thanks for the answers!

Do you think it would be awkward to luffa in a pub washroom?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

OutsideAngel posted:

Eh, I guess I should have specified, my face is fine it's my back and shoulders that are the problem. But thanks for the answers!

Depends on how long the eye contact lasts.

Do you wear a jacket at work? What do you wear underneath it? Get a decent quality undershirt that's good at keeping moisture off your skin, like some UnderArmor or whatever knockoff Walmart carries. When I work in hot kitchens I have a stack of a dozen sports type shirts that I wear under my jacket and that mostly keeps it in check, though I'll admit I have less issues in that department than some I know.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i'm FoH/admin, more admin than FoH these days though.

edit: i might try to jump over to a hotel kitchen opening up in the redevelopment next door though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OutsideAngel posted:

Bring an extra undershirt and change half way through your shift maybe?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

Bring an extra undershirt and change half way through your shift maybe?

Use full strength degreaser on your back every day, have the dish pit guy spray you down with scalding water afterwards.

If I'm not being clealry sarcastic there please don't do any of what I just said.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Use full strength degreaser on your back every day, have the dish pit guy spray you down with scalding water afterwards.

If I'm not being clealry sarcastic there please don't do any of what I just said.

Knowing some people in this industry...

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hm, an interesting development.

for context, at the marina I live at I run a little breakfast buffet for our members and guests every saturday during the boating season--me and a bunch of other members get up and make it happen, and it's nothing too fancy. Bacon, fruit salad, yogurts, croissants, omelet bar, etc. We've got all the appropriate city licensing to serve food and I have my documentation. It's fun but I've long thought of it just a way to blow off the stress of the work week, and when people have complimented me on it before I'd generally graciously deflect (couldn't do it without other volunteers, etc., that kind of thing) but thank them for the compliment all the same. Usually we'd serve low 30s, coverwise, but we've gotten as high as 60.

Today I got an email from a member asking me if I'd be willing to cook for around 30 people for a week as part of an OBX wedding.

It's soon enough that I'm not sure I could get the time off, so this is a huge if. The soonness also makes me wonder if a previous plan fell through. I'm working on a response in my head, and the first and most obvious question is of course compensation. I'm going to ask for a couple days just to try and mull logistics, etc. but mostly so I can get my boss's (who has done this kind of thing before) opinion since Thursday's when next both he and I are working together.

I guess the next questions after compensation would be menu needs/expectations, budget for additional hands (for serving or prep or whatever), what the kitchen is like...honestly I'm daunted enough by being asked my brain's kinda freewheeling.

If nothing else this is making me more confident that jumping to the other side of the house would be a good move, I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

People who have week long destination weddings should kill themselves.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trebuchet King posted:

Hm, an interesting development.

for context, at the marina I live at I run a little breakfast buffet for our members and guests every saturday during the boating season--me and a bunch of other members get up and make it happen, and it's nothing too fancy. Bacon, fruit salad, yogurts, croissants, omelet bar, etc. We've got all the appropriate city licensing to serve food and I have my documentation. It's fun but I've long thought of it just a way to blow off the stress of the work week, and when people have complimented me on it before I'd generally graciously deflect (couldn't do it without other volunteers, etc., that kind of thing) but thank them for the compliment all the same. Usually we'd serve low 30s, coverwise, but we've gotten as high as 60.

Today I got an email from a member asking me if I'd be willing to cook for around 30 people for a week as part of an OBX wedding.

It's soon enough that I'm not sure I could get the time off, so this is a huge if. The soonness also makes me wonder if a previous plan fell through. I'm working on a response in my head, and the first and most obvious question is of course compensation. I'm going to ask for a couple days just to try and mull logistics, etc. but mostly so I can get my boss's (who has done this kind of thing before) opinion since Thursday's when next both he and I are working together.

I guess the next questions after compensation would be menu needs/expectations, budget for additional hands (for serving or prep or whatever), what the kitchen is like...honestly I'm daunted enough by being asked my brain's kinda freewheeling.

If nothing else this is making me more confident that jumping to the other side of the house would be a good move, I guess.

Be careful...a member of the marina sees you as paid help, and you already volunteer to do the brunch gratis. Be prepared to be lowballed, hard.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, we do charge for the breakfast, but that's still a really good point, since it's just to cover costs. Thanks, I will definitely take that under advisement.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm former FOH. Same for Vegetable Melange.

Emphasis on former, SUCKERS. Supply side LYFE! :dukedoge:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

Emphasis on former, SUCKERS. Supply side LYFE! :dukedoge:

I don't think I could do your job.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We just got the health inspection...

Men. I was not here for this event. And the guys tried, they really did.

Grade B: 87.5

Ehhhhh. gently caress.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his dog posted:

We just got the health inspection...

Men. I was not here for this event. And the guys tried, they really did.

Grade B: 87.5

Ehhhhh. gently caress.

Well good thing too, you could have been there and gotten a D

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The precedent aet by the industry sucks and it's the industry perpetuating it.

Change can only be made from the inside. A good example is the places that are removing tips, paying everyone fairly and raising prices. its working too

Yeah, you right. I stopped posting because I was getting angry (obviously), but I took some time and talked to a couple different chefs I know about this to get their insight.

Firstly, it isn't illegal per se. U.S. labor laws say that an unpaid position can't benefit the company directly, and in fact might hinder it. Any time I've ever had a stage, he is babysat by a cook all night and ends up slowing that station down considerably, and the other cooks have to help them out playing catchup on prep.

That said, doing the paperwork and dealing with the payroll for a new hire and cutting them a check for what might be one night of work would be a nightmare. We could pay them under the table, and that's something some other chefs I know have started doing apparently, and I'm considering as well.

I hadn't heard about places removing the tip system, so I looked it up. Good to see there is some success there. I'll admit that it's much easier to jump into a pool that already has water in it.

Explosive hostility has a way of making people double down and lash out. Doesn't mean someone is a horrible person though. I've got our chef meeting tomorrow, and I'm going to float this and see where it takes us.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I had to file a W2 when I was 16 and watching toddlers during church for 10 bucks an hour (so 20 bucks a week), my church could get it together to have things above board for the daycare situation, how is this that hard. I don't actually know how business taxes work, but isn't there something you can do with declaring them an independent contractor to make it simpler paperwork wise for their test night, when someone is currently unemployed, an extra 60 bucks can be a loving lifesaver.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 1, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I had to file a W2 when I was 16 and watching toddlers during church for 10 bucks an hour (so 20 bucks a week), my church could get it together to have things above board for the daycare situation, how is this that hard. I don't actually know how business taxes work, but isn't there something you can do with declaring them an independent contractor to make it simpler paperwork wise for their test night, when someone is currently unemployed, an extra 60 bucks can be a loving lifesaver.

Frankly, I don't mess with hiring paperwork, so I'm honestly not sure. A handful of cash under the table would be easier for everyone involved I'd wager, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Frankly, I don't mess with hiring paperwork, so I'm honestly not sure. A handful of cash under the table would be easier for everyone involved I'd wager, though.

This is what I generally advocate - pay $10/hr in cash or whatever at the end of the trial shift, and give them a verbal yes/no hiring at the end of the shift (or tell them when to expect a response). As was said, $50 can make a world of difference when someone is desperate - that can be the difference between someone having a cell phone for the next month or eating for the next two weeks, and not. And if you're in the US, since it's <$600, you're not responsible for sending them a 1099 which minimizes the paperwork on your end.

The main issue is liability, in case they somehow get seriously hurt. That can land you in some trouble if they need treatment for an injury of some sort, but that's on you to mitigate (which I'm assuming you're already doing because no employer wants their employees injured).

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Depending on what state/country you live in, there are qualifications to being an independent contractor that exclude most people who aren't actual independent contractors from being treated like one. For example, in Washington you have to be able to use your own work equipment, and not have either your working locations or your work hours dictated by the person who hired you. You can thank the tech industry for exploiting "independent contractors" until they forced the legislature to tighten up the law.

Putting someone on payroll can be a pain, particularly if you're not linked up with a payroll service and are doing your books by hand, which I assume a lot of restaurants are. You need SSN's, withholding forms, legal residency forms, and then depending on the pay cycle, you're going to cut someone a check for a night's worth of work two weeks or more after their stage? Honestly if it were me running the place, I'd be really tempted to just pay cash under the table at the end of the night.

But despite the flack you were given, I'm glad you're asking around and considering a change, Sandwich Anarchist. Good on you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah we typically have a chat by nights end about whether or not we want to bring them on, and a couple 20s and a handshake shouldn't be hard to swing. It's never been about the money, we are doing well enough, it's just the precedent that we thought existed. Sometimes you need a push to get moving.

And really, people have already spent $30 on custom avatars for me, so it's hard for me to stay mad in the face of laughing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah we typically have a chat by nights end about whether or not we want to bring them on, and a couple 20s and a handshake shouldn't be hard to swing. It's never been about the money, we are doing well enough, it's just the precedent that we thought existed. Sometimes you need a push to get moving.

And really, people have already spent $30 on custom avatars for me, so it's hard for me to stay mad in the face of laughing.

Thanks for at least reconsidering dude. Your future employees will be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
The productive power of mockery.