Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you are In the B tier you can do the party stuff and get MLG in league mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
This game needs a decent 2v2 volleyball mode because sometimes turf war isn't chill enough and I just want to unwind on the beach with some squids.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I dunno, I really think ranked isn't that bad. C rank is a bit silly to be expected, but I've found some pretty well balanced matches in the b and up ranks

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Shame Boner posted:

This game needs a decent 2v2 volleyball mode because sometimes turf war isn't chill enough and I just want to unwind on the beach with some squids.

If it's as bad as ARMS' volleyball then no thank you

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Also people are really starting to get the hang of salmon run. Got deep into professional with a bunch of random players today, scoring 60 golden eggs a run

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm kinda starting to hate this game now because of ranked mode. I am SO loving sick of grinding up matches with teammates that have zero map awareness whatsoever. Just let me play with people who aren't idiots already, for the love of god. I can't do grinding up 3 separate modes individually, this is hell.

If you were actually as good as you think you are then you would of skipped ranks and the grind wouldn't be an issue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you were actually as good as you think you are then you would of skipped ranks and the grind wouldn't be an issue.

Not necessarily. Over the long term, yes, but that's why I said I was sick of grinding. If this game was single player what you said would be definitely true but its not.
And I'm already ranked up high in some modes, which is why that was my specific complaint :colbert:

Yes, sometimes I do skip up ranks, but you still have to play lots of matches with teammates that suck and sometimes no amount of carrying will win the match. Its a team game.

Splat zones seems the most straightforward by far. Rainmaker and tower control both need teamwork, rainmaker is probably the worst for not being able to carry the match yourself.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can carry any mode if you try hard enough

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Because none of the game modes are based on K/D teamwork and strategy can be way more important than raw twitch skill. Pushing through to higher ranks by playing with tons of lone wolves is just lame.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

In Training posted:

You can carry any mode if you try hard enough

Yeah, pretty much. There's a bunch of things you can do to help out your team a ton. There might be a few idiotic matches here and there, but if you're really better than the game thinks you are, you're gonna go to a higher rank eventually.

The matchmaking is fine. And even at S ranks, stupid plays still happen. It's just more in the realm of people just happened to make a mistake that set them back a ton.

Zaphod42 posted:

Because none of the game modes are based on K/D teamwork and strategy can be way more important than raw twitch skill. Pushing through to higher ranks by playing with tons of lone wolves is just lame.

I mean being able to kill enemy team members without being killed yourself or being able to wipe whole teams will certainly help your own team.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The best rain maker matches ate the ones where you pop the shield and dunk it yourself. It's like, where is everyone else

Edit: I actually feel like rainmaker needs the least teamwork, in that two coordinated players can really make some plays.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Rollers and fast-inking weapons have a place in Ranked, which is a shame because they're bound by trust in your teammates.
Blocking off all entry points and making everything around the objective your color doesn't mean much if your team can't pick up kills.

I end up with longrange weapons every time even though I don't like them, because they feel like the only way to impact the game through individual skill.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The only mode I can't carry on yet is Tower Control, and that's on me. That mode exposes all my flaws as a squid, i'ma keep splatting though.

EDIT: Are there any good streamers or youtubers that anyone recommends to learn more ranked strategies and such? Entertaining is also good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Gorp posted:

I end up with longrange weapons every time even though I don't like them, because they feel like the only way to impact the game through individual skill.

I wouldn't say that's true. I got up to A and S rank by making use of close range weapons such as the Sloshers and the brushes. I basically tried to initiate fights and ambush the enemy whenever I could (and if said ambushes would actually help the team.) Picking off enemy Chargers really extended my team's lifespan at times, and could help them accomplish the objective. My advice really would be to maybe take on a certain role you can play in battles and try to get better at it, whether it's fighting, something that help directly accomplishes the objective, or just inking turf.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I love when people say the sloshers are close ranged weapons.

They have the same range as the repeater and dualies

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Nintendo unlocked this door with the key of imagination.
Beyond it lies another dimension.
A dimension of ink, a dimension of splats, a dimension of woomy.
You've just crossed over into...
Shifty Station? That's a terrible name!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Yeah I mean the sloshers aren't super precise but they don't need to be. If you have the high ground AND a slosher, it's deadly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yyyyeah no. Sloshers suck at close range. If someone gets in my face when I'm using a Slosher I'm a dead squid.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Silver Falcon posted:

Yyyyeah no. Sloshers suck at close range. If someone gets in my face when I'm using a Slosher I'm a dead squid.

Duck and weave, bub!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

They're actually longer range than the dualies (by about 5), if you're aiming at the correct angle.

They're pretty bad at short range because the main 'hit' of the weapon is a small sphere just like the blaster.

(Maybe 'people' mean the trislosher which is much shorter range?)

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 1, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So tomorrow should have a new piece of GrizzCo gear right? Hope its something actually stylish.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Not necessarily. Over the long term, yes, but that's why I said I was sick of grinding. If this game was single player what you said would be definitely true but its not.
And I'm already ranked up high in some modes, which is why that was my specific complaint :colbert:

Yes, sometimes I do skip up ranks, but you still have to play lots of matches with teammates that suck and sometimes no amount of carrying will win the match. Its a team game.

Splat zones seems the most straightforward by far. Rainmaker and tower control both need teamwork, rainmaker is probably the worst for not being able to carry the match yourself.

I've pretty much had no problem gaining a rank a session so far. Be honest about when its your fault and when its your team's fault, and try to adapt to what your team isn't doing well. In one game tonight I could just NOT get a flank in with the tri slosher, so I just tried to zone people out and ink territory since nobody else was doing it. At the end was barely pull the tower farther than them and we won a game in which we were mostly getting stomped.

Sometimes, it's not going to be enough; but with the way the ranked bar works, and how you're not penalized for rage quitters on your team; I've had a pretty reasonable (and good) time ranking up so far.

Also, try not to get too angry. This game's netcode is garbage afterall.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I just made the switch to the rapid blaster from the blaster and my God does it make a difference not having crap nades and special.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This is my post to declare there will be a minor bucket nerfing coming

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

They're actually longer range than the dualies (by about 5), if you're aiming at the correct angle.

They're pretty bad at short range because the main 'hit' of the weapon is a small sphere just like the blaster.

(Maybe 'people' mean the trislosher which is much shorter range?)

Yeah, I meant the Tri-Slosher. That one has a noticeably shorter range than quite a few other weapons.

LethalGeek posted:

This is my post to declare there will be a minor bucket nerfing coming

Oh, that's definitely happening. At least with the Tri-Slosher. There's no way that's not getting nerfed, it's like one of the best weapons to use in Ranked. Not sure about the Slosher itself.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to miss this version of the tri slosher

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Just downloaded a software update for Splatoon 2 (not the previous one that fixed the ticket bug) but can't find any information about it. Does anyone know what was updated?

Also, thanks to the thread for being so helpful, especially for Salmon run! Details like how to tell high tide and low tide plus examples of the gushers for "Find the Goldie" waves was incredibly helpful. On that note though, in the latest round even though I found the Goldie each time our team couldn't make the egg quota. I've found that seem to happen more often on these waves and Mothership waves (and it's not just the mothership stealing eggs). Any advice on how to meet the quota for these waves - like should you generally always run back to the basket if you have a golden egg, or should you stay and shoot the Goldie/canisters, etc?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

CatsPajamas posted:

Just downloaded a software update for Splatoon 2 (not the previous one that fixed the ticket bug) but can't find any information about it. Does anyone know what was updated?

Also, thanks to the thread for being so helpful, especially for Salmon run! Details like how to tell high tide and low tide plus examples of the gushers for "Find the Goldie" waves was incredibly helpful. On that note though, in the latest round even though I found the Goldie each time our team couldn't make the egg quota. I've found that seem to happen more often on these waves and Mothership waves (and it's not just the mothership stealing eggs). Any advice on how to meet the quota for these waves - like should you generally always run back to the basket if you have a golden egg, or should you stay and shoot the Goldie/canisters, etc?

If you think you found the manhole with the Goldie in it, spam the "This Way!" command. Even if you're wrong, hopefully everyone should be in position to help smack the Goldie when you do find the right manhole. if you're by yourself and you find it, definitely spam "This Way!" If you manage to get a lot of Golden Eggs from it, someone should probably be on standby guarding the eggs so they don't get stolen before you play hot and cold again. It can be a hard wave to farm for Golden Eggs in, so you need every edge you can get.

Oh and when you find the wrong manhole, just move onto another one immediately. Don't bother killing the Salmonids that come out of it, as that'll just cause the Gusher to spawn more (Thankfully, they don't spawn an infinite amount.)

For the mothership waves, if there's a Charger in the rotation, the Charger's responsibility should be sniping the boxes out of the sky. In ideal circumstances, your team will be swarmed with Golden Eggs and they only thing they would have to worry about is grabbing the eggs and getting them back to the basket. Oh, and the mothership. That won't always be the case, so the team should split up and snipe as many Salmonids holding the boxes as they can before they fly away.

The most important thing to keep in mind for a mothership wave is to stop the mothership from stealing any eggs. When Mr. Grizz warns you about that, everyone should drop what they're doing and head back to the basket to defend it. The last thing you want is for your team to go below quota or being unable to meet it because too many eggs got stolen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Meeting the egg quota in the geyser round is, unfortunately, pretty luck based. Unless your team knows what to do, it will be very easy to miss the quota with bad luck on where the goldie shows up. If it keeps showing up near the basket though its trivial. The key to doing it reliably is to locate the goldier quickly without opening a ton of geysers. If you aren't drowning in chum, you can focus on shooting the goldie and running the eggs back to the basket. If you get a bunch of eggs out of the goldie, make sure someone guards them as well. The snatchers show up pretty quickly so unattended eggs will be stolen before you can get back to them most of the time. Obviously this is all very difficult to pull off with randoms that don't understand the mode well.

As for the mothership round, you should always be hunting down the copter fish. Big mistake you can make is assuming you need to clear out the spawner coolers. The coolers will blow up on their own eventually, so its not worth going out of your way to smash them. Only shoot them when they are on your path since they go down easily. Otherwise you should be scanning the area for copter fish to shoot and running their eggs back to the basket ASAP. Listen for the whirling noise they make, as that means one has spawned very close to you. The team should probably spread out to cover as much of the map as possible, as there's very little chance of someone getting killed in this round unless they gently caress up massively.

The mothership itself should almost always be the priority of everyone on the team to drive away. There are exceptions though depending on the weapon loadout. If you have a short-range weapon, it won't be able to reach the mothership until its very close, so you should be spending more time running eggs back to the basket and only defend it if absolutely necessary. The high DPS weapons with decent ranges should be prioritizing the mothership above all else. Best example of this situation was the weapon loadout that had the splatling gun and ink brush. The ink brush was basically useless versus the mothership, but the splatling gun could solo it. So if everyone is playing properly, the ink brush user wouldn't even come back and would be delivering eggs while the splatling gun blows away the motership with ease. Ere on the side of caution though; you don't know how competent your team is gonna be. If all else fails, the stingray is good for driving away the mothership and a splashdown when its latched onto the basket will deal substantial damage.

Unrealted: Am I crazy or are the dual squelchers insanely good? They seem to have really good damage, fire rate, and range.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 1, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
You can also use the stingray to blast the mothership on its approach, which can cause it to drop eggs.

E;fb

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Anyone else experiencing the empty spot where the squid you just splatted once stood continuing to shoot you for a disconcertingly long time afterwards? I literally had time to turn around, get shot in the back, incredulously turn around and get splatted by a guy I'd killed nearly three seconds before. Are the servers just that bad?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Bleck posted:

Anyone else experiencing the empty spot where the squid you just splatted once stood continuing to shoot you for a disconcertingly long time afterwards? I literally had time to turn around, get shot in the back, incredulously turn around and get splatted by a guy I'd killed nearly three seconds before. Are the servers just that bad?

I have never seen that before

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tried the octobrush in tower control, oh lord is it better than the inkbrush.

Bleck posted:

Seen that a couple of times in splatoon 1, it was pretty drat rare though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I take back what I said about the Burst Bombs being not so great. They're probably one of the best sub-weapons in the game, along with Auto Bombs and Splash Walls. Has the lowest Ink usage out of all sub-weapons (Only 40%), and has a ton of utility (such as harassing, area coverage, and being able to snag quick long distance pickoffs) especially with how fast they come out.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

CatsPajamas posted:

That was a system update. Allegedly fixed a battery display issue.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Anyone have any words on the splatoon 2 prima guide? I'm thinking of buying it and wondering if anyone here can comment on it

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Splat bomb is the king! Roll that sucker on the ground for cool rebound splats.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Splat bomb is the king! Roll that sucker on the ground for cool rebound splats.

Splatbomb is the reason I'm sticking with the albatross that is the Stingray.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I didn't know you could cook the curler bombs. This changes everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010