Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Beelzebub in DDS was a badass fight. There's another later on that I thought was amazing but I won't spoil it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Evil Eagle posted:

Beelzebub in DDS was a badass fight. There's another later on that I thought was amazing but I won't spoil it

If it's the one I am thinking of it's amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm planning on checking out all the optional bosses except for Demi Fiend because A) he's insane and B) he's NG+ only and I'll just be moving onto DDS2. Also the Karma Temple looks so sick. I love SMT's huge towers

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

In Training posted:

I'm planning on checking out all the optional bosses except for Demi Fiend because A) he's insane and B) he's NG+ only and I'll just be moving onto DDS2. Also the Karma Temple looks so sick. I love SMT's huge towers

Beating demifiend was one of the highlights of the mid 2000s for me

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

he's got nothing on the DDS2 secret boss on hard mode imo.

play DDS2 on hard mode IT

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

he's got nothing on the DDS2 secret boss on hard mode imo.

play DDS2 on hard mode IT

Bosses with rotating strengths/weaknesses are garbage gimmicks

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You heard it here first: Strange Journey's final boss is garbage

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

What a loving dork you are lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Bosses with rotating strengths/weaknesses are garbage gimmicks

I kinda like those. When they say "oh they shifted form!" and then they glow a different color. The final boss of P3 was pretty sick, in that vein.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

For sure. It's a fine gimmick for a fight as long as it isn't overused.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
There's a lot of really cool FF bosses that do that. Like the Crystals from FFV

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid Prime Phase 1 is my favorite of those, because it fakes you out constantly. Not a JRPG tho

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

A boss should face you without gimmicks and full power 100% strength instead of relying on rock paper scissors.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think bosses should be invincible until you use a gimmick to defeat them, such as standing on 3 switches or using telefrags

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

i remember that the elemental switching boss in x-2 was terrible, in that it switched rapidly, and could switch from weakness to absorb and actually sped up switching elements partway into battle.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bosses without gimmicks don't really exist in JRPGs

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

i remember that the elemental switching boss in x-2 was terrible, in that it switched rapidly, and could switch from weakness to absorb and actually sped up switching elements partway into battle.

I definitely think that this kind of gimmick does not work with ATB. But it's fine in turn based games.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Bosses without gimmicks don't really exist in JRPGs

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

So Lucifer in SMT3 isn't a gimmick? Because really other than using pierce he is next to impossible

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

That RPG feel when a boss wipes you so quick you think it must have been a story battle you're supposed to lose but nope there's the game over screen

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

P-Mack posted:

That RPG feel when a boss wipes you so quick you think it must have been a story battle you're supposed to lose but nope there's the game over screen

This was me with Dhoulmagus in DQ8

I set the game down for a month after that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reached a door that has a Point of No Return prompt so it's time to start hunting superbosses. The Snake headed boss right before this was cool and I obliterated it by accident because my MC had High Counter on and was doing 2000+ damage a turn off counterhits

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Killed an Omoikane finally after 30+ hours :staredog: it's like a liquid metal slime that taunts you randomly the entire game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Killed an Omoikane finally after 30+ hours :staredog: it's like a liquid metal slime that taunts you randomly the entire game

lmao I never beat one of those things in my 200+ hours playing both games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao I never beat one of those things in my 200+ hours playing both games

I got insanely lucky and it didn't run after the first turn for some reason. Argilla gained 3 levels from one battle lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat Beezlebub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YwtKxyM78g

cool fight. hunting the 4 beasts now, i like that some of the ultimate mantra are just ludicrously OP and it alters the boss AI to gently caress with you for trying to use them to cheese the big battles. but you can use them to farm or whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also a heads up for any PS2 owners, a goon is offloading his collection for cheap $$ https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830645 if you say, don't own SSX3 already for some reason, nows a good time to pick it up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Played some Eternal Ring today...seems neat. I like the music. I probably wont ever finish it, because if I wanted to play a game like this I would probably get into one of the later king's fields or play dark souls again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ace Combat 5 completed, I love these games...going to get started on AC0 asap. I'm now insanely excited for ace combat 7, it looks absolutely gorgeous. and digital devil saga 2 is in the mail, cant wait to finish the fight

sick rear end music + feels here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68iE6Jty-00&t=318s

i hope though that at some point they just give the main character a model because all the cutscenes having to block them out of frame gets weird after a while

In Training fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 22, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Ace Combat 5 completed, I love these games...going to get started on AC0 asap. I'm now insanely excited for ace combat 7, it looks absolutely gorgeous. and digital devil saga 2 is in the mail, cant wait to finish the fight

sick rear end music + feels here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68iE6Jty-00&t=318s

i hope though that at some point they just give the main character a model because all the cutscenes having to block them out of frame gets weird after a while

The final mission in 5 is a god tier video game moment. Blaze? Blaze? Commander? <= Yes No=>

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also love how the bad guys are just so exasperated with fighting you, like they know they're gonna lose so they deorbit a satellite just to say gently caress you after already losing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

I also love how the bad guys are just so exasperated with fighting you, like they know they're gonna lose so they deorbit a satellite just to say gently caress you after already losing

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For anybody who hasn't played AC5 the big twist in the plot is that the war between Osea and Yuktobonia was being perpetrated by a Belkan sleeper cell terrorist organization to get revenge for their country being eliminated by nuclear weapons 15 years ago. But you are such a loving amazing untouchable godlike pilot that you were single handedly winning the war for Osea so they had to take you out or else the countries wouldn't destroy each other through a decade long war, which winds up revealing their hand in the conflict

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The back of the AC0 box makes it sound like you're going to play through the belkan war 15 years ago which is epic. I'll have to rewatch the AC7 trailers now to see what part of the Lore is going to be tackled in the new installment

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

poo poo, this whole time I thought it said "Balkan" and was a dark gritty reboot set in the 90s.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

poo poo, this whole time I thought it said "Balkan" and was a dark gritty reboot set in the 90s.

The ace combat team loves the valkyria chronicles thing where the names are really familiar even though all the details are totally different

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

The back of the AC0 box makes it sound like you're going to play through the belkan war 15 years ago which is epic. I'll have to rewatch the AC7 trailers now to see what part of the Lore is going to be tackled in the new installment

I think the rumor is that it's a sequel directly to 5. That the woman who Base jumps from the space elevator is the lady from 5

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Btw if you ever replay 5 selecting a different answer for Choppers question about if you liked the song or not changes the next mission

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
THIS IS REQUIRED IMPZONE WATCHING THE WHOLE THING https://youtu.be/iWRdMX1VaZA

Ace Combat is a sick series and 5 is imo one of the most overlooked games on the ps2. It's a complete masterpiece and holds up even today. The nuggets are falling out of the sky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

SOLO WING PIXIE ace combat is so epic

• Locked thread