Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Edit: Did not mean to post.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

The Manbearpig episode of South Park is loving shameful, especially when you realize it's not even that old. There was an overwhelming scientific consensus that man-made climate change was happening in 2006 too.

I still think it's funny even if what it's making fun of is true.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
South Park's biggest downfall is that Matt and Trey are absolutely loving terrified of being considered old and no longer these hot edgy dudes so they've basically doubled downed on the shittiest kind of "HEH, YOU'RE OFFENDED BY ME CALLING YOU A FAG?! WOW, BETTER GET IN YOUR SAFE SPACE YOU loving QUEER HEH"

Cartman went from basically being an evil shithead who you were supposed to hate to the dude tearing those dumb ol liberals down!

When the show focuses on either: A. Universally absurd ideas and concepts (reality TV, NAMBLA, bad movies) B. character lore and ideas it can be super funny. It turns to poo poo when it becomes Matt and Trey's Libertarian/Alt Right Picture Show.

Honestly this was ALWAYS a problem. I've been going through older episodes and two in particular stand out as really bad

Sexual Harrasment Panda's message is basically "Yeah sexual harassment is bad...but did you ever think that by suing the company you may be even worse?"

Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000 is basically the lamest college freshmen bullshit of "Man wh...when you really think about it.....aren't all crimes hate crimes?"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

OldTennisCourt posted:

South Park's biggest downfall is that Matt and Trey are absolutely loving terrified of being considered old and no longer these hot edgy dudes so they've basically doubled downed on the shittiest kind of "HEH, YOU'RE OFFENDED BY ME CALLING YOU A FAG?! WOW, BETTER GET IN YOUR SAFE SPACE YOU loving QUEER HEH"

Cartman went from basically being an evil shithead who you were supposed to hate to the dude tearing those dumb ol liberals down!

When the show focuses on either: A. Universally absurd ideas and concepts (reality TV, NAMBLA, bad movies) B. character lore and ideas it can be super funny. It turns to poo poo when it becomes Matt and Trey's Libertarian/Alt Right Picture Show.

Honestly this was ALWAYS a problem. I've been going through older episodes and two in particular stand out as really bad

Sexual Harrasment Panda's message is basically "Yeah sexual harassment is bad...but did you ever think that by suing the company you may be even worse?"

Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000 is basically the lamest college freshmen bullshit of "Man wh...when you really think about it.....aren't all crimes hate crimes?"

I maintain that the best South Park episodes are the genre parodies. The teen comedy that was Asspen, sports drama in Stanley's Cup, crime thriller in Toilet Paper, or even cop action flick in Lil' Crime Stoppers. Trey and Matt are outstandingly good at satirizing media tropes because they're passionate about movies and pop culture. They don't give a poo poo about the vast majority of current events, and if an issue is the slightest bit nuanced they won't do the bare minimum of research needed to effectively satirize it.

Ultimately the biggest crime in South Park's ethos is giving a poo poo. Caring about anything is fundamentally stupid, no matter what. Makes for great satire about things that truly don't matter, like movies. Completely backfires when it's something that actually matters at all.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
If memory serves, they don't want to cover Trump now that he's president either, but I haven't watched the show in a while.

I don't think they're obligated to make fun of the guy, but it seems hypocritical considering they haven't shown much reservation in the past.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Jul 31, 2017

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Riatsala posted:

Ultimately the biggest crime in South Park's ethos is giving a poo poo. Caring about anything is fundamentally stupid, no matter what. Makes for great satire about things that truly don't matter, like movies. Completely backfires when it's something that actually matters at all.

I think this is South Park's worst legacy. Every fan of the show that I know is so drat cynical that it's hard to be around them. This November alone I heard the Douchebag/Turd Sandwich bullshit way too many times.
The whole mentality of "Well, nothing works and everyone is incompetent, so I might as well sit on the sidelines and make fun of it (instead of trying to make things better)" is so cowardly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RobotDogPolice posted:

If memory serves, they don't want to cover Trump now that he's president either, but I haven't watched the show in a while.

I don't think they're obligated to make fun of the guy, but it seems hypocritical considering they haven't shown much reservation in the past.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/south-park-trey-parker-trump-parody-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

quote:

“South Park” turns 20 this year. Has it gotten harder over those years to do satirical comedy, especially now that everyone on the Internet can make their own jokes off the latest news within seconds?

Yeah, and it’s also just gotten boring. We weren’t ever really that show. We would do an entire season and there would be one moment that played off something that had just happened and people would go, “ ‘South Park’ is the show that does that.” And that’s just not true. We’re not.
We did start to become that, though, especially the last season. We fell into the same trap that “Saturday Night Live” fell into, where it was like, “Dude, we’re just becoming CNN now. We’re becoming: ‘Tune in to see what we’re going to say about Trump.’ ” Matt and I hated it but we got stuck in it somehow.

This season I want to get back to Cartman dressing up like a robot and [screwing] with Butters, because to me that’s the bread and butter of “South Park”: kids being kids and being ridiculous and outrageous but not “did you see what Trump did last night?” Because I don’t give a ... anymore.We probably could put up billboards — “Look what we’re going to do to Trump next week!” — and get crazy ratings. But I just don’t care.

Let's be honest: the guy is so far beyond parody, how do you do something outrageous and funny about him, when the real world antics are even worse?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Translation: We're both tremendous babies and we're scared to lose our alt-right fanbase by bashing Trump.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

spog posted:

Let's be honest: the guy is so far beyond parody, how do you do something outrageous and funny about him, when the real world antics are even worse?

The only thing they could do would be to portray Trump as some sort of 24's Charles Logan.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
They've portrayed easy targets before. This is the biggest pile of bullshit they're pulling so they can hide behind it. I'd believe them more if the last two seasons weren't "Heh SJW liberal pussies....right guys?" They don't wanna lose that sweet sweet sweet hate money.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

spog posted:

A lot of the people they make fun of are already a parody of themselves though. They make fun of them specifically for that reason, then they make those people represent an entire philosophy.

It just seems like your priorities are totally hosed when you devote time to ridiculing safe spaces, something that's relatively innocuous, but decide to say nothing about policies that are actually impacting people's lives while claiming to be satire.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jul 31, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
300th episode of the Simpsons
Like yes celebrities are a thing since forever in the Simpsons but who the hell thought Tony Hawk, Blink 182 and Michael Jackson's child endangerment pictures would be timeless

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

letthereberock posted:

The entire first season of Parks and Recreation is pretty much unwatchable in light of the changes they made for the subsequent seasons.

In the first season, Leslie is portrayed as this ditzy, clueless bureaucrat, in a way that could never have sustained multiple seasons. I think they were cribbing too hard off of The Office, which was based on the idea that workplace comedy can only be funny if everyone is bad at and/or indifferent to their job.

From the second season on, they rewrote Leslie as super-competent at her job, but also overbearing and somewhat naive. It creates a really jarring contrast with the first season which makes the entire first season seem like an extended outtake.

To be fair, the first season was 6 episodes long, trying way too hard to be an office rip off, and was loving terribly. I've rewatched the show many times and I've never watched season 1 beyond the first time. Plus I wanna say that season was close to getting the show cancelled before it ever started but I can't find any articles on that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stefan Urquell was a 23 minute infomercial for cocaine

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RobotDogPolice posted:

A lot of the people they make fun of are already a parody of themselves though. They make fun of them specifically for that reason, then they make those people represent an entire philosophy.

It just seems like your priorities are totally hosed when you devote time to ridiculing safe spaces, something that's relatively innocuous, but decide to say nothing about policies that are actually impacting people's lives while claiming to be satire.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how do you mock someone who paints his face orange, has a reverse mullet, can't complete a coherent sentence and is quite possibly illiterate?

What can you do that is a funny parody when reality out - parodies the parody?

Edit: I'm not trying to drag politics into this thread: my answer to the first post is 'all those episodes where they had the 'worst possible leader of the free world' look hopelessly naive now'

spog has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Aug 1, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4yuz8qgj4

spog posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how do you mock someone who paints his face orange, has a reverse mullet, can't complete a coherent sentence and is quite possibly illiterate?

What can you do that is a funny parody when reality out - parodies the parody?

Edit: I'm not trying to drag politics into this thread: my answer to the first post is 'all those episodes where they had the 'worst possible leader of the free world' look hopelessly naive now'

They could always just make poo poo up about them, like how they gave Al Gore a speech impediment he doesn't actually have and had the story be that he was just faking everything for attention after he didn't get to be president. Or when they said that anti-smoking people actively lied about tobacco companies marketing to kids in the name of pushing their crusade on the public. They're pretty good at coming up with ways to make fun of people when they actually disagree with them, at least.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

I still wish that episode "you're getting old" was the series finale. It would have been a complete surprise and absolutely the best creative end possible.

I know they didn't because even if they personally have enough money to coast the rest of their lives, the cottage industry around the show is hundreds of people's livelihood and that's valid, but it was still creative dishonesty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

The best parts of Community is when the turn the meta tap all the way on and you get stuff like "Subway" being a character. The worst part is when they try and do anything romantic. It's such a mess of a show, I can't help imagine what it'd be like if the cast and crew didn't cycle out like they do.

That being said, we got Childish Gambino, Rick & Morty and a lot of Dan Harmon metldowns so maybe it's all for the best.

I agree, the best episodes of Community is when they go gently caress it and now they're in a KFC rocket ship.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every joke about Trump is already being done by 50 people before you, on Twitter and in real life. I don't blame them for not wanting to get in on that. Though, as said, it's probably also that they're too lazy to put the research work in to come up with something new about him that isn't in the mainstream (anymore). Like that thing about how he spent some time pretending to be his own publicist over the phone to reporters. And then had to admit in court he did it. And then later denying he ever did that.

There's this SP episode where Stan gets depressed and starts seeing everyone as having sharting assholes for mouths and it's such a downer, it feels like you're just watching Matt and Trey cry out "we don't wanna do this anymore HELP US"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I still wish that episode "you're getting old" was the series finale. It would have been a complete surprise and absolutely the best creative end possible.

I know they didn't because even if they personally have enough money to coast the rest of their lives, the cottage industry around the show is hundreds of people's livelihood and that's valid, but it was still creative dishonesty.

God, that would have been amazing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1wCw6AlyQ

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pick posted:

I agree, the best episodes of Community is when they go gently caress it and now they're in a KFC rocket ship.

I watched that episode about the same time Rick & Morty was announced and thought, yes, this is a good move as clearly Dan Harmon has no interest in reality of any sort. His podcast is also insane at times, he just gets so, so drunk and gives diatribes before playing D&D with his adopted man-son/assistant.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This thread makes me want to write an extreme amount of words about Community and I am actively resisting temptation.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It's been an age since I last watched South Park but is this the two-parter where Stan starts hearing all pop music as farts and the episode ends with a sad song and him facing turning the ripe old age of 13? Paralleled with his father's mid-life crisis?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

letthereberock posted:

Seriously, can anyone who wasn't around in 1991 possibly make sense of this?
https://youtu.be/SXmFYSNbtII

I think if you've seen any lovely commercial you can make sense of this.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
they really went overboard with the meta bits on Community and it's just painful to watch

never seen a show more smug about how smart it is than Community

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

When you're binging Friends and all of a sudden everyone's wearing NYFD gear and you realize: you've just crossed into the post-9-11 episodes. SNL getting Rudy Giuliani to give them the okay to make jokes is... awkward now because we know how much of a piece of poo poo Giuliani is, but he was gold after 9-11. It was a weird time. Any other shows where you can tell it was made right after a national tragedy?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Precambrian posted:

When you're binging Friends and all of a sudden everyone's wearing NYFD gear and you realize: you've just crossed into the post-9-11 episodes. SNL getting Rudy Giuliani to give them the okay to make jokes is... awkward now because we know how much of a piece of poo poo Giuliani is, but he was gold after 9-11. It was a weird time. Any other shows where you can tell it was made right after a national tragedy?

The crew of the Enterprise began fighting the Suliban. The sitcom Spin City took place in the NYC's mayor's office, I think they just hugged a lot.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Precambrian posted:

Forgive me for crossing over to another form of media, but there were a few Marvel comics that brought 9/11 into their stories.

Here's Spiderman getting chewed out for not stopping it from happening:

And here are Marvel villains Magneto, Doc Ock, and even Dr.Doom crying over the disaster:

A cursory glance seems to show that the reception felt it was incredibly ham-handed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The crew of the Enterprise began fighting the Suliban.

Oh God. I never watched much of Enterprise but I never made that connection.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the star trek example is particularly egregious because on deep space 9 the bajorans were totally an analog to the mujahideen and they were the good guys

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FutureCop posted:

And here are Marvel villains Magneto, Doc Ock, and even Dr.Doom crying over the disaster:

A cursory glance seems to show that the reception felt it was incredibly ham-handed.
I think they ultimately retconned that into being a Doombot and not actual Dr. Doom because they were like "yeah, there's no way the supervillain cries about that". Or something equally second-level dumb.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

On the subject of The Simpsons and computers, this joke from the Hank Scorpio episode:

Wait, what joke? Why, that an elementary school could be so fancy as to have its own website!

Precambrian posted:

24's series premiere, which aired in November 2001, featured a 747 being blown up by a terrorist. The only change actually made as a result of 9/11 was cutting out the onscreen explosion and having it happen just off-camera.

And not so much aging poorly as prescient, but Season 2 was about stopping a war in the Middle East being pushed by figures in the US government using false intelligence about the presence of WMDs. It began five months before the Iraq War did.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think they ultimately retconned that into being a Doombot and not actual Dr. Doom because they were like "yeah, there's no way the supervillain cries about that". Or something equally second-level dumb.

You can see the Juggernaut in that scene from the 9/11 comic, being upset about the World Trade Center. The same World Trade Center he destroyed in 1991: http://m-v-b.tumblr.com/post/83532479282/that-time-the-juggernaut-destroyed-the-world-trade

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Wouldn't you be upset if someone plagiarized your work?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lord Hydronium posted:

24's series premiere, which aired in November 2001, featured a 747 being blown up by a terrorist. The only change actually made as a result of 9/11 was cutting out the onscreen explosion and having it happen just off-camera.
MGS2 came out in 2001 as well. They had to cut parts of the scene where Arsenal Gear crashes into NYC and one of the shots of ruined Federal Hall afterwards.

And there's this great Snopes page about The Coup's cover art that had an exploding WTC in the background, done in June 2001 and scheduled for release in November:

quote:

I came up with the idea with the photographer. We took the pictures on May 15, and we were done with it by the beginning of June. Any similarities are totally coincidental, and it was originally supposed to be more of a metaphor for destroying capitalism — where the music is making capitalist towers blow up. The politics of the Coup have more to do with the people organizing each other.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I know there are Law and Order episodes that didn't age well but I can't think of any specific ones at the moment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaunab posted:

I know there are Law and Order episodes that didn't age well but I can't think of any specific ones at the moment.

I'd say the Gamergate one, but I don't think was ever well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fruit on the bottom posted:

I'd say the Gamergate one, but I don't think was ever well

The supercut I watched that added random effects to the episode and ended with "terrorists win!" was amazing and well worth it. Episodes of shows that approach technology from an out of date perspective are amazing cringe comedy at times. Other times, you get Simpsons parodying Pokemon Go like it's 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

There's an episode of the original L&O that aired in like the first season that was about AIDS and so now when its on they put a disclaimer at the end saying the info is out of date. Mainly because it was done before before there were effective anti-AIDS drugs so the characters treat it like an almost instant death sentence.