Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Here a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkkA6jvk-yQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harold Krell posted:

:lol: if you think one guy in an entire corporation has the sole power to layout a channel's schedule to whatever they want.

Also enjoy a modest chuckle at the idea of anyone actually watching live broadcast TV, much less caring about it's schedule when they can just pull up the app and watch everything whenever they want.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
TV itself survives on the inertia that most people still have some sort of television in their home and that it can perform other things besides broadcasting cable. But technology often is adopted easier by children and what's easiest for kids and parents these days is to just let them look a phone or tablet while they buy groceries or visit a friend's house or whatever. The age of society giving a poo poo about TV is already dead and is only kept alive by people searching for something to watch on a Saturday, movie channels or sports. Kids can watch cartoons whenever they drat well want now, ain't no need for an active CN, Nick or Disney Channel.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Popularity be damned, if you're only putting one thing on in a whole week outside of a stunt then you're not doing a very good job as head of scheduling.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since the Simpsons Quote thread is probably a bad place to ask this, but is the current sale on seasons the permanent price on iTunes or just a sale that ends soon? Same deal with Futurama.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I would have no problems with TV scheduling being lovely if release on digital platforms wasn't following the original schedule. That's why I'm still waiting for Be Cool Scooby-Doo to appear in entirety on iTunes. At least for CN. Disney's schedules are arcane, but I feel that everything will arrive eventually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm always a bit taken aback when CN airs a season 1 Gumball or TTG episode and I'm reminded of just how conventional these shows started out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

Popularity be damned, if you're only putting one thing on in a whole week outside of a stunt then you're not doing a very good job as head of scheduling.

No they aren't, but I assume that because this has gone on almost for a whole year right now, that they just won't care. CN, from Christina Miller on down, is going through its dark time, worse than CN real, in that it doesn't think it needs to try to do anything except utilize Adult Swim and abandon CN and Boomerang for streaming apps. Its basically a 4-5 show channel in which Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10 have failed as reboots. Alien Force didn't even get this close to likely cancellation as Ben 10 2017 is and it is probably going to hopefully get replaced by OK-KO to keep the 4-5 shows a week format rolling.

Disney XD has anime blocks now, has live Twitch showings, has at least 10 different shows maybe a week and has several different properties going forward. Nick is at least digging out older legacy shows to get them back into new audiences with a movie and who knows what else. But CN, CN isn't even regularly showing Steven Universe these days. They are actively letting their TV network die because who cares.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like Ben 10 is going to stick around solely due to overseas popularity.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Even the new one?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

The first issue of Turf Wars (the Korra graphic novel) is apparently out, has anyone had a chance to look at it yet? And if so, how is it?

Ed: Read it myself, it basically confirms that Korra, Asami and Kya are gay and that's pretty much what the entire issue is about.

Larryb posted:

Well the writers have already said as much in interviews (plus there was the whole thing with Korra's ending) but this is the first time it's actually been confirmed in-series. But yeah, making it almost the whole focus of the issue still kind of feels like pandering.

The main plot of the comic seems to be about rising tensions between humans and spirits but it's not touched on much here (have they said how many issues Turf Wars is going to run for yet?). Hopefully things will pick up though.

Still nice to get something Avatar related again even if there's little to no hope of us getting another TV series anytime soon (especially considering how much of a nightmare Korra's production ended up being).

I'm just going off rumors I heard about in some leaks two weeks back, but isn't there also some stuff in there talking about Avatar Kyoshi's sexuality and how Fire Lord Sozin outlawed homosexuality around the time he started the Hundred Years War? I also recall something about Zhu Li, of all people, challenging Raiko for the presidency of the United Republic in a later volume; does anything about that come up in what you've read?

As for the length of the story, I think they're gonna stick with the model they used for the AtLA comics and have each storyline broken into three books that are released over several months. I don't really give a drat about the spirits, Republic City or Korrasami, but I am a bit curious about future storylines. Something dealing with the Fire Nation is an inevitability, given how that was the only nation that was never revisited in LoK. The only thing I really want to see is a continuation of Earth Kingdom/Kuvira/Beifong family storyline, but after how poorly Bryke handled it in the actual show I don't really trust them to make anything better in the comics.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 30, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Even the new one?

Probably. I know for a fact that South Africa loving loves Ben 10.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

I'm just going off rumors I heard about in some leaks two weeks back, but isn't there also some stuff in there talking about Avatar Kyoshi's sexuality and how Fire Lord Sozin outlawed homosexuality around the time he started the Hundred Years War? I also recall something about Zhu Li, of all people, challenging Raiko for the presidency of the United Republic in a later volume; does anything about that come up in what you've read?

As for the length of the story, I think they're gonna stick with the model they used for the AtLA comics and have each storyline broken into three books that are released over several months. I don't really give a drat about the spirits, Republic City or Korrasami, but I am a bit curious about future storylines. Something dealing with the Fire Nation is an inevitability, given how that was the only nation that was never revisited in LoK. The only thing I really want to see is a continuation of Earth Kingdom/Kuvira/Beifong family storyline, but after how poorly Bryke handled it in the actual show I don't really trust them to make anything better in the comics.

Here's a complete summary of the first issue for anyone who cares:

It starts out immediately after the end of the series. Korra and Asami are in the spirit world until an upset spirit tells them to leave. Spirits are not happy about the open spirit portals.

They then go to tell Korra's parents about their relationship. Korra gets upset when her dad says they should keep their relationship private

They arrive back in Republic City via Spirit Portal to see the Air Benders getting in a fight with the guy that owns the land. He's trying to turn it into an amusement park.

Kya tells Korra and Asami that she is gay as well. Aang was extremely supportive. Air Nomads didn't care about orientation. Neither did the Fire Nation until Fire Lord Ozai. Earth Kingdom was the only one intolerant.

Bolin is now a cop and Mako's temporary partner. Korra and Asami were about to tell them when Jinora shows up asking for help. They're being attacked at the spirit portal.

The leader of the Triple Triad is attacking the spirit portal. A spirit gets upset and attacks the leader. Korra has a choice between stopping the spirit and saving Asami from being attacked. She chooses Asami and the spirit disfigures the leader of the Triple Triad.

Korra and Asami kiss in front of Bolin, Mako and Jinora.

So yeah, not a whole lot to start with but hopefully future issues will be a bit meatier in terms of plot.

I personally liked Korra's final season though I agree it could have been better handled (Grumpy Yoda Toph was fun though and she probably got the biggest role in the series out of all the returning ATLA cast members). Though the original series had its mishaps too (like how Mai and Ty Lee just disappear from the story entirely after betraying Azula, only resurfacing during the epilogue portion of the final episode).

Hell, as bad as season 2 was I'll at least give it credit for introducing some of my favorite characters in the series (Varrick, Bumi II, Desna & Eska and. to a somewhat lesser extent, Kya), the Avatar Wan story wasn't too bad either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 31, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I keep seeing Sonic Boom clips being shared on Twitter and Facebook and every one of them I clicked was hilarious. Is this a show I should be watching?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Argue posted:

I keep seeing Sonic Boom clips being shared on Twitter and Facebook and every one of them I clicked was hilarious. Is this a show I should be watching?

from what I've seen they're cherry picking the best parts but yeah it's still worth watching (especially newer eps)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Argue posted:

It's hit-or-miss, but it's hit far more often than, say, TTG.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's pretty much a few good moments placed around opposite ends of really typical ones. It's like the Garfield show with occasional moments of brilliance as opposed to absolutely no moments of brilliance..

Also it has a very painful portrayal of Knuckles.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Eggman's the best character (as usual), knuckles is 2nd best as long as he's not the focus

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Knuckles is them constantly grabbing low hanging fruit.

But keep in mind I'm coming at the perspective of someone who was treated like a "dumb kid" and got poo poo for never knowing what was going on or having trouble reading, so when the show goes into that territory I don't really feel very enthused about it.

He's always been thick, but that was more in the way of gullible and bullheaded than "doesn't know how to read, can't tell left from right, and constantly spews non sequiturs"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I know how this will sound but is TTG even doing numbers anymore or is just that cheap to produce against what they get in advertising?

Argue posted:

It's good for a laugh.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 31, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is it true that Knux said the f-word?

feminist

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Is it true that Knux said the f-word?

feminist

Yes, it wasn't a big deal

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know how this will sound but is TTG even doing numbers anymore or is just that cheap to produce against what they get in advertising?

It's good for a laugh.

Kids still watch it and could easily burn out from it, but CN is giving it the Sponge Bob treatment in that all other shows are subservient to it. Much like how the likes of Avatar got suffocated to allot more Yellow Square time, CN seems to be going WHOLE DAYS now of just nothing but TTGO. Ratings don't matter when all you can watch is TTGO or adult swim's variety.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pakled posted:

Or replace it with Teen Titans Go and youve got Cartoon Network.

Good god...

Okay, NOW can we all agree that oversaturating a show is a bad thing?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Kids still watch it and could easily burn out from it, but CN is giving it the Sponge Bob treatment in that all other shows are subservient to it. Much like how the likes of Avatar got suffocated to allot more Yellow Square time, CN seems to be going WHOLE DAYS now of just nothing but TTGO. Ratings don't matter when all you can watch is TTGO or adult swim's variety.

You're going to have to walk me through that. How does that work in terms of profits?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

You're going to have to walk me through that. How does that work in terms of profits?

More TTGO = more money

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Good god...

I don't think that was ever in question. People argued about whether [insert show being overplayed] was good or not, but I think everybody agrees playing the poo poo out of one show is bad.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Good god...

CN has become that first-time stock buyer that has figured out you just get the one highest-performing offering they can find and converting everything to buy more of it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I mentioned it in the TTG thread, but my 6 year-old niece and 8 year-old nephew have been complaining as recently as yesterday that they're sick of TTG. More specifically, my nephew complains that they're only playing the same like, 40 episodes. It was their favorite show at the beginning of the year. So if they're anything to go by, this isn't going great for the target demographic either.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

More TTGO = more money

Right, yes, how stupid of me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

TTGO = We don't have to show or pay for anything else. As I said, its them repeating Nickelodeon in thinking all they need is Sponge Bob, and that loving tanked them hard for YEARS. This isn't them gaining profits, this is them cost cutting by severing off all of their limbs.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 31, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/TheJohnDiMaggio/status/892163022642331648
Its amazing how as I've gotten older that I've learned the impact that Romano had on basically every kids cartoon I watched

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The real conundrum is that Cartoon Network actually has plenty of good shows that they could be showing, like Steven Universe, OK KO, Adventure Time, Amazing World of Gumball, or Clarence, and those are just the active shows that they're still putting out. They were founded as a channel for rerunning classic cartoons, and there's no reason they can't go and do that again. It's pretty common to not have new shows over the summer anyways.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mostly remember the episode where Timon and Pumbaa work at a drive-thru. And apparently there's another one where they're in Ancient Greece.

The Ancient Greece one strikes me as rooted in a really bad pun.

e: also Sonic Boom isn't amazing but Knuckles and Sticks both loving own and it's probably the best portrayal of Eggman in any Sonic thing ever

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Ancient Greece one strikes me as rooted in a really bad pun.

e: also Sonic Boom isn't amazing but Knuckles and Sticks both loving own and it's probably the best portrayal of Eggman in any Sonic thing ever

It's pretty telling that the guy who plays Eggman is the one voice actor that has remained constant across shows and games over 15 years. Mike Pollock is just perfect and Sonic Boom having him be the Newman to Sonic's Seinfeld works so well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Mann posted:

It's pretty telling that the guy who plays Eggman is the one voice actor that has remained constant across shows and games over 15 years. Mike Pollock is just perfect and Sonic Boom having him be the Newman to Sonic's Seinfeld works so well.

Notable that they have an episode where Sonic and Eggman switch bodies, and they don't switch the voices to indicate it like they usually do in cartoons; their mannerisms and language change to be great impressions of each other.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pakled posted:

Or replace it with Teen Titans Go and youve got Cartoon Network.

Could be worse, could be another carpetbombing of the same 5 Cloudy episodes (which they predictably gave up on almost immediately).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is definitely a network that's devolved into 'placeholder' mode. Apparently, even the kids have lost interest because it's always the same 40 episodes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've also been bleeding shows dry lately. Regular Show ended, Adventure Time, Clarence, and Uncle Grandpa ended production, and it feels like they've given up on Powerpuff Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Powerpuff Girls revival crashed and burned really hard, I doubt it's going to be renewed when the contract's up.