Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The only thing preventing me from maining heavy splatling is that the stingray is my absolute least-favorite super.
Any tips on making that thing a fraction as useful as missles, storm, armor or bombrush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Gorp posted:

The only thing preventing me from maining heavy splatling is that the stingray is my absolute least-favorite super.
Any tips on making that thing a fraction as useful as missles, storm, armor or bombrush?

I keep wanting to say that it can chase squids out of a small area, but christ the missiles do a much better job.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Gorp posted:

Well, you don't have to be shooting the entire time. And it's better to stop firing if you need to make a massive adjustment to your aim. And you can use it to pressure an area. That's about all I've got. Honestly, it's the worst special in the game.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's bizzare how bad the Stingray is, especially when the Salmonid boss that uses it can aim on a dime whereas you have no ability to do so. The turn speed needs to come way up before it gets any better.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Deleter posted:

It's bizzare how bad the Stingray is, especially when the Salmonid boss that uses it can aim on a dime whereas you have no ability to do so. The turn speed needs to come way up before it gets any better.

I think they overbalanced it around Tower Control. It's the only explanation I can come up with.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't really care for the Inkjet at all on my boy Octobrush but man I'd have to think long and hard about maining it if its super was the Sting Ray.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think they overbalanced it around Tower Control. It's the only explanation I can come up with.

Yeah, that'd make sense. Being blown up on the tower constantly wouldn't be great. Kind of doesn't excuse how bad it is right now though.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I was making fun of Krakhan for the popping meal tickets and going on a losing streak but here I am now.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
While bad losing streaks and bad luck happen, I agree with what folks said about the ranking system placing you at your skill level. I was getting flattened a few days ago but if I get knocked down to B+ I can triple/quadkill or rush the rainmaker by myself back to the A bracket now

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I would be really happy if Tenta Missiles got nerfed. That special is being used way too often for how powerful it is. It honestly wouldn't be out of place in Splatoon 1.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Store appearance in hub, left to right: Clothes, shoes, headgear, weapons
Store order in menu, top to bottom: Weapons, headgear, clothes, shoes
Store jump sequence instore (L/R): Clothes, headgear, weapons, shoes

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 1, 2017

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I legitimately think more people would use the heavy splatling if there was a version that had any other super.
Anything with the inkjet equipped is an inferior version of that weapon set.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

I would be really happy if Tenta Missiles got nerfed. That special is being used way too often for how powerful it is. It honestly wouldn't be out of place in Splatoon 1.

Its more that it's just really common as a Super.

Personally I want more weapons with Splashdown.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tenta Missiles are super easy to avoid 99% of the time

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
This may be out of place because I stopped playing splatoon after 3-4 months, but it's relevant to this discussion.
All the new supers are basically powered down versions of old ones (Kraken -> Baller , Inkstrike -> Missles, etc.) and Inket is the equivelant of Killer Wail.

Was Killer Wail even that good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Killer Wail could be drat nasty when used right.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, by design. The missiles aren't meant to kill, they're meant to make you abandon your position, or bail on defense, or make you cancel a push. And if multiple enemies have them, you can spend a long time dodging them instead of focusing on objectives.

Oh, and here's my Tenta Missle tip: If you get targeted and aren't near any enemies, just walk away. Don't swim, just walk. You'll reduce the missie's AoE and have to spend less time getting back to where you were.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I used to think they were balanced because if you get attacked by one and see it coming its easy to miss. But... its not so simple. I do think its slightly OP in some situations now.

Escobarbarian posted:

In turf war absolutely, maybe even 100%. But in things like Rainmaker and Tower control tenta missiles suddenly become extremely good. Especially if they wait and 2 people pop them at the same time, it can be devastating. Maybe not even kill you but surround you with so much enemy ink that you're a sitting duck trying to paint yourself some ground to stand in.

Course the baller seems pretty crazy good for tower control too.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

For the rock 'n' roll lifestyle, go with Rockenberg. Do kids still listen to rock music? Well, whatever.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pretty sure I've splatted that kid with the purple hair many times.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lol do boy squids really have a pompadour option?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Yup. I stayed true to who I am and chose the topknot instead.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
The sooner I can 3star my sunglasses the better.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BattleMaster posted:

From what I've seen online, it seems like a popular choice. So much so that I went back to the topknot just to differentiate myself from the posers.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I keep reading people mention that there's a way to tell if a salmon run wave is going to be high tide/low tide. I've never noticed anything during the countdown or before the water level changes, so what is the indication exactly?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rexroom posted:

For the rock 'n' roll lifestyle, go with Rockenberg. Do kids still listen to rock music? Well, whatever.

I have those black docs and they are my favourite shoes in the whole game. The main ability sucks though :(

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

If it's as bad as ARMS' volleyball then no thank you

I'm with you there. That is some unfun poo poo.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Frankston posted:

I have those black docs and they are my favourite shoes in the whole game. The main ability sucks though :(

Hoping they pop up on SplatNet with literally anything besides Cold Blooded

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I still prefer inkbrush to octobrush

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

yergacheffe posted:

I keep reading people mention that there's a way to tell if a salmon run wave is going to be high tide/low tide. I've never noticed anything during the countdown or before the water level changes, so what is the indication exactly?

At the start of the round at the bottom part of the screen is a tinted wave-like overlay
If it is below the text, it is low tide, if it's way above the text (almost halfway up) it is high tide - in the middle is normal

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

yergacheffe posted:

You have a transparent wave animation as part of the wave-starting HUD along the bottom of the screen. Covering up to half the screen means high-tide, floating around the bottom of the screen means low-tide.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What is the "Power Level" or whatever at the bottom of the screen before Ranked Battles?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Deleter posted:

I don't know if it's been in a patch yet, but they did say they were going to improve the Stingray's ability to aim while firing and little while ago. I forget where I saw that though...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mahoning posted:

What is the "Power Level" or whatever at the bottom of the screen before Ranked Battles?

An estimated ELO, but I don't know of what because it says the 8 man Power Level. In league mode it just shows you the level of the other team before it starts but the ranked mode number is kinda nebulous

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I heard the queue for S ranks is really long because there's not many people that high yet, maybe I should be glad I can't get past A

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you have an equipment loadout that has 2 Main Ink Savers (Sub) and 1 sub version, you can throw 3 Burst Bombs at once instead of 2. It's absolutely disgusting. :getin:

Lakbay posted:

I heard the queue for S ranks is really long because there's not many people that high yet, maybe I should be glad I can't get past A

Yeah, it's noticeably longer than the sub-S rank queue times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you have an equipment loadout that has 2 Main Ink Savers (Sub) and 1 sub version, you can throw 3 Burst Bombs at once instead of 2. It's absolutely disgusting. :getin:

drat I want triple Burst bombs

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can you have more than one crusty shawn ticket active at a time?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Frankston posted:

Can you have more than one crusty shawn ticket active at a time?

No.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Almost def not worth what you'd be giving up for it though. Outside of Tower I have no idea when you'd want 3, and then you'd be out of commission for a while from actual shooting. Plus the damned pin blocks shots half the time - can't count how many splashdowns have been ruined by object interference.

Dr. Fetus posted:

At this point i'm just skipping any blocks that I'm S on until they're all S. Long queues are better than bad matches, and every day more players carry themselves out of the poo poo heap.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lakbay posted:

What's a queue time?