Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Good luck, I've been using a freshroast SR 500 for the past little while and nothing has come out of it tasting very good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Second crack is pretty quiet and very hard to hear or record with most roasting equipment, but if you were going five minutes after first crack you probably hit it unless you really backed off the heat *a lot*.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Colonel Taint posted:

Ah cool. I tried again after reading the responses here and I'll see how it looks tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if I actually made it to second crack because I couldn't find any good examples online of the sound of it. I *think* I did. I definitely heard a few beans cracking maybe five minutes after the first crack simmered down. I was also getting a bit of a sizzling kind of sound in there towards when I stopped.

You really have to learn how to finesse it when you hit 2nd crack because the beans are real hot, oil is exuding out and you're a :discourse: away from burning the lot if you wait too long to cool down.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tippecanoe posted:

Good luck, I've been using a freshroast SR 500 for the past little while and nothing has come out of it tasting very good :(

Really? I used one for several years and I had good results almost every time.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

rockcity posted:

Really? I used one for several years and I had good results almost every time.

Yeah, I might buy a thermoprobe to get in and see what's going on. I've been taking a long time to get to first crack, and I suspect that it's heating up after that, or cooling too quickly, because my batches have ranged from "barely palatable" to "undrinkable". Lots of weird, grassy flavours.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tippecanoe posted:

Yeah, I might buy a thermoprobe to get in and see what's going on. I've been taking a long time to get to first crack, and I suspect that it's heating up after that, or cooling too quickly, because my batches have ranged from "barely palatable" to "undrinkable". Lots of weird, grassy flavours.

What is your process like and how much coffee are you roasting at a time?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

rockcity posted:

What is your process like and how much coffee are you roasting at a time?

I'm generally doing between 100g and 120g of green coffee at a time.

My process as of late is: turn heat and fan to max, occasionally tilting the machine to help move the beans around and circulate heat. I lower the speed of the fan when I notice the beans starting to turn dark, and again when I start to hear first crack. I let it run until I'm satisfied with the colour (I've been trying to roast a little darker because at first I didn't think I was hitting first crack). Then, move the beans to a metal colander for cooling. I generally wait at least 24 hours before trying the coffee.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tippecanoe posted:

I'm generally doing between 100g and 120g of green coffee at a time.

My process as of late is: turn heat and fan to max, occasionally tilting the machine to help move the beans around and circulate heat. I lower the speed of the fan when I notice the beans starting to turn dark, and again when I start to hear first crack. I let it run until I'm satisfied with the colour (I've been trying to roast a little darker because at first I didn't think I was hitting first crack). Then, move the beans to a metal colander for cooling. I generally wait at least 24 hours before trying the coffee.

Try starting with it on low and let the beans go for a minute. Then hit the cool button and let that go for 30 seconds. Them turn the heat to medium and roast as normal. I leave the fan about 75% power. I almost never use the high heat. You might be unevenly roasting the beans internally which would definitely leave grassy notes in the coffee. Also, I always did my beans by volume rather than weight. I used about 1/3 of a cup.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I wish there was an in-between method for roasting instead of going from heat gun/dog bowl to a $400 Behmor (or more). I like to do about 1/2 pound at a time, and I'd like to find something a little less labor intensive (the stirring kills my arthritic wrists). Thought about trying the whirly pop, but then I'd be standing in the sun next to a burner or the grill when it's 100 degrees outside :cry:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
There was a video a while back in the thread of a guy who took the heat gun method a step further by adding a flour sifter and a cordless drill to make his own automated roaster setup. Seemed a little bit involved but not impossible. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: This is the same video someone posted before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivLKX9L6Rk
There's also some similar builds and ideas on Sweet Maria's, and there's also this build I found elsewhere. But if the stirring is giving you a problem, it definitely looks like it's not unreasonable to make some kind of mechanism to do that for you.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 1, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like I lost my tiny kettle lid for my bonavita. It has an msrp of 5 bucks, but I can only find it for prices approaching $20. Am I stuck?

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
I only pull a few shots during the weekend, so I didn't want a machine that would be expensive and take up space. After the Mypressi Twist went away, I've read all the disappointing reviews of devices like the Rok and Handpresso, and I was impressed with the reviews the Flair was getting. So I ended up getting the Flair espresso maker last week, and I'm really liking it.

https://www.amazon.com/Flair-Espresso-Maker-Manual-Press/dp/B06X916JM8

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
A friend of mine got on the news in his small town for hacking a breadmachine to stir the beans with the dough paddle while he heat-gunned it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the best way to ease down my caffeine consumption? I'm basically ending up real dehydrated cause I drink so much coffee. I'm barely keeping it in check by guzzling tonnes of water too, but it's a chore. If I stop drinking coffee I get a mega-migraine and it's not very pleasant. I also want to lower my consumption so I'm not 100% a zombie upon waking up.

Any advice? Or is it as simple as "instead of putting a teaspoon of coffee in, put 3/4, then 1/2, then 1/4 over a week"?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Q8ee posted:

What's the best way to ease down my caffeine consumption? I'm basically ending up real dehydrated cause I drink so much coffee. I'm barely keeping it in check by guzzling tonnes of water too, but it's a chore. If I stop drinking coffee I get a mega-migraine and it's not very pleasant. I also want to lower my consumption so I'm not 100% a zombie upon waking up.

Any advice? Or is it as simple as "instead of putting a teaspoon of coffee in, put 3/4, then 1/2, then 1/4 over a week"?

Just stop drinking coffee for a couple days and stay hydrated. The headaches shouldn't last longer than a couple days. Cutting your consumption would just prolong your withdrawal symptoms.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

There Bias Two posted:

Just stop drinking coffee for a couple days and stay hydrated. The headaches shouldn't last longer than a couple days. Cutting your consumption would just prolong your withdrawal symptoms.
I agree and I'd also like to add that coffee headaches respond really well to ibuprofen in my experience.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Corla Plankun posted:

I agree and I'd also like to add that coffee headaches respond really well to ibuprofen in my experience.

Excedrin is my preference. It has some caffeine in it. Helps you down a little more gently.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I would rather suck a tailpipe than quit coffee cold turkey again, oh my god. It was miserable. If you're determined to taper down, just taper off slowly and save yourself the withdrawal.

TheDarkFlame posted:

There was a video a while back in the thread of a guy who took the heat gun method a step further by adding a flour sifter and a cordless drill to make his own automated roaster setup. Seemed a little bit involved but not impossible. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: This is the same video someone posted before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivLKX9L6Rk
There's also some similar builds and ideas on Sweet Maria's, and there's also this build I found elsewhere. But if the stirring is giving you a problem, it definitely looks like it's not unreasonable to make some kind of mechanism to do that for you.

Oh, I think I've seen that one from this thread before and forgot about it. Or maybe it was with a drill. Thanks for the links, I'll have to see if I can cobble something together.

DuK2gO
Mar 6, 2007
kek
Hey dudes, ended up getting a vertical vent popper without realizing it for my birthday and ended up rigging it up for my first ever roast. Seems to get a pretty even roast but after a couple of test batches it seems that I can't greater than about 40g in there without a... wind wall of beans being created, stopping any sort of mixing action without having to use a stick to stir it about.

Here's what my setup looks like:

Here it is in action, doing an ethiopian from sweet maria's:

The sweet zester redirects beans back down instead of letting them fly everywhere making my batches even smaller. The 'smores stick is put through the handle and bent into one of the gaps in my patio table to keep it in place. I ended up losing a good 20-25% of the roast to experimenting with batch sizes and trying to figure out the best way to keep them in the popper.

Going for about 2:15 (2:30 from a cold popper) got me this:

sweet maria's posted:

Incredible brewed, flavors of cherry, clove spice, sugarcane juice, marzipan, and a tart-sweet lemonade brightness highlight this Burundi cup. Such a refined cup

I tend to drink larger cups and don't like how African coffees get real sour toward the end of my cup so I went a little darker on my 2nd go around.Ended up dropping the 2nd mason jar and lost a couple pots worth to the dirt. I tried scraping up as much as i could.

My 2nd, tad darker roast on the left. A little bit too bitter in some cups but pretty good. I'm pleased with how it went. Takes maybe an hour or so to do a pound of coffee. I'm about to go out back and try to do a full city on some stuff from El Salvador.

Bonus chaffe pom and my ribs in the electric smoker that I had going during the roast.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm surprised that people are apparently getting massive headaches from quitting coffee.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

There Bias Two posted:

I'm surprised that people are apparently getting massive headaches from quitting coffee.

I usually only drink one or two caffeinated drinks a day and I get a little bit of a headache by mid-morning if I skip morning coffee.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Just bought some 'continental roast' beans that smelled like charcoal rather than coffee from the grinder, and taste like a literal ashtray as espresso. Is there a practical use for burnt to poo poo beans before they go in the bin?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kemikalkadet posted:

Just bought some 'continental roast' beans that smelled like charcoal rather than coffee from the grinder, and taste like a literal ashtray as espresso. Is there a practical use for burnt to poo poo beans before they go in the bin?

Sell them saying you got them from Starbucks?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

I tried quitting about 15 years ago and had a huge non-stop headache for a solid week. And the rage, my god, the rage...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a mysterious cloak posted:

I tried quitting about 15 years ago and had a huge non-stop headache for a solid week. And the rage, my god, the rage...

So you resembled your avatar?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I quit a couple years ago suspecting my coffee had something to do with some eczema issues I was having. Transitioned to some morning tea Amazon carries with no real withdrawal issues. When I realized the coffee wasn't the culprit, that first morning brew back was the most heavenliest, the bigliest coffee. The best.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I drink 3-4 cups a day but some days I take no coffee and have no symptoms, :shrug:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There Bias Two posted:

It was actually added to the DSM-5 as a disorder:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/31/caffeine-withdrawal-is-now-a-mental-disorder/

I coffee it up at work pretty good, but often don't bother on weekends. I'm not sure if withdrawal takes more than 2 days to kick in, or if my system just isn't that habituated.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I had to quit for a few weeks a little while back because of a stomach ulcer, and it was the worst. Headaches weren't too bad, but I was snappy as hell.

In happier news, just started messing about with cold brew, what's the optimal steep time, or will that depend on concentration/roast etc?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

As with hot brewing, it depends on the solubility, grind, and brewing method(immersion vs iced tower) of the particular coffee one uses.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

iospace posted:

So you resembled your avatar?

Possibly... It's all a little hazy.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

kemikalkadet posted:

Cold brew or milk drinks are your best bets. Or coldbrewed milk drinks. Or compost.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

going hiking today, putting an iced coffee in a thermos to reward future me when I'm sweating like a pig and want to cool down

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I need some Silvia help. I cleaned the brew head today (pulled the screen and brass puck, scrubbed it all down etc) as I do every couple of months. I put it back together, plugged it in and was getting ready to backflush and when I flipped the main power switch it tripped the GFI outlet. I did nothing to the wiring. I have popped the top and looked for shorts or wetness and saw nothing. I think its the heating element because I I unplug the black wire (pictured) it doest trip the GFI and I can run the pump. I’m going to let it sit tonight. If any of you with advice or insight I’d love to hear it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I showed it to the head tech here and he doesn't see anything too crazy. He suggested running a multimeter on the heating element, if it's not responsive then that means it burned out, but I'm not sure if that would cause a trip. He also suggested double checking every wire against a wiring diagram just to make sure nothing got switched around. I'm did a quick search to link you one but I'm having a heck of a time finding one that matches yours, instead I can only find ones that are demonstrations of how to wire up an external PID, so watch out for that if you go looking.

Is yours a V5? The closest I could find was this one at 1st Line, but the element caps look to be set up differently:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I *think it’s a v2 - about 9 years old. I didn’t do anything with the wiring just standard brew head maintenance. I tip it on itks back for that. Is that the heating element that the black wire is normally connected too? Thanks.

Oh also, if I unplug the brown wire and leave the black plugged in it also trips.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not at the shop any more but it's probably a V3. The V2 boiler had a kind of hump on that they changed out for a flat one around 2007; it's definitely not newer than 2013 though because that boiler has the clustered element connection points like in the picture I posted.

EDIT-I bet when Bizwank sees this he'll have some kind of silver bullet solution for you, he's a real tech unlike dilettante me.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 6, 2017

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The version doesn't matter, the wiring is the same on all of them (and yours is correct). The only thing that I've ever seen trip a GFCI on one of these is a cracked/ruptured heating element; that's most commonly caused excessive scale buildup and/or improper use (repeatedly running the boiler empty). Cleaning the grouphead alone couldn't cause this, but tipping the machine over may have let some water run to an exposed electrical connector; if that's the case letting it sit and dry out for a day should resolve the issue. Also check the wires running down to the pump at the point they pass through the frame and make sure they haven't been damaged; they can occasionally be rubbed bare from the vibrations of the pump and short to the frame. If none of thsoe things seem to be causing it then you're probably looking at a new boiler/heating element, which is not cheap, but it's cheaper then a new Silvia.

Here's the last Silvia I put a new boiler in; that black stuff is the insulation from inside the heating element, and I had to chip that mass out with a screwdriver. Descaling is important folks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I think its the element. If I leave the black wire disconnected I can run the pump and the brew head. I will further disassemble it tomorrow. I checked, I bought this in January of 2009 from 1st-Line. And it was a refurb. It looks like about $300 to fix so I’m thinking of replacement.

Either another Silvia v5 or a CC1. What do you folks think? The CC1 is very nice looking, has the 3 way valve and a 500cc boiler (but is it brass?). OTOH I love the Silvia, and she is dead simple.

And what do I do with the crippled machine? If I can’t fix it who can? Ugh. Drinking an Aeropress cuppa right now. (Inverted - I am not a barbarian).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Well that new $300 boiler plus a $20 insulation wrap will turn it into a v5, but for $350 less then a new one, so if you like the Silvia it makes sense to fix the one you got. If you're anywhere near Seattle I can do it for you, otherwise Google is your friend, but there aren't a lot of Espresso Machine repair shops out there. You could probably sell it for parts on Ebay as a last resort.

The CC1 has a stainless steel boiler, and the Silvia also has a 3-way valve. Last CC1 I had in the shop ended up getting scrapped because it took so long to get parts that the customer just gave up on waiting for it and bought a Nuova or something instead.