Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tarbrush posted:

Sorry, what!?!

They had a thing with a girl sometime last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ireland-rugby-stars-paddy-jackson-and-stuart-olding-to-be-charged-with-rape-35967270.html

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Aye that's why Paddy didn't make it into the States for the Ireland-NZ game in Chicago, it seemed as if it had went away for a while but there must be enough evidence to prosecute which doesn't bode well for them.

Their legal teams are pushing for as early as hearing as possible so Paddy can get back to playing and Stuart can get back to being injured but I'm not so sure we'll see them anytime soon.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Some bad decisions going on in this game.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Fuuuuck.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
How can two teams both get "thrashed" in the same game, at the same time?

Oh nevermind, The Beaver is here to make it 100-6

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Tyma posted:

How can two teams both get "thrashed" in the same game, at the same time?

Oh nevermind, The Beaver is here to make it 100-6

Don't you dare bad mouth The Beaver.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Don't you dare bad mouth The Beaver.

I mean.. He's getting the job done so far!

Edit : Oh :{

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Well, poo poo.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Not that I couldn't see it coming from pretty early in the game.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

See you in 3 hours for Good Rugby (tm)?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

reac posted:

Not that I couldn't see it coming from pretty early in the game.

Yeah. The ball either sticks for The Chiefs or it doesn't. Tonight it didn't.

Still not happy with some of those calls though.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Tyma posted:

See you in 3 hours for Good Rugby (tm)?

Yeah I'll be staying up (read: napping on the couch until it starts)

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
I thought for the first half that I was going to be supporting the Hurricanes in the final. Not sure what's going to happen now.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

reac posted:

I thought for the first half that I was going to be supporting the Hurricanes in the final. Not sure what's going to happen now.

go for the Lions, if only because of Elton Jantjies' haircut

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Season ended with the Highlanders elimination.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jaco Peyper's riffing the final, after the controversy over his semifinal performance. How hard could it have been to give Angus Gardiner the nod?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pro 12 expansion to 14 has been confirmed. Conference system also in place.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Jaco Peyper's riffing the final, after the controversy over his semifinal performance. How hard could it have been to give Angus Gardiner the nod?

Apparently it's based on the referee ratings throughout the season and peyper was the best ref. Gardiner was downrated after the crusaders v highlanders game. I guess they didn't want to change the system just before the final. Hopefully next year they'll pick an Aussie referee for the final.

Just thinking about it though, there aren't enough Aussies for both semis, so there can't be a neutral ref at that stage...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Apparently it's based on the referee ratings throughout the season and peyper was the best ref. Gardiner was downrated after the crusaders v highlanders game. I guess they didn't want to change the system just before the final. Hopefully next year they'll pick an Aussie referee for the final.

Just thinking about it though, there aren't enough Aussies for both semis, so there can't be a neutral ref at that stage...

The issue is that due to Peyper's nationality, any gently caress-up by him which, in any way shape or form, benefits the South Africans is going to be seen as the natural result of not appointing neutral refs. There have already been some questionable calls that have hurt touring teams over the years in South Africa, and Peyper's second half performance has been the source of some controversy this weekend.

SANZAR should never have put him in a position where every call he makes is going to come under the kind of scrutiny that could potentially affect his judgement and performance.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

We already knew everything down to the conference "draw", so the only bigbigbigbigbigbig news to come out of this is that the South African teams will play all of their home games in South Africa.

No word on where they will play the 3/4 "inter-conference" matches, though.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

The issue is that due to Peyper's nationality, any gently caress-up by him which, in any way shape or form, benefits the South Africans is going to be seen as the natural result of not appointing neutral refs. There have already been some questionable calls that have hurt touring teams over the years in South Africa, and Peyper's second half performance has been the source of some controversy this weekend.

SANZAR should never have put him in a position where every call he makes is going to come under the kind of scrutiny that could potentially affect his judgement and performance.

I completely agree. It's a dumb way of doing it and is unfair to all parties involved. But I can understand them not changing it just before the final. Hopefully they change it for next season. Still have to find two Aussie refs for the semis though.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I think Peyper is a very good ref and tries his darnedest to be neutral. The Barrett call was his only bad onfield decision - he said that he had to stick to the letter of the law, but it was blindingly obvious that the infringement was milked. He tried his best to roll away quickly and cleanly, but had the ball placed between his legs intentionally.

The touch judges and TMO were atrocious, though. Especially one of them running over and proclaiming that he definitely saw grounding, don't go for review - and the replays show that the ball never made it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Time to get into the spirit of the new Pro 14. Conference A supremacy!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I think Peyper is a very good ref and tries his darnedest to be neutral. The Barrett call was his only bad onfield decision - he said that he had to stick to the letter of the law, but it was blindingly obvious that the infringement was milked. He tried his best to roll away quickly and cleanly, but had the ball placed between his legs intentionally.

The touch judges and TMO were atrocious, though. Especially one of them running over and proclaiming that he definitely saw grounding, don't go for review - and the replays show that the ball never made it.

If the Lions win, it's because he was a biased shitref, and if the Crusaders win, he obviously froze out of fear of being perceived as being biased because he's a shitref. He's been put in a situation where he's going to have to put in one of the all-time great performances, like Nigel Owens at Ellis Park in 2013 levels of good, in order to avoid criticism after the fact.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 2, 2017

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I can't even fathom the series of events that led to this :psyduck:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can you still call the NHS and have a person sectioned?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Teams for the SR final:

Lions: 15 Andries Coetzee; 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Courtnall Skosan; 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronjé; 8 Ruan Ackermann, 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Jaco Kriel (captain); 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Jacques van Rooyen. SUBS: Akker van der Merwe, Corné Fourie, Johannes Jonker, Lourens Erasmus, Cyle Brink, Faf de Klerk, Sylvain Mahuza, Rohan Janse van Rensburg.

Crusaders: 15 David Havil;, 14 Israel Dagg, 13 Jack Goodhue, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Seta Tamanivalu; 10 Richie Mo'unga, 9 Bryn Hall; 8 Kieran Read, 7 Matt Godd, 6 Jordan Taufua; 5 Sam Whitelock (captain), 4 Scott Barrett, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Joe Moody. SUBS: Wyatt Crockett, Ben Funnell, Michael Alaalatoa, Luke Romano, Pete Samu, Mitch Drummond, Mitch Hunt, George Bridge.

Basically two full-strength sides (except with Ackermann playing as the 8 for Lions due to Whiteley being hurt, but Ackers is good anyway). Tickets at Ellis Park sold out in 48 hours, and already jokes are going around that you have to respect the Crusaders fans who make the trip as flights from Cape Town aren't cheap.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The All Blacks training squad's been named. The Crusaders weren't considered. Atu Moli, Tom Franklin, Akira Ioane and Richard Buckman are the uncapped players.

Hookers
Dane Coles (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Nathan Harris (Chiefs/Bay of Plenty)

Props
Kane Hames (Chiefs/Tasman)
Nepo Laulala (Chiefs/Counties Manukau)
Atu Moli (Chiefs/Waikato)
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Blues/Auckland)

Locks
Dominic Bird (Chiefs/Canterbury)
Tom Franklin (Highlanders/Otago)
Brodie Retallick (Chiefs/Hawke's Bay)
Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues/Auckland)

Loose forwards
Sam Cane (Chiefs/Bay of Plenty)
Vaea Fifita (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Akira Ioane (Blues/Auckland)
Jerome Kaino (Blues/Auckland)
Ardie Savea (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Liam Squire (Highlanders/Tasman)

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs/Waikato)
TJ Perenara (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Aaron Smith (Highlanders/Manawatu)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes/Taranaki)
Damian McKenzie (Chiefs/Waikato)
Lima Sopoaga (Highlanders/Southland)

Midfielders
Ngani Laumape (Hurricanes/Manawatu)
Anton Lienert-Brown (Chiefs/Waikato)
Charlie Ngatai (Chiefs/Taranaki)
Sonny Bill Williams (Blues/Counties Manukau)

Back Three
Rieko Ioane (Blues/Auckland)
Nehe Milner-Skudder (Hurricanes/Manawatu)
Waisake Naholo (Highlanders/Taranaki)
Julian Savea (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Ben Smith (Highlanders/Otago)

Utility Back
Jordie Barrett (Hurricanes/Taranaki)
Richard Buckman (Highlanders/Hawke's Bay)

Uncapped players are in italics.
The new faces are Richard Buckman and Atu Moli, while Tom Franklin and Akira Ioane return to the wider squad.
Crusaders players were not considered due to the final this weekend.

Meanwhile, SBW's appeal has been upheld, and he is free to play the first Bledisloe test.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, SBW's appeal has been upheld, and he is free to play the first Bledisloe test.

Would they *want* to play him? I've always thought of him as the Southern Hemisphere equivelant of Gavin Henson.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Good to see the Barracuda get the nod. He's been consistent for a few seasons now.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

Tickets at Ellis Park sold out in 48 hours, and already jokes are going around that you have to respect the Crusaders fans who make the trip as flights from Cape Town aren't cheap.

Ha ha, over here it's really cheap for Kiwis to attend the Bledisloe, at least in Sydney. There's a free bus from Coogee Bay to the stadium for ticket holders.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

Would they *want* to play him? I've always thought of him as the Southern Hemisphere equivelant of Gavin Henson.

Unlike Gavin Henson, he hasn't actually wasted his considerable talent. He stands out, but he's not exactly slathering himelf in tan-in-a-can or swanning about on reality shows like The Bachelor.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Holy poo poo, Tamanivalu is fast.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

thatsa red

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
The Lions fought back well, I thought. Just a bit too tough with only 14.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Kind of a shame because their fight-back was excellent and the Crusaders were starting to fatigue in the last 20.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rugby Championship squads have all been named:

All Blacks
Hookers
Dane Coles (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Nathan Harris (Chiefs/Bay of Plenty)
Codie Taylor (Crusaders/Canterbury)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders/Canterbury)
Owen Franks (Crusaders/Canterbury)
Nepo Laulala (Chiefs/Counties Manukau)
Joe Moody (Crusaders/Canterbury)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Blues/Auckland)

Locks
Scott Barrett (Crusaders/Taranaki)
Brodie Retallick (Chiefs/Hawke's Bay)
Luke Romano (Crusaders/Canterbury)
Sam Whitelock (Crusaders/Canterbury)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (Chiefs/Bay of Plenty)
Vaea Fifita (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Jerome Kaino (Blues/Auckland)
Kieran Read, (Captain, Crusaders/Counties Manukau)
Ardie Savea (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Liam Squire (Highlanders/Tasman)

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs/Waikato)
TJ Perenara (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Aaron Smith (Highlanders/Manawatu)

Five-Eighths
Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes/Taranaki)
Lima Sopoaga (Highlanders/Southland)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (Crusaders/Canterbury)
Ngani Laumape (Hurricanes/Manawatu)
Anton Lienert-Brown (Chiefs/Waikato)
Sonny Bill Williams (Blues/Counties Manukau)

Back Three
Israel Dagg (Crusaders/Hawke's Bay)
Rieko Ioane (Blues/Auckland)
Nehe Milner-Skudder (Hurricanes/Manawatu)
Waisake Naholo (Highlanders/Taranaki)
Ben Smith (Highlanders/Otago)

Utility backs
Jordie Barrett (Hurricanes/Taranaki)
Damian McKenzie (Chiefs/Waikato)

Wallabies
Hookers
Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (Western Force)
Jordan Uelese (Melbourne Rebels)

Props
Allan Alaalatoa (Brumbies)
Tetera Faulkner (Western Force)
Sekope Kepu (Waratahs)
Tom Robertson (Waratahs)
Scott Sio (Brumbies)

Locks
Rory Arnold (Brumbies)
Adam Coleman (Western Force)
Kane Douglas (Queensland Reds)
Izack Rodda (Queensland Reds)
Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)

Loose Forwards
Jack Dempsey (Waratahs)
Ned Hanigan (Waratahs)
Michael Hooper (Captain, Waratahs)
Adam Korczyk (Queensland Reds)
Sean McMahon (Melbourne Rebels)
Lopeti Timani (Melbourne Rebels)

Halfbacks
Will Genia (unattached, formerly of Stade Francais)
Nick Phipps (Waratahs)
Joe Powell (Brumbies)

Five-Eighths
Bernard Foley (Waratahs)
Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)

Midfielders
Samu Kerevi (Queensland Reds)
Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies)
Bill Meakes (Western Force)

Back Three
Israel Folau (Waratahs)
Dane Haylett-Petty (Western Force)
Marika Koroibete (Melbourne Rebels)
Izaia Perese (Queensland Reds)
Curtis Rona (Western Force)
Henry Speight (Brumbies)

Utility Back
Reece Hodge (Melbourne Rebels)

Springboks
Hookers
Malcolm Marx (Lions)
Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers)
Mahlatse Ralepelle (Sharks)

Props
Lizo Gqoboka (Bulls)
Steven Kitshoff (Stormers)
Frans Malherbe (Stormers)
Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks)
Trevor Nyakane (Bulls)
Coenie Oosthuizen (Sharks)

Locks
Lood de Jager (Bulls)
Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers)
Eben Etzebeth (Stormers)
Franco Mostert (Lions & Ricoh Black Rams)

Loose Forwards
Uzair Cassiem (Cheetahs)
Dan du Preez (Sharks)
Jean-Luc du Preez (Sharks)
Siya Kolisi (Stormers)
Jaco Kriel (Stormers & Kubota Spears)
Oupa Mohoje (Cheetahs)

Halfbacks
Ross Cronje (Lions)
Francois Hougaard (Worcester Warriors)
Rudy Paige (Bulls)

Five-Eighths
Curwin Bosch (Sharks)
Elton Jantjies (Lions & NTT Shining Arcs)
Handre Pollard (Bulls)

Midfielders
Damian de Allende (Stormers)
Jesse Kriel (Bulls)
Jan Serfontein (Bulls)
Francois Venter (Bulls)

Back Three
Andries Coetzee (Lions)
Warrick Gelant (Bulls)
Dillyn Leyds (Stormers)
Raymond Rhule (Cheetahs)
Courtnall Skosan (Lions)

Pumas
Hookers
Agustin Creevy (Captain, Jaguares)
Julian Montoya (Jaguares)

Props
Santiago Garcia Botta (Jaguares)
Ramiro Herrera (Jaguares)
Lucas Noguera Paz (Jaguares)
Enrique Pieretto (Jaguares)
Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro (Jaguares)

Locks
Matias Alemanno (Jaguares)
Marcos Kremer (Jaguares)
Tomas Lavanini (Jaguares)
Guido Petti Pagadizabal (Jaguares)

Loose Forwards
Rodrigo Baez (Jaguares)
Juan Manuel Leguizamon (Jaguares)
Tomas Lezana (Jaguares)
Benjamin Macome (Jaguares)
Pablo Matera (Jaguares)
Javier Ortega Desio (Jaguares)
Leonardo Senatore (Jaguares)

Halfbacks
Gonzalo Bertranou (Jaguares)
Tomas Cubelli (Brumbies)
Martin Landajo (Jaguares)

Five-Eighths
Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias (Jaguares)
Nicolas Sanchez (Jaguares)

Midfielders
Jeronimo de la Fuente (Jaguares)
Bautista Ezcurra (Jaguares)
Juan Martin Hernandez (Jaguares)
Matias Moroni (Jaguares)
Matias Orlando (Jaguares)

Back Three
Emaliano Boffelli (Jaguares)
Santiago Cordero (Jaguares)
Manuel Montero (Jaguares)
Ramiro Moyano (Jaguares)
Joaquin Tuculet (Jaguares)

I've underlined the new caps.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

It's amazing how few lions are in the sa squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Their regular captain, Warren Whiteley plays for the Lions but he's been injured out of rugby for a while. We probably won't see him until maybe the Autumn internationals.